Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

Full story: Newsday 46,675
When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore. Full Story

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#30390 May 29, 2012
NobodyYouEverWantToKnow, alias:
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
And the questions were of 'common knowledge' not 'science'.
Scientific discoveries become common knowledge.
NoFactAllHype wrote:
I.e ask ten people if the sun comes up in the morning or evening and nine of them will probably say morning. The other will say 'yes'.
And they'll all be wrong, the Sun doesn't 'come up' in the morning or evening.
Ask ten people how to spell 40 as a word, and nine will say forty, Mr Undoubtably Spelt Fourty.
NoFactAllHype wrote:
Science requires a much DEEPER understanding of facts than common knowledge.
We can only hope it has a deeper knowledge.
NoFactAllHype wrote:
So one more try at spin and misdirection by the denialist[sic] and their corporate backers.
Denialist is singular, Mr Undoubtably Spelt Fourty.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#30391 May 29, 2012
Global Warming or Cooling?
121 years of Failed Climate and Environmental Predictions

http://www.lowerwolfjaw.com/agw/quotes.htm

Just as the first, the latest group of doomsayers all had 'science' on their side.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#30393 May 29, 2012
The Lying Mormon wrote:
Mitt Romney:“I believe the world is getting warmer, and I believe that humans have contributed to that,” he told a crowd of about 200 at a town hall meeting in Manchester, New Hampshire.
“It’s important for us to reduce our emissions of pollutants and greenhouse gases that may be significant contributors.”
Romney has consistently moved to the right. He hasn't promised to mitigate climate change in his 2012 campaign for President. He hasn't said anything similar, since 2011.

Nowadays, Romney says he's not convinced the science is up to mitigating climate change.
Patriot AKA Bozo

Wichita, KS

#30394 May 29, 2012
Mothra wrote:
Global Warming or Cooling?
121 years of Failed Climate and Environmental Predictions
http://www.lowerwolfjaw.com/agw/quotes.htm
Just as the first, the latest group of doomsayers all had 'science' on their side.
You seem to forget that many of the problems facing mankind were solved because they were brought to our attention and averted because of it. The Y2K threat was a real threat but was contained because many computer folks corrected the code or patched around the obsolete hardware. The threat was real. The problem was taken care of. Likewise we can point to many potential threats that were corrected from asbestos to radium. Problems are never corrected by denying they exist.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#30395 May 29, 2012
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
The statistical variance in a study of this kind is far greater than the difference recorded.
I.e ask ten people if the sun comes up in the morning or evening and nine of them will probably say morning. The other will say 'yes'.
So one more try at spin and misdirection by the denialist and their corporate backers.
By corporate sponsors, do you mean the NSF? Hmm, isn't that one of the entities you have acknowledged as one of THE "academic trustworthy" leaders in MMCC? I'll bet you didn't even read the entire link. Otherwise, you would've seen this:

"As respondents’ science literacy scores increased, their concern with climate change decreased," the paper, which was funded by the National Science Foundation, notes."

I'm not spinning anything. I'm just posting what I read. Funny, how you're actually on the denial side now. You are now denying one of your 'go to' academic heavyweights are funding something you claim as false when the facts state otherwise. At least you are giving me a good laugh for the day. I would encourage to keep up the comedy act. I'm enjoying your spinology, however laughable it may be.

#30396 May 29, 2012
DumBozo wrote:
The Y2K threat was a real threat but was contained because many computer folks corrected the code or patched around the obsolete hardware. The threat was real. The problem was taken care of.
Exaggerate much?
Y2K Hoax: A Simple Explanation
The issue does indeed exist; it's just not as gigantic a problem as it has been inflated to be.

