Poplar Bluff, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2013

Judged:

It's my understanding that you can coach without a degree. But you can't teach without one (or a provisional certificate). But they seldom hire someone just to coach because they waste so much money. Would prefer to have a coach who also teaches classes,even if it's phys ed or health. Why the question?

Quitman, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2013

Yes, you can coach without a degree, but not teach. It depends on the situation, but it is perfectly permissible to do so. Why do you ask? I, too, am curious. Is this being done?

Greenbrier, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Judged:

Yes, we have someone that is taking over one of the positions as coach for the girls softball team. He is a nice guy, super w/ the girls, and is pro active as far as the sport goes. He has lifted the spirits of the girls and has given them a can-do attitude. I for one, am thankful that he has stepped in.
guest 2

Sheridan, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Judged:

You cannot be a mshsaa coach if u don not have a degree, however the new law was passed that if you have a bachelor's degree from an accredited college you can be a head coach withought having the teachers certification.. they passed this law in Missouri because it was getting harder and harder to find coaches
Question

Vilonia, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

I know of coaches who have no degree. You could not be a head coach, only an assistant but that has changed. Look at Naylor. Gene Deckard is an aid and is head coach over 2 teams.
Jep

Doniphan, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

May be time to think outside the box. Most coaches are PE majors and get burn out. Look at Doniphan, good example. Can't hire more PE teachers, so ask for volunteers/ or give it to new teachers. Result: program suffers.

Many schools have head coaches that have degrees, but do not work at the school full time. Probably would work here too.

If budgets continue to shrink, sports may not be offered through the school in the future. Town or county teams might be the future. Probably be less drama and more competitive with the private schools who all recruit heavily.

Greenbrier, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

In my opinion, the ability and attitude to coach a team far outweighs the certificate that acknowledges that someone completed 120 hours of college.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 8 of8
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

23 Users are viewing the Doniphan Forum right now

Search the Doniphan Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
MO Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 8 min 1 who knows 92,113
Officer Plunket arrest juvinile place child in ... 59 min hah 19
fridaynight/early saturday morning theif 1 hr well 13
city fire dept. 1 hr well 12
MO Missouri Proposition B: The Puppy Mill Bill (Oct '10) 2 hr guest 6,872
MO Who do you support for Auditor in Missouri in 2... (Oct '10) 2 hr guest 262
MO Missouri's Prop C: Voters Set to Challenge Heal... (Aug '10) 2 hr guest 18,909
•••
•••
•••
•••

Doniphan Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Doniphan People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance