Since: May 09

Camden, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2009

Instead of creating another poll that allows people to vote for themselves over and over, and in the hopes that people will remain somewhat civilized in their opinions, I would like to have a decent discussion on the upcoming elections in our area.

To begin, your candidates for Mayor of El Dorado will apparently be Dianne Hammond and Yancey Kyle. Mrs. Hammond has been on the city council for several terms. Mr. Kyle has served as Union County Director of Emergency Management for several years.

Your candidates for Union County Judge will apparently be Mark Smith and Mike Loftin. Mr. Smith is a former state representative and owns Mark Smith Communications. Mr. Loftin has served as Union County Road Foreman for several years.

Your candidates for State Representative, District 6, will apparently be Dr. Ken Bridges and Matthew Sheppard. Dr. Bridges is a professor of history at South Arkansas Community College. Mr. Sheppard is an attorney.

I would like this discussion to be focused on your choices for these offices and not to be a place for airing the typical junk associated with this site in general. Please remain as civil as possible when opining.
Well

El Dorado, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2009

Good luck.

Mayor - My choice between those two would be Kyle. I think it is time for new ideas and new blood in El Dorado, and Kyle fits the bill.

Judge - No preference. I'm not really all that familiar with either gentleman.

State Rep - Matthew is an acquaintence of mine. I know him to be an outstanding young man with impeccable morals. Unfortunately, I do not know Ken. Thus, without a basis to compare the two, I would have to choose that which I am familiar with, and that would be Matthew.
Hombre

Tyler, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2009

Mayor - even though I don't live in the city, I would like to see Mr. Kyle in office. As stated above, new leadership is needed in El Dorado.

County Judge - I'm torn on this one. I think Mike Loftin would be the person for the job if the upkeep of roads, bridges, etc. were the only thing involved in it. But, there is also grant writing, etc. that would take a strong business background to accomlish, and I think Mr. Smith would be better at that.

State Rep - I'd like to hear from both these candidates before making a choice. I don't know much about either of them.
El Do Voter

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2009

Mayor: Dianne has served on the city council and done a good job. Yancey has done a good job with emergency management. El Dorado would do well with either of them.

County Judge: Mark Smith has been a state rep and a businessman. Good father and family man. He knows the county well. He would bring a lot of good qualities to the office.

State Rep: Ken Bridges is very active in the community and would be the best choice. People who work with him at the college think very highly of him. He's an honest, considerate, good Christian man.
Don

Hurricane, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2009

That Kale Carey guy has my vote , he's on the radio a lot
Johnny Bs

Hurricane, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2009

Judged:

Wow, is Kale Cary going to be running?
He would make a great Mayor! have you ever seem him without a smile and a kind word? and I know he is very smart, politically and economically, a good solid choice I'd say.
Yancy seems a little young, and Hammond, I just don't know much about her.

icantbelieveit

Camden, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2009

WOW! Five responses and no mudslinging libelous remarks about the candidates? Is this not El Dorado Topix? I am proud of you guys. A great topic and very helpful responses. Though I am not a Republican, I do think Mark Smith would be a fine county judge. Intelligent,thoughtful and organized, plus just a good guy. I have not heard anywhere except here that Matt Shepherd is interested in being our next State Rep. If it's true, we are lucky. This guy is sharp as they come, a great family man and, most importantly, knows what is good law and what isn't. I have not decided about the mayor's race, but look forward to learning more about the candidates.
downtown dan

Camden, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2009

If indeed the mayors race is a primary between Dianne Hammond and Yancey Kyle, I firmly believe Mr. Kyle will win that election. He will give El Dorado a new face of leadership and I happen to know first hand that he is always open to listening to great ideas. It appears Mrs. Hammond does not have the support she would need to be victorious against Mr. Kyle.

I am at a loss as to who I believe would be the best county judge. Mr. Loftin has years of experience working in county government but I do not know what his business philosophy is. Mr. Smith has elected experience, but I am concerned about his ego. I would assume that Mr. Smith has the better business sense.

The state rep race will be very close. The folks in the high society loop will go with Mr. Sheppard, but the city at large will vote Democratic, and that might be enough to carry Dr. Bridges over the top in a general election.

Something I would like to add that has not been mentioned as of yet, is the fact that Bill Hickman will be running for sheriff against Ken Jones. I am sure that race will be just as interesting as the last sheriff's race. Hopefully it will be more civil.
bigolegoodone

Choudrant, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2009

mike loftin haha take a ride down most county roads.besides dont you need a personality....
Bakers Dozen

Hurricane, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2009

Is Kale Cary running or not?
Newstimes claims he is in the running.
Hurricane, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2009

Is that Cary or Carey?
Bakers Dozen

Hurricane, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2009

Judged:

I believe its Cary

I think he would do great and listen to the People
Well

El Dorado, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2009

downtown dan wrote:
Something I would like to add that has not been mentioned as of yet, is the fact that Bill Hickman will be running for sheriff against Ken Jones. I am sure that race will be just as interesting as the last sheriff's race. Hopefully it will be more civil.
I had heard that Bill was running, but that Ken would not be. Only time will tell.
rumor has it

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2009

I heard Ken Jones was running and Matt Sheppard decided not to

Does anybody here know for sure what Bob Watson is going to do now?
downtown dan

Camden, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2009

Mr. Watson is not going to run. He has dedicated his time to finishing seeing through the new high school.

Now concerning this Kale Cary, could someone explain who he is and what he does? I have never heard of him.
This just in

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2009

Dwain Miller is running for mayor!
downtown dan

Camden, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2009

Quit with the b.s. and rumor.
El Dorado voter

Hurricane, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2009

downtown dan wrote:
Mr. Watson is not going to run. He has dedicated his time to finishing seeing through the new high school.
Now concerning this Kale Cary, could someone explain who he is and what he does? I have never heard of him.
I heard speak at Rotary last year, a life-long El Dorado resident who studied Economics at SAU and at ULAR, he gained top honors and all that jazz, worked with the Walmart Corporation a while and Someone told me he is now at a local bank. He seemed quite intelligent and was entertaining. That is all I know.
Most interesting man

Hurricane, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2009

Vote Cary
Save El Dorado
Mt Holly Man

El Dorado, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2009

The election for state rep is going to turn on job growth and education. Ken Bridges is going to dominate those issues in the election through his work at the college. He is an expert on education issues and is involved with economic growth issues through his work on local commissions and civic clubs. This seat will stay Democratic.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of39
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

37 Users are viewing the El Dorado Forum right now

Search the El Dorado Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 3 min ROTFL 27,883
Blakney Byrant 4 min never heard of it 10
getready 7 min Bob 11
C.S. and B.P. affair 1 hr scab 16
eracism 1 hr to dumbass man 2
infested with moon crickets 1 hr dammit man 11
Scared!!!!! 3 hr SOS 2
•••

Flood Warning for Union County was issued at April 16 at 10:09AM CDT