Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.
Comments
28,701 - 28,720 of 45,798 Comments Last updated 7 hrs ago

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2012

Judged:

NobodyYouEverWantToKnow, alias:
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
If you could actually read the masses of information available to any intelligence[sic] and educated person, you would'nt[sic] have to spend so much time on Ad-Hominem[sic].
So you never use ad hominem?
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
Given your increasing incoherence, wandering mind, and lack of intelligent rebuttal, you should see if you can find a nursing home with an opening.
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
Nor do I care. Now crawl back under your rock.
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
.Note that it is PRONOUNCED as 'spelt' but only an ignorant boor thinks it is SPELLED as spelt.
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
Of course, you aren't paranoid. You [undoubtably] do have enemies.
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
No. You apparently don't despite many many posts on the subject. I therefore consider senility as a likely hypothesis. An not just because of your age. In my opinion, nobody can be that dense without a serious medical problem.
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
Mr Dirtling is of course, the most ignorant person here. He is therefore the most dangerous.
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
Say Mr. Dirtling. Do you spell your middle name Dufus or Doofus?
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
Get a brain transplant. THINK about what the cliam 'vital to life' means. Even OXYGEN is not 'vital to life' as there are ANAEROBIC bacterial that are KILLED by oxygen.
Got a clue yet?
NobodyYouEverWantToKnow wrote:
Your faith is touching but based on nothing but fecal matter.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2012

Judged:

The Lying Mormon wrote:
Have I ever told you, anti-Mormon bigots make me sick?
IAmDigitap

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2012

Judged:

The Lying Mormon wrote:
"I believe the world’s getting warmer. I can’t prove that, but I believe based on what I read that the world is getting warmer. And number two, I believe that humans contribute to that.”
It's plain who missed the past T.H.R.E.E. YEARS' NEWS as

T.H.O.U.S.A.N.D.S. of EMAILS and

MODEL PROGRAMMER FILE N.O.T.E.S.

confessed KNOWING the world wasn't WARMING,

and DESPERATELY trying to S.P.I.N. the F.R.A.U.D.

that AL GORE *ACCIDENTALLY TOOK FROM SMOOTH STEAL TO EXPOSED DEAL.*

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2012

Judged:

LessFactMoreHype wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet the fact is that the statistics on 'gun ownership' in Switzerland are highly skewed by the fact that every homeowner has a militia rifle and requisite militia training. It is NOT a haven for open ownership of guns.
And yes. Even the US has different rules in different states just as the Swiss Cantons have different rules on PRIVATE guns.
You are the one that started this whole discussion. I don't know where you got your info from, but it was nowhere close to the link you posted. In that link, it said that the population is only 6M. Out of that, 500k of rifles and 600k of handguns are owned by the public. It also says there are VERY FEW restrictions on gun possession and buying of same. It says that although women are not required to own a weapon, it is encouraged. Now, why would a government ENCOURAGE anyone to own guns if your claim of the country being "heavily regulated" is true (which it isn't)? Why would a government sell its outdated equipment to its citizens if it wanted to "strictly regulate" guns and weapons? That doesn't add up. Want to finally post where you are getting your info? Because, what you linked to, has NOTHING to support your wild claims. Go back and R-E-A-D it yourself.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2012

Judged:

fishaholic wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the one that started this whole discussion.
Actually not. The issue was already heated when I joined in.
fishaholic wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know where you got your info from,
It is not hard to find out about it on google. You must have a VERY poor internet service if you cannot find the facts and apparently you cannot.

here. Try this one.

half a million rifles just in terms of SIG 550 rifles. NOT private ownership. And that is just for the citizens militia. Their fathers and grandfathers rifles are also probably stored in many cases.

http://worldradio.ch/wrs/news/video/staring-d...

"Guns and shooting are a strong Swiss tradition. Basic military training is mandatory for young men, and afterwards they’re required to keep their weapon at home."

