Crestview, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2010

Judged:

Im confused I see the post saying blacks are bad and the police are currupt and you have drugs in Danville My family and I had our hearts set on moving to Danville is it really that bad? And isnt true that the drug market there is just marajuana that people grow to feed there kids or is it shitt like coke meth ETC. And for the currupt cops I was a officer for 12 yars and ive heard that line time and time again so what they turn there heads to a few pot plants and take care of a few of the good ole boys kind of thing or do they do drive by shooting on the court house and all who stand in thier way?? come on this has to be a stretch of the truth someone shoot me straight please before I bring my family all the way up there
N_South

Danville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2010

Judged:

John wrote:
Im confused I see the post saying blacks are bad and the police are currupt and you have drugs in Danville My family and I had our hearts set on moving to Danville is it really that bad? And isnt true that the drug market there is just marajuana that people grow to feed there kids or is it shitt like coke meth ETC. And for the currupt cops I was a officer for 12 yars and ive heard that line time and time again so what they turn there heads to a few pot plants and take care of a few of the good ole boys kind of thing or do they do drive by shooting on the court house and all who stand in thier way?? come on this has to be a stretch of the truth someone shoot me straight please before I bring my family all the way up there
There are not many jobs here. They pay the police salary that does not go to their retirement, because they take out no taxes. I talked to one Policeman who said he has to leave because he'll have no retirement to live on.
The people here are very small minded, plus the powerful ones are only the original founding "fathers", plus ancestors.
I know most kids after graduation choose to move away, after college because of the extremes in income, thus criminality.
You may fit right in, because if your niche is either extreme, you may find friends here!:)
John

Crestview, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2010

Judged:

N_South wrote:
<quoted text>
There are not many jobs here. They pay the police salary that does not go to their retirement, because they take out no taxes. I talked to one Policeman who said he has to leave because he'll have no retirement to live on.
The people here are very small minded, plus the powerful ones are only the original founding "fathers", plus ancestors.
I know most kids after graduation choose to move away, after college because of the extremes in income, thus criminality.
You may fit right in, because if your niche is either extreme, you may find friends here!:)
Thank You for your straight info It is true that as a former officer I feel much much respect for the Law enforcement in any town in the world the job is tough at times and can pull you in the wrong direction sometimes you just have to back out and re-group and return fresh minded of the oath you take no one is perfect thats why I surround myself with a church there is allways good folks that dont want a thing from you but friendship Danville job or not im on my way
John also from FL

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2010

John wrote:
<quoted text> Thank You for your straight info It is true that as a former officer I feel much much respect for the Law enforcement in any town in the world the job is tough at times and can pull you in the wrong direction sometimes you just have to back out and re-group and return fresh minded of the oath you take no one is perfect thats why I surround myself with a church there is allways good folks that dont want a thing from you but friendship Danville job or not im on my way
Hello John and Davillians,
Hmmm.. This is a bit interesting, as I've heard many different angles and views of what Danville "is and isn't" since making it known that this was where my family was planning to relocate to. I fly into Danville next week for a 3 day stay to see the city and it's land and people. My family will ALSO be moving there quite possibly in the next 2 months due to a career offer (so employment isn't an issue here)and we can't seem to get straight answers out of anyone in regards to gangs, safety, hard drugs(not Marijuana), crime, intolerances and the possibility of being victims of Hate Crimes. We're coming to this community in hopes of making not only a difference in our own lives by getting away from the cities, but to hopefully be of service to the community in many ways as well. We're coming from South Florida so it's not like we haven't seen and experienced city life and the crime that goes along with it. But any info would be greatly appreciated, since the clock is ticking, I've already chosen a house and plan on opening up a center for the Arts/Dance/Theater/Music that will not only bring some modern culture to Danville, but will also serve as a community outreach type of program for underprivaledged kids who need a FREE place to go, learn, stay clean and off the streets and build their self esteen by learning to work and collaborate with others.
Fiscalities are not the issue here at all. And we want lots of space to breathe in the air and enjoy the woods like you just cannot do here. So really I'm wondering, outside the fact that there is a guarunteed income, is there room for growth and does Danville WANT it? Or will this be not only a losing battle before it's begun, but will I be putting my family's health and safety in danger? I'm very concerned.
John in Fl... If you'd like to share any info, I'd of course be happy to give you all the info I bring back with me next week after our visit. It seems like we're looking for the same answers.
Thank you to all who read this and I hope to see and answer or two! Have Great day all!!! J.T.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2010

I've now registered. I'm "John also from FL" above.
Jay

Mechanicsville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2010

Judged:

Danville is a joke. I have been there and it stinks. Don't waste your time there.
Jay

