Service for Oak Beach Inn owner

Full story: Newsday 186
For three decades, Robert Matherson loomed large over two areas of Long Island life: Its nightlife, where he was king of revelers, and its political life where he was most comfortable playing role of critic of ... Full Story

“ANARCHY... NEXT STOP”

Since: Sep 07

NY

#23 Dec 14, 2007
Many good times at the OBI. RIP Bob.

Since: Oct 07

New York, NY

#24 Dec 14, 2007
My condolences to the family first. that said,i remember fond times i spent there on sat. nights. as the years wore on and we grew up a little sunday brunch was the time we went. it was great in the summer as you could get there by boat. in the winter it was every man for himself lol. the obi was a place that was at the right time and the right place. i didn't agree with bob's tactics as i am sure he put some families out and stepped on many toes. so i will just try to remember the good times i spent there with friends,many of which i had met there. i grew up in babylon and it was a so called classier place to go as babylon had like 14 bars,all pits. we age and we have memories that are awakened by ppl passing such as bob. thanks for those memories.
Tony

Bridgeport, CT

#25 Dec 14, 2007
THE LONG ISLAND KID wrote:
I must say thank you to bob. if not for the OBI I WOULD HAVE NEVER MET THE GIRL OF MY DREAMS THAT I HAVE BEEN MARRIED TO FOR THE PAST 14 YEARS AND 3 GREAT KIDS.SO SAY ALL THING YOU WANT ABOUT THE MAN ALL I CAN SAY IS THANK YOU BOB FOR THE GREAT MEMORIES. R I P.
She would of been MY wife if I didnt let you cut in on the dance floor that night!
Youthful Memory

Merchantville, NJ

#26 Dec 14, 2007
Yes, Bob fought the good fight for all of us who grew up in the shadow of the Cold War and out of the embers of Vietnam.
As a college student a group of buddies visited me at my parents house on LI one weekend. I knew I had to take them to OBI to get the true LI experience. It's funny how one night at a club with a group of friends can still resonate so vividly in my mind. It was as if the club was an extension of my time during the summers spent on LI and having them share it with me they were now unofficial Long Islanders.
Too bad he had to put up with all the close-minded tight butts who never let loose in the lives. Bob stood up for all of us who knew life was meant to be enjoyed and lived to the max. Rest in peace brother.
Dancing Foosball

Brooklyn, NY

#27 Dec 14, 2007
Many a good time and memories @ the OBI.
Dave NC

Mount Airy, NC

#28 Dec 14, 2007
I worked there nearly 5 years in the 90's. He was a terror to work for, but to truly understand him you'd have to walk in his shoes. A lot of his troubles might have been his own doing, but I saw first hand how local government agencies tried to stick it to him. I've always respected the fact that he stood up to them and was willing to fight for what he believed in. As a businessman he was truly a genius when it came to publicity. Sorry to hear that he passed. I only wish he relaxed and enjoyed himself more and that he had more faith and trust in those of us who were on his side.
He Is Free As A Bird Now

Brooklyn, NY

#29 Dec 14, 2007
He's Free:
Of his earthly chains - the taxes he hated to pay, the law he flaunted (only did get caught once, but paid his dues like a man), and the anger he both generated from within and without.
Hey Bob, you got off L.I. after all!
Be Free!
pat

AOL

#30 Dec 14, 2007
orange county ca, only knew nothing but good of him,, always would shake your hand!!!!best bar in ny!!! RIP BOB
Veracity

West New York, NJ

#32 Dec 14, 2007
Anyone remember where OBI north was in Smithtown?
Had enough

Jamaica, NY

#33 Dec 14, 2007
Bob was fighting the "Very thing" Long Island has become: A poliical sewer!!

There should be more men like Bob Matherson to keep these local politicians in check.

In my eyes Bob is a hero!!

