Comments
1 - 20 of 103 Comments Last updated May 27, 2014
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Carter Burnett

Petersburg, VA

#1 Nov 2, 2011
Ryan Porter is the future of Dinwiddie County Law enforcement and wants change for the county
DC VIGILANTE

Highland Springs, VA

#13 May 12, 2012
Not only is the fact that Carol Updike is thirty years his junior sickening, he keeps her drunk twenty- four seven. He has an problem with alcohol consumption himself and worst of all, she drives around the county drunk most of the time....which is well known to the deputies and they just let her go. Can we say corruption in office? Furthermore, Duck Adams has so much property in the county and various items that he could have never afforded on his salary as detective...so, he must have stolen that as well as a young girl's innocence and virtue. He has no integrity as a law enforcement officer and should be impeached.
DC WATCHDOG

Midlothian, VA

#15 May 15, 2012
Ryan Porter would have made a better sheriff than Adams. He has a clean history and everything he has is legitimate, unlike Adams whom owns multiple properties and thousands of dollars worth of items acquired over the years that he was detective that he could have never afforded on his salary. On top of that, he has a young alcoholic living with him that he is taking advantage of. She is a convicted felon and he lets her use firearms in his name to hunt.Miss Updike, soon to be Mrs. Adams, since the campaign trail labeled her his fiance, is going to result in having an elected official married to an convicted felon.I thought it is unwise to be an elected official and share a house with a convicted felon What else can I say? Duck illegally hunts and so does his mistress, Carol Updike, who shouldn't even be in the same room as a firearm because she is a convicted felon.
VOICE OF DC GENERATIONS

Hopewell, VA

#19 May 29, 2012
I thought it was:"I do solemnly swear that I will support, protect and defend the Constitution and Government of the United States, and of the State of Virginia; that I am duly qualified to hold office under the Constitution of the State; and that I will well and faithfully perform the duties of Dinwiddie County Sheriff on which I am now about to enter. So help me God" and not having a convicted felon who's more than thirty years his junior living in his house.A man is only as good as his words, especially with oaths of office. Has Adams kept up to the words in his oath of office and preformed his civic duties? NOPE! and that's why I say Porter would have made a much better sheriff!
Disgruntled

Petersburg, VA

#24 Jun 5, 2012
Furthermore, where is the explanations of his acquisitions? Being a detective for thirty years could not afford the items and properties in which he owns. Why aren't people questioning that? Any computer literate person can go to Dinwiddie's website, click on the office of the treasurer, and look up how much property he owns in the county.Why aren't the citizens of Dinwiddie County questioning that? or the situation with his girlfriend?
Disgruntled

Cumberland, VA

#27 Jun 13, 2012
Sheriff Adams is not going to do anything about Daryll Hayes because rumor has it that he payed him off, so he wouldn't run against him. He has Daryll Hayes in his pocket. That should be a "red flag" that he is as crooked as they come.
Disgruntled

Chesterfield, VA

#28 Jun 13, 2012
We all need to get together and write up a petition for impeachment. Whoever is in favor of getting Adams out of office, Reply with *IMPEACH "DUCK"*
Disgruntled

Chesterfield, VA

#29 Jun 13, 2012
*Impeach "Duck"*
Disgruntled

Hopewell, VA

#33 Jul 10, 2012
Where is "Duck" Adams if he is not in office? Why are my tax dollars paying for an elected official if said elected official is not in office? Furthermore, if he is not in office, what is he doing with his borrowed time? I say it is borrowed because it's only a matter of time before he is voted out.
Disgruntled

