El Paso City Council approves resolution asking for debate on l...

The City Council on Tuesday approved a resolution expressing solidarity with Juarez during its current wave of drug-related violence and asking the U.S. Government to seriously begin a debate on the ... Full Story
First Prev
of 45
Next Last
whatever

El Paso, TX

#1 Jan 6, 2009
legalizing drugs is not going to help..let Mexico help themselves don't involve us and another thing kick the mayor of Jurez out of here, he doesn't need to be living here he needs to be in his city..COWARD
New Franchise

United States

#2 Jan 6, 2009
whatever wrote:
legalizing drugs is not going to help..let Mexico help themselves don't involve us and another thing kick the mayor of Jurez out of here, he doesn't need to be living here he needs to be in his city..COWARD
He is living in El Paso not to hide out from the cartel, but to start his on MexiDog resturant!!
Truth

El Paso, TX

#3 Jan 6, 2009
whatever wrote:
"Don't involve us" What rock did you climb out from under. Where do you think the illegal drug market is? Please speak for your own ignorance and don't involve me and the rest of the enlightened few by aligning your self with every one else.
curious

El Paso, TX

#4 Jan 6, 2009
Hmmmm...could it be? Wow, IT IS....VISION BY A POLITICAL BODY! Talk and discussion is a good start.
PROUD EL PASOAN

El Paso, TX

#5 Jan 6, 2009
I'm for starting discussions. However, my point of beginning on THIS issue is from the extreme right. I believe we should up the enforcement effort 100% to a zero-tolerence effect. Punishing 1st time offenders with mandatory clinical-treatment in order to mentally rehabilitate for drug dependencies. Mandatory treatment, light jail-time, parole, and community service for 2nd offenses. Deportation and non-parolable prison sentences for multiple offenses.

Absolutely no mother and child should be forced to use illegal drugs. Illegal drugs enslave us to evil forces.
Michael

United States

#6 Jan 6, 2009
Better yet, promote the drug war. More Mexicans will die. Drugs will be easily accessible in the schools in El Paso. Cheap drugs, like cheese, will continue to be available to the kids! Dealers will make loads of untaxed profits. In reality, promoting prohibition supports your local drug dealers. Are you in favor of promoting an illegal enterprise?!!

And in the the case of MJ, it is not the gateway drug, alcohol is! And we know that booze flows freely to any adult that wants to buy it! Maybe someone is finally thinking outside of the box about the lack of success of the 30 year war on drugs! Similar to the successes that occurred with alcohol prohibition.

I saw a recent picture on an old car that was calling for the end of alcohol prohibition. It had on the side of it "DO IT FOR THE CHILDREN"
Chuck a duck

El Paso, TX

#7 Jan 6, 2009
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
"Don't involve us" What rock did you climb out from under. Where do you think the illegal drug market is? Please speak for your own ignorance and don't involve me and the rest of the enlightened few by aligning your self with every one else.
So are you a drug user or trafficker? Do you enable anyone close to you thru money, hiding your head in the sand, allowing this to occur in your household? The drug market may be here but I do not take nor condone the use of illegal drugs. I don't associate with known drug users, dealers, or traffickers. I don't allow that around my house nor my children. Aside from proximity, how is it my problem?
EPMartin

Mansfield, TX

#8 Jan 6, 2009
Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
El Paso Taxpayer

Akron, OH

#9 Jan 6, 2009
WOW! I really underestimated the stupidity of our city council... Keep up the good work MORONS!

Since: Jan 08

United States

#10 Jan 6, 2009
In my opinion, at least marijuana should be legalized. Narcotics should remain illegal (MJ is not a narcotic) because they are far more dangerous.
El Paso Taxpayer

Akron, OH

#11 Jan 6, 2009
We can just legalize murder and kidnapping too while we're at it. Then all of Mexico's problems will be solved... Idiots!
hernandez elpaso

El Paso, TX

#12 Jan 6, 2009
This is Not the right answer to the problem. The experts from Juarez and from Mexico do Not have the correct solution. Look at the city of Juarez and what has become of it. If they had the solution to the narcotics Problem, they wouldn't be in the predicament that they are in right now. If the Mexican government can't solve it's own problems how are they going to solve ours by telling us what laws to pass and that are in favor of legalizing drugs.
Dime cuando el gobierno de mexico ha tenido una solution para su gente?
signed Hernandez from the valley
Eric

