Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

Full story: WGRZ Buffalo

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York.
Comments
39,821 - 39,840 of 58,537 Comments Last updated 9 hrs ago
anonymous

Westtown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#41439
Jun 21, 2011
 

Judged:

1

Spielman was remebered at SJV for all his tales of inside info from prominent people. Even McNulty and McLaughlin were consu;ting with him. Eventually ,everyone realized it was an act, also something indicative of a person with serious psychological problems. He also maintained a relationship with a family R...(name not mentioned for obvious reason). They had a somewhat troubled family situation,but three of their sons were students at DPS.(At this time,things were getting so bad, Kawalec would accept anyone.) Looking back at this time,there may have been pointers to Spielman;s later problems,but in "60's no one ever though a priest would be an abuser.
anonymous

Westtown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#41440
Jun 21, 2011
 

Judged:

1

anon wrote:
<quoted text>Do you mean Fr. Wood? According to the news he fessed up about his wrongdoing.I believe there was another one but I cannot remember hi name.
At least Wood, to his credit admitted his guilt and got help. He was a decent guys and tried to be a good priest. If the Dallas Charter is revised, I think provisions should be introduced for priest,like Wood,who have admitted their problems and gotten help. The church is about forgiveness and understanding, not about vindictiveness.
Lockport

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#41441
Jun 21, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

LOCKPORT — Closing St. Mary’s Church does not make sense to members of the Roman Catholic Church on Saxton Street and the head of the parish Strategic Committee feels the decision was made before Journey of Faith and Grace started.

Michael Ulrich charged that Sister Regina Murphy, SSMN the Director of Research & Planning for Diocese of Buffalo ruled Lockport will only have two churches.

“We were spinning our wheels,” said Ulrich who went to many meetings.“We had no say from day one. It had us believe we were part of decision process. It was a farce. It was obvious we were only to get two churches. She’s the one. It’s sad.”

In 2007, Bishop Edward Kmiec ruled that St. Joseph’s, St. Mary’s and St. Anthony’s were to merge with St. Patrick’s and form All Saints Parish.

Murphy headed the commission of Journey of Faith and Grace.

St. Mary’s has continued to grow and has appealed to the Vatican. That appeal is before the Supreme Tribunal of the Apostolic Signatura, but Kmiec decreed that the church on the Big Bridge will close by Sept. 1. The strategic committee will keep the appeal alive.

In 2005, Murphy said,“Some parishes have neither the membership nor the finances to support the ministries necessary for a full parish life, with a disproportionate amount of a parish budget often needed to maintain old and underutilized buildings."

St. Mary’s says it does not fit that criteria. It has 800 to 900 people at its weekend Masses. The church is growing, has a positive budget and a new parish center. Children are eager to take part in religious education.

“Nobody came from the diocese to meet with us or Father Gary,” said Ulrich who noted that St. Mary’s got a positive score on 17 of 18 points as a parish.“Finances, percent at Mass and programs, we were good on all of them,” he said.

The bishop ruled that St. Mary’s will no longer have weekend Masses and will only be used as a oratory for special services.

Kmiec wrote,“I have been saddened by the effect St. Mary’s appeal has had on the unity of the Catholic Community of Lockport, and I hope the good will that is in each one’s heart will heal any wounds of division.”

Those words were not fair and upset the Rev. Gary Kibler who has been pastor 11 years, according to Ulrich.

“I have a lot of friends at other parishes who have supported us,” Ulrich said.“I don’t know where the bishop is coming from. I’d like to know who he’s talking about. That came as total shock.”

Parish leaders want to know if they had the support of parishioners from other Catholics in the city.

Parishioner Bruce Steltzer spoke up at an informal meeting after Saturday’s Mass and is looking into the question.

“There is a lot of support for St. Mary’s to stay open,” said Steltzer who spoke to two leaders at St. John the Baptist leaders.“They don’t see the sense of it either. They don’t see a division.”

There may have been division when St. Mary’s began its appeal. St. Joseph’s, which had a newer church, did not appeal.

