Thompson Sentenced to 3 Years in Fatal Drunk Driving Accident - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA Ne...

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

A Ruckersville man who pleaded guilty to a fatal drunk driving crash last October appeared in Albemarle County Circuit Court on Tuesday for sentencing.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 34 of34
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Andrew

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2011

Judged:

Justice needs to be tempered with mercy. Perusing this thread has led me to believe that many people are looking for retribution rather than justice. Three years? On the surface, that does seem lenient. That said, Thompson will now spend the rest of his life dealing with regret, shame, guilt, and extreme anger at himself. His life has been ruined. He has lost a great deal and he has to live with what he has done. What he did was reckless, stupid, selfish, and criminal. The difference between him and us is that he got caught. We've all done dumb things and have been lucky. He wasn't, and it cost someone else their life.
It does not matter what punishment Thompson gets, it won't bring back the dead. At least he stood up and owned it. Two families were devastated by one stupid act.
buyerbeware

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2011

Judged:

So many people here have said that justice was not done by so short a sentence. Why don't you folks really say what you mean...three years isn't enough REVENGE for the loss of Dan's life. You want Mr. Thompson to be PUNISHED for a longer period of time, not given a just sentence. HE WILL be punished; as long as he lives and rides (not drive) by the memorial the family/friends frequents, he will suffer. Loss of driving privileges for the rest of his life is a good start. Next would be community service, to include tending to the grave of the decedent. Instead use the money to keep him in jail longer for commmunity building projects, with Dan's name in memorium. There a lots of ways to better do "justice". And yes, I HAVE lost both family members and close friends to drunk drivers, so I do know where I'm coming from.
Cville Gordo

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2011

To "Amazed" - re: your post:

"It amazes me that you go out here and drive drunk, and kill somone and you get 3 yrs. But let someone have a joint on them, and they want to throw the book at you. Where is the justice? I bet if that had been a black man that was caught drunk driving and killed someone, he would have gotten way more years than 3. Look at that truck driver at forrest lake, he wasn't drunk and look at the time he got, plus everytime you turned 29 news on or read the paper, he was splatterd all over it, and yet this man was DRUNK driving and killed someone and you hardly heard anything about it. i feel for the family of the motorcyle driver, i ride a bike myself, and news like that scares you big time. "

I don't like this sentence any more than you do, but your point about the joint is dead wrong. You can't get 3 years in prison for possession of a small quantity of marijuana unless there are some other more serious things involved....
buyerbeware

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2011

Cville Gordo wrote:
To "Amazed" - re: your post:
"It amazes me that you go out here and drive drunk, and kill somone and you get 3 yrs. But let someone have a joint on them, and they want to throw the book at you. Where is the justice? I bet if that had been a black man that was caught drunk driving and killed someone, he would have gotten way more years than 3. Look at that truck driver at forrest lake, he wasn't drunk and look at the time he got, plus everytime you turned 29 news on or read the paper, he was splatterd all over it, and yet this man was DRUNK driving and killed someone and you hardly heard anything about it. i feel for the family of the motorcyle driver, i ride a bike myself, and news like that scares you big time. "
I don't like this sentence any more than you do, but your point about the joint is dead wrong. You can't get 3 years in prison for possession of a small quantity of marijuana unless there are some other more serious things involved....
Good call Gordo...
Chris

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2011

Andrew wrote:
Justice needs to be tempered with mercy. Perusing this thread has led me to believe that many people are looking for retribution rather than justice. Three years? On the surface, that does seem lenient. That said, Thompson will now spend the rest of his life dealing with regret, shame, guilt, and extreme anger at himself. His life has been ruined. He has lost a great deal and he has to live with what he has done. What he did was reckless, stupid, selfish, and criminal. The difference between him and us is that he got caught. We've all done dumb things and have been lucky. He wasn't, and it cost someone else their life.
It does not matter what punishment Thompson gets, it won't bring back the dead. At least he stood up and owned it. Two families were devastated by one stupid act.
I couldn't agree with you more Andrew! You re-stated what I said perfectly.
Sally Strebsky

