1 - 20 of 30 Comments Last updated Sep 4, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
AuntTrisha

Dunkirk, NY

#1 Apr 15, 2012
Good Morning folks!

We have been contemplating having home security installed. I notice that many homes have it these days. I see DFT and ADT. Is there anyone on here that could give us some advice. If you have a security system, are you pleased? Which one do you have? Any pros and cons? Thank you in advance for your help. I like to hear from individuals first before I make the call.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#2 Apr 15, 2012
AuntTrisha wrote:
Good Morning folks!
We have been contemplating having home security installed. I notice that many homes have it these days. I see DFT and ADT. Is there anyone on here that could give us some advice. If you have a security system, are you pleased? Which one do you have? Any pros and cons? Thank you in advance for your help. I like to hear from individuals first before I make the call.
One of my clients has an alarm system. The one she has is old and turned off. Her dog and cat had set it off all the time during the night when it was on. So take that into account if you have pets.
My Home Security

Fredonia, NY

#3 Apr 15, 2012
This is what I have and no monthly fees required.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurus_Judge
Swifty

Depew, NY

#4 Apr 15, 2012
i personally own a smith and wesson alarm with a ruger and beagle back up------ but thats just me....
AnnieOakley

Dunkirk, NY

#5 Apr 16, 2012
Swifty wrote:
i personally own a smith and wesson alarm with a ruger and beagle back up------ but thats just me....
Well that's all fine and good if you are home, but what if you are out of town?

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#6 Apr 16, 2012
AuntTrisha wrote:
Good Morning folks!
A good friend of mine in Virginia owned a ADT franchise. I was trained, licensed and bonded through his business. In Virginia you had to be licensed, bonded, and a security/background check done before you could market security systems. The reason is you are dealing with confidential info-security codes, etc. Make sure whoever you use is legit and reliable. ADT or BRINKS are competitors and good companies. There is ADT corporate and a ADT franchise dealer. The ADT franchise dealers can usually offer a better deal. SOMETHING IMPORTANT-Most alarm companies work through the telephone lines. If there is an intrusion the system will call through the telephone line. If the line is down, the system cannot call out. A smart burglar can go to any alarm communications box and cut the telephone line between the box and the system. That disables the system. An option to prevent that from happening is "cellular backup". If wires are cut or phone line is down, a cellular backup will call the center. I know ADT has that available.
Roman Catholic

Mayville, NY

#7 Apr 17, 2012
Is there anything ins rep hasn't done. I have DFT, it works well don't have motion sensors because I have animals have perimeter alarms on doors and window locks and jams. It works well and I like the local company.

Location hidden

#8 Apr 17, 2012
Roman Catholic wrote:
Is there anything ins rep hasn't done. I have DFT, it works well don't have motion sensors because I have animals have perimeter alarms on doors and window locks and jams. It works well and I like the local company.
I've worked in the insurance industry and with First Data Corp since 1972. In both of those industries you basically interview and service a lot of individual people and businesses. You learn what businesses do, who their suppliers are, etc. That is why I'm knowledgeable on a lot of different industries. If you basically interviewed and serviced businesses with insurance needs, electronic funds movement,etc. for over 40 years, you would be to. I was licensed with ADT because the security industry intrigued me. I was considering buying a franchise. We live in a low crime rate. Where I came from there was a high crime rate. Dis-arming a security system was common knowledge. The dumbest thing somebody could do is place a sign on their front lawn advertising to a thief there is a security system installed. Now the thief knows to go to the back or side of the house and snip the wires going to the phone box.Simple. If I were considering putting in a system, I would go with cellular backup. The unit is usually installed in a closet. If you just get a basic system, don't advertise you have a system to disarm.
joe white

Fredonia, NY

#9 Apr 18, 2012
INS REP wrote:
<quoted text>
I've worked in the insurance industry and with First Data Corp since 1972. In both of those industries you basically interview and service a lot of individual people and businesses. You learn what businesses do, who their suppliers are, etc. That is why I'm knowledgeable on a lot of different industries. If you basically interviewed and serviced businesses with insurance needs, electronic funds movement,etc. for over 40 years, you would be to. I was licensed with ADT because the security industry intrigued me. I was considering buying a franchise. We live in a low crime rate. Where I came from there was a high crime rate. Dis-arming a security system was common knowledge. The dumbest thing somebody could do is place a sign on their front lawn advertising to a thief there is a security system installed. Now the thief knows to go to the back or side of the house and snip the wires going to the phone box.Simple. If I were considering putting in a system, I would go with cellular backup. The unit is usually installed in a closet. If you just get a basic system, don't advertise you have a system to disarm.
good advice,thanks.
Boris

