Service for Oak Beach Inn owner

Full story: Newsday

For three decades, Robert Matherson loomed large over two areas of Long Island life: Its nightlife, where he was king of revelers, and its political life where he was most comfortable playing role of critic of ...

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of186
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Dave

Winter Haven, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2007

Judged:

I am glad that I made it to The OBI before it closed.Only went once as it was a hike from where I was living on L.I.A good memory like the the now closed C.P.I.Too bad things have to change.
RIP

Middleburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2007

Sorry to hear of his passing. Many a GREAT memory was had at the OBI! That was such a great bar! Even after all of its changes over the years.. it still remained a good place to have fun and dance! Rest in Peace knowing how many great memories you created, how many couples you put together (probably divorces too! HAHA) and overall how many lives you have touched during your time here on this little place called Earth!
Condolences to his family members as well!
mister hard driver

New Hyde Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2007

"He was probably one of the smartest businessmen I've ever known," Noto said. "He made nothing into something big -- and caused me an election -- but it's part of the game, you know."

don't you mean "cost me an election"?
Ex-Oak Beacher

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2007

Judged:

While I do not rejoice in his death, I do not mourn it either. Bob and his lackey attorney Kevin Brosnahan caused pain and grief to my family and to the families of my friends. It is not difficult to be a “great businessman” when you flaunt the laws and ignore regulations. To all you who said Bob loved his customers and did it for them you are ignorant. One example was that every weekend he would pack in over 2,000 customers when his legal/safe occupancy was just under 800. If there ever was a fire in the hundred year old wood structure, the resulting amount of dead crispy critters would have made the bar fire in Rhode Island look trivial. He knew it and put all you at risk every weekend all to make a buck. But hey, you got a BJ in the parking lot so life is good.
Paul

Bayport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2007

If you piss off hundreds and make thousands happy I say good for you
Ex- OBI West-er

Trenton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2007

Had a great time those many years ago....thanks.

R.I.P.
Teakie

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2007

I loved Bob's business intelligence and his guts. My condolences to his family. I thank him also for my abundance of happy memories at OBI. God Bless you and your family.
Teakie

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2007

Apparently you missed the point of his campaign
pointless lookout

Sanford, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2007

Everyone eventually is the "victim " of someones business........the ultimate result of capitalism. God Bless Bob, The USA, And Long Island Iced Teas, in that order.
RIP Bob

Dobbs Ferry, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2007

The man knew how to fight the bureauracy, and I always loved him for that. I am also sorry he didn't live a longer life, which we all deserve. God Bless You Robert.
ARE THEYFOR REAL

Selden, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2007

I HAVE SOME WONDERFUL MEMORIES OF THE O.B.I,ALWAYS HAD A GREAT TIME THERE MY CONDOLENCES TO THE FAMILY,R.I.P.BOB
Ron Zoni

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2007

Anyone remember when bungee jumping was there? What a trip. Thanks Bob for many great times. We miss you and the OBI.
THE LONG ISLAND KID

Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2007

I must say thank you to bob. if not for the OBI I WOULD HAVE NEVER MET THE GIRL OF MY DREAMS THAT I HAVE BEEN MARRIED TO FOR THE PAST 14 YEARS AND 3 GREAT KIDS.SO SAY ALL THING YOU WANT ABOUT THE MAN ALL I CAN SAY IS THANK YOU BOB FOR THE GREAT MEMORIES. R I P.
critter

Rome, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2007

I spent many fine Saturday nights at the OBI East in the late 70s. God, what fun. Thanks, Bob. RIP.
Annieb

Corolla, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2007

The memories at the OBI are priceless...I smile now thinking of the dance floors, upstairs in the airplane seats, and trying to find your car in the packed lot on the way out...there is and never will be another place like that...you will be missed!:)
God Bless
KenC

Easton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2007

I grew up in Garden City Park in Nassau County and the OBI features prominently in my recollection of clubbing in the late 80s. My friends and I would pack into a car, made sure we had plenty of pot and beer in the car and headed south on the Meadowbrook with ludicrous bravado that we would all hook up. Once we passed the Jones Beach tolls, the trip became almost transcendental in the dark--music would be turned down, conversation suddenly hushed. For about fifteen minutes or so, there was this unspoken realization that we were traversing one of the most beautiful and unsullied stretches of nature. By the time we arrived at OBI, we had swapped out Stevie B for Bob Dylan and we almost apologetically headed for the entrance. It was tough to rev back up again and I usually didn't, preferring to roam out outside on the deck. But even though I never fulfilled my wishes for some kind of club pick-up, I always had fun and left with a touch of whimsy at having partied in a nook of paradise, feeling that the devil had set up a solitary outpost in heaven.

Thanks for reading this self-indulgent crap. Too bad about Mr. Matherson, too bad about things the way they are now and too bad about getting older.
nick

Bay Shore, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2007

Judged:

Ex-Oak Beacher wrote:
While I do not rejoice in his death, I do not mourn it either. Bob and his lackey attorney Kevin Brosnahan caused pain and grief to my family and to the families of my friends. It is not difficult to be a “great businessman” when you flaunt the laws and ignore regulations. To all you who said Bob loved his customers and did it for them you are ignorant. One example was that every weekend he would pack in over 2,000 customers when his legal/safe occupancy was just under 800. If there ever was a fire in the hundred year old wood structure, the resulting amount of dead crispy critters would have made the bar fire in Rhode Island look trivial. He knew it and put all you at risk every weekend all to make a buck. But hey, you got a BJ in the parking lot so life is good.
To all of the ex oak beachers who never really paid their fair share of property taxes and did nothing but complain about Bob,..May you feel the next summer's rain against your face and know it's Bob pissing all over you.......Rest in Peace Mr. Matherson
coco beach

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2007

Judged:

Poor Bob - Karma - The only good thing that ever came out of that name "Matherson" was the good Times associated with "The OBI" - Too bad for him @ least he doesn't have to endure the pain & suffering anymore from his exwife of a 1000 yrs ago.... riding his coattails.... What is she gonna do "NOW". Hopefully, he didn't leave her a Cent - Karma is a wicked thing....
gino

Northport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2007

Had the pleasure to go to the north Smithtown bar of his and the oak beach inn of course, and really enjoyed it. I recall meeting him at the OBI and he was very nice and I was just some naive college student then with zero worth to my name. So, its sad to hear of his passing so young, and I want to thank the family for what Bob did for all us once young people who needed a place to be free, party, and mingle. And he was right, there is alot of government and politics in NY that could be cleaned up for the betterment of all. God Bless you Bob.
The Decider

Larchmont, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2007

RIP Bob Matherson. I've enjoyed great Friday and Saturday nights at the OBI. Met good people there too.

I remember the fine reception I got one blizzard on the way home from work. OBI was the only place to stop at on the RM parkway. Got a nice hot bowl of soup and good conversation before continuing my trip home that terrible afternoon. Thank you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of186
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent East-Elmhurst Discussions

Search the East-Elmhurst Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Yankee talk back 4, or is it 5 (Aug '08) 1 min NYStateOfMind 302,069
Nassau/Suffolk High School Football (Nov '11) 43 min Agreed 10,019
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 50 min Uzi 65,117
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr ritedownthemiddle 42,986
OBAMA is the BEST PRESIDENT EVER (Nov '10) 2 hr Drifting to sleep 13,478
Miley Cyrus hospitalized 4 hr Anonymous 22
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 6 hr DAVID27 303,252
•••
•••

East-Elmhurst News Video

•••
•••

East-Elmhurst Jobs

•••
•••
•••