PLEA FOR JUSTICE: The family of an Indianola teen shot to death is ...

Full story: WHOtv 39
"There's no justice here. That's what were asking for is justice for James." The family of an Indianola teen who was shot to death last summer says the boy charged with the crime is getting off scott free. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
what a guy

AOL

#1 Oct 9, 2010
anyone who think a child should be punished as an adult needs to think === this is a bad problem with laws --- because how you are raised you go to jail ---- i think you need to look at people around him that may have cause this. kids learn from the things they see other do

Since: Sep 10

United States

#2 Oct 9, 2010
Sounds like the Doyle family needs to hire a private attorney that's capable of doing his job and put the prosecutors office on the sideline where they might learn something.
Joan Fry

Savage, MN

#3 Oct 9, 2010
How sad! I hope this family can find peace soon. It appears they are not wanting too. I've seen this case on the news many times, and it appears the family is using this childs death for political reasons. My sister tells me the family has been protesting the Judge, because he kept the child in juvenile court. It's a shame. Instead of protesting, try contacting your legislator. You will get farther, and maybe help change the laws...the same laws that are binding the Judge.
Nevada Guy

Spirit Lake, IA

#4 Oct 9, 2010
No easy answers here. Reloigious argument - go get the gun - bang. Doesn't sound like childs play to me. Billy the Kid started pretty young too.
Central Iowa Man

Toledo, IA

#5 Oct 9, 2010
Um, can someone define Reloigious for me? I am attempting to understand the definition of that word?

That said, I see this as a travesty of justice. To me it doesn't matter how old this kid is, he should do more time than a few years at the state training school or the iowa juvenile home. He obviously has some issues and cannot control his temper. One can only imagine what this turd will turn out like when he turns 18 and hits the streets again.
Mary Hayes

West Des Moines, IA

#6 Oct 9, 2010
Thats the problem with our justical system we slab every on the hands. We need to hold to stricter laws and I know that most people won't agree with me but we can see a spade is a spade we need to have a death penalty. These people live for many years anyway they have so many appeals before excution. You talk a waste of tax money we not only support people who choose not to work and then we support people who don't want to follow the laws. I'm sure many will say but he's just a child. Well he took the life of a child just because he had to be right.
Mary Hayes

West Des Moines, IA

#7 Oct 9, 2010
Thats the problem with our justical system we slap every on the hands. We need to hold to stricter laws and I know that most people won't agree with me but we can see a spade is a spade we need to have a death penalty. These people live for many years anyway they have so many appeals before excution. You talk a waste of tax money we not only support people who choose not to work and then we support people who don't want to follow the laws. I'm sure many will say but he's just a child. Well he took the life of a child just because he had to be right.
Truth Unknown

Albany, GA

#8 Oct 9, 2010
Does anyone wonder why they reduced the charge in the plea agreement? The only reason a prosecutor does that is because they don't have enough evidence to get a conviction. Maybe this was just a tragic accident like it was originally reported by the other kid that was there and the prosecutor overcharged it to begin with.
Whole Story

Albany, GA

#9 Oct 9, 2010
This seems like a one-sided report. My guess is that there is plenty more truth to be told about this case. Sure would like to know what the Judge was thinking. Don't judges write written orders explaining their decision? Has anyone bothered to look that up?
Just too bad that so-called journalists want to take advantage of this tragedy for ratings. But when is the press really interested in the truth. This is a tragedy for both families, but only one family is getting the opportunity to tell their story.
Native Woman