Petersburg, VA

#42 Aug 1, 2012
I thought it was "As a Law Enforcement Officer, my fundamental duty is to serve mankind; to safeguard lives and property; to protect the innocent against deception, the weak against oppression or intimidation, and the peaceful against violence or disorder; and to respect the Constitutional rights of all men to liberty, equality and justice.
I will keep my private life unsullied as an example to all; maintain courageous calm in the face of danger, scorn, or ridicule; develop self-restraint; and be constantly mindful of the welfare of others. Honest in thought and deed in both my personal and official life, I will be exemplary in obeying the laws of the land and the regulations of my department. Whatever I see or hear of a confidential nature or that is confided to me in my official capacity will be kept ever secret unless revelation is necessary in the performance of my duty.
I will never act officiously or permit personal feelings, prejudices, animosities, or friendships to influence my decisions. With no compromise for crime and with relentless prosecution of criminals, I will enforce the law courteously and appropriately without fear or favor, malice or ill will, never employing unnecessary force or violence and never accepting gratuities.
I recognize the badge of my office as a symbol of public faith, and I accept it as a public trust to be held so long as I am true to the ethics of the police service. I will constantly strive to achieve these objectives and ideals, dedicating myself before God to my chosen profession...law enforcement." and not allow an convicted felon who's obviously has psychological issues and a alcoholic to use legally obtained firearms to hunt
Concerned taxpayer

Petersburg, VA

#46 Aug 1, 2012
Disgruntled, why are you so disgruntled? I do admit that the commerce in this county and the law enforcement techniques are both moving in two separate directions. The county is rapidly growing yet the capabilities of the first responders are not. But let's take a look at the choices that the voters in this county really had. Mr Harmon has no type of law enforcement experience what so ever just a degree in criminal justice. Mr. Porter tried to buy the election with his grandpas money by posting up billboards throughout the county. Plus his only experience was a police officer in col heights then an abc agent (kind of a step backwards) no credible leadership experience at all. Mr Adams served the s.o. Twenty years and made a good name for himself. Then the at the time incumbent Dusty Rhodes, who had been slandered by the media and local naysayers for his entire last term. Some people even tried to get him recalled. Please do not think that I am an Adams supporter by any means however at the time he was the best choice. The number of deputies has dropped on 85 as well as the communities since he has been in office. They have two suspects in custody for b/e but have yet to recover the dangerous weapons that were stolen and are now in the hands of criminals in our community. The child of two Petersburg Police officers almost died due to being left in a car and yet nobody has been arrested. There is really no reason to attack the personal life of the current sheriff. His leadership of the office will determine if he will be our next sheriff. I can only hope that somebody else emerges in three years that is capable of running that office.
Disgruntled

Richmond, VA

#48 Aug 2, 2012
The only people who would defend "Duck" Adams is either Steve Kennedy, David Bunch, or Edward Porch...one of which..I'm not saying names..was promoted to a high ranking position even though not qualified to do the said job.
Concerned taxpayer

Petersburg, VA

#49 Aug 2, 2012
No disgruntled, I am not "Duck" Adams. If I we're why would I be pointing out the mishandling of recent incidents by the command staff of the Sheriffs Office? How would that benefit Duck? Are you operating under the assumption that only county officials and yourself have the capabilities of posting on topix? I am merely stating that Duck was on top of the heap of Dung on election day, that is why he got elected. Your undermining of the voters of Dinwiddie county is not Appreaciated, I happen to be a voter and do not Appreaciate your attacks. By reading your posts I can accurately depict who you are and what you do. Respecting anonymity I will not divulge this nor will I make assertations as to who and what you are. Now with that being said we can move on with the subject matter of this post? The subject here is not just the current sheriff but the ones that will try to seek out his office next term. Will it be the same losers as last time, or will there be some new blood in the water. I could only hope that somebody else comes out. One of the keys to this counties growth is going to be the public safety and who the people elect to uphold the laws of the constitution. The true question here is will our hero emerge?
Disgruntled

Midlothian, VA

#51 Aug 5, 2012
Dusty Rhodes was the best Sherrif we will ever know. Second to that..is Samuel Shands. Both did their job and delivered as advertised.
Concerned taxpayer

Petersburg, VA

#52 Aug 5, 2012
I beg to differ I think that somebody with better Demonstrated leadership abilities would be a better choice than that Porter guy. I mean what has he really done with himself but work at col heights PD then transition over to ABC? I think that he is well suited to levy administrative fines to retail stores and to run undercover ops with minors and store fronts. Does that really make him capable to lead a recognized Law Enforcement Agency as its executive officer? I think not, I would prefer that the Sheriff was not educated at my expense.
White Delight