North Tonawanda, NY

#10 Apr 19, 2012
INS REP wrote:
<quoted text>
Makes sense to me.
Boris

North Tonawanda, NY

#11 Apr 19, 2012
Roman Catholic wrote:
Heard somebody over in Brocton was robbed a couple days ago. Story is that the thief walked right out of the house w/ the house safe.
entrepenure

Buffalo, NY

#13 Apr 19, 2012
go online to cctv that is where i purchased my cameras i comes with a dvr can we wirelessly sent to ur phone to view and has night vision a mouse remote for the dvr cables you can get complete packages for cheap

Since: May 09

usa

#14 Apr 19, 2012
AuntTrisha wrote:
Good Morning folks!
I used DFT for about 15 years, in both my homes and my business. They were great. Anytime there was an issue they were there and the police were called when needed. I paid about $28 per month at the end and I'd recommend them. When we went to sleep at night we armed it since we lived in the country and there were few neighbors it gave us a sense of security. Just food for thought.
hose pulller

Orchard Park, NY

#15 Apr 19, 2012
dft ,stinks do not use it,called a fire alarm at my home when i dont have a fire alarm,always get my address wrong.

Location hidden

#16 Apr 19, 2012
security system hardware is dirt cheap. The profit in security systems is in the monitoring. I just got a post card in the mail from a ADT authorized dealer. Free system, $99.00 install,$35.99 a month monitoring. That's a good deal. You can probably talk them into a additional key fob wireless remote by telling them you are going to call Brinks. This way you can arm/dis-arm the system at the box and with a remote key fob-like from your bedroom,garage or backyard. You are welcome to the postcard offer if it will help you. ADT and their installers/service are very professional.

Since: May 09

usa

#17 Apr 19, 2012
INS REP wrote:
security system hardware is dirt cheap. The profit in security systems is in the monitoring. I just got a post card in the mail from a ADT authorized dealer. Free system,$99.00 install,$35.99 a month monitoring. That's a good deal. You can probably talk them into a additional key fob wireless remote by telling them you are going to call Brinks. This way you can arm/dis-arm the system at the box and with a remote key fob-like from your bedroom,garage or backyard. You are welcome to the postcard offer if it will help you. ADT and their installers/service are very professional.
Sorry, as a previous local business man I'd rather pay a local company. Remember when little leagues, football teams, cheerleader need money they alway came to us. When the parents needed thing they went out of town. Support the local businesses it for your benefit.
BassMan

Dunkirk, NY

#18 Apr 19, 2012
hose pulller wrote:
dft ,stinks do not use it,called a fire alarm at my home when i dont have a fire alarm,always get my address wrong.
Ha, that's what you get for living in Cassadaga.
Wise Guys

Silver Creek, NY

#19 Apr 19, 2012
INS REP wrote:
<quoted text>
The dumbest thing somebody could do is place a sign on their front lawn advertising to a thief there is a security system installed. Now the thief knows to go to the back or side of the house and snip the wires going to the phone box.Simple.
Why wouldn't the thief Instead go next door to the guy that doesn't have a security system advertised on his front lawn?
Way too expensive

Dunkirk, NY

#20 Apr 19, 2012
Check out alarm relay.com 8.95 a month for the same thing adt dft afl,CIO SPCA etc. etc. etc. offer. Buy your own alarm system and install it, wireless systems install in about an hour, no experience needed. Most of the systems the big companies are pushing these days are wireless, and you can get a good system for a bill Twinkie.
Way too expensive

Dunkirk, NY

#21 Apr 19, 2012
And if the system loses communication, an alarm condition is sent

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dunkirk Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Traquan nance 1 hr Honky 3
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) 2 hr Pugs 16,780
Fatal Shooting May Be Linked To Phillips Manhunt (Jun '06) 7 hr Who Cares 2,984
City taking back the marina?!? 9 hr seabass 9
Roberts Road 23 hr Stanley 2
Ferguson - Dunkirk, NY Wed Oh no u dint 16
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) Wed Vote Zornow 6,408
•••
•••
Dunkirk Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Dunkirk Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Dunkirk People Search