United States

#10 Oct 9, 2010
There is ALOT more.I sat in the courtroom along with both families and heard the asst. co. atty. state the case. Never once did she state with absolute certainity Dan Nadler loaded the weapon. And in the end, the county shared a report with the defense atty's, from the DCI saying that the shell casing could not show which of the 3 boys loaded it as it had been contaminated. That means there is a 33 1/3% Mr.Doyle or the 3rd teen there loaded the weapon.When judges hear cases and must make a decision, he/she must do so based on FACTS NOT EMOTIONS.The Doyle family is still highly emotional and rightfully so.In this case the facts DID NOT support the original charge of murder one nor the murder two it was later dropped to. So what choice did the co. atty. have? None that I can see. We agree Dan pulled the trigger AND HE IS NOT FREE either. He too will live with this the rest of his life and will ALWAYS be under the watchful eye of the law, record expunged or not.And probably the Doyle family too. The Doyle family needs to redirect their anger to who handled evidence. Maybe you were spared being told that James' finger prints were most prominent on the shell. I took the time to sit in the courtroom to hear the elements of the trial to determine if the case should remain in juvenile court or be remanded to adult court. Anyone can do so. It was quite an eye opener. I would challenge anyone to read the case and the judges ruling. Ask the families for a copy. You too will see,what I heard and saw,in print.
I understand their desire to see another person and their family hurting to the degree they are. But if the shoe was on the other foot how would they feel?

Since: Sep 10

United States

#11 Oct 10, 2010
Native Woman wrote:
We agree Dan pulled the trigger
Of your entire post, this was the only line that mattered. When a person is murdered you would think the important information would be who pulled the trigger, not who loaded the damn gun! Dan needs to be incarcerated for murder.
SisterOfJames

Des Moines, IA

#12 Oct 10, 2010
That was brother. That was my big brother the one that was supposed to walk me down the aisle when it came my time to get married. The one who was my protector when I needed him. The one my 11 year old little brother was supposed to go to when he had girl problems or needed someone to talk to. And now what? His life was taken over another childs stupidity. My brother is dead because another child decided to be a cold-blooded murderer. He shows no remorse whatsoever for he has done. And I have been to every single court date we have had. I got to read the police report. I got to read the judges decision. There is SO much that you people along with the rest of them that you guys won't know and never will know. I think you all need to stop and think about what your basing your "facts" on. You haven't seen or read or even heard the things I have. So you need to stop and think before you going running your mouths about something you have absolutley no clue about. The judge said "it wouldn't be in the communities best interest" to put Dan in prison. Well that's bull crap. His decisoin was a career based move and thats all it was. And you know what Judge Clogg has dealt with Daniels father before. And I don't find it to be fair that a Judge who has had Dans father in court before gets to make a decision like this regarding his son. How do we know that Ernest Nadler and Judge Clogg aren't the best of friends? What if they were and thats what he's basing his decision on? There is no justice being done for my brother in this case. And it's wrong. I sat in court and saw the picture of my brother. Him laying there with blood on him. Him dead. How would you guys feel if that were your brother? Or your son or nephew? You wouldn't like it and you would be doing the same things my family is. You'd be trying to get him justice because you know he deserves it. My brother wanted to be a lawyer. He would have been a damn good one too. But no Daniel Nadler took all that away from him. He DECIDED Jame's fate. And he decided his fate was to die right then and there. Daniels family still gets their birthdays and Christmases with their son. We don't we have to go watch my brothers Youtube videos just to hear his voice again. They make a simple phone call and get to hear his. If there was a way we could call my brother in Heaven then we would, but there isn't. They still have their son, and brother and best friend and we don't. They get to see him and hug him and talk to him and we sure don't. So stop and think about how you would honestly feel if that would have been your son or daughter. Or even YOU. You'd be feeling and doing the same things we are. And Daniels father and family could be heard. They could be telling their side on the news or to all of you. But they don't and thats not our fault. So take a step back and think before you start judging my family. And saying things you have no clue about. Just think for a minute..

