doniphan school searching girls' bras with a ruler looking for cellphones

Posted in the Doniphan Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
a concerned parent

Doniphan, MO

#1 Feb 20, 2010
my teenage daughter told me that friday, the jr high teachers were searching the 6th & 7th grade girls' bras with a ruler looking for cell phones. and that they were going to be searching the 8th grade girls bras on monday and that the police are going to bring their drug dogs and search on monday too. does any one know what the hello is going on in our school?
motherof1

Sheridan, AR

#2 Feb 20, 2010
My daughter is not in school yet, but if that was happening to my daughter, I would be doing something about that.

Quitman, AR

#3 Feb 20, 2010
Sounds rather invasive. ACLU?
bassackwards

Sheridan, AR

#4 Feb 20, 2010
a concerned parent wrote:
my teenage daughter told me that friday, the jr high teachers were searching the 6th & 7th grade girls' bras with a ruler looking for cell phones. and that they were going to be searching the 8th grade girls bras on monday and that the police are going to bring their drug dogs and search on monday too. does any one know what the hello is going on in our school?
If u have concerns take it up with the school board in there monthly meetings. If that doesn't work take it further cause you and i both know that is not right. Do they have permission to do that? Check into that.
wow

Quitman, AR

#5 Feb 20, 2010
THEY WILL NOT DO THIS TO MY DAUGHTER! I have told her that if they try she is to go the office and call me and if they don't let her call me I will raise so much hell in that school they wish they had never seen me. And I can tell them just what they can do with that ruler! They will not touch my daughter!
bassackwards

Sheridan, AR

#6 Feb 20, 2010
wow wrote:
THEY WILL NOT DO THIS TO MY DAUGHTER! I have told her that if they try she is to go the office and call me and if they don't let her call me I will raise so much hell in that school they wish they had never seen me. And I can tell them just what they can do with that ruler! They will not touch my daughter!
I don't blame you. They would not touch my daughter neither but you are goin to have to go higher than the school because they make their own rules and someone besides them need to hear about it because they will say what they want you to hear just to please you. You need to get other's involded and do something about it because Doniphan R-1 makes their own rules.
u-can tell

Fairdealing, MO

#7 Feb 20, 2010
get in touch with KAIT8
so what do you suggest

Greenbrier, AR

#8 Feb 20, 2010
I understand. I don't want a ruler stuck down my daughter's shirt, either. But......

Here is the spot the school is in. Kids are taking cell phones to school. They are using them to pass notes in class (the new high tech way) and to cheat on tests. And as concerned of a parent as you are, I am guessing you would be more concerned and upset if your daughter's pic shows up online in her bra and panties as she changes clothes for gym class. Am I right?

So the school banned cell phones. So the girls stick them in their bras and panties to hide them. If you were the school, what would you do? I am sure they would appreciate your input.

For the parent who plans to raise so much hell, who would you hold responsible if your daughter's pic shows up online scantily clad? I am betting it will be the same school administration you plan to berate if they search for phones. So what do you recommend?
motherof1

Sheridan, AR

#9 Feb 20, 2010
so what do you suggest wrote:
I understand. I don't want a ruler stuck down my daughter's shirt, either. But......
Here is the spot the school is in. Kids are taking cell phones to school. They are using them to pass notes in class (the new high tech way) and to cheat on tests. And as concerned of a parent as you are, I am guessing you would be more concerned and upset if your daughter's pic shows up online in her bra and panties as she changes clothes for gym class. Am I right?
So the school banned cell phones. So the girls stick them in their bras and panties to hide them. If you were the school, what would you do? I am sure they would appreciate your input.
For the parent who plans to raise so much hell, who would you hold responsible if your daughter's pic shows up online scantily clad? I am betting it will be the same school administration you plan to berate if they search for phones. So what do you recommend?
I totally understand your view on it and I would be very upset if that was to happen, but there are other ways of checking for phones rather than sticking objects in places that shouldn't be stuck in. Use the dog instead, get metal detectors of some sort. Girls are sticking phones in their bras and panties...what's next? Are they gonna start checking the panties too? What about the boys? How are they gonna check them?
Also, I understand why they don't want cell phones at school, but what if there was an emergency and my kid couldn't get to a phone?
I am a very protective over my kid, as most parents are, but these things bother me and I think Doniphan school is taking it to far.
Just my point of view.
so what do you suggest

Greenbrier, AR

#10 Feb 20, 2010
The boys are stashing their phones in their shorts. So if they use a metal detector and it detects metal in the student's bra or shorts, what then? Strip search?

We managed forever without every kid in school having a cell phone. I understand that you have more school crises than we used to.