This also discusses central armories since the locked storage can be opened by a depressed person.

This is NOT the 'gun ownership' culture of the USA.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

LessFactMoreHype wrote:
This also discusses central armories
Don't be ashamed of your language, Mr Undoubtably Spelt Fourty, be proud, add the U (when it's necessary) in Canada it's spelt armoury, armouries plural.
But forty still doesn't have a U.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

List of armouries in Canada
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_armourie...

“dening those who deny nature. ”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
It is not hard to find out about it on google. You must have a VERY poor internet service if you cannot find the facts and apparently you cannot.
here. Try this one.
half a million rifles just in terms of SIG 550 rifles. NOT private ownership. And that is just for the citizens militia. Their fathers and grandfathers rifles are also probably stored in many cases.
"Guns and shooting are a strong Swiss tradition. Basic military training is mandatory for young men, and afterwards they’re required to keep their weapon at home."
This also discusses central armories since the locked storage can be opened by a depressed person.
How would you know what the gun ownership culture? After all, you do not own a gun and I doubt you know many if any people who own a gun so you cannot speak from personal experience. So your sources are all second hand and I would not be surprised if they were biased and based more on fiction than fact.

I on the other hand own a gun and know others and they are nice people. People who like the Swiss like to shoot and see who is the best shot. To them it has the same appeal as video games do to others.

YOu said that he must have poor internet service and poor research when you also suffer from poor research skills. Because it is obvious that you have yet to look for the facts. Then again I doubt you are interested in the facts.

“EnvironMENTAList ”

Since: Feb 07

Near Detroit

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever of any consensus anywhere that says all scientists agree that climate change will be a deadly threat, none! They all agree it is real however……………….a consultant’s wet dream? REAL planet lovers need REAL evidence to condemn their own children to the greenhouse gas ovens. And if it were a deadly threat, the millions in the global scientific community would be acting like it was a deadly threat to their kids as well.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

tina anne wrote:
YOu said that he must have poor internet service and poor research when you also suffer from poor research skills.
LessFact may have recently learned how to use a search engine, but he still has a long way to go before he masters it.
Why he can't find a reference to forty ever being spelt with a U in Canada is a mystery.
He gets so many things wrong, it's as if he never bothers to check before he posts.
Here's some of the garbage he spouts:
Etymology is not a serious subject
Deforestations is a consequence of AGW
Epistemologists compile dictionaries
Epystemologists compile dictionaries
Samuel Johnson was an American
Ice calving is restricted by size
Spelt is only an ancient grain
The equator doesn't have season
Cars can be charged with road collisions
Vikings didn't know how to live in a warmer Greenland
How much heat you are transferring at one time has NO relationship to the temperature of any objects
Alberta is a country
New Moore island is in the MOUTH of the several rivers
Insects and plants don't qualify as species
Enercon install offshore wind generators
Scientific laws are not science
Climate and weather are not 'linked'
Predictions are for astrologers
Ethanol is a very workable and effective solution
AGW is just the warming of the global average surface temperature due to GHGs
AGW is the global average
The science says that human emissions are responsible for MOST of AGW, which has SOME unknown but significant part of climate change
The IPCC report of 2001 and 2007 clearly show that GHGs are by far the largest contributor but not the exclusive contributor to AGW
America has two political parties
'nondenier' is a real word
Fruiting plants are especially chosen by bees for, "polination"
We acted on CFCs in the 70s
CO2 is not vital for life on planet Earth.
CO2 causes, "thermal pollution"
CO2 is a 'thermal pollutant'
CO2 levels are rising faster than the temperature can react
AGW is comparable to the Holocaust
Please show this 'ararmist club' and membership list.
And theory is the endpoint of science.
The 'unproven' stuff is 'hypothesis'.
The fact that all the scientific authorities confirm AGW as theory means that it IS science fact as defined.
There are no 'laws of science'
Scientific laws are NOT science
the science isn't going to change
While the science doesn't change rapidly it does change
And nowhere is there 'skepticism' of the science
Experiment is NOT science
Experiment can only give you data. It cannot PROVE anything

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
here. Try this one.
Again, from your own link:

"HEIM: The key to freedom is the ability to be able to defend yourself, and if you don’t have the tools to do that then you are at the mercy of anyone who wants to put you away. And the tools for that are guns."