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
muleskinner1942

Herrin, IL

#13 Oct 10, 2010
Joan Fry wrote:
How sad! I hope this family can find peace soon. It appears they are not wanting too. I've seen this case on the news many times, and it appears the family is using this childs death for political reasons. My sister tells me the family has been protesting the Judge, because he kept the child in juvenile court. It's a shame. Instead of protesting, try contacting your legislator. You will get farther, and maybe help change the laws...the same laws that are binding the Judge.
No there're use James for politrical reasons. The judge was predujust before he was on the case cause he has never turned a juvenile over to adult court, he should never been on this case if he can't rule without predudist. you shouldn't write things about peoples family without knowing them. We have no political reason. This was a hate crime and we ask for the FBI to be called and they said not at this time knowing they were never going to ask.Warren county needs to be investigated for its corruption in the couirt house. If you want to get by with murder or stealing the publics money just go to warren county.
Anonymous

Herrin, IL

#14 Oct 10, 2010
Mary Hayes wrote:
Thats the problem with our justical system we slap every on the hands. We need to hold to stricter laws and I know that most people won't agree with me but we can see a spade is a spade we need to have a death penalty. These people live for many years anyway they have so many appeals before excution. You talk a waste of tax money we not only support people who choose not to work and then we support people who don't want to follow the laws. I'm sure many will say but he's just a child. Well he took the life of a child just because he had to be right.
Yes a slap on the hands is not enough. I didn't want to see him get life without parole but i want him to get more than just 2 years. If the parents would have gotten him in the first place many years ago this might have not happened.
Anonymous

Herrin, IL

#15 Oct 10, 2010
Native Woman wrote:
There is ALOT more.I sat in the courtroom along with both families and heard the asst. co. atty. state the case. Never once did she state with absolute certainity Dan Nadler loaded the weapon. And in the end, the county shared a report with the defense atty's, from the DCI saying that the shell casing could not show which of the 3 boys loaded it as it had been contaminated. That means there is a 33 1/3% Mr.Doyle or the 3rd teen there loaded the weapon.When judges hear cases and must make a decision, he/she must do so based on FACTS NOT EMOTIONS.The Doyle family is still highly emotional and rightfully so.In this case the facts DID NOT support the original charge of murder one nor the murder two it was later dropped to. So what choice did the co. atty. have? None that I can see. We agree Dan pulled the trigger AND HE IS NOT FREE either. He too will live with this the rest of his life and will ALWAYS be under the watchful eye of the law, record expunged or not.And probably the Doyle family too. The Doyle family needs to redirect their anger to who handled evidence. Maybe you were spared being told that James' finger prints were most prominent on the shell. I took the time to sit in the courtroom to hear the elements of the trial to determine if the case should remain in juvenile court or be remanded to adult court. Anyone can do so. It was quite an eye opener. I would challenge anyone to read the case and the judges ruling. Ask the families for a copy. You too will see,what I heard and saw,in print.
I understand their desire to see another person and their family hurting to the degree they are. But if the shoe was on the other foot how would they feel?
You don't know what your talking about. If you want to tell the truth yhen do it not lies. Dan admitted loading the gun and shooting James. It is on the police report and admitted it to the judge and his attorney.
Native Woman

United States

#16 Oct 10, 2010
muleskinner, you are NOT correct in any of your information. There was no admission by Dan. Even their representative-the assistant co.atty.-Karla Fultz said so in the opening statements. So I DO KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. Get a copy of the court transcript.Read it...If the judge and Dan's dad were buddy buddy he would have excused himself.You know better but you choose to show ignorance in your statements. But I guess if you have gotten this far in life by running your mouth, happy journey. The time for healing is now.The Nadler family is showing great restraint. They very well could create a media circus as the Doyle Family has. But they have chosen not to. Maybe they will in the future. But why bother when we have enjoyed the ignorance displayed thus far. In court the Doyle Family seemed so close and taken care of by the county atty. Whya are they crying foul now????
Get a Grip

Fort Dodge, IA

#17 Oct 10, 2010
Come on people, get a grip on life. First I want to say to native woman, it's obvious you haven't lost anyone close to you or you opionion would be totally different than what you are giving right now. I'm sure the other family isn't WANTING any publicity right now, as there son is being betrayed as a murderer, what are you thinking?! Second, I've seen this stuff first hand and this isn't the place to go to spouting stuff at the mouth about what you know and what you don't know about what has happened in court, if this is still an on going thing i'm sure you don't really want to be releasing information on here like you are, do you? Lastly, getting on here going back and fourth after someone's child has been murdered is just hideous and looks so tacky, now step back from the computer and find something useful to do with your life, please!
Anonymous