Father Gary who said he would stay on as pastor until he retired, does not know what his future role will be. St. Mary’s Stewardship Council will meet at 7 p.m. today.
anonymous

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#41442
Jun 21, 2011
 
Lockport wrote:
LOCKPORT — Closing St. Mary’s Church does not make sense to members of the Roman Catholic Church on Saxton Street and the head of the parish Strategic Committee feels the decision was made before Journey of Faith and Grace started.
Michael Ulrich charged that Sister Regina Murphy, SSMN the Director of Research & Planning for Diocese of Buffalo ruled Lockport will only have two churches.
“We were spinning our wheels,” said Ulrich who went to many meetings.“We had no say from day one. It had us believe we were part of decision process. It was a farce. It was obvious we were only to get two churches. She’s the one. It’s sad.”
In 2007, Bishop Edward Kmiec ruled that St. Joseph’s, St. Mary’s and St. Anthony’s were to merge with St. Patrick’s and form All Saints Parish.
Murphy headed the commission of Journey of Faith and Grace.
St. Mary’s has continued to grow and has appealed to the Vatican. That appeal is before the Supreme Tribunal of the Apostolic Signatura, but Kmiec decreed that the church on the Big Bridge will close by Sept. 1. The strategic committee will keep the appeal alive.
In 2005, Murphy said,“Some parishes have neither the membership nor the finances to support the ministries necessary for a full parish life, with a disproportionate amount of a parish budget often needed to maintain old and underutilized buildings."
St. Mary’s says it does not fit that criteria. It has 800 to 900 people at its weekend Masses. The church is growing, has a positive budget and a new parish center. Children are eager to take part in religious education.
“Nobody came from the diocese to meet with us or Father Gary,” said Ulrich who noted that St. Mary’s got a positive score on 17 of 18 points as a parish.“Finances, percent at Mass and programs, we were good on all of them,” he said.
The bishop ruled that St. Mary’s will no longer have weekend Masses and will only be used as a oratory for special services.
Kmiec wrote,“I have been saddened by the effect St. Mary’s appeal has had on the unity of the Catholic Community of Lockport, and I hope the good will that is in each one’s heart will heal any wounds of division.”
Those words were not fair and upset the Rev. Gary Kibler who has been pastor 11 years, according to Ulrich.
“I have a lot of friends at other parishes who have supported us,” Ulrich said.“I don’t know where the bishop is coming from. I’d like to know who he’s talking about. That came as total shock.”
Parish leaders want to know if they had the support of parishioners from other Catholics in the city.
Parishioner Bruce Steltzer spoke up at an informal meeting after Saturday’s Mass and is looking into the question.
“There is a lot of support for St. Mary’s to stay open,” said Steltzer who spoke to two leaders at St. John the Baptist leaders.“They don’t see the sense of it either. They don’t see a division.”
There may have been division when St. Mary’s began its appeal. St. Joseph’s, which had a newer church, did not appeal.
Father Gary who said he would stay on as pastor until he retired, does not know what his future role will be. St. Mary’s Stewardship Council will meet at 7 p.m. today.
I totally agree with what you said - "They had us believe we were part of the decision process. It was a farce."

We were told JF&G was a "grass roots" process. Far from it. The decision to close our church had already been made. All the endless meetings, letter writing, etc. were totally useless.

Good luck to St. Mary's. Keep fighting -- hopefully your outcome will be better than the one we had three years ago.
Fast Eddie