His motivation? Visiting the Holocost museum. A bit of history. In part, how did the Holocost come about? The gov't (Hitler) started by confiscating firearms and made ownership illegal thereby disarming the population. He was then able to dictate anyone to do anything he wanted. And yet, you want a gov't to lock up all the guns and only give them out to people when IT thinks you need them? If you don't see a basic problem with that, you are either naive or dumb as a box of hammers. Maybe both?

This guy has it right. Your argument for banning guns in the home based on high suicide rate is bogus. If people want to off themselves, they will find a way. If it is not a gun, then a high building will do. A knife, car exhaust, household chemicals, precription drugs, etc, etc. Do you want to ban all those items too? The 2nd amendment in this country was designed to protect us from the gov't, not the other way around. It's all about checks and balances. It is now ever more important given all the gov't creeping into places in people's lives where it should never go. Bottom line is, you keep putting up links to support your claim and yet NONE of them have lived up to that. So far, the Swiss are 180 out from what you dream and hope for. Not even the US gov't would be willing to sponsor and support a national level shooting competition AND supplying the ammo and guns to do it. I would be the first in line if that were to happen. Taking the whole family to one of these in the US? OH THE HORROR OF IT ALL!!! Call me a "gun nut" if you want. However, this 'gun nut' will never be a fanatical, indiscriminate killer. There is absolutely nothing wrong(NOR ILLEGAL) with liking and participating in shooting sports. Maybe you should try a little gunpowder aromatherapy yourself. It might kill that bug that flew up your a$$ and get you to relax a little bit.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

fishaholic wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, gee. Someone said it. It must be true. NOT.

Can you not reason from facts or do you have to have 'someone said'?
fishaholic wrote:
<quoted text>
"HEIM: The key to freedom is the ability to be able to defend yourself,
Well then, all violent criminals are loose on the streets, according to you. After all, they had guns so they MUST be free.
fishaholic wrote:
<quoted text>
and if you don’t have the tools to do that then you are at the mercy of anyone who wants to put you away. And the tools for that are guns."
Guns are the ILLUSION of freedom. They actually have very little to do with it under most governments. They are key mainly to overthrowing governments (a laudable purpose if you can motivate a majority of the public to the need). But in peacetime, the easy access of guns leads to problems.
fishaholic wrote:
<quoted text>
His motivation? Visiting the Holocost museum.
I have NEVER said that guns have NO purpose. That is YOUR strawman.

Sometimes chaos is preferrable to an organized dictatorship. And out of that chaos may come something better. But there are no guarantees.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