If you did nothing to check your business computers, you may have had some trouble on Saturday morning, January 1, 2000. If you own or run a company and any of your Computer People mumble, "I don't know if we can fix the millennium bug," fire them today. This issue was one of the simplest computer problems they'll ever encounter in their careers.
http://www.traffictrak.com/whaitis.html

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#30397 May 29, 2012
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to forget that many of the problems facing mankind were solved because they were brought to our attention and averted because of it. The Y2K threat was a real threat but was contained because many computer folks corrected the code or patched around the obsolete hardware. The threat was real. The problem was taken care of. Likewise we can point to many potential threats that were corrected from asbestos to radium. Problems are never corrected by denying they exist.
Um, you are claiming that the two "threats" you mention were avoided, when in fact, they were not. It was only when FACTS about the dangers of them were discovered where people were getting sick and dying, that those two were remedied. Therefore, your claim of potential threats using those two examples is simply WRONG.
IAmDigitap

Sacramento, CA

#30398 May 29, 2012
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
THAT'S WHY WE ARE GOING TO INDICT SOME GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES WHO HAVE BEEN PERPETRATING

MAGIC GAS

MAGIC MATH

M.A.G.I.C. T.R.E.E.M.O.M.I.T.U.R.S.

***scams***

you recently CUT ADRIFT DARWINIAN DOGTURD

“dening those who deny nature. ”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

#30399 May 29, 2012
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
The statistical variance in a study of this kind is far greater than the difference recorded.
So one more try at spin and misdirection by the denialist and their corporate backers.
If the study said that it proved that those who believed in man made global warming you would be yelling that those who disagree had to be wrong and that the study was proof that you were right.

You used the example that if you ask ten people if the sun came up in the morning or even that one out of ten would say evening. That one would be someone like you. Who would believe what they want and all the proof on earth would still not show them the error.

If one cannot understand the basics then how can one understand something far more complex. What you refer to as common knowledge was once the cutting edge.

Also your last paragraph is also a real clue as to how people like you think. This is for you a political/social cause. One that has been tried repeatedly with the same sorry results. Yet the rebels without a clue continue to claim this is all spin to hide the facts when what you proclaim is the real spin to hide the facts. That the earth has been warming for thousands of years naturally and you cannot prove that it is not doing what it had done for the last ten thousand years.

For which this study tells for you a truely chilling tale. That man made climate change has fallen out of favor with those who can think. That only the clueless and the hopelessly foolish still cling to it even though it is taking the same route as the Titanic.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#30400 May 29, 2012
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow.

You embarrass yourself.

“dening those who deny nature. ”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

#30401 May 29, 2012
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Your kidding. You think that if no one knew about Y2K that all the computers of the world would of be showing January 1, 1900. By the seventies there were very few computers that had that issue. By the eighties they could be only found in some third world back corner and by the mid ninties that even those were sitting somewhere gathering dust. Anything that booted off a hard drive had the date as a four digit number.

Y2K was nothing more than an alarmist being alarmed at something more intelligent people had seen coming and fixed so far in advance that it was never a problem. In this case the problem actually did not exist but the news media had fun patting themselves on the back for it. And before you start claiming I do not know about Y2K you should consider that I was repairing computers for the navy and had to go around and stick those stupid stickers and explain to people that they had nothing to worry about. And before you claim that there was a reason to be worry you should tell us which computer was going to crash. Certainly not those involved in air traffic control or running the infrastructure. Those had been long since replaced. The only computer I ran accross that only used two numbers for year was a IBM 360 and you can replace that with any PC.
Cletus

San Antonio, TX

#30402 May 29, 2012
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Your kidding. You think that if no one knew about Y2K that all the computers of the world would of be showing January 1, 1900. By the seventies there were very few computers that had that issue. By the eighties they could be only found in some third world back corner and by the mid ninties that even those were sitting somewhere gathering dust. Anything that booted off a hard drive had the date as a four digit number.
Y2K was nothing more than an alarmist being alarmed at something more intelligent people had seen coming and fixed so far in advance that it was never a problem. In this case the problem actually did not exist but the news media had fun patting themselves on the back for it. And before you start claiming I do not know about Y2K you should consider that I was repairing computers for the navy and had to go around and stick those stupid stickers and explain to people that they had nothing to worry about. And before you claim that there was a reason to be worry you should tell us which computer was going to crash. Certainly not those involved in air traffic control or running the infrastructure. Those had been long since replaced. The only computer I ran accross that only used two numbers for year was a IBM 360 and you can replace that with any PC.
Hell, my computer shows May the 46th., l781 right now. Who gives a rat's rear as long as I can get on it and flackulate with you guys. That's all I live for. I would commit Japanese habatchi if I couldn't get on Tapax. Hum?
Patriot AKA Bozo