Mechanicsville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2010

Judged:

N_South wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly, you hit it right in the button. That's why I am glad I moved to Richmond. Never been happier.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2010

The above comments are absolute RUBBISH! After spending the past 4 days in Danville and seeing the entire city and it's suburbs (including it's supposed "Ghettoes") through the eyes of people who actually enjoy living there all I have to say is these comments above are made by people who either don't want to be a part of a TRUE community, have small minds or are just young and looking for constant stimulation via nightclubs, pop culture and non stop partying. Danville is an amazing city, full of great people, beautiful architecture, plenty to do, great schools(some of the very best programs we've ever seen), a true sense of History all around and ripe with oppurtunities to offer ANYONE who's willing to get off their rear ends and be a part of a "Community" and care about more than just themselves. The potential for Growth is almost unlimited and with the Incredible Research & Education Center being available FREE to anyone who wants to learn a trade,the forthcoming opening of the Homeland/Itech facility, more than 400 jobs will be made available and the economy (which isn't as bad as people make you think reading above) will be not only stimulated, but the downtown area will also spring back to life within the next 2 years. If you're looking for a great place to move to, raise your family, send your kids to GREAT schools (I know, I SAW with my own eyes!) and be somewhere that people know your name, wave Hello everyday and actually value friends, activism, encourage learning and growth and have the resources to offer in order to provide all of this, Danville is perfect. The houses are gorgeous and right now the housing dollar value you spend for an amzing home is UNBELIEVABLE. The HOME we found was under 400.000 and was so beautiful and in Florida is easily a 1.5 million dollar house. REGARDLESS OF NEIGHBORHOOD! But the neighborhood is sublime with tons of land and great neighbors. Don't listen to the comments above. They're obviously from peple who feel "trapped" by Danville when they probably should have just implemented the change neccessary in their lives to leave there. Not everywhere is for everyone. but Danville is certainly for us. WE FELL IN LOVE WITH THE CITY. If you like a place that feels like "HOME" you would too. For those who say Danville's downtown is a "Ghetto" I reccommend you get a reality check and visit Miami Beach. You have no clue what a "Ghetto" is and the "Gang" problem in Danville is just a few small minded thug wannabees. If you're not afraid of your own shadow, you'll be fine. Some of the best, most inexpensive food I ate was in that "Ghetto" area. The food all the way around is all great, as the bar is high. Again, for you complainers, leave Danville and come to Miami. Tell me the food tastes better. I dare you. As for prices,try to get a Fantastic Prime Rib dinner with all the sides and top notch service for a measly 18.00- 22.00(like we did several times in Danville) in Miami. LOL!! You'd get pressed cow anus on a moldy bun. It it would still taste like ass. Some people just feel they need the "Hustle & Bustle" of city life, whereas some of us want to get away from it. Our family will grow and thrive in danville, along with the city itself. Because as we saw first hand, Change is a Coming. Embrace it, or Run from it. I wonder what you can share about your "community" in Richmond taht's so wonderful?
Jay

Abell, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2010

Dejaview2010 wrote:
The above comments are absolute RUBBISH! After spending the past 4 days in Danville and seeing the entire city and it's suburbs (including it's supposed "Ghettoes") through the eyes of people who actually enjoy living there all I have to say is these comments above are made by people who either don't want to be a part of a TRUE community, have small minds or are just young and looking for constant stimulation via nightclubs, pop culture and non stop partying. I wonder what you can share about your "community" in Richmond taht's so wonderful?
Glad it worked for you. The place just isn't my scene and it's just plain boring. Not much places to socialize, including nightclubs. Danville don't have much of a history, other than being the cotton capital of the Confederacy. The locals there try to make it like it has a real history, though (LOL). I hated it the first day I ever set foot there, including Martinsville. Too da*n far from my hometown of VA Beach too when I visit my family every other weekend. I have worked in Danville and lived in Martinsville for a little over 2 yrs. But there is no denying that Danville, unlike Martinsville, is growing as a city and they have one of the best hospitals out there. As far as others calling Danville a ghetto city, it's not even that since it is more of a country city. You wanna see ghetto? Go to Norfolk, Richmond, Petersburg, and Newport News. Danville is not much of a ghetto compared to those VA cities that I mentioned. Gangs in Danville/Martinesville? Gimme a break! Nothing but a bunch of misguided youths trying to look and act hard. Sh*t, not too many others even heard of Danville when I mentioned to them that I was assigned there as a military recruiter. And, I can tell their school system is also substandard that most of their students can't even pass the military entrance exams (it's not rocket science, LOL). Even the students at the ghetto Thomas Jefferson High School in Richmond are much smarter than Danville, what a shame. So much for raising smart kids and quality education.
Jay

