Animal abuser pleads guilty to gun charge | The Columbus Dispatch

When Billy Joe Gregg Jr. drove to the sheriff's office to be questioned about whether he had abused cows on a Union County dairy farm, he had a loaded handgun in the console of his pickup truck. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
paul

Dublin, OH

#1 Jan 20, 2011
fegrecvh
Dean

Chillicothe, OH

#2 Jan 20, 2011
And Gary Conklin get's a free pass he knew what was taking place on HIS farm.
Pickaway County Farmer

United States

#3 Jan 20, 2011
Dean wrote:
That was never proven and probably very doubtful that he knew about it. The ones that did know and did nothing but probably encouraged it was the undercover videotaper who according to his own testimony also participated in the abuse yet got off with a pat on the back by lunitic fringe HSUS.
Tim

Mount Gilead, OH

#4 Jan 20, 2011
But ur honor?

He only was toteing the gun because he was going to be a cop someday.
Dots

North Royalton, OH

#5 Jan 20, 2011
Bottom line....the guy is appalling and should not have had any of his sentence suspended. Are you people that blind and not care that he physically and intentionally caused pain to living breathing mammals? Would you want to socialize with someone like this? What kind of a person does this? And what kind of a person thinks he shouldn't be punished? You people really are pathetic, making excuses whatever excuses you can to back a farmer. There are good farmers and bad farmers and unfortunately from what I've been seeing lately in the news, there are beginning to be more bad than good. Makes me consider changing my diet.
Veronica Dickey from Ohio

Akron, OH

#6 Jan 20, 2011
I have a degree in Agriculture from Ohio State, so I am not against farming, but I am against blatant abuse to animals, including livestock.

Competent farmers run a closely supervised, hands-on operation, staying on top of all daily operations. These same skilled farmers know that keeping their animals healthy with necessary vet visits, proper food, quality housing and expert handling is not only good for their livestock, it is good for business!

So the owner of Conklin Dairy Farm knew exactly whom he hired and what his employees were doing, but for some odd reason just simply did not care!

It is time for all competent farmers and the Livestock Care Standards Board that represents them, to stop defending a person merely because they own a farm! There are 'standards' in farming, skilled animal husbandry being one of them. When a farmer violates the 'standards' help him/her to quickly fulfill the 'standards' or it they have such a deplorable operation, expose them for what they are and see to it they are put out of business. One rotten apple does spoil the whole bushel!
Pickaway County Farmer

United States

#7 Jan 20, 2011
Veronica Dickey from Ohio wrote:
I have a degree in Agriculture from Ohio State, so I am not against farming, but I am against blatant abuse to animals, including livestock.
Competent farmers run a closely supervised, hands-on operation, staying on top of all daily operations. These same skilled farmers know that keeping their animals healthy with necessary vet visits, proper food, quality housing and expert handling is not only good for their livestock, it is good for business!
So the owner of Conklin Dairy Farm knew exactly whom he hired and what his employees were doing, but for some odd reason just simply did not care!
It is time for all competent farmers and the Livestock Care Standards Board that represents them, to stop defending a person merely because they own a farm! There are 'standards' in farming, skilled animal husbandry being one of them. When a farmer violates the 'standards' help him/her to quickly fulfill the 'standards' or it they have such a deplorable operation, expose them for what they are and see to it they are put out of business. One rotten apple does spoil the whole bushel!
Using your same logic, then any head of any organization should be liable for the actions of anyone on their staff? I find your last statement to be somewhat funny, considering you don't follow it. You are judging the Owner of the farm by the actions of one of his many employees, I should say 2 since the undercover agent was also abusing but got off on the excuse that he was just doing it to get along. Personally, I think Billy Joe Gregg should be in prison for a longer time then he got. But we weren't in the court room or did we know what the lawyers in the courtroom did so since he got off, makes you wonder if he was the follower of the real instigator who was already let off scot-free.
Hand Banana

Bowling Green, OH

#8 Jan 20, 2011
I don't care who filmed that hillbilly, he should be in jail for a long long time.
Hopefully, the gun charges will put him right back where he belongs.