Wichita, KS

#30403 May 29, 2012
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know who you work for, but if you are truly a computer programmer, I would let you go. I agree that many people overreacted, but the problem was real. There was a lot of code brought forward that had only provision for two digit year dates.

#30404 May 30, 2012
Mothra wrote:
Wow.
You embarrass yourself.
He doesn't seem to care, maybe he's past caring, poor old chap.
Oh well, at least he's only embarrassing himself as a faceless wonder these days, hopefully.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#30405 May 30, 2012
The planet has been going through climate changes through out history, I dont think humans are warming up the planet, well thats what I think anyway.
Teddy R

Anonymous Proxy

#30406 May 30, 2012
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
And before you claim that there was a reason to be worry you should tell us which computer was going to crash. Certainly not those involved in air traffic control or running the infrastructure. Those had been long since replaced. The only computer I ran accross that only used two numbers for year was a IBM 360 and you can replace that with any PC.
Mostly true, but not entirely.

AMTRAK's Northeast Corridor supervisory train control system is still written in 8081 assembly language, for instance ...
Cletus

San Antonio, TX

#30407 May 30, 2012
Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
Mostly true, but not entirely.
AMTRAK's Northeast Corridor supervisory train control system is still written in 8081 assembly language, for instance ...
Ohhhh! Ya gotta quit talkin that AMTRAK stuff. Like I said, my computer shows 1781 and you're talking 8081. That kinda frizzed my brain cells knowing I might have gone thru some kinda time warp, or somthin like that. Is that AMTRAK NE Corridor some kinda worm hole?
Patriot AKA Bozo

Wichita, KS

#30408 May 30, 2012
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>He doesn't seem to care, maybe he's past caring, poor old chap.
Oh well, at least he's only embarrassing himself as a faceless wonder these days, hopefully.
Go change your Depends, pops. You really stink.
Mothra

Phoenix, AZ

#30409 May 30, 2012
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>He doesn't seem to care, maybe he's past caring, poor old chap.
We shouldn't be surprised... he named himself after a clown.
kristy

Palm Bay, FL

#30410 May 30, 2012
The upcoming Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report will contain a chapter titled Human Security. According to an official outline, this will examine the following topics:

Social and economic activities, including employment
Education
Inequalities, gender, and marginalized populations
Culture, values, and society
Indigenous peoples
Local communities
Local and traditional knowledge
Migration and population displacement
Conflict
Community resilience

We’re told that the IPCC is a scientific organization and that its job is to “provide rigorous and balanced scientific information to decision makers.” But what can science possibly tell us about Culture, values and society? Or about Local communities? Why is the IPCC going anywhere near subjects such as these?

http://nofrakkingconsensus.com/2012/05/29/the...

This is just the IPCC advancing their social and environmental justice agendas. This has nothing to do with climate change. If they truly cared about inequality, they would encourage these marginalized populations to enter the 21st century with energy that works instead of sending them cooking pots. But no, the UN and environmental agendas will keep these people marginalized as long these groups continue to fight every type of dependable energy these people are trying to obtain.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

East Hartford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min TheIndependentMaj... 1,110,456
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr TRD 68,490
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr sassyjm 305,640
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 5 hr WARRIOR 19,211
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 8 hr Eric 69,380
State child agency pulling wards from Durham sc... (May '07) Wed Jaslin Martinez 41
CT Who do you support for Governor in Connecticut ... (Oct '10) Tue Tippy Faulker 792
•••
•••
•••

East Hartford Jobs

•••
•••
•••

East Hartford People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

East Hartford News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in East Hartford