Portsmouth, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2010

Dejaview2010 wrote:
The above comments are absolute RUBBISH! After spending the past 4 days in Danville and seeing the entire city and it's suburbs (including it's supposed "Ghettoes") through the eyes of people who actually enjoy living there all I have to say is these comments above are made by people who either don't want to be a part of a TRUE community, have small minds or are just young and looking for constant stimulation via nightclubs, pop culture and non stop partying. Danville is an amazing city, full of great people, beautiful architecture, plenty to do, great schools(some of the very best programs we've ever seen), a true sense of History all around and ripe with oppurtunities to offer ANYONE who's willing to get off their rear ends and be a part of a "Community" and care about more than just themselves. The potential for Growth is almost unlimited and with the Incredible Research & Education Center being available FREE to anyone who wants to learn a trade,the forthcoming opening of the Homeland/Itech facility, more than 400 jobs will be made available and the economy (which isn't as bad as people make you think reading above) will be not only stimulated, but the downtown area will also spring back to life within the next 2 years. If you're looking for a great place to move to, raise your family, send your kids to GREAT schools (I know, I SAW with my own eyes!) and be somewhere that people know your name, wave Hello everyday and actually value friends, activism, encourage learning and growth and have the resources to offer in order to provide all of this, Danville is perfect. The houses are gorgeous and right now the housing dollar value you spend for an amzing home is UNBELIEVABLE. The HOME we found was under 400.000 and was so beautiful and in Florida is easily a 1.5 million dollar house. REGARDLESS OF NEIGHBORHOOD! But the neighborhood is sublime with tons of land and great neighbors. Don't listen to the comments above. They're obviously from peple who feel "trapped" by Danville when they probably should have just implemented the change neccessary in their lives to leave there. Not everywhere is for everyone. but Danville is certainly for us. WE FELL IN LOVE WITH THE CITY. If you like a place that feels like "HOME" you would too. For those who say Danville's downtown is a "Ghetto" I reccommend you get a reality check and visit Miami Beach. You have no clue what a "Ghetto" is and the "Gang" problem in Danville is just a few small minded thug wannabees. If you're not afraid of your own shadow, you'll be fine. Some of the best, most inexpensive food I ate was in that "Ghetto" area. The food all the way around is all great, as the bar is high. Again, for you complainers, leave Danville and come to Miami. Tell me the food tastes better. I dare you. As for prices,try to get a Fantastic Prime Rib dinner with all the sides and top notch service for a measly 18.00- 22.00(like we did several times in Danville) in Miami. LOL!! You'd get pressed cow anus on a moldy bun. It it would still taste like ass. Some people just feel they need the "Hustle & Bustle" of city life, whereas some of us want to get away from it. Our family will grow and thrive in danville, along with the city itself. Because as we saw first hand, Change is a Coming. Embrace it, or Run from it. I wonder what you can share about your "community" in Richmond taht's so wonderful?
Ever been to Richmond? If not, why don't you find out for yourself. I worked in Danville so I know my opinion of it based on myexperiences there. As far as Richmond, we got VCU as our major college. All you got is DCC and some college, which I forgot the name of it. And, the college in Danville is not even well-known. And the mall in Danville, a pure joke. You guys do not even have a music store as there are lots of them around here in Richmond. I even went to that Danville Fair and it's boring.
Jay

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2010

Not to mention, a lot of the drivers in SW VA too turn too dam* slow too. I also get a lot of weird looks from others since I dress like I am from a city, not from a rodeo. In Richmond, I am treated just like I am part of the community and I relate better to everyone there.
Jay

Abell, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2010

Dejaview2010 wrote:
Visited Miami a bunch of times and I enjoyed it there, even the food. The only food Danville and the rest SW VA is good for is BBQ. Although I have nothing against rednecks, too much redneck central for me.
Jay

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2010

Dejaview2010 wrote:
Just 4 days? You haven't seen much of it yet.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2010