And, Conklin..his farm, his responsiblity. I am not saying he should be in jail, but, don't make excuses for him. If he really didn't know what was happening, then the only viable excuse I'll believe, was that he was in a coma.
How do you not notice the injuries that piece of crap inflincted on those cows, and babies?
Ugh! I still hate that guy and would pay for 5 minutes alone with him.
Oh, to dream.
dergh

Mount Vernon, OH

#9 Jan 20, 2011
How sad that people like this man not only are animal abusers but are also permitted to carry firearms. He needs to be in jail pending a longer sentence for the abuse and the guns. Time to stop slapping these people on the wrist. As for the farmer, he needs to pay attention to what the people he trusts his farm to are doing; there is no excuse for not knowing what these men do during their work day. I don't stand against farmers for their life work, but there is no excuse for abusing an animal in your care whether it is intended for food or not.
Judge Punishment

United States

#10 Jan 22, 2011
Judge Fraser:

18 months is not enough!

Order 18 years at the outdoor work camp.

This judiciary is tired of these mentally ill, subspecies clogging our court.

Protect & properly punish.
ebill

Columbus, OH

#11 Jan 23, 2011
What were they doing in his truck? Did they have a warrent to search for a gun? Or for anything else? Evidence in a cow abuse case like a cowtoe in the dash?
The guy learned how to handle livestock from someone. Go after that guy as well.
Drew

Boswell, PA

#12 Feb 5, 2011
Having been convicted of a felony, Gregg will never be a police officer (which was his goal). Thank God.
Drew

Boswell, PA

#13 Feb 5, 2011
ebill wrote:
The guy learned how to handle livestock from someone. Go after that guy as well.
Gregg worked on farms in Oregon, Michigan and Texas. There will never be a way to prove that he abused cows on any other farm...Rosalinda MacDowell (his mother) may have taught him. The important thing is for the human race to work toward a less destructive way of life.
Watch out Gregg

Columbus, OH

#14 Feb 6, 2011
Drew wrote:
Having been convicted of a felony, Gregg will never be a police officer (which was his goal). Thank God.
The down side to that is, he probably will spend his life working with animals on farms. He ought to be banned from that.

At any rate, I hope he fears for his security, safety and life, every single day, for the rest of his useless life. Billy Joe Gregg, KNOW, that there are so many out there, who HATE you, and feel that justice was not served.
Drew

Boswell, PA

#15 Feb 6, 2011
Watch out Gregg wrote:
<quoted text>
The down side to that is, he probably will spend his life working with animals on farms. He ought to be banned from that.
I don't know how that will happen unless he works on his family's farm. Employers don't want a public relations problem so I doubt anyone will hire him to work on a farm or elsewhere.

Gregg recently changed his name on Facebook to Billy Ray Remington. He may legally change his name to help his job prospects, but people will still know. This will follow him until he dies.
Ummm

Helena, MT

#16 Feb 14, 2011
Am I the only person who saw the video of the owner punching a cow in the face?
Drew

Boswell, PA

#17 Feb 22, 2011
Gary Conklin kicked a downer cow and then smiled at the investigator. To my knowledge, this is the only video that features Conklin. The punching was due to Gregg, unless you have access to an extremely rare video.
Riversleigh

Narangba, Australia

#19 Feb 28, 2011
You will see these people again, only next time it will be a child or young woman. This is how the Anita Cobby killers started
Belinda Gregg

United States

#20 Apr 12, 2011
I was wondering how i could get a hold of rosalind mcdowell his mother i am his step sister and have never met anyone of my brothers.ive tried to track them down but no luck till now i dont condone what he has done just would like to meet my other siblings i blame his problem partly on his father billy joe gregg sr his a violent man i tracked him down and his messed up alot of kids families people dont know the half of it please if anyone knows how i can contact her please text me at four two three nine six seven five four two zero thanks
C-bus Girl

Columbus, OH

#21 Jul 6, 2011
Dean wrote:
What makes you so certain that he knew? I heard that the owner doesn't live at the farm. Plus, this Gregg guy came with good references and a good resume. Short of being psychic, how could Conklin know that Gregg was a sadistic a-hole?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Delaware Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Breaking News! Wed Citrus Scoop 1
Monica Day is HOT (Jul '12) Wed RutgersU 40
Review: Partybell Wed JoshuaWilliams 2
[OH] Columbus Police Officer Richard Evans arre... (Jan '10) Nov 25 Dillon Evans 7
Bucky Nov 23 Sad 5
What's are the good school district in delaware... Nov 23 Neighbor 1
Air Conditioning and Refrigeration (Aug '13) Nov 22 kurtcooksalot16 10
Delaware Dating
Find my Match

Delaware People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Delaware News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Delaware

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News