Fatal Accident in Effingham on Interstate

Posted in the Effingham Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 79 Comments Last updated Oct 30, 2013
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Please Help

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jul 26, 2008
 
Does anyone know anything about a fatal accident in Effingham, IL today? It happened on the interstate (I'm sorry don't know the interstate number) just a while ago?
I do not live close but I know someone that was involved and they are so distraught they can't talk to us about it.
Thank you so much for any info that is on the news.
Julie

Two Rivers, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jul 26, 2008
 
I am on the phone with my sister who has been stopped for about 45 minutes on Hwy 57 south, out of Effingham. She said that all vehicles are exiting at exit 160 and the highway is closed. Could this possibly be the highway you are looking for? I'm not very familiar with Illinois either. I hope this helps.
Please Help

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jul 26, 2008
 
I'm sure this is the wreck in question. Thank you so much for getting me the exit number that is probably pretty close to the scene. I appreciate the help so much!
judy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jul 26, 2008
 
yes, I was there on I-70 behind the accident and I am trying to find out what happened - I was able to get passed it and continue on 70, but it was a major accident with multiple fatalities out on the road.
Julie

Two Rivers, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jul 26, 2008
 
My sister was on her way home to the St. Louis area from my house in Wisconsin. She called me to see what I could find on the internet because she had been at a standstill for so long. That is how I happened upon this site. When she got to finally exit off the highway she could see what appeared to be a car and a couple tractor trailer trucks involved, but she really couldn't tell what happened very well. "Please Help", have you talked to your friend/family member that was involved? Are they OK? Were they able to give you any more information? "Judy", I'm glad you were able to get passed the area OK. Did you have to wait a long time?
keith

Vandalia, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jul 27, 2008
 
I can't find anything in the IL crash reports.
I talked to two troopers when finally exiting 160 -- 12 troopers/police were dealing with the accident. One of the two troopers I talked to could have directed traffic at exit 160 intersection and improved the flow by 2x or more. Instead, it appears, they stood around and kept each other company.
Kris from Bunker HIll IL

Carlinville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jul 27, 2008
 
We were on our way back from Clay City coming home to Bunker Hill, IL when I had to take the exit right after the area of the accident. I saw two tractor trailers and one of those was in a ditch and it was smashed. I did not see the cars. After we got home there were others (my father in law was burried in Clay City yesterday) and they told us about 5 sheets on the street. 2 semi's and 2 cars. I still have not found out about this on any news station.
Please Help

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jul 27, 2008
 
Julie -
Thank you for your concern. Actually my dad's truck was one of the semi's involved. It is a horrible situation because his driver called to say he ran over a man and killed him. We were devastated when we heard the news. When I first came on here, I knew nothing of the details of the accident because my dad's driver was so distraught, he could not talk...I feel so sorry for the man and his family that was killed. I feel sorry for my dad because depending on if his driver is at fault, my dad stands to lose everything he has worked his life for. It is just a sad situation all around. I do not know any other details as they are still coming in but from the little details we are getting is there was already a wreck on the side of the road when my dad's driver was involved. I just pray for the family that lost their loved one. Thank you for information that your town has given me...
Rosi S Marengo IL

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jul 27, 2008
 
My husband and I were coming home from Memphis and were headed Norht on I-57. Traffic was slow but we were able to pass the scene of the accident it appeared we were going by shortly after the authorities had arrived. My husband is a diesel engine mechanic and has seen many accidents and semi's/tractor trailers after accidents. Here is his thoughts on what happened. On I-57 south, one tractor trailer possibly pulled over to the side of the road and was parked. A second tractor trailer swerved, could have been for a number of reasons, when he tried to correct the swerve he clipped the car behind him, continued towards the right side of the road, hit the back end of the parked tractor trailer. The tractor trailer which was swerving took out the front right side of his cab and the front right side to approximately the first quarter of his trailer. The moving tractor trailer ended up in the ditch coming up on the northbound side of I-57. There were two white sheets on the south bound lane of I-57, one can only assume, since no one has any details of what was under the two white sheets. The tractor trailer which ended up closer to the north bound I-57 was very tore up, you could see inside the cab, sleeper and trailer. The tractor trailer which was sitting in the south bound lane of I-57 you could see inside his trailer on the back left side, it looked like it had been peeled open.
I am not sure which of those tractor trailers was your fathers, and I am not sure whose family vehicle it was as I can not find any news about it on the internet. God bless each person involved wether at the scene or at home, my families prayers are with you.
melissa