But I am still curious as to exactly what the school should do. And you did not address the subject of your daughter's nude or near nude pic showing up on line. Don't you know that most parents will hold the school responsible for that? The same parents who don't want THEIR child searched.
so what do you suggest

Greenbrier, AR

#11 Feb 20, 2010
So little good comes from Topix. Maybe this will be a rare moment. Maybe a solution to this problem can come from this forum. Anybody? How would you handle the situation to everyone's satisfaction if you were the school?
citizen

Chicago, IL

#12 Feb 20, 2010
I would think a teacher would notice if they were digging in their bra or panties for the phone to use to cheat on a test. If they don't notice something is terrible wrong. I personally wouldn't send my kids to that place. There are other options.
its crazy

Greenbrier, AR

#13 Feb 20, 2010
gosh thats nuts!! i think the school should let kids bring thier phones,but make them keep the n the office until schools out.and i herd something about drug test? uhh ... they wont be drug testing me!! are they even aloud 2 do that? that shouldnt even matter to the school. its the dumb kid who is doin drugs body anyway . its not gonna hurt the school.i dont see why they are takin this so far.DONIPHAN SCHOOL SUCKS, and my kid will never have to go threw this. i go to doiphan and when they were lookin for phones they were so rude.they could be a lil nicer about things.that just how i see it tho.
so what do you suggest

Greenbrier, AR

#14 Feb 20, 2010
citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
I would think a teacher would notice if they were digging in their bra or panties for the phone to use to cheat on a test. If they don't notice something is terrible wrong. I personally wouldn't send my kids to that place. There are other options.
I don't think the kids are keeping their phones in their shorts all the time. They keep them in their pockets, purses, and bookbags. Then when word is out that they are looking for them, the students stash them. As for the other suggestion of checking them at the office, that seems like a logistical nightmare. But might be an option. But it still leaves the problem of how you deal with all the kids who don't check their phones in.

Seriously, I think that any parent who gets on here and gripes (like some of those above did) should come up with an idea or two on how to resolve the issue. C'mon. What ya got?
motherof1

Sheridan, AR

#15 Feb 20, 2010
<quoted text>
I don't think the kids are keeping their phones in their shorts all the time. They keep them in their pockets, purses, and bookbags. Then when word is out that they are looking for them, the students stash them. As for the other suggestion of checking them at the office, that seems like a logistical nightmare. But might be an option. But it still leaves the problem of how you deal with all the kids who don't check their phones in.
Seriously, I think that any parent who gets on here and gripes (like some of those above did) should come up with an idea or two on how to resolve the issue. C'mon. What ya got?
I gave a couple of suggestions. 1. Use the dog they plan on using next week to sniff around for them. 2. Get metal detectors that the airports use to scan over the bodies. If someone is suspected of having a cell phone then they get scanned. I think those are good suggestions.
animal lover

Doniphan, MO

#16 Feb 20, 2010
How about the parents take the phones away from their innocent little angles when they are in school. they are not supposed to be there at all when school is in class. come on parents stand up and follow the rules.
wow

Quitman, AR

#17 Feb 20, 2010
Well first of all, I know for a fact that my kids does not take her phone to school because she has to give it to me every morning before she leaves. If more parents took the time to do that one little thing in the mornings we would not be having this problem. And I will raise hell if they put anything down my daughters shirt or her pants. I can see them checking the purses and duffle bags and lockers and but they will absolutely not put their hands on my child in any way when I know for a fact that her phone is not at school because I have it. I do understand your statement about the nude pics etc but as I said I think it is in the hands of the parents to make sure their children leave the phones at home!
Qwerty

Ossining, NY

#18 Feb 20, 2010
You've got to be kidding me! You're defending strip searches to prevent lawsuits?Um, I'm thinking I'll be a hell of a lot more apt to sue the school for poking rulers down my daughter's nether regions then what you're defending! I agree that cell phones should not be brought to school for the reasons you have stated, but what you suggest as the remedy is not only ridiculous but it's gotta be illegal!(if it's not it should be) The school has made it a policy so, while I'm sure some idiot would still sue if your scenario came true, there's really not much else they can do. Do the teachers and administrators all set good examples by leaving their cells at home? No, so maybe that is one place they could start, by practicing what they preach. Drugs, guns, short skirts, etc are also not allowed on campus either but you're always going to have a few kids who don't follow the rules. I mean surely we're more concerned about a kid bringing drugs or a gun to school aren't we? We've never had strip searches looking for those items! What if they start hiding them in really private places? Will you advocate for cavity searches too? Parents, don't let your kids take their cells to school. Nobody's child has died yet by not being able to call home from their cell.

The airports cannot even do scans that would show explosives on a passenger because it shows peoples fat rolls. I don't care what you say or who it might save from nude pictures on the net, you're not touching my daughter's breasts with anything.
wow

Quitman, AR

#19 Feb 21, 2010
I hear ya! I'm with ya all the way! My daughter has been instructed to call home and I am sending a note with her that says they are to call me and they are absolutely not to put anything down her shirt or her pants or my son's pants for that matter or there will be big problems!

Greenbrier, AR

#20 Feb 21, 2010
Simple solution, leave the dang cell phones at home. They have phones at school and probably could even put in a pay phone or two so the kids could call home if necessary.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Doniphan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
mad mother 13 min mad morher 4
I got ripped off 14 hr username 2
kfvs 12 Tue honestly 3
housefire behind casey's Tue Guest 4
Doniphan Cops (Aug '12) Tue guest 60
Ed Barham Oct 20 Beckey 8
Dakota Hampton on a drug run in St. Louis Oct 20 friend of dakota 8
Doniphan Dating
Find my Match

Doniphan Jobs