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#41443
Jun 21, 2011
 
Lockport wrote:
LOCKPORT — Closing St. Mary’s Church does not make sense to members of the Roman Catholic Church on Saxton Street and the head of the parish Strategic Committee feels the decision was made before Journey of Faith and Grace started.
Michael Ulrich charged that Sister Regina Murphy, SSMN the Director of Research & Planning for Diocese of Buffalo ruled Lockport will only have two churches.
“We were spinning our wheels,” said Ulrich who went to many meetings.“We had no say from day one. It had us believe we were part of decision process. It was a farce. It was obvious we were only to get two churches. She’s the one. It’s sad.”
In 2007, Bishop Edward Kmiec ruled that St. Joseph’s, St. Mary’s and St. Anthony’s were to merge with St. Patrick’s and form All Saints Parish.
Murphy headed the commission of Journey of Faith and Grace.
St. Mary’s has continued to grow and has appealed to the Vatican. That appeal is before the Supreme Tribunal of the Apostolic Signatura, but Kmiec decreed that the church on the Big Bridge will close by Sept. 1. The strategic committee will keep the appeal alive.
In 2005, Murphy said,“Some parishes have neither the membership nor the finances to support the ministries necessary for a full parish life, with a disproportionate amount of a parish budget often needed to maintain old and underutilized buildings."
St. Mary’s says it does not fit that criteria. It has 800 to 900 people at its weekend Masses. The church is growing, has a positive budget and a new parish center. Children are eager to take part in religious education.
“Nobody came from the diocese to meet with us or Father Gary,” said Ulrich who noted that St. Mary’s got a positive score on 17 of 18 points as a parish.“Finances, percent at Mass and programs, we were good on all of them,” he said.
The bishop ruled that St. Mary’s will no longer have weekend Masses and will only be used as a oratory for special services.
Kmiec wrote,“I have been saddened by the effect St. Mary’s appeal has had on the unity of the Catholic Community of Lockport, and I hope the good will that is in each one’s heart will heal any wounds of division.”
Those words were not fair and upset the Rev. Gary Kibler who has been pastor 11 years, according to Ulrich.
“I have a lot of friends at other parishes who have supported us,” Ulrich said.“I don’t know where the bishop is coming from. I’d like to know who he’s talking about. That came as total shock.”
Parish leaders want to know if they had the support of parishioners from other Catholics in the city.
Parishioner Bruce Steltzer spoke up at an informal meeting after Saturday’s Mass and is looking into the question.
“There is a lot of support for St. Mary’s to stay open,” said Steltzer who spoke to two leaders at St. John the Baptist leaders.“They don’t see the sense of it either. They don’t see a division.”
There may have been division when St. Mary’s began its appeal. St. Joseph’s, which had a newer church, did not appeal.
Father Gary who said he would stay on as pastor until he retired, does not know what his future role will be. St. Mary’s Stewardship Council will meet at 7 p.m. today.
I almost hurled when I read this quote: Kmiec wrote,“I have been saddened by the effect St. Mary’s appeal has had on the unity of the Catholic Community of Lockport, and I hope the good will that is in each one’s heart will heal any wounds of division.”

The only disunity in the DOB has resulted from Fast Eddie and Sister Destructo. Their plan to scuttle the Catholic Church in Western New York is almost Nazi-like. They shutdown perfectly well running parishes on faulty data that Destructo rigged and they slowly strangled the faith that the people of the Diocese had. Here they cause the disunity and typically they blame the laity for the problems. Fast Eddie almost taunts us by talking of healing from the wounds he and his Gestapo have inflicted.
anonymous

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#41444
Jun 21, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

[I totally agree with what you said - "They had us believe we were part of the decision process. It was a farce."

We were told JF&G was a "grass roots" process. Far from it. The decision to close our church had already been made. All the endless meetings, letter writing, etc. were totally useless.]

This is the way it is. We are "sheep," after all. The whole process has been, and continues to be, a rouse. Whether you go to meetings, write letters, etc., it is, and will be to no avail. Please read/listen to Corapi's statement. You can't win. No one can.
The Dunkirk Connection

Dunkirk, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#41445
Jun 21, 2011
 
anonymous wrote:
This is the way it is. We are "sheep," after all. The whole process has been, and continues to be, a rouse. Whether you go to meetings, write letters, etc., it is, and will be to no avail. Please read/listen to Corapi's statement. You can't win. No one can.
You should have followed Dunkirk's lead. We won.
Anonymous

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#41446
Jun 21, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

anonymous wrote:
[I totally agree with what you said - "They had us believe we were part of the decision process. It was a farce."
We were told JF&G was a "grass roots" process. Far from it. The decision to close our church had already been made. All the endless meetings, letter writing, etc. were totally useless.]
This is the way it is. We are "sheep," after all. The whole process has been, and continues to be, a rouse. Whether you go to meetings, write letters, etc., it is, and will be to no avail. Please read/listen to Corapi's statement. You can't win. No one can.
they finally found a loophole to use for the churches that appeal...yes he changed his mind....you can stay open...BUT you can only be an oratory....try and bypass the time it takes for the vatican to make a ruling. Those rulings take too long for them to wait around and see what happens...but here you are taking advantage of your canonical rights, and they slip in with the oratory ruling! the catholic church is such a farce. they should be totally ashamed of themselves.
Anonymous

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#41447
Jun 21, 2011
 
The diocese wants churches like OLBS last week. The folks from St Barnabas all held hands and sang Kumbaya....not really but they may as well have....the trustee from OLBS standing there with her corsage on. They have tons of money and now St Barnabas $$$ goes the same way. Wonder how they will fit all those people at mass. They love the parishes that closed their doors, never looked back, and kept smiling for the cameras!
Ampol

