Cordele, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Eastman -- She told her 13-year-old son, "Daddy wants us to wash the car."

She didn't mention that only a few hours earlier, she had driven her husband in that same blue Thunderbird to a spot in the woods where her boyfriend was waiting to kill him.
That was neither the first nor the last time that Susan Latan Weeks mixed crime with family matters.
According to investigative documents recently obtained by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, she played a key role in helping the state crack the previously unsolved 1993 assassination of Eastman accountant Donald Purser. Both her father, John Henry McDuffie, and her son, Jamie Weeks -- the same son she ordered to wash his dead father's car in 1989 -- have been charged with Purser's murder.
But for the McDuffie-Weeks family, and especially for Susan Latan Weeks, the history of criminal involvement spans three decades and three generations.
Susan Weeks grew in the Dodge County community of Rhine, which was cited as a corruption hot spot during testimony in federal vote-buying trials in the late 1990s. When she was a young woman, her father was a known bootlegger, and that part of the county was patrolled by a deputy sheriff named Dalton Burnam.
In 1973, Susan Weeks, her father and former Macon-area state legislator Mitch Miller were convicted of operating a 7,500-gallon-capacity moonshine still in a Warner-Robins area warehouse. The two men received three-year sentences, and Susan Weeks was placed on five years' probation.
Burnam was an important prosecution witness in that case, and McDuffie was "furious" about Burnam's testimony, his former attorney, Wash Larsen, recalled recently.
A few months after the moonshining trial, Burnam and his wife, Georgia Kate, were shotgunned to death just after they entered their home. McDuffie was later convicted of being one of four conspirators in the killing. At McDuffie's 1976 trial, the only motive presented by prosecutors was that the men wanted to eliminate Burnam so they could have a freer hand in their illegal drug and bootlegging operations.
In 1982, FBI agent Roland Rozier was severely beaten at a Douglas, Ga., business owned by Susan Weeks' husband, Jimmy. Rozier was working undercover, investigating a multistate car-theft ring.
Rozier later testified that Jimmy Weeks drove him to a remote area to dump his body, thinking he was dead or near dead. Rozier managed to open the door of Weeks' moving truck, roll out and hide from Weeks.
Jimmy Weeks was later convicted of assaulting Rozier and received a 10-year prison sentence. Susan Weeks and three others were arrested 10 months later in North Carolina. Susan Weeks pleaded guilty and was sentenced to three years, but she was allowed to remain free on bond.
After that, she gave federal authorities information on drug-dealing in South Georgia, was placed in a witness protection program and relocated to California with her two children and a new identity.
Shortly after Jimmy Weeks was released from prison, Susan Weeks and her boyfried, William Dale Allen, began plotting his murder, she later testified.

Scoop

Cordele, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Part 2

In October 1989, she met Jimmy Weeks at a Santee, S.C., motel, took him to breakfast, then drove him to a secluded spot that she and Allen had preselected, she said.
Susan Weeks asked Jimmy Weeks to get something from the car's trunk. When he got out of the vehicle, Allen and an accomplice were waiting. Jimmy Weeks was killed by shotgun blasts and then his throat was slit.
Susan Weeks and Allen were both arrested for the murder, but she became a prosecution witness. Allen was convicted and received a life sentence; she received a five-year sentence and served three years.
During Weeks' testimony at her boyfriend's murder trial, the judge twice stopped the proceedings to instruct the jury that she had lied on the stand.
"I wouldn't believe her if it was Thursday and she told me tomorrow was going to be Friday," said Richard Breibart, the Lexington, S.C., attorney who represented Allen.
After Jimmy Weeks' murder but before her arrest, Susan Weeks married Allen. Her attempts to collect on Jimmy Weeks' life insurance were unsuccessful, since she had become a suspect in his murder.
After she completed her prison sentence related to her husband's death, Susan Weeks was arrested on charges of gun possession and parole violation and was returned to prison. She is due to be released to a halfway house in Middle Georgia next month.

(Timeline chronicles the following:)
Oct. 8, 1973 Dodge County Chief Deputy Sheriff Dalton Burnam and his wife Georgia Kate are murdered at their home in the Dodge County town of Rhine. John Henry McDuffie, a convicted bootlegger, is one of three men convicted in 1976 for the killings. McDuffie serves 15 years in prison.
Oct. 7, 1982 FBI Agent Roland Rozier suffers near-fatal beating during a blown undercover sting operation near Douglas, in Coffee County. Jimmy Weeks, his wife Susan Latan Weeks (McDuffie's daughter) and two others indicted. She becomes protected federal witness; he pleads guilty, serves seven years.
Oct. 29, 1989 Susan Latan Weeks meets husband Jimmy Weeks in Santee, S.C., shortly after his release. She drives him to secluded spot where her boyfriend, William Dale Allen, and an accomplice kill Weeks. She becomes a prosecution witness and serves three years in jail. Allen receives a life sentence.
July 1, 1993 Eastman accountant Donald Purser, expected to be a key witness in federal investigation of Dodge County corruption, is assassinated in his home in rural Dodge County.
March 25, 2000 Susan Latan Weeks, on supervised leave from federal prison in Texas, assists GBI in obtaining taped confession to Purser murder from John Henry McDuffie, her father. Confession also implicates her son Jamie.
Sept. 26, 2000 John Henry McDuffie and Jamie Weeks indicted by Dodge County grand jury for Purser murder.
WantU2No