Bellefontaine, OH

#13 Jan 6, 2009
El Paso Taxpayer wrote:
We can just legalize murder and kidnapping too while we're at it. Then all of Mexico's problems will be solved... Idiots!
Murder and kidnapping have an unwilling 3rd party called a 'victim'. Drug use doesn't. Thanks to everyone who supports the war on drugs your making criminals rich. Drug use is part of human nature it has been with us since the dawn of time and will never stop. Legalize and regulate if you care about your children and want to bankrupt criminal organizations.
www.leap.cc
Hillary

El Paso, TX

#14 Jan 6, 2009
Just when you think the City Council couldn't be a bigger collection of left-wing nut-jobs.

I would like them to convince this resolution has some benefit to the tens of thousands of their EL PASO constituants whose lives and families have been adversely affected by drug and alcohol abuse.
El Paso Taxpayer

Akron, OH

#15 Jan 6, 2009
Legalizing it isn't going to bankrupt the dealers. They aren't just going to just give up and get a real job or become poor farmers. The violence isn't in America because we have laws, and we have the means to enforce them. Legalizing drugs will only hurt our children and future generations. Mexico made their bed- now they lay in it... We should keep enforcing our laws and make sure Mexico's violence doesn't come over here. It's sad, but legalizing drugs is not going to fix Mexico.
Kirk

Mesa, AZ

#16 Jan 6, 2009
75 years ago we re-legalized alcohol because of the crime and corruption that its prohibition caused.

Only legal products can be regulated,
controlled and taxed. Criminalizing a product puts control in the hands of criminals and children.

95 years ago pure pharmaceutical grade
Bayer heroin was sold in grocery stores with no questions asked.
Should we do that today? No. It should only be sold in licensed pharmacies and kept behind the counter.
Jaime

San Francisco, CA

#17 Jan 6, 2009
City Council members? What a bunch of idiots!! Pure stupidty and cowardice. Legalizing drugs is not the answer. Get tough now - enforce the laws we have now. No mercy.
Just info

United States

#18 Jan 6, 2009
Legalize Drugs. Lets see so we can buy crack, and heroin at the grocery store? How about Cocaine? How about LSD or Meth? Where do we draw the line? I say make it as in other countries, death for drug dealers. If you deal drugs which is just another name for death then you die. This is weather you are a citizen or not. That would save us from multiple invasions from the same dealer. You get caught dealing or smuggling drugs then you die.
I guess this will not be a popular idea as the people around here would rather jail the Border Patrol than a Drug Dealer.
Too Simplistic

El Paso, TX

#19 Jan 6, 2009
Thus far, you are the only one who has cited historical evidence for legalizing drugs. Everyone else on here is just waxing idiotic. "Zero tolerance" is also known as "zero logic."
Kirk wrote:
75 years ago we re-legalized alcohol because of the crime and corruption that its prohibition caused.
controlled and taxed. Criminalizing a product puts control in the hands of criminals and children.
Should we do that today? No. It should only be sold in licensed pharmacies and kept behind the counter.
El Paso Taxpayer

Akron, OH

#20 Jan 6, 2009
Kirk wrote:
I agree... IF there is a pharmeceutical use for the drug. I could care less about medical MJ and pain killers precribed by docs. But I don't see any positive uses for Meth, Crack, Extasy, coke,... etc.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 45
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Paso Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Murders up, but El Paso still safe, Texas lawma... 35 min Justifiable Redrum 3
Federal review verifies long waits for veterans... 39 min huey goins 15
Make a Christmas Wish { Please Limit to 3 wishe... (Dec '13) 41 min huey goins 44
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 1 hr 98 Degree Diarrhea 595
Cuva 4 hr huey goins 5
Poncho_NM Running Off City Data El Paso Members (Nov '13) 6 hr petro dorado 43
Should Petro be Banned from this Forum? (Aug '12) 14 hr POS 2,200
El Paso Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

El Paso People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

El Paso News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in El Paso

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]