Ethan Allen Interiors to close stores

Full story: NewsTimes.com 91
Ethan Allen Interiors Inc. said Thursday it will close stores in some areas as it consolidates operations. Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Dot Head

Purchase, NY

#1 Jan 11, 2008
"Consolidating"? Yeah, right. Good one Farooq.
Made in America

Purchase, NY

#2 Jan 11, 2008
Dot Head wrote:
"Consolidating"? Yeah, right. Good one Farooq.
Maybe the fact he's been selling this Chinese junk furniture for the last several years while still trying to pawn it off at the same outrageously high prices is beginning to catch up with him.
The consumer isn't THAT stupid.
Anonymous

United States

#3 Jan 11, 2008
As a former employee, I am not surprised as EA treats their employess and CUSTOMERS like crap and are probably losing tons of money, forcing this change. THAT is the reality of this
boredwithbs

Jericho, VT

#4 Jan 11, 2008
Hey! It's nice to see a local business making changes that reflect the market today and strive to serve it's customers.
Why the negativity?
Must be jealousy.
Remember Union Carbide?
Well, they are HISTORY!
Ethan Allen is a good neighbor, and I wish them well in this transition.
realist

Trumbull, CT

#5 Jan 11, 2008
Ethan Allen is failing because it is no longer an American company. Ethan Allen does not sell Quality American style furniture anymore, it sells prefabricated crap off of an assembly line.

Ethan Allen embraces a "globalist" ideal, in style and in business practices. The cache this company once held is just part of our history now.

I cherish the pieces My mother passed on to me from the '70s. Knowing that a fellow American crafted those pieces, harvested from Vermont hardwood, enscribed with his signature on them, is more meaningful that I can state.
Former EA employee

United States

#6 Feb 27, 2008
Anonymous' comments are absolutely correct. EA treats their employees very badly. They treat their customers even worse. The furniture they sell from China is awful. While I was an employee, we constantly received items that were damaged & marred. One piece actually had a footrint embedded in the laquer! I'm not surprised by this at all.
Farooq is a crook

United States

#7 Feb 27, 2008
The real crime here is that EA still has the gall to charge outlandish prices by continuing to push Bob's-quality furniture, while still trying to leverage the brand name from decades ago.

Made in America? That was gone at least 5 years ago.

Nice try Farooq - the customers are on to your charade.
Current EA Employee

Lexington, KY

#8 Feb 29, 2008
I've been with Ethan Allen over 4 years. They are closing 12 stores and opening 6 new "Design Centers" that will be for presentation only, not housing actual furniture pieces. Most people you will hear bad mouthing the company are former Sales Associates who did not make their numbers each month. As for the "Made in China" thing, that is somewhat true. They still make 70% of the furniture here, but most of the inlaid wood collections come from overseas. They still look great and have dove-tail joints and a great warranty.
ZIL

Forest City, NC

#9 Mar 4, 2008
Have you all ever been to any other furniture stores other than Ethan Allen?? You really need to go and compare EA quality to others. Get real! EA has more quality built into their pieces than most other manufacturers out there! Try and buy something from pottery barn, restoration hardware or any of the similar price point furniture. Just because it is trendy doesn't mean that it isn't still junk!
Dot Head

Purchase, NY

#10 Mar 4, 2008
ZIL wrote:
Have you all ever been to any other furniture stores other than Ethan Allen?? You really need to go and compare EA quality to others. Get real! EA has more quality built into their pieces than most other manufacturers out there! Try and buy something from pottery barn, restoration hardware or any of the similar price point furniture. Just because it is trendy doesn't mean that it isn't still junk!
Talk to some present & former EA customers, as I have - you may hear a different tune. We're not comparing it to Bob's here, but how about Thomasville, Bassett, La-Z-Boy, for starters - that comparison is a bit more accurate. I also own both EA & competitor's furniture and I can safely say that in the last 10 years alone, the EA quality has gone down substantially, while the prices continue to go up. That's Farooq's dirty little secret - leverage the brand name but water down the quality.

As for the "somewhat" true comment about China by the current EA employee, get real, and don't pawn it off to the "disgruntled employee" excuse, that's lame. I think 70% is generous. Don't believe me? Check out how many US manufacturing facilities EA has now vs., say, around 10 years ago (over 20 then, about 8 now). Think there's a trend there?
HUGOS MY DADDY

Danbury, CT

#11 Mar 4, 2008
Dot Head wrote:
um, this is a flat out racial epithet.

this post should be deleted.
ELMERS IN THE HOUSE

Purchase, NY

#12 Mar 4, 2008
HUGOS MY DADDY wrote:
<quoted text>
um, this is a flat out racial epithet.
this post should be deleted.
Now you've gone from stupid, unfunny comments to pasting other posters' names & comments to the Prejudice Police. How sad.

