Elliott Airport Expansion?

Posted in the Dawsonville Forum

Concerned Citizen

United States

#1 Dec 9, 2009
Has anyone heard about the FAA moving forward to expand the airport that is owned by the Elliotts to a commercial regional airport? Is this public informtion that we can get our hands on before they railroad us (again)? I live out hwy 53 and commute to work past that land everyday, when will this stop?

Since: Jul 08

Jefferson, GA

#2 Mar 3, 2010
How long have you lived out 53? You do know that that airport has been there for over 20 years, right?

On hearing anything, no. But as much as people like to talk about the Elliotts, it is probably that same rumor mill that is always churning.

If you are that concerned, why don't you just drive yourself over there, knock on the doors since you go past it everyday and ask?
watch em

Pounding Mill, VA

#3 May 9, 2010
If you want to know what can happen at these local yokel airports, check out what has happened at the airport in Blairsville. Don't Bill live over there? Whole neighborhood got moved out. Uncle Sam footed the cost. Ain't like your common everyday citizen has a jet. But that same citizen is the one that pays the bill. Better keep an eye on your local developement authority. They'll slip it in on you, and tell you it's for the good of the community. Truth is for the good of a few priviliged members of the community. The ones who want a larger airport so they can land larger planes. At taxpayer expense.
InCheck

Ellijay, GA

#4 May 24, 2010
watch em wrote:
If you want to know what can happen at these local yokel airports, check out what has happened at the airport in Blairsville. Don't Bill live over there? Whole neighborhood got moved out. Uncle Sam footed the cost. Ain't like your common everyday citizen has a jet. But that same citizen is the one that pays the bill. Better keep an eye on your local developement authority. They'll slip it in on you, and tell you it's for the good of the community. Truth is for the good of a few priviliged members of the community. The ones who want a larger airport so they can land larger planes. At taxpayer expense.
Apparently you really don't know. Bill Elliott has not lived in Blairsville for over 3 years & there was no "whole neighborhood" around that airport. Also, the same homes are still there & alot of the same people still live close. So, keep on doing what you do. ;) Make up a few more things, maybe someone will believe one of them eventually.
the kutter

Pounding Mill, VA

#5 May 27, 2010
InCheck wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently you really don't know. Bill Elliott has not lived in Blairsville for over 3 years & there was no "whole neighborhood" around that airport. Also, the same homes are still there & alot of the same people still live close. So, keep on doing what you do. ;) Make up a few more things, maybe someone will believe one of them eventually.
Sounds like your on the Aiport Authority board. Has UPS built a hub there since the expansion? Your probably one of those people that complains about taxes, then has a hand out for "free money".
InCheck

Ellijay, GA

#6 Jun 10, 2010
I wish I could get "free money". I have to pay my taxes where I live & I also from where I work. Please tell us some more about things you don't know about. For instance, tell us all about this UPS hub & give take some pictures for us while you are at it.
watch em

Grundy, VA

#7 Jun 19, 2010
InCheck wrote:
I wish I could get "free money". I have to pay my taxes where I live & I also from where I work. Please tell us some more about things you don't know about. For instance, tell us all about this UPS hub & give take some pictures for us while you are at it.
It's at the airport in Blairsville lol!! You know the taxpayers got their money's worth outta that one just like thez will thar in Dawson Co. Millions for what to benefit who? You don't think yur tax dollars yur braggin' about won't end up expanding an airport? I guess if'n you got a jet yur gettin' yur free money's worth. Funny how airport expansions follow sum people around.
question mark

Richlands, VA

#8 Dec 13, 2010
watch em wrote:
<quoted text>It's at the airport in Blairsville lol!! You know the taxpayers got their money's worth outta that one just like thez will thar in Dawson Co. Millions for what to benefit who? You don't think yur tax dollars yur braggin' about won't end up expanding an airport? I guess if'n you got a jet yur gettin' yur free money's worth. Funny how airport expansions follow sum people around.
HUH?
Huh

Cape Canaveral, FL

#9 Jan 1, 2011
Money done dried up for the Lear Jet expansion? There are a lot of people with jets there ain't there? Lives of the Rich and Famous.......and the taxpayers that foot their bill.........
question mark