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jul 27, 2008
 
i was unfortunately one of the first ones on the scene of this terrible accident. what happened was a woman driving a small car ran into the back of a semi. she was ok but her airbags deployed and she had several cuts and bruises. the man driving the semi truck got out to make sure she was ok. he had put out his orange cones and everything . they were pulled over onto the shoulder of the road. another semi came by and did not get over into the other lane and ran into the side of the semi and ran over the semi driver. i was first to run to the driver along with the driver of the other semi who had ended up in the median. lets just say there was nothing left to do because there was nothing let of him. it is and will probably be the most horrific thing i have ever seen and i have been a nurse for 17 years. i just pray for all the families involved and pray that everyone will take a couple seconds when they are driving to think what the cost of being in too much of a hurry can cost you and others. does 5 minutes ever make that much difference. put down the cell phones and stop eating and watch the road and be safe.
Jamie

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jul 27, 2008
 
it happened on I-57 in the South bound lanes
Mary

Shelbyville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jul 27, 2008
 
Jamie wrote:
it happened on I-57 in the South bound lanes
I went by the accident while there were still white sheets on the interstate..there were two of them that I could see. If the driver was killed who was under the other sheet? Anyone know anymore details?
Bill

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jul 27, 2008
 
Please Help wrote:
Julie -
Thank you for your concern. Actually my dad's truck was one of the semi's involved. It is a horrible situation because his driver called to say he ran over a man and killed him. We were devastated when we heard the news. When I first came on here, I knew nothing of the details of the accident because my dad's driver was so distraught, he could not talk...I feel so sorry for the man and his family that was killed. I feel sorry for my dad because depending on if his driver is at fault, my dad stands to lose everything he has worked his life for. It is just a sad situation all around. I do not know any other details as they are still coming in but from the little details we are getting is there was already a wreck on the side of the road when my dad's driver was involved. I just pray for the family that lost their loved one. Thank you for information that your town has given me...
.

Does anyone know the trucking companies that were involved. You say one was your dads company? Curious about how this all happened
Bill

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jul 27, 2008
 
Who were the trucking companies. How many fatalities were there
Rita in Jefferson City MO

Oak Grove, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jul 27, 2008
 
We were sitting in this traffic MESS - took 1 1/2 hours to move less than 4 miles. So curious that I went searching for cause. VERY SAD news about those involved. Our prayers go out to all. One never knows - and we don't think it is ever going to be "us". Having said that - my husband & I travel a LOT. This is the WORSE patrol/police worked accident we have EVER SEEN. We will be sending comments to Illinois State Patrol. Once we FINALLY arrived at Exit 160, we were ASTOUNDED that there was NO LAW ENFORCEMET directing traffic. Traffic was actually being controled by the USUAL STOP LIGHTS, so only a few vehicles through at a time. WE COULDN'T BELIEVE IT !!! Then once exited, no was routing traffic through town. It was obvious MOST drivers did not know what route to take to come back out on I-70. We had an Atlas, but not everyone is so fortunate. There were young ladies, traveling alone from out-of-state (Texas, Arkansas & others) that obviously had no clue where to go once they took Exit 160. It was the MOST INCOMPETENT POLICE/HIGHWAY PATROL work we have ever witnessed. We assume traffic was backed up for more than 20 miles on the Interstate. That puts othes at risk for accidents, burns a LOT of fuel nedlessly. Surely there were people running out of gas & probably those with health issues, etc. We did see several young boys exit the family vehicle to relieve themselves in a nearby field. Again, very sad situation but it was made SO much worse for ALL travelers involved by the TOTAL INCOMPETENCE of Law Enforcement.
Please Help

