traffic cameras in Douglas

Posted in the Douglas Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
just cant

Moultrie, GA

#1 Jul 19, 2011
Why do we need them, in douglas? If so can't we layoff a few city cops, now?
prayer

Fitzgerald, GA

#2 Jul 19, 2011
just cant wrote:
Why do we need them, in douglas? If so can't we layoff a few city cops, now?
The way I understand these new lights with cameras will be monitoring the traffic, so the light will change quicker. Also, some of them might be cameras to catch people running red lights, to get their tag number.Also, I heard through a reliable source that the monies for these new projects were paid by the State of Georgia and not the City of Douglas
Hello

Perry, GA

#3 Jul 20, 2011
all of these cameras is for the lights to change.
County411

Flowery Branch, GA

#4 Jul 20, 2011
People have already received tickets in the mail. The 2 people I know got a ticket for turning right on a red light. Has to be a turning lane or yield there to turn. I thought it didn't matter that you could just turn right on red unless sign stated no right turns.
just cant

Moultrie, GA

#5 Jul 20, 2011
But, does Douglas really need the cameras? Who monitors, them? Where is all the monies going?
No Way

Flowery Branch, GA

#6 Jul 20, 2011
County411 wrote:
People have already received tickets in the mail. The 2 people I know got a ticket for turning right on a red light. Has to be a turning lane or yield there to turn. I thought it didn't matter that you could just turn right on red unless sign stated no right turns.
This not true. Stop be untruthful!
student

Donnellson, IA

#7 Jul 20, 2011
GA law requires signage at each intersection using red light cameras stating they are PHOTO enforced. Some of the red light cameras I have seen were mounted on posts on the ground near crosswalks, not overhead.
Hello

Moultrie, GA

#8 Jul 20, 2011
The light is just been turned on today,07-12-11 ha HA LOL
Hello

Moultrie, GA

#9 Jul 20, 2011
SORRY 07-20-11 LOL
County411

Flowery Branch, GA

#10 Jul 20, 2011
I am just saying what they told me. I did not get one. My husband has a lady that works for him and she said her son got one. I am not starting anything just thought people would have liked to have known. Another guy at their work said he got ticket for sane thing. Guess they lied but both are truthful church going people. Idc just thought I would mention it!
Durrr

Okatie, SC

#11 Jul 20, 2011
Wow...imagine that! Churchgoing people making things up, how unusual!
To tell the truth

Flowery Branch, GA

#12 Jul 20, 2011
To Durr from S.C., you don't even live here in Douglas, so how would you know if someone got a ticket or not for any reason at these lights with the cams.
Coffee Guy

Reidsville, GA

#13 Jul 20, 2011
Anyone with any common sense would know that the cameras couldn't be used for photo enforcement. How will they take a picture of your license plate if they are pointed at the front of your car? If you are traveling on Madison or Peterson, the cameras would only be able to see the front of your car as you enter the intersection. The cameras would have to be behind you to get your plate. And it would be a little foolish to only enforce lesser traffic traveling east and west.
As of right now, the cameras are just used to change traffic lights.
with u in mind

Hawkinsville, GA

#14 Jul 20, 2011
To tell the truth wrote:
To Durr from S.C., you don't even live here in Douglas, so how would you know if someone got a ticket or not for any reason at these lights with the cams.
that is an old argument... if u are on a laptop it will change your location... geez some people just dont listen..
Durrr

Pisgah Forest, NC

#15 Jul 20, 2011
...also doesn't show correctly from a cell phone half the time. I am in the city limits and it thought i was in Richmond Virginia once.
To tell the truth

Flowery Branch, GA

#16 Jul 20, 2011
Ok, I stand corrected on location, but still the question is how do you know if someone else got a ticket or not with the traffic cams. The answer is you don't know.

Athens, GA

#17 Jul 20, 2011
prayer wrote:
<quoted text> I heard through a reliable source that the monies for these new projects were paid by the State of Georgia and not the City of Douglas
That's just wonderful news to the state employees who contribute their state earned dollars to the City of Douglas every day,(through local businesses) but get a notice saying they still can't have a raise after 3 years of doing without one and that their department might be cut yet another employee because the State doesn't have enough money, not to mention we are on the verge of having to buy our own pens and pencils because the state budget has been cut yet another year.
I see cops sitting on the side of the road, cars running, windows up, looking for speeders. How much city money is spent on that!
To tell the truth

Flowery Branch, GA

#18 Jul 20, 2011
That is a very good point! If the state is broke and is having to cut the budget, where is the money coming from for all these "improvements". We can expect more taxes being raised for all of these "improvements" either through sales tax or another income tax increase.
GeorgiaNative

Flowery Branch, GA

#19 Jul 20, 2011
The improvement project has been on the books for years. It is not only state funded but also funded by the Federal Government. Those are NOT cameras to get speeders but are used like loops. Instead of having loops under the ground to let the lights know when to change, camera like devices are now being used in some places. If you follow the laws then you shouldn't worry whether they are cameras or not. I may not have that exactly right, but those of you who know about transportation like Old DOT, know what I'm talking about.
Coffee Guy

Reidsville, GA

#20 Jul 20, 2011
The new lights and new curbs being built in town are paid for with grants from the State, and is most likely from Obama's "Stimulus". If they don't use it for the roadway projects, they will lose it.
Personally, I think that our tax money should be used for much more important things than new curbs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Douglas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Need help for heart to heart outreach 33 min angie 3
cheating minister (Oct '12) 35 min amen 10
Straight talk phones 40 min curious 1
Wal-Mart management (Jun '14) 1 hr Susie blue 23
road closed 3 hr chili bean 2
Tutor needed 4 hr Dgls 5
Career Academy? (Apr '13) 5 hr COD2014 85
Lady Causing issues about Price Matching at Wal... 18 hr consumer 2
Douglas Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Douglas People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Douglas News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Douglas

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:00 am PST

Bleacher Report 6:00AM
Jaguars vs Titans: Full NFL 'Thursday Night Football' Preview and Prediction
Bleacher Report 8:00 AM
Thursday Night Football Week 16: TV Schedule, Live Stream for Titans vs. Jaguars
NBC Sports10:54 AM
Weatherspoon predicts a sweep of the "Aints"
Bleacher Report11:59 AM
Jaguars Break Their Underdog Streak
NFL12:33 PM
Bortles earns 'mostly positive reviews' from Jaguars