Perry, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

More! More! More! Let me apologize, all of this is nothing to be joking and kidding about. This is a mean! mean! low down, lower than lowest snake. However, I would like to read "the rest of the story".
Scoop

Cordele, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

I would say you could get "the rest of the story" by reading her new book. But from what I've found in news articles online like the one above, the book is about a totally different, and apprarently fictitious, person.
WantU2No

Perry, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

I think reading the book would not tell me the truth. She is just going to roll things in her favor. I wish Agent Rozier would write a book telling the "real truth". Also, I would like to know who called Jimmy and told him Agent Rozier was working undercover.
Dope Head

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

WoW. Where's is she now ?
Scoop

Cordele, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Judged:

WantU2No wrote:
I think reading the book would not tell me the truth. She is just going to roll things in her favor. I wish Agent Rozier would write a book telling the "real truth". Also, I would like to know who called Jimmy and told him Agent Rozier was working undercover.
We'll never know for sure who "tipped off" Jimmy Weeks, if that is what really happened. But I do know that both Weeks and Dr. Fred Gilliard supposedly hinted that they had "connections" with law enforcement (though both also refuted this). Rozier testified that he overheard Weeks say at one point during his ordeal that maybe they should call the sheriff to handle things. Weeks denied ever saying this. Gilliard supposedly told Latan Weeks during an FBI undercover sting that ultimately sent him to prison that he could arrange with the sheriff to have a plane safely land in Douglas to bring in drugs. Gilliard also denied that and because the wire Latan Weeks was wearing malfunctioned this conversation was never recorded. But given Coffee County's overall history regarding law enforcement anything is possible.
Scoop

Cordele, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Dope Head wrote:
WoW. Where's is she now ?
I think Florida.
Scoop

Cordele, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2013

Judged:

One of the things I found very interesting while researching these people is that Dr. Gilliard actually testified on behalf of Jimmy Weeks during his trial for asaulting FBI agent Ron Rozier. Gilliard said he thought Weeks may have had paranoid schizophrenia, apparently in a failed attempt to help get Weeks found not guilty by reason of insanity. Then a year later Weeks' wife Latan is going undercover on behalf of the FBI to set Gilliard up for illegally selling Dilaudid. Someone should make a movie, but not with her version of events.
Hippy Chick

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

CRAZY
My Guess

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Considering the Dilaudin was transported in airplanes that had landing clearance on Atkinson Co. dirt roads and Atkinson Co. deputies secured the roads for landings, my guess would be the then high Sheriff of Atkinson Co.
My Guess

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Excuse me, back woods highways NOT dirt roads
SusieQ

Perry, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

according to agent Rozier,the airplanes were also flying into Benhill/irwin county. Matter of fact one miss it's landing and ended up in Broxton. Last I heard it was in a hole dug by a backhoe in the middle of the night.That is why LW brother helped to set her up,he was scared he would end up dead for losing the plane. Watch the program that aired years ago.Dilaudid might have been tranferred out but I don't think it was brought in,my memory may be a little rusty or maybe i just really don't want to remember. Some of the"stuff" was also flown into BM.
Broxton Plane Burial

Lawrenceville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Was it from this drug story? I've always been told it was from another well known drug(gists) operation. The plane landed and couldn't take off because it over ran the prepped runway and bogged down. Thus the burial took place.
Broxton Plane Burial

Lawrenceville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

I think agent Rozier may have said Irwin Co to protect an ongoing investigation into Atkinson Counties massive drug freeway during that time. After some thought though, there may well have been multiple agencies involved.
Hippy Chick

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

This town just blows my mind.. I get up in Miami, Fl in the 80's. Cocaine Cartel millions daily, But these people are nuts.. Just Saying~!!
Hippy Chick

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Judged:

That was cocaine cartel killings...oops.. It was a life style there.. Here it's just evil people..
Becky

Nashville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Where is dr Fred gilliard now?
Help

Perry, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Please help me! Did Latan have her daughter to marry Don Jones or one of those dudes? Does anyone remember anything about that? Maybe I just dreamed it, I don't know. If anyone remembers, please let us know.
Help

Perry, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Something else, Latan would come in the Holiday Inn with someone by the name of Jo Ann (I think that was her name). Does anyone know their connections?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of27
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

87 Users are viewing the Douglas Forum right now

Search the Douglas Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 2 min Synergy 39,403
Dr. Steve Anderson Breast Augmentation (boob jo... (Nov '10) 19 min the cable guy 85
Busted Knuckles is a rip off. CUSTOMERS BEWARE!... 1 hr sounds odd 11
Tom White. (Child Molester ) 1 hr Mormon 19
trying to downgrade a good man! 1 hr Harley 36
Edith Sheffield homicide (Mar '13) 2 hr therernowords 25
Jobeth Thomas and Eliza Bell 2 hr lol 54
First baptist 3 hr SMH 17
Douglas 4 hr Old Salt 26
•••
•••
•••
•••

Douglas Jobs