RIP.. Bob and Thank you

GET OUT OF NYS.. BEFORE IT"S TOO LATE!!
Robert M

AOL

#34 Dec 14, 2007
So young to die at 65 these days. I hope everyone heeds the warning of not doing drugs and excess boozing. These drugies are really out of it if they think they will live into old age. Look at Jerry Garcia, Jim Morrison, Timothy Leary, Abbie Hoffman.
FORMER LONG ISLANDER

Saint Cloud, FL

#35 Dec 15, 2007
Ahhh...the fond memories of Friday and Saturday nights at the OBI North....a big part of my late teens.

I won't ever forget those great times...even though it's been 30 years.

The friendly bartenders who knew you by name...and slipped you the free drinks. Especially the peppermint schnapps on your birthday!

I must admit I wasn't a fan of the L.I. iced tea though.

Great times!!!!!

Condolences to the family.
tom

Apo, AP

#36 Dec 15, 2007
The Long island political machine needs many mor Bob Mathersons!!!!!
He was right "Get out of NY before it is too late" ..........for now it is!
FORMER LONG ISLANDER

Saint Cloud, FL

#37 Dec 15, 2007
To the poster who asked:

"Anyone remember where OBI north was in Smithtown?"

It was up on a hill on 25A. It was almost across the street from St. John's Hospital.(now Catherine of Sienna)
Hung Over

Mahopac, NY

#38 Dec 15, 2007
The West (and the West II) was the Best...Baroom Brothers Live!!!
NYer

Massapequa, NY

#39 Dec 15, 2007
mmmmm memories of BJ's in the parking lot or getting laid in the dunes.. it was the best of times.
RIP Bob & OBI
DJMalz

Kansasville, WI

#40 Dec 15, 2007
God Bless Robert Matherson, he gave me some of the best memories of my life. His clubs were always fun and entertaining. I hope when we get to heaven he'll have a nightspot for us all to get together and watch a great band.
Babylonian

Northport, NY

#41 Dec 15, 2007
RIP Bob!
Best sunday brunch spot ever! By car or by boat...lots of fun ...lots of great OBI memories.
LI Stud

Northport, NY

#42 Dec 15, 2007
Ex-Oak Beacher wrote:
While I do not rejoice in his death, I do not mourn it either. Bob and his lackey attorney Kevin Brosnahan caused pain and grief to my family and to the families of my friends. It is not difficult to be a “great businessman” when you flaunt the laws and ignore regulations. To all you who said Bob loved his customers and did it for them you are ignorant. One example was that every weekend he would pack in over 2,000 customers when his legal/safe occupancy was just under 800. If there ever was a fire in the hundred year old wood structure, the resulting amount of dead crispy critters would have made the bar fire in Rhode Island look trivial. He knew it and put all you at risk every weekend all to make a buck. But hey, you got a BJ in the parking lot so life is good.
Hey was that you in the parking lot?? I thought you sounded familiar.
Thanks for THOSE memories
Bill

Morristown, NJ

#43 Dec 15, 2007
He was a crook who brokered the 7 million dollar waste of taxpayer "open land fund" settlement for a peice of land babylon already owned. He, Mr. Casatta and Mr. Bronsman and of course the Nature Conservacy stole 7 million dollars and got away with it as Newsday and all of Suffolk County watched. Take his playbook, lease from the town a peice of property, build and add with no permits, have thousands of people drive drunk from the beach to home so you can make money, sell the lease to a corrupt developer who wants to build a tower of babble on the beach no one else can build, then sue and run away with 7 million in tax money. Any fool that praises this dead crook is an idiot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

East-Elmhurst Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 28 min Da GreatDirtyWaters 308,415
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 42 min Godfreynwani 47,014
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 2 hr conklincolt 6,467
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 hr Brian_G 305,850
Moms and Women of Divorce...Did you Have A Corr... (Mar '13) 6 hr Rivas 10
Nassau/Suffolk High School Football (Nov '11) 6 hr Driver7789 10,734
OBAMA is the BEST PRESIDENT EVER (Nov '10) 7 hr Obama the tool 15,245

East-Elmhurst News Video

East-Elmhurst Jobs

East-Elmhurst People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

East-Elmhurst News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in East-Elmhurst

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]