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#41448
Jun 21, 2011
 
Anonymous wrote:
anyone know that Tom, the organist, at St Stans passed away? wonder who will they get now.....
This is very sad and shocking to hear. Tom Borowski was a very kind man. It has been several years now since I saw him or heard him at St. Stan's. What a terrible loss for that parish. First Peter Gorecki, and then Tom Borowski! I'm sure Tom is going to be dearly missed. Does anyone know if it was sudden or if he had been ill?
Sad

Lancaster, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#41449
Jun 21, 2011
 
Ampol wrote:
<quoted text>
This is very sad and shocking to hear. Tom Borowski was a very kind man. It has been several years now since I saw him or heard him at St. Stan's. What a terrible loss for that parish. First Peter Gorecki, and then Tom Borowski! I'm sure Tom is going to be dearly missed. Does anyone know if it was sudden or if he had been ill?
Heart Attack.
The Bulb goes on

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#41450
Jun 22, 2011
 
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>they finally found a loophole to use for the churches that appeal...yes he changed his mind....you can stay open...BUT you can only be an oratory....try and bypass the time it takes for the vatican to make a ruling. Those rulings take too long for them to wait around and see what happens...but here you are taking advantage of your canonical rights, and they slip in with the oratory ruling! the catholic church is such a farce. they should be totally ashamed of themselves.
Very perceptive! That's exactly what the DOB is doing to get its way. Not only will it limit the parish to one Mass per week, it will also start reducing the number of of people that attend and thus reduce the number of parishoners and ultimately reduce the opposition to the DOB. I smell a vindictive little penquin with a funny haircut in there. They will not be happy until the Catholic Church in WNY is no more.
Saved parish

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#41451
Jun 22, 2011
 
The Dunkirk Connection wrote:
<quoted text>
You should have followed Dunkirk's lead. We won.
I know you had a group, website, etc. fighting to save both churches in Dunkirk. What did you do that we didn't. We fought with everything we could think of at the time,, but to no avail.
Where did we go wrong? What did you do that ultimately saved your parish?
anonymous

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#41452
Jun 22, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Interested to know wrote:
<quoted text>I would like to know why this past Sunday some idiot was allowed, 10 minutes before mass when people were trying to pray, to stand on the pulpit and yell at people about pro-life. This was definitely NOT the time or place to do such a thing, or for that matter, he should not be allowed to voice his personal opinion in Church. It was appalling in my opinion. Save it for your right-to-life protests.
I would hope that with Fr. Michael forming a new parish council that this type of activity would be ended. This type of grandstanding by a small group has become quite common at SJG and is inappropriate. Often times they stand on the pulpit and ask for funding for personal activities. If parishoners want to become involved in the activities of the pro life committee or any other group then they are free to join that group and participate in the activities. The same rules should apply to all. I have never heard the Ladies Guild, Ushers group etc. get up and discuss topics before mass. It is not the proper forum.
glad

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#41453
Jun 22, 2011
 

Judged:

1

Parishioner wrote:
<quoted text>
Its more likely the bridge fell down when Andrew tried walking on it.
Seems the majority agree that Andrew is a fat ass who doen't give a damn about anyoen but himself.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#41454
Jun 22, 2011
 
anon wrote:
Someone should give Bialkowski some hand sanitizer!
Who knows where those hands have been and what they have touched?
He should sanitize his lip and mouth too.
Father David is gone and he is no longer practicing as a priest. The Bishop sent him for treatment therapy before he was removed. Maybe this will make him stop doing some of the things he has done. I know what you are trying to say but he's gone now. Try to put things in the past and concentrate on being there to help Fr. Mike get our parish back to what it once was before all this happened. A lot of people are hurt and disappointed because they liked Father David a lot and didn't believe he would do any of the things that he was accused of doing. A lot of people are feeling hurt now that they see what happened. This is why some of us tried to tell everyone to pull back before reacting. Our parish is still here and will be better than ever. Don't feed into any of the negativity that some people are writing. Some of the people who are writing these things have strong feelings because they have been hurt too. Look to the people who are being positive and care about SJG and all that it stands for.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#41455
Jun 22, 2011
 