Richlands, VA

#10 Jan 3, 2011
What are you talking about? Does anyone know?
runway

Richlands, VA

#11 Jan 8, 2011
When does the grounbreaking begin? I'm having my Learjet serviced. You taxpayers need to get this project moving. I have the right to land my jet close to home. Just think of all the good that will come out of that for the community.
yup

Richlands, VA

#12 Feb 20, 2011
When does construction commence?
Roger

Lawrenceville, GA

#13 Jun 19, 2011
The FAA's has only rated Elliott's as a private airstrip (limited to 10 flight events a day). That is nothing like a public airport, which has nearly no limits at all in terms of volume, per federal law, and certainly nothing like a Regional Airport, which accommodates commercial airlines, both passenger, and cargo.
twinstar wrote:
How long have you lived out 53? You do know that that airport has been there for over 20 years, right?
On hearing anything, no. But as much as people like to talk about the Elliotts, it is probably that same rumor mill that is always churning.
If you are that concerned, why don't you just drive yourself over there, knock on the doors since you go past it everyday and ask?
Liars suck

Dawsonville, GA

#14 Jul 5, 2012
Twinstar, I live in the area and have for more than 20 years. When I bought here, the Elliott "airport" was a grass landing strip. "INs" with the local government allowed them to do what few others would have been allowed to do.
Further, did you read the airport bill of 2011...oh my, the power granted to the few so the Elliotts could again profit while screwing the residents who lived around them.
There are literally hundreds of homes and farms around Elliott Field, not just a few scattered homes.
This year, 2012, since Elliott sold his land to a "developer" (ha ha) and the Motorsports Park went up (such as it is) and the City tried to pull the Airport Bill coup (for a regional airport!), my home valuation went down 40K.
My ex-state representative Chip Pearson fared a lot worse, his valuation on some of his property was cut 50%!!!(think about that one for a while, won't you?)

I thought I did my homework, but the "leaders" of the City and County sure showed me one thing, if there is an influential family and a few wannabe developers and graders who have an 'in' with the local and State government, God help any homeowner.

They will lose their rights to a quality of life when they put the key in the lock.
Comprehensive land use plans, paid for by the taxpayers, be damned! They're not worth the Charmin you wipe with.

Now Twinstar, go shill for the Elliotts elsewhere, you're not telling the truth here.
Liars suck

Dawsonville, GA

#15 Jul 5, 2012
Roger wrote:
The FAA's has only rated Elliott's as a private airstrip (limited to 10 flight events a day).<quoted text>
Why do you think that can't change?
Here is how the airport is listed:
http://www.airport-data.com/airport/30GA/
It's wrong, however, since the airport is 5500 paved feet.
Check it out with PTD airport.
In 2011, Elliott had a permit "in hand" for expansion.
House Bill 453 was a precursor to the plans of making a regional airport a reality, and if you read the writing in this bill, if you were a resident, it would make you shudder. The State power that would have been granted to the likes of Cox and his crew of greedy ignoramouses was astounding.
Keep pumping out the smoke...or...bother with saying something relevant.
Bill

Stockbridge, GA

#16 Feb 24, 2014
Does anyone have a phone number that I can call to see if they have any lots at the airport for sale?
Thanks
for u

Atlanta, GA

#17 May 9, 2014
The whole airport is for sale bill. Got 16 million? I'll get you a phone number.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dawsonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Coosawattee River Resort Ripping Off Owners (Apr '07) 56 min mary l 11,043
Blue Ridge Topix crossover to Ellijay 8 hr no re-read those 4
Good riddance Sat Finally 1
rusty beamon (Apr '14) Fri Santa 19
gay cruising at 515 scenic overlook (Aug '12) Dec 26 xjoe 93
What's going on tonight on Roy Rd? Dec 24 Ga Girl 56 7
Ellijay hospital diversion Dec 24 Ga Girl 56 3

Flood Watch for Dawson County was issued at December 28 at 2:29PM EST

Dawsonville News Video

Dawsonville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Dawsonville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Dawsonville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Dawsonville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:19 pm PST

Yahoo! Sports 1:19PM
Colts bounce back, go 6-0 in AFC South
Bleacher Report 1:53 PM
Bucs Secure No. 1 Pick in 2015 Draft
NBC Sports 2:10 PM
Titans clinch second pick in draft, lose to Colts
NBC Sports 3:34 PM
Falcons lose both starting safeties vs. Carolina - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 3:38 PM
Clock is ticking on Falcons, Mike Smith