Many unmet health care needs of aging baby boomers | Timi Gustafson, R.D.

Jul 14, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Covington Reporter

Baby boomers will likely face an array of health conditions as they grow older but will find in many cases only insufficient treatment options.

Comments
1 - 5 of 5 Comments Last updated Mar 4, 2014
Sheik Yerbouti

Pennington, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2012

Don't worry, dea thugs are working overtime to make sure as many people suffer as much pain as possible so they can continue to collect their bloated paychecks!
Elder appocolypse

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2012

Not much one can do about hereditary factors, but everyone should try to stay as healthy as possible. Exercise and a healthy diet can make a difference and help to keep you off of some prescription drugs which can harm your liver and kidneys over time. We all want to live a long, healthy and happy life. Of course living to be very old will eventually land you into a nursing home. Unless you can afford the best nursing home or personal care; those last years in a nursing home aren't going to be very pleasant. My father was in a nursing home for 7 years. His insurance didn't afford him the best nursing home. My dad hated the food, and when he soiled himself, he was often left in bed or his wheelchair for hours before a nurse's aide would come in to change him. The cleanest I remember seeing him, was right after he died in the home. They cleaned him up real nice for the hearse to pick him up and take him to the funeral home. Nursing homes are careful to protect their reputation. Anyway, I don't want to ever end up in one of those places after seeing my dad in there. I was told that a group of lawyers owned it. It wasn't the worst place; just average, but they often hired after school help. My dad had 2 sets of dentures and they disappeared. I think some of those kids working after school didn't want to be bothered or found them disgusting so they threw them in the trash. Unfortunately, that is the way some or many nursing homes are, unless you can afford the very best care. Makes me afraid to get old.
giveAfrack

Bryn Mawr, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2013

In new and strange territory for many of the current seniors and doctors. Big problem is keep these seniors active instead literally sitting around waiting for their final exit.

Compounding problems even more is many seniors are basing their health on their parents 50-70 years ago. So they are basically making decisions and choices on 50 year old technology and 50 years less experience from the geriatric community.

Plus a generation has been falsely led to believe all you have to do is sit back collect social security and/or you will get breaks because of your age. The FDR era seniors are the worst. They feel entitled and justified sucking up every benefit possible. Have senior relatives complaining they can't get heating subsidies to keep the house above 70 degrees in the winter when they can pay all the bills themselves keeping it at 66 degrees. They feel entitled to walk around the house like it's summer any time of the year. They also feel entitled to every medical procedure and drug under the sun. They quite frankly made themselves dependent. They fail and/or won't take any initiative to learn anything new. They wait for doctors to prescribe them anything from a pill to surgery to cure their ails rather learn a fitness and nutrition routine. They simply will not adapt, learn or progress-apparently many only did that for a job and not self improvement. They can't do what they did did in their 20s so screw it, life is over for them. Pity Party-they are not special.

Do not let seniors suck the life out of themselves or you. Keep them active and force them to learn and adapt. No pity party here.
Isaiah 26-20-21

Durham, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2014

giveAfrack, you are a monster. A selfish greedy monster. To Hell with your attitude towards the elderly. You are also totally ignorant of what happens to the human body as it ages. But do not worry, if you live long enough you will find out. There are some seniors who do continue is decent health till the end but there are more who do not.
Try reading in the Bible what God has to say about aging. Your ridiculous diatribe about something you know nothing about is diabolical. You have your heart and mind sunk into this world and Guess what? This world is going to end!! Very soon.

Since: Sep 13

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2014

I think the reason behind this is that the government and private companies concerned didn't anticipate the number of baby boomers who will need healthcare. Life expectancy is much longer these days and this means that more people will require healthcare. I hope concerned agencies will do something about this and also when it comes to long term care. Statistics would show that 7 out of 10 of Americans who are 65 years old and above will require long term care. This is very high, which is why concerned individuals are encourage to plan for long term care. This is to avoid expensive cost of care and also to protect your family. You can go ahead and start with your planning when you check out these resources on long term care.

http://longtermcare.gov/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-term_care

http://www.ltcoptions.com/

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

16 Users are viewing the Durham Forum right now

Search the Durham Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 4 min Delinger 56,256
Can a Church deny Autistic child Sunday School? 2 hr Concerned Parent 1
Do you like to expose your wife? (Sep '11) 7 hr Gemini 32
NC Teachers Wooed By Texas Salaries 7 hr George Truesdell 1
NCMH Hosts Chapel Hill Tour of 1969 Cogswell House 9 hr Blueplate PR 1
Jehovah's Witnesses convention bigger this year 10 hr Truth 18
Moving to Raleigh (Mar '06) 21 hr Lady_E 465
•••
•••
•••
Durham Dating

more search filters

less search filters