Herrin, IL

#18 Oct 10, 2010
Native Woman wrote:
muleskinner, you are NOT correct in any of your information. There was no admission by Dan. Even their representative-the assistant co.atty.-Karla Fultz said so in the opening statements. So I DO KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. Get a copy of the court transcript.Read it...If the judge and Dan's dad were buddy buddy he would have excused himself.You know better but you choose to show ignorance in your statements. But I guess if you have gotten this far in life by running your mouth, happy journey. The time for healing is now.The Nadler family is showing great restraint. They very well could create a media circus as the Doyle Family has. But they have chosen not to. Maybe they will in the future. But why bother when we have enjoyed the ignorance displayed thus far. In court the Doyle Family seemed so close and taken care of by the county atty. Whya are they crying foul now????
you agreed that Dan pulled the trigger he brutally killed James murder is murder and he needs locked up for a long time if your family would have paid for his therapy years back this might not have happened he broke a 2nd grade girls foot and locked her in a closet and it was hours before she was found, he shot beebees at the cripled girl next door to him and tryed to burn his neighbors fence down and two weeks prior threatend to shoot other boys now tell this kid can be rehabilitated never he needs to go to prison and his dad needs to slapped in the ass with a wrongfull death law suit. now get that report and learn something
Native Woman

United States

#19 Oct 10, 2010
get a grip-one should not assume I have not lost anyone close to me. You will never know how my heart has been heavy over deaths -both violent and non violent- of persons near and dear to me. But I realize I must honor them and their memory by moving on and doing good. All that remains is the sentencing. No one knows what kind of sentence the judge will hand down. No one should assume he will be free in 3 years.
muleskinner-you are making statements I did not say.Anyone call pull a trigger but SOMEONE must load a weapon. That SOMEONE was one of 3 boys present. If Dan did not, who did??? And why would my family pay for therapy for Dan? There again you have ASSUMED WRONGLY that I am related. Your anger is overwhelming and very revealing. From your statement it would appear that you feel money can make it all better. You are very sad.I will smudge and say prayers for you.
Anonymous

Herrin, IL

#20 Oct 11, 2010
Native Woman wrote:
get a grip-one should not assume I have not lost anyone close to me. You will never know how my heart has been heavy over deaths -both violent and non violent- of persons near and dear to me. But I realize I must honor them and their memory by moving on and doing good. All that remains is the sentencing. No one knows what kind of sentence the judge will hand down. No one should assume he will be free in 3 years.
muleskinner-you are making statements I did not say.Anyone call pull a trigger but SOMEONE must load a weapon. That SOMEONE was one of 3 boys present. If Dan did not, who did??? And why would my family pay for therapy for Dan? There again you have ASSUMED WRONGLY that I am related. Your anger is overwhelming and very revealing. From your statement it would appear that you feel money can make it all better. You are very sad.I will smudge and say prayers for you.
Native woman You sound like a Religious nut too me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Des Moines Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you approve of Jack Hatch as State Senator? (Jun '12) Sep 27 Tommy Harmon 2
Do you approve of J. Scott Raecker as State Rep... Sep 27 Tommy Harmon 1
Do you approve of Kevin Koester as State Repres... Sep 27 Tommy Harmon 1
Do you approve of Peter Cownie as State Represe... Sep 27 Tommy Harmon 1
Do you approve of Leonard Boswell as Representa... Sep 27 Tommy Harmon 1
Your 2 Cents' Worth Submit brief anonymous comm... (Jul '09) Sep 22 Go Blue Forever 152
Review: Caban Construction & Services (Feb '14) Sep 20 Jazzy 3

Des Moines Jobs

Des Moines People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Des Moines News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Des Moines

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]