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jul 27, 2008
 
melissa wrote:
i was unfortunately one of the first ones on the scene of this terrible accident. what happened was a woman driving a small car ran into the back of a semi. she was ok but her airbags deployed and she had several cuts and bruises. the man driving the semi truck got out to make sure she was ok. he had put out his orange cones and everything . they were pulled over onto the shoulder of the road. another semi came by and did not get over into the other lane and ran into the side of the semi and ran over the semi driver. i was first to run to the driver along with the driver of the other semi who had ended up in the median. lets just say there was nothing left to do because there was nothing let of him. it is and will probably be the most horrific thing i have ever seen and i have been a nurse for 17 years. i just pray for all the families involved and pray that everyone will take a couple seconds when they are driving to think what the cost of being in too much of a hurry can cost you and others. does 5 minutes ever make that much difference. put down the cell phones and stop eating and watch the road and be safe.
Melissa
I know there are certain people out there that can handle a crisis like this and thank God for them that tend to our families in times of need. I could never be a paramedic, nurse, etc...
This has changed my life, perspective, etc regarding our responsibilities we have for the actions we take.
Please Help

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jul 27, 2008
 
Bill wrote:
<quoted text>.
Does anyone know the trucking companies that were involved. You say one was your dads company? Curious about how this all happened
Bill
I'm sorry I don't think I need to put personal information on a public forum. I hope you don't think I'm being rude.
Rita in Jefferson City MO

Oak Grove, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jul 27, 2008
 
Was the lady who originally rearended the Semi involved in any way when the second semi struck ?
Rita in Jefferson City MO

Oak Grove, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jul 27, 2008
 
keith wrote:
I can't find anything in the IL crash reports.
I talked to two troopers when finally exiting 160 -- 12 troopers/police were dealing with the accident. One of the two troopers I talked to could have directed traffic at exit 160 intersection and improved the flow by 2x or more. Instead, it appears, they stood around and kept each other company.
WE KNOW ... WASN'T IT AMAZING THAT NO ONE WAS DIRECTING TRAFFIC !!!! After we exited the Interstate, we took Hwy 40. There we finally saw ONE local police office & instead of helping direct traffic, he was pulled off the road "chatting" with a guy in a pick-up truck ! TOTAL INCOMPETENCE on the part of the local Police/Sheriff and WHERE WAS THE HIGHWAY PATROL ??? We saw NOT ONE on the Interstate helping with the traffic MESS !!! Shame on the Illinois Highway Patrol !!!!
Saluki_fan

Murphysboro, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jul 27, 2008
 
My dh and I came upon this accident very shortly after it happened (traffic was still moving albeit s-l-o-w-l-y). The Effingham police officer was driving up and down the interstate, one guy by a firetruck was trying to direct traffic. As my husband and I got off on the exit my dh said he saw evidence of a fatality on the road. I told him there was no way that could be the case but from what I have read above it sounds that that is what happened (also sounds like the reason for more than one sheet). It seems to me the firetruck or the police cruiser could have pulled up in the grass to block the view of passing motorists from the gore of the horrible scene. Also, as we continued south it was several miles before we saw a IL state trooper headed to the scene.

Effingham PD should be able to conduct themselves more professionally and show much more respect to the victims than what was demonstrated. Very very sad.

Does anyone else think it strange that this is the only site with any information at all about this horrible accident?!?!?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Effingham Discussions

Search the Effingham Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 3 hr raphael 3,841
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 5 hr Terry rigsby 48,989
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) Jul 27 newpoly 1,864
IL Who do you support for Secretary of State in Il... (Oct '10) Jul 27 Chicagobunny 526
Disclosure controversy /numerous posts & thread... Jul 20 payattentiondearie 19
who knows Elizabeth Lewis ? Jul 18 Johnny 1
IL Who do you support for Attorney General in Illi... (Oct '10) Jul 16 rdarbin 641
•••
•••
•••
Effingham Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Effingham Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Effingham People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Effingham News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Effingham
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••