We saw ALL of Danville. From the projects on the outskirts of the city, to the historic distirct, Averett College, The amazing FREE Research and education center (which you obviously missed somehow) to the beautiful inner suburbs where we chose our home and the downtown area that's just waiting to have some attention paid to it as it's ripe for rejuvenation. It's funny you mentioned how good the hospital was though, as our family is going there to not only fill a top surgeon position in the hospital itself(which will push it even further to the top of being one of the finest hositals in America for Spinal Surgery), but to also bring an enormous community outreach program to Danville to help the arts and community unite and get organized as the forthcoming change of the next 1-2 years comes into effect. I guess we just see the potential and you just see the present and past. But there's nothing wrong with "Danville Present". We saw more of it than you obviously. And just because you've had a few undereducated applicants come from the city, don't assume they represent the "whole" of Danville. There are uneductaed people everywhere. It's unfortunate what happened to Danville when the textile mills closed and the tobacco industry took a blow. But this city has worked it's tail off to stay afloat and persevere in the face of all adversity, economic depression, and the world's attacks (not to mention folks like yourself who are NOT as educated on Danville as you think you are, constantly attacking them. This is a PROUD American City, that made me feel proud to be an American while I was there. And within the next 2 years there is going to be an AMAZING change in Danville. It's sad that you're not only so closed minded and quick to pass such harsh judgement, but that you can't believe in Change and that people, places and cities in general can change with time. Danville is at the forefront of change yet no one has seen it yet. But I can tell you, and I'll tell anyone reading this... There is education in abundance for anyone who truly SEEKS IT! And as soon as Homeland/Itech opens that huge facilty and the economy gets it's much needed stimulation, all those kids getting this FREE training at that IMMACULATE facilty (we saw it. We went into it. It's REAL. Not a DREAM. Why don't you mention it? You obviously do NOT know all you think you do about Danville) will get good paying jobs and again re-stimulate the economy, which will in turn cause growth. It's small minds and small thinkers that stop a place like Danville from growing and realizing it's potential. We're happy and enthused about our move to Danville, helping the community, it's hospital's surgeon group's(an incredible bunch of dedicated specialists and human beings) spinal division jump up to the very TOP of the chain in the country simply by our presence, our new friends and neighbors(who are all incredible), the oppurtunity for all of US to live out OUR dreams in a community that is so in need of the same things we have to offer and our daughter's opurtunities to attend not only their schools but the research center as well, as they're implementing an Equestrianism program for Autistic children and she'll be able to participate in teaching and volunteer work. I think you never dug deep enough yourself Mr. Jay. I'm sorry, but I think YOU've seen the wrong Danville.
Jay

Spring Grove, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2010

Dejaview2010 wrote:
I think you never dug deep enough yourself Mr. Jay. I'm sorry, but I think YOU've seen the wrong Danville.
Well, it just didn't work out for me there. What works for one may not work for the other. Since I am not a country guy, I am happy to reside in Richmond and looking forward to returning to either Norfolk or VA Beach later this year, where I will finish out or continue my military career. I know I am harsh and abrasive in what I said but I am just being honest on how I feel about my experiences there. Just venting out for my unpleasant experience there and the way they did things I just wasn't used to. I'll take your criticism to heart. Glad you brought up Averrit College as I forgot the name for a little bit there (LOL). It's just not that well-known like the rest of the city.
But I did made some friends over in Danville and I still do keep in touch with my former co-workers despite the difficulties working there. Sometimes I had to stay in SW VA over the weekends just to save my car some mileage. How I dealt with it, I either went to Greensboro, NC or in Roanoke, VA as an escape and a way of coping. Those are the only cities beside the rest of SW VA that I really enjoyed being in since there is more to do there. Again, good luck raising your family there and I wish you the best in making the most out of Danville.
Jay