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
I would hope that with Fr. Michael forming a new parish council that this type of activity would be ended. This type of grandstanding by a small group has become quite common at SJG and is inappropriate. Often times they stand on the pulpit and ask for funding for personal activities. If parishoners want to become involved in the activities of the pro life committee or any other group then they are free to join that group and participate in the activities. The same rules should apply to all. I have never heard the Ladies Guild, Ushers group etc. get up and discuss topics before mass. It is not the proper forum.
Give Fr. Mike a chance. The man is trying to do all he can to fix a bad situation for us. He has a tough job walking into this mess. Give him time to understand our parish and some of the people here. That's why he is forming a new council; we need more people to tell them what they think. Call and let the rectory know if you're interested in being on the council for SJG.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#41456
Jun 22, 2011
 

Judged:

1

Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Give Fr. Mike a chance. The man is trying to do all he can to fix a bad situation for us. He has a tough job walking into this mess. Give him time to understand our parish and some of the people here. That's why he is forming a new council; we need more people to tell them what they think. Call and let the rectory know if you're interested in being on the council for SJG.
Fr. Mike is simply an incompetent administrator. Period!!!This diocese usually rewards these incompetent priests with bigger and better parishes. Look Kibler, Smith, O'Connor, etc.
Anonymous

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#41457
Jun 22, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Lockport wrote:
LOCKPORT — Closing St. Mary’s Church does not make sense to members of the Roman Catholic Church on Saxton Street and the head of the parish Strategic Committee feels the decision was made before Journey of Faith and Grace started.
Michael Ulrich charged that Sister Regina Murphy, SSMN the Director of Research & Planning for Diocese of Buffalo ruled Lockport will only have two churches.
“We were spinning our wheels,” said Ulrich who went to many meetings.“We had no say from day one. It had us believe we were part of decision process. It was a farce. It was obvious we were only to get two churches. She’s the one. It’s sad.”
In 2007, Bishop Edward Kmiec ruled that St. Joseph’s, St. Mary’s and St. Anthony’s were to merge with St. Patrick’s and form All Saints Parish.
Murphy headed the commission of Journey of Faith and Grace.
St. Mary’s has continued to grow and has appealed to the Vatican. That appeal is before the Supreme Tribunal of the Apostolic Signatura, but Kmiec decreed that the church on the Big Bridge will close by Sept. 1. The strategic committee will keep the appeal alive.
In 2005, Murphy said,“Some parishes have neither the membership nor the finances to support the ministries necessary for a full parish life, with a disproportionate amount of a parish budget often needed to maintain old and underutilized buildings."
St. Mary’s says it does not fit that criteria. It has 800 to 900 people at its weekend Masses. The church is growing, has a positive budget and a new parish center. Children are eager to take part in religious education.
“Nobody came from the diocese to meet with us or Father Gary,” said Ulrich who noted that St. Mary’s got a positive score on 17 of 18 points as a parish.“Finances, percent at Mass and programs, we were good on all of them,” he said.
The bishop ruled that St. Mary’s will no longer have weekend Masses and will only be used as a oratory for special services.
Kmiec wrote,“I have been saddened by the effect St. Mary’s appeal has had on the unity of the Catholic Community of Lockport, and I hope the good will that is in each one’s heart will heal any wounds of division.”
Those words were not fair and upset the Rev. Gary Kibler who has been pastor 11 years, according to Ulrich.
“I have a lot of friends at other parishes who have supported us,” Ulrich said.“I don’t know where the bishop is coming from. I’d like to know who he’s talking about. That came as total shock.”
Parish leaders want to know if they had the support of parishioners from other Catholics in the city.
Parishioner Bruce Steltzer spoke up at an informal meeting after Saturday’s Mass and is looking into the question.
“There is a lot of support for St. Mary’s to stay open,” said Steltzer who spoke to two leaders at St. John the Baptist leaders.“They don’t see the sense of it either. They don’t see a division.”
There may have been division when St. Mary’s began its appeal. St. Joseph’s, which had a newer church, did not appeal.
Father Gary who said he would stay on as pastor until he retired, does not know what his future role will be. St. Mary’s Stewardship Council will meet at 7 p.m. today.
More churches should be closed, inlcuding DM and Mount Carmel in the Falls. And few others!
Fr David

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#41458
Jun 22, 2011
 

Judged:

1

The word is that the former Prince of Pine Ridge has sent out letters trolling for Mass intentions.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

East Amherst Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

East Amherst People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

East Amherst News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in East Amherst
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••