fishaholic wrote:
"HEIM: The key to freedom is the ability to be able to defend yourself, and if you don’t have the tools to do that then you are at the mercy of anyone who wants to put you away. And the tools for that are guns."
His motivation? Visiting the Holocost museum. A bit of history. In part, how did the Holocost come about? The gov't (Hitler) started by confiscating firearms and made ownership illegal thereby disarming the population. He was then able to dictate anyone to do anything he wanted. And yet, you want a gov't to lock up all the guns and only give them out to people when IT thinks you need them? If you don't see a basic problem with that, you are either naive or dumb as a box of hammers. Maybe both?
This guy has it right. Your argument for banning guns in the home based on high suicide rate is bogus. If people want to off themselves, they will find a way. If it is not a gun, then a high building will do. A knife, car exhaust, household chemicals, precription drugs, etc, etc. Do you want to ban all those items too? The 2nd amendment in this country was designed to protect us from the gov't, not the other way around. It's all about checks and balances. It is now ever more important given all the gov't creeping into places in people's lives where it should never go. Bottom line is, you keep putting up links to support your claim and yet NONE of them have lived up to that. So far, the Swiss are 180 out from what you dream and hope for. Not even the US gov't would be willing to sponsor and support a national level shooting competition AND supplying the ammo and guns to do it. I would be the first in line if that were to happen. Taking the whole family to one of these in the US? OH THE HORROR OF IT ALL!!! Call me a "gun nut" if you want. However, this 'gun nut' will never be a fanatical, indiscriminate killer. There is absolutely nothing wrong(NOR ILLEGAL) with liking and participating in shooting sports. Maybe you should try a little gunpowder aromatherapy yourself. It might kill that bug that flew up your a$$ and get you to relax a little bit.
Just when you thought you could reason with LessFact..........
Along comes Mr Undoubtably Spelt Fourty.
Ö¿Ö
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>Just when you thought you could reason with LessFact..........
Ö¿Ö
Still got nothing huh?
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>Just when you thought you could reason with LessFact..........
Ö¿Ö
Tag team wrestling?

Just as 'real'.

LOL

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, gee. Someone said it. It must be true. NOT.
Can you not reason from facts or do you have to have 'someone said'?
<quoted text>
Well then, all violent criminals are loose on the streets, according to you. After all, they had guns so they MUST be free.
<quoted text>
Guns are the ILLUSION of freedom. They actually have very little to do with it under most governments. They are key mainly to overthrowing governments (a laudable purpose if you can motivate a majority of the public to the need). But in peacetime, the easy access of guns leads to problems.
<quoted text>
I have NEVER said that guns have NO purpose. That is YOUR strawman.
Sometimes chaos is preferrable to an organized dictatorship. And out of that chaos may come something better. But there are no guarantees.
At the risk of repeating myself, I will again remind you that it is YOUR link that YOU post here that I quote from. By your response, you don't even believe your own posts. Otherwise, why would you criticize me for quoting your own links? I think I was right. You ARE as dumb as a box of hammers.

You failed to comprehend anything I was saying. Which do you think would have a chance to maintain personal freedoms from a gov't(foreign or domestic)threat? An armed citizenry that maintain private ownership of firearms or an entire population that has no ability to repel total gov't takeover? Gov'ts can change almost overnight so it does no good in your utopian world to have all the arms under gov't lock & key. How will you defend yourself if the one that has the key is the same one that now controls your life against your wishes? How many private gun owners were in ANY of the old soviet bloc nations? Why do you think the gov't would NOT let its citizens own firearms? Do you think the US would even exist today if it weren't for its citizens arming themselves and fighting British control? NOW do you get my drift? If not, I can't put it in any simpler terms. Look up these stats. Compare how many LAW ABIDING citizens are RESPONSIBLE gun owners to how many people use guns in violent crimes. When was the last time you ever heard of a gang banger or other career criminal get a gun legally? Remember, stricter gun laws only affect the ones that abide by them. If you want to not be able to defend yourself, have at it. I value my freedom and life more than to just give up a means of defense to something or someone I don't believe in. I'm done reasoning with a box of hammers. They don't understand either.
Patriot AKA Bozo

