First Prev
of 5
Next Last
sure thing

Troy, MO

#2 Sep 7, 2009
Can a person with a felony conviction hunt with a shotgun or rifle?

A: The short answer is, if the person has served time or had a suspended execution of sentence, probably not. There are laws prohibiting the possession of firearms and ammunition for those termed “prohibited persons” by federal statute. Among those who are deemed prohibited persons are individuals convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year and those convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence. For a complete list of prohibited persons, or for answers to questions on this topic, please contact your local Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives or the Missouri Attorney General offices or visit their Web sites at www.atf.gov and www.ago.mo.gov , respectively.

While it may be unlawful for a prohibited person to possess a firearm or ammunition, he or she may be able to hunt by means other than firearms. Chapter 7 of the Wildlife Code provides for bow, crossbow, slingshot, atlatl and cage-type trap as methods for hunting.

A hunting permit should be available to anyone who meets the requirements found in Chapter 5 of the Wildlife Code, unless the person has had his or her hunting privilege revoked. Reasons for privilege revocation are a serious wildlife code violation, multiple code violations, failure to pay child support or injuring someone else in a hunting accident. The Wildlife Code is online at www.sos.mo.gov/adrules/csr/current/3csr/3csr ..... Printed versions are available at permit vendors statewide.

http://mdc.mo.gov/conmag/2007/04/misc.htm

Fairdealing, MO

#3 Sep 7, 2009
you can also use a muzzleloader shotgun we called the missouri hwy patrol and conservation agent and they said it was okay
derek

Sheridan, AR

#4 Sep 7, 2009
poacher should have all rights pulled not have any rights..esp since therye on probation.and their mama posten pic of the proud poacher as legal hunter yeah right abuse of system.that inc felons shouldnt have any rights to have guns are anything .most felons and poachers repeat the crap over and over again
the

Greenbrier, AR

#5 Sep 7, 2009
key word being felon...if you have a parole officer....thats who i wpould talk to..i believe
the term weapon can cover lots of things...he might say bow is ok..but i would get that in writing from a judge.....
rich

Poplar Bluff, MO

#6 Sep 7, 2009
i dont know
You Asked

Russellville, AR

#7 Sep 9, 2009
maybe in Missouri, but in Arkansas, you can get the local sheriff to sign a waiver stating although you are a convicted felon, he (the sheriff) has no problem with you hunting and/or posessing a firemarm, you are good to go....Arkansas Rocks!
todd

Washington, DC

#8 Sep 9, 2009
you can in MO too...if you can get a sheriff to do it!
Rats

Greenbrier, AR

#9 Sep 9, 2009
Damn.. I though this topic was about hunting felons... I was wondering when the season started. ;-)

Faridabad, India

#10 Sep 9, 2009
Rats wrote:
Damn.. I though this topic was about hunting felons... I was wondering when the season started. ;-)
LOL :} You made my sides hurt from laughing. Plenty of game for felon hunting, it's the other white meat, but tough.
federal

Doniphan, MO

#11 Sep 10, 2009
federal law overrides any state law...felons are not allowed firearms...so be careful.
Ray

Geneva, AL

#12 Sep 11, 2009
federal wrote:
federal law overrides any state law...felons are not allowed firearms...so be careful.
You are correct. A convicted felon CANNOT possess a fire arm, that includes muzzle loaders and shotguns. This is federal law that covers all 50 states.

Quitman, AR

#13 Sep 11, 2009
you need to get your sh!t straight a felon can have a muzzle loader i know iam a felon.
guest2

Faridabad, India

#14 Sep 11, 2009
That's what we need. A felon carring a gun. Gee! I feel safe now.
mom

United States

#15 Sep 11, 2009
Ray wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct. A convicted felon CANNOT possess a fire arm, that includes muzzle loaders and shotguns. This is federal law that covers all 50 states.
that is so true. but there is 52 states.
Rats

Greenbrier, AR

#16 Sep 12, 2009
mom wrote:
<quoted text> that is so true. but there is 52 states.
Really? I knew there were US Territories... but when did they induct 2 new states?

Geneva, AL

#17 Sep 12, 2009
guest wrote:
you need to get your sh!t straight a felon can have a muzzle loader i know iam a felon.
I hate to bust your bubble but FEDERAL LAW supercedes all state laws and the feds say a FELON CANNOT own a firearm. NO EXCEPTIONS! If you still doubt it call the U.S. Attorneys office in Cape ask ask for yourself, they will be the ones that send your ass off for 120 months for felon in possession.
drake

Sheridan, AR

#18 Sep 20, 2009
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
I hate to bust your bubble but FEDERAL LAW supercedes all state laws and the feds say a FELON CANNOT own a firearm. NO EXCEPTIONS! If you still doubt it call the U.S. Attorneys office in Cape ask ask for yourself, they will be the ones that send your ass off for 120 months for felon in possession.
yes but if you go trade drugs for guns and they dont know about it they wont.felons and folks on probation restraing orders exparte etc are not allowed guns thats why they get them illegally.
towndrunk

Germantown, TN

#19 Sep 28, 2009
Ray wrote:
<quoted text>
Please stop commenting if you don't know what you're talking about. I am very familiar with federal laws given that i work in local law enforcement. Felons can own muzzle loader, black powder guns of any type including revolver replicas as long as the firearm can't be converted to use modern ammunition. Feds consider these guns as antiques. The only problem is that state laws may differ and it still may be a crime in certain states, however federal law supercedes state law, but the state law may be more strict than fed law and therefore the state law may still apply.
towndrunk

Germantown, TN

#20 Sep 28, 2009
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you some type of idiot? why are you gettong hostile with this guy when you are the one that is wrong? The feds DO NOT consider muzzle loaders or black powder guns of any type as firearms!!!
Kevin Kingery

Marshall, MN

#22 Sep 30, 2009
Fed law says 10 yrs file papers with fed comes back clean after 10 ok to perches guns for hunting my boss been doing this for yrs he sells guns for a living. captainkidd2@gmail.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Doniphan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shannon Wuesthoff 5 hr Friend of a friend 6
Who is Brandie Wilson? 10 hr telling the truth 18
jason coleman Thu Elmore 49
Rory Calhoun (Mar '13) Dec 23 Guest 10
Change Sony NEX-6 MTS/M2TS to iMovie friendly v... (Dec '12) Dec 21 futhercareer 2
does anyone know pete paisley (Jun '14) Dec 21 hbb1223 8
Wayne /Bryant brooks Dec 19 burnedexfriend 4
Doniphan Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Doniphan People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Doniphan News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Doniphan

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News