Spring Grove, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2010

Dejaview2010 wrote:
We saw ALL of Danville. From the projects on the outskirts of the city, to the historic distirct, Averett College, The amazing FREE Research and education center (which you obviously missed somehow) to the beautiful inner suburbs where we chose our home and the downtown area that's just waiting to have some attention paid to it as it's ripe for rejuvenation. It's funny you mentioned how good the hospital was though, as our family is going there to not only fill a top surgeon position in the hospital itself(which will push it even further to the top of being one of the finest hositals in America for Spinal Surgery), but to also bring an enormous community outreach program to Danville to help the arts and community unite and get organized as the forthcoming change of the next 1-2 years comes into effect. I guess we just see the potential and you just see the present and past. But there's nothing wrong with "Danville Present". We saw more of it than you obviously. And just because you've had a few undereducated applicants come from the city, don't assume they represent the "whole" of Danville. There are uneductaed people everywhere. It's unfortunate what happened to Danville when the textile mills closed and the tobacco industry took a blow. But this city has worked it's tail off to stay afloat and persevere in the face of all adversity, economic depression, and the world's attacks (not to mention folks like yourself who are NOT as educated on Danville as you think you are, constantly attacking them. This is a PROUD American City, that made me feel proud to be an American while I was there. And within the next 2 years there is going to be an AMAZING change in Danville. It's sad that you're not only so closed minded and quick to pass such harsh judgement, but that you can't believe in Change and that people, places and cities in general can change with time. Danville is at the forefront of change yet no one has seen it yet. But I can tell you, and I'll tell anyone reading this... There is education in abundance for anyone who truly SEEKS IT! And as soon as Homeland/Itech opens that huge facilty and the economy gets it's much needed stimulation, all those kids getting this FREE training at that IMMACULATE facilty (we saw it. We went into it. It's REAL. Not a DREAM. Why don't you mention it? You obviously do NOT know all you think you do about Danville) will get good paying jobs and again re-stimulate the economy, which will in turn cause growth. It's small minds and small thinkers that stop a place like Danville from growing and realizing it's potential. We're happy and enthused about our move to Danville, helping the community, it's hospital's surgeon group's(an incredible bunch of dedicated specialists and human beings) spinal division jump up to the very TOP of the chain in the country simply by our presence, our new friends and neighbors(who are all incredible), the oppurtunity for all of US to live out OUR dreams in a community that is so in need of the same things we have to offer and our daughter's opurtunities to attend not only their schools but the research center as well, as they're implementing an Equestrianism program for Autistic children and she'll be able to participate in teaching and volunteer work. I think you never dug deep enough yourself Mr. Jay. I'm sorry, but I think YOU've seen the wrong Danville.
As far as applicants taking the military entrance exams, they are either high school grads with either no college or some college, current senior high school students, college grads, or GEDs. We don't accept anyone w/o at least a hig school diploma when I recurited and GEDs are not accepted at that time. Regardless of their education, it's unbelievable that they can't even do well on those tests and they are simple arithmetic and English. I have seen more of that deficiency in Danville and SW VA than I do in Richmond.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2010

Well, you can't really blame the city then can you? As they have MORE THAN AMPLE opputunities for proper schooling, and it's all in how much research parents do and how happy they are to accept a substandard school. But there are so many schools to choose from in the Danville area I feel it's more a problem of adult/child academic choices (accepting getting by barely in a school with lower expectations, rather than choosing a better school with a higher demand as far as the grading curve)made by the parents. I know as a responsible parent I've already looked at the school system and was way beyond impressed. More parents need to be a bit more hands on these days, as the whole art of parenting has become a bit lazy. We don't just pack our daughter up and send her to any school. We research, have meetings, look at average graduation level education, and tour the facilities as well. As parents we're very active in taking time to ensure our daughter has options and oppurtunities. As most others should be doing as well. Not just send your kid to a school because it's closest to your house. That's not always the right answer, but you have to look at the options to make a proper choice between them.
Jay

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2010

Judged:

Just a note, there are tons of kids without high school diplomas today- and a lot of them aren't dumb. In this economy, the choice between spending 4 years spending 8+ unpaid hours a day at an underfunded and overcrowded public high school (not specifically Danville, just anywhere) where they don't feel they're learning any skills or tools they could use in their day to day lives and taking a GED which, if you score high enough, can give you a "high school diploma" and then going off to make money is a simple one.

Now, these kids who struggle for the 4 years and go the conventional route are more likely to go on to go to college or a career. Those who took the GED and scored poorly may be more likely to apply for the military for a multitude of reasons. But then again, kids are getting dumber all across the country anyway- so who knows?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2010

I agree Jay(from Philly). But the whole point here is to acknowledge and implement the neccessary CHANGES needed for a community's economy to grow and thrive. Instead of sitting back and pointing fingers and just saying "It's a dump" rather than being a bit more adult and giving REASONS why this person would find the area distasteful or not a good place to live, and wanting to help by being an active part of a city's transformation. I think some people can only look at things and see them as 1 dimensional and they see no future or have no dreams of change. Then there are those of us that can look at a horribly disfigured lump of clay, and within moments have a clear vision of the work of art it can and will become in our hands. I'm proud to be a part of that latter group. To me Danville is a diamond just waiting for a good old fashioned polish.
Jay

Portsmouth, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2010

John wrote:
Do more research on it before making that decision. DejaVu has his positive version and I have my own morbid version. If you like country life and are tired of the big city, then it may be for you. Depends on your taste.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Danville Discussions

Search the Danville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Dollar Mart (Jul '11) Jul 18 Clarence 2
Debate: Gay Marriage - Danville, VA (Aug '10) Jul 17 Dennis Loftis 23
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Veterans, Question 2 (Oct '10) Jul 15 Billy Bob 2,548
why did she lie Jul 13 thinking 1
common wealth home health care Jun '14 sup 1
Anthony "Tony" Donta Hayes Jun '14 Mark Raya 1
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) May '14 Nitty Gritty 1 1,356
•••
•••
•••
•••

Danville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Danville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••