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

fishaholic wrote:
<quoted text>
At the risk of repeating myself, I will again remind you that it is YOUR link that YOU post here that I quote from. By your response, you don't even believe your own posts. Otherwise, why would you criticize me for quoting your own links? I think I was right. You ARE as dumb as a box of hammers.
You failed to comprehend anything I was saying. Which do you think would have a chance to maintain personal freedoms from a gov't(foreign or domestic)threat? An armed citizenry that maintain private ownership of firearms or an entire population that has no ability to repel total gov't takeover? Gov'ts can change almost overnight so it does no good in your utopian world to have all the arms under gov't lock & key. How will you defend yourself if the one that has the key is the same one that now controls your life against your wishes? How many private gun owners were in ANY of the old soviet bloc nations? Why do you think the gov't would NOT let its citizens own firearms? Do you think the US would even exist today if it weren't for its citizens arming themselves and fighting British control? NOW do you get my drift? If not, I can't put it in any simpler terms. Look up these stats. Compare how many LAW ABIDING citizens are RESPONSIBLE gun owners to how many people use guns in violent crimes. When was the last time you ever heard of a gang banger or other career criminal get a gun legally? Remember, stricter gun laws only affect the ones that abide by them. If you want to not be able to defend yourself, have at it. I value my freedom and life more than to just give up a means of defense to something or someone I don't believe in. I'm done reasoning with a box of hammers. They don't understand either.
Guns do not guarantee freedom. We enjoy freedoms because of the kind of government that we enjoy. Not because we are armed. We do not need a skin-head mentality in opposition to our government to maintain it. Votes are more powerful than the gun. Our government is not the enemy. It is what keeps our society civil. There are problems today as there always have been but when the John Browns take things into their own hands those problems multiply.

I am not saying that gun ownership is bad. It is the love affair with guns that is dangerous.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

fishaholic wrote:
<quoted text>
At the risk of repeating myself, I will again remind you that it is YOUR link that YOU post here that I quote from....
I posted a link with some facts and some opinion. It is up to you to sort our which is which. If you can that is. I sometimes doubt you understand a thing, just 'repeat the lie' over and over and over in the hopes that others will give up and go away.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

fishaholic wrote:
<quoted text>
At the risk of repeating myself,..
Not too proud to borrow your tactic since I have to talk to a stupid child (or the mental equivalent)

"Well then, all violent criminals are loose on the streets, according to you. After all, they had guns so they MUST be free."

Want to try to actually RESPOND to the statement? It directly contradicts your claim that guns are freedom.

Guess you didn't see the sarcsasm?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2012

Judged:

LessFactMoreHype wrote:
Still got nothing huh?
Yes, I've still got lots of "nothing" and it was all written by you, Mr Undoubtably Spelt Fourty:
-
40 is spelt with a U
Etymology is not a serious subject
Deforestations is a consequence of AGW
Epistemologists compile dictionaries
Epystemologists compile dictionaries
Samuel Johnson was an American
Ice calving is restricted by size
Spelt is only an ancient grain
The equator doesn't have season
Cars can be charged with road collisions
Vikings didn't know how to live in a warmer Greenland
How much heat you are transferring at one time has NO relationship to the temperature of any objects
Alberta is a country
New Moore island is in the MOUTH of the several rivers
Insects and plants don't qualify as species
Enercon install offshore wind generators
Scientific laws are not science
Predictions are for astrologers
Ethanol is a very workable and effective solution
AGW is just the warming of the global average surface temperature due to GHGs
AGW is the global average
The science says that human emissions are responsible for MOST of AGW, which has SOME unknown but significant part of climate change
The IPCC report of 2001 and 2007 clearly show that GHGs are by far the largest contributor but not the exclusive contributor to AGW
America has two political parties
'nondenier' is a real word
Fruiting plants are especially chosen by bees for, "polination"
We acted on CFCs in the 70s
CO2 is not vital for life on planet Earth.
CO2 causes, "thermal pollution"
CO2 is a 'thermal pollutant'
CO2 levels are rising faster than the temperature can react
AGW is comparable to the Holocaust
Please show this 'ararmist club' and membership list.
And theory is the endpoint of science.
The 'unproven' stuff is 'hypothesis'.
The fact that all the scientific authorities confirm AGW as theory means that it IS science fact as defined.
There are no 'laws of science'
Scientific laws are NOT science
the science isn't going to change
While the science doesn't change rapidly it does change
And nowhere is there 'skepticism' of the science
Experiment is NOT science
Experiment can only give you data. It cannot PROVE anything

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
East Hartford Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

East Hartford Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••