You were at least semi-entertaining when you started your little list -- go finish your homework instead of tattling on others, little boy :)
ITs GOOD 2 B KING

Danbury, CT

#13 Mar 4, 2008
#9 (3:32)
a crushing disappointment compared to yesterday's me-related post tally.
ELMERS IN THE HOUSE wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you've gone from stupid, unfunny comments to pasting other posters' names & comments to the Prejudice Police. How sad.
You were at least semi-entertaining when you started your little list -- go finish your homework instead of tattling on others, little boy :)
SUCKS TO BE A BORE

Purchase, NY

#14 Mar 4, 2008
ITs GOOD 2 B KING wrote:
#9 (3:32)
a crushing disappointment compared to yesterday's me-related post tally.
<quoted text>
Mailing it in today, I see? Hey, the writers' strike is over.

Your turn. Zzzzzz.
HE SEEKS MY APPROVAL

Danbury, CT

#15 Mar 4, 2008
#10 (3:59)
or was it eleven?
SUCKS TO BE A BORE wrote:
Mailing it in today, I see? Hey, the writers' strike is over.
Your turn. Zzzzzz.
HE SEEKS MIANUS

Purchase, NY

#16 Mar 4, 2008
Counting is good - debating is better.

Your responses today -- not so good.

Your banishment from the Boards until you grow up and get a life --- priceless.
YOUR NAME HERE

Purchase, NY

#17 Mar 4, 2008
SUCKS TO BE A BORE wrote:
<quoted text>
Mailing it in today, I see? Hey, the writers' strike is over.
Your turn. Zzzzzz.
Maybe he misses his friend - DAW the human laugh track.

Oops - we better STFU now - might strike a nerve
ZIL

Forest City, NC

#20 Mar 5, 2008
Dot Head wrote:
<quoted text>
Talk to some present & former EA customers, as I have - you may hear a different tune. We're not comparing it to Bob's here, but how about Thomasville, Bassett, La-Z-Boy, for starters - that comparison is a bit more accurate. I also own both EA & competitor's furniture and I can safely say that in the last 10 years alone, the EA quality has gone down substantially, while the prices continue to go up. That's Farooq's dirty little secret - leverage the brand name but water down the quality.
As for the "somewhat" true comment about China by the current EA employee, get real, and don't pawn it off to the "disgruntled employee" excuse, that's lame. I think 70% is generous. Don't believe me? Check out how many US manufacturing facilities EA has now vs., say, around 10 years ago (over 20 then, about 8 now). Think there's a trend there?
I have spoken with other current and past Ethan Allen customers/ clients. Most of which have come to Ethan Allen because of the nightmares experienced at the other retailers... namely Thomasville, Basset and The Boy. 70% is definatly a respectable amount by definition of what other retailers are importing. You talk about how the quailty has gone down in years- well isn't that the truth with all American brands! Don't just single out EA- what are Thomas, Bass and The Boy's figures i am sure that it is most likely 25%... if that. What is this dirty little secret of Farooq's that you keep speaking of if we tell consumers what percentage we are sending overseas??
Connect the Dots

Purchase, NY

#21 Mar 5, 2008
ZIL wrote:
<quoted text>
I have spoken with other current and past Ethan Allen customers/ clients. Most of which have come to Ethan Allen because of the nightmares experienced at the other retailers... namely Thomasville, Basset and The Boy. 70% is definatly a respectable amount by definition of what other retailers are importing. You talk about how the quailty has gone down in years- well isn't that the truth with all American brands! Don't just single out EA- what are Thomas, Bass and The Boy's figures i am sure that it is most likely 25%... if that. What is this dirty little secret of Farooq's that you keep speaking of if we tell consumers what percentage we are sending overseas??
Yes they have. But we're not talking about other brands in this thread, the issue is EA - and how many stores EA is closing, not Thomasville, etc.

I already said what the "dirty little secret" is - leverage the brand name by keeping prices ridiculously inflated, while lowering quality. EA has always been synonymous with quality, thus "justifying" the high prices. The dilution of the quality did not follow with a corresponding decrease in price. Kinda like paying the same price for a box of cereal that went from 32 oz. to 24 oz.

Trust me, my inside info is quite likely better than yours, 70%, putting it nicely, is B.S. Higher than others, yes (always has been). But still B.S.
ZIL

Forest City, NC

#22 Mar 5, 2008
so they have closed 12 stores and are going to re-open 8. Is 4 stores closing such a big deal??

Are the prices that ridiculously inflated? i think not- The prices are set where they stand to reflect and keep most of the product HERE, and to pay American workers a decent wage. If they lowered the prices the quailty that they try to continue would really fall off.
What is the justification for those other retailers that make junk and have higher prices than EA??
As for you inside info...i wouldn't trust it or you with a 9ft pole.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Danbury Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I'm looking for someone to who buys leftover ga... 25 min Kimberz00 1
Stalking at bus stops 23 hr concerned 1
Chinese exchange students fill empty nests Thu BrightonSA 2
Danbury man faces assault charges after ex-wife... (Feb '08) Thu Sorry BM 191
Students get safety training for off-campus living Sep 17 Community Disorga... 1
CT Who do you support for Governor in Connecticut ... (Oct '10) Sep 16 Tippy Faulker 792
Danbury works to increase police diversity Sep 14 STOMP AN ILLEGAL ... 1
•••

Danbury News Video

•••
•••

Danbury Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Danbury People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Danbury News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Danbury
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••