Chester, VA

#53 Aug 6, 2012
Mr. Concerned taxpayer I respect your position but must differ in opinions. Ryan Porter runs a business in which he gains his own money from on top of working with ABC. He started out with Petersburg PD then moved on to Colonial Hights and ABC. He works hand and hand with the FBI task force and currently holds a top secret clearance to do so. He is a candidate that was concerned for the citizens rather than his own selfish reasons. Take for example the fall festival which he has started during halloween. This was not an inexpensive task however was funded by Porter at no cost to the public. Your previous comment about Ryan's grandfathers money was right. Just like numerous individuals in the county I'm sure that he donated money to the campaign however the majority of his campaign was funded by himself and the billboards that were placed up actually, in part donated to him for that time period by citizens that wanted an educated man in office. And just to throw it out there Porter has now been promoted to supervisor and covers from Fredericksburg to the North Carolina boarder. Maybe people should take time to stop by and meet him and then begin to make there opinions. He is a good an with a good heart.
Sherif Rhodes is also a respectable individual whom turned the sheriffs office around. He is a distinguished war hero and did everything in his power to better the sheriffs office. You have to understand that you cannot please everyone but he tried and as his personal friend I can tell you there is not a racist bone in his body as had been implied during the election.
Disgruntled

New Kent, VA

#54 Aug 6, 2012
Sounds like Ryan Porter is the savior of Dinwiddie County. He actually wants to run a LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY and NOT A HAVEN FOR HUNTIN', FISHIN', TOBACCO CHEWING, LETS GET EVERYBODY WHO IS ONE OF US'S BACK GOOD OL' BOYS.
Disgruntled

New Kent, VA

#55 Aug 6, 2012
And if the Sheriff's Department has gone in the right direction...how come a triple shooting..which killed one young man occurred and there is no suspects in a community in which everybody knows everybody...and people TALK. They have sold dope out of West Peters burg for years and multiple murders have occured there. Would that occur in a community where a law enforcement agency achieves social order? NO
Concerned taxpayer

Petersburg, VA

#56 Aug 6, 2012
Mr White delight I agree that he is a solid multi-tasker, I am happy that he has been promoted to a supervisory position. It's great that he can run a business and maintain his position with the state, and campaign for sheriff as well as fulfill needs as a single parent. Speaking from experience as a supervisory law enforcement officer I can now assertian from what you have just told me that he is not the right choice. The young man is spread too thin. If the voters do choose to elect him the next term,( or if he decides to forego his recent promotion to run a campaign) will he give up his business to be a full time sheriff or will he serve the citizens on the same part time basis as the current sheriff? Or as he is serving the state currently?
Concerned taxpayer

Petersburg, VA

#57 Aug 6, 2012
To disgruntled I have at no time said that the current sheriff is running the sheriffs office at the level that it should be running. Since you did open that door in reference to the recent shooting. This incident would have occurred if the Great General George Patton had been in office. In that close nit community there is alot of mistrust with the law enforcement because of how their job is done and how it has been done for 60 years. The time is here this county better be able to adapt to the level of commerce that is coming. It is time to evolve or be Petersburg for the next 20 years.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dinwiddie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
SOL scores a mixed bag for area schools Aug 28 Rife 1
Dinwiddie Dumbbells Aug 23 wants to know 1
Smell Aug 23 jkkk 5
Dozens to be rounded up in record-breaking drug... (Mar '13) Aug 20 jason jones 16
Del. Dance running for Va. Senate Aug 6 wants to know 3
Bill Rovi not licensed or insured, > $175,000 i... Aug 6 Buddy Mitchell 1
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Veterans, Question 2 (Oct '10) Aug '14 Time Flys 2,546
•••
•••
•••

Dinwiddie Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Dinwiddie People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Dinwiddie News, Events & Info