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2011

Judged:

kidrocky wrote:
What a bunch of sanctimonious drivel.
I bet everyone of you Saints have driven drunk at least one time in your life. A very sad event but people do make mistakes and unfortunately others pay the ultimate price for that lapse of judgement.
3yrs and a lifetime of guilt seems fair.
Thank you, Kidrocky, for an intelligent comment. You did not get up on your soapbox, proclaiming yourself holier than thou, leading others to believe you have never driven drunk in your life. I've said this before: Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Every one of you moral champions who beat your chest and proclaim 3 years isn't enough--a travesty of justice--simpy are not aware of what has happened. The minimum sentence was 6 months, and he got 3 years. He had a clean record, no driving violations, no history of drunkenness. A reputable business person, a good guy. Something obviously happened to cause him to start drinking at 10:00 AM. This was NOT his normal behavior. He has brain damage that could very well last for the rest of his life. And as Kidrocky said, he will have a lifetime of guilt. Thompson will probably lose his business; his children will shun him; his entire family will walk through life, as he will, with a scarlet letter sewn on his chest. And Mrs. Neumeister will never have her husband again. This is a horrible story all the way around. Please, folks, don't take the simple route and hammer your keyboard about injustice; truly think about what happened and learn from it. Or it will be you who has a .11 BAC on Saturday night, your right tire goes off the road, you over correct, and kill a man. Peace be with the Neumeisters and the Thompsons.
Chris

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2011

Sally Strebsky wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you, Kidrocky, for an intelligent comment. You did not get up on your soapbox, proclaiming yourself holier than thou, leading others to believe you have never driven drunk in your life. I've said this before: Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Every one of you moral champions who beat your chest and proclaim 3 years isn't enough--a travesty of justice--simpy are not aware of what has happened. The minimum sentence was 6 months, and he got 3 years. He had a clean record, no driving violations, no history of drunkenness. A reputable business person, a good guy. Something obviously happened to cause him to start drinking at 10:00 AM. This was NOT his normal behavior. He has brain damage that could very well last for the rest of his life. And as Kidrocky said, he will have a lifetime of guilt. Thompson will probably lose his business; his children will shun him; his entire family will walk through life, as he will, with a scarlet letter sewn on his chest. And Mrs. Neumeister will never have her husband again. This is a horrible story all the way around. Please, folks, don't take the simple route and hammer your keyboard about injustice; truly think about what happened and learn from it. Or it will be you who has a .11 BAC on Saturday night, your right tire goes off the road, you over correct, and kill a man. Peace be with the Neumeisters and the Thompsons.
I completely agree with your statement. I once read a story similar to this in which both men were good, wholesome, beloved human beings in which one made the mistake of driving drunk and killing the other man. The family of the man killed forgave and even hugged the man who had killed their husband, son, etc. I don't think I could agree more with your comment! It was touching to me.
Debbie G

Rocky Mount, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2011

Judged:

Knowing the Thompson’s, I would like to thank many of you for your mercy. Since the first weeks after the accident Mr. Thompson’s wife has told him repeated what he did. He has NO memory. From that moment on, he has punished himself both physically and emotionally. He HAS a severe traumatic brain injury but did not what to whine about in the court room because he “killed a man.” He did NOT have hundreds of friends and family in the court room yesterday because he did NOT want to overshadow the Neumeister family. He asked friends NOT to attend in his support. Out of respect for the Neumeister family, Mr. Thompson did not want people to stand up and shout what a wonderful man he really is. Mr. Thompson is a humble man with a heart of gold that will never heal because he killed Daniel Neumeister. His family, his wife, his two teenage boys are paying a price that is unimaginable to most. They lost the father they loved on Oct 4, they lost the new father they got to know when he turned himself in to the jail 2 ˝ months before his sentencing date because he “needed to be punished.” Mr. Thompson’s family now fears what will be left of the man they loved when/if he comes home in 3 years. Medical care consists of daily medications according to the jail schedule and little more. His brain injury will be years beyond repair when he returns to his family and proper medical care. After the sentencing yesterday, his children said,“he got what he deserved.” They can not forgive their father. Retribution - does that put a price on a life. Hardly. The Thompson’s continue to pray for ALL of the Neumeisters daily. Peace to all who pray for them!
Chris

Barboursville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2011

Judged:

Debbie G wrote:
Knowing the Thompson’s, I would like to thank many of you for your mercy. Since the first weeks after the accident Mr. Thompson’s wife has told him repeated what he did. He has NO memory. From that moment on, he has punished himself both physically and emotionally. He HAS a severe traumatic brain injury but did not what to whine about in the court room because he “killed a man.” He did NOT have hundreds of friends and family in the court room yesterday because he did NOT want to overshadow the Neumeister family. He asked friends NOT to attend in his support. Out of respect for the Neumeister family, Mr. Thompson did not want people to stand up and shout what a wonderful man he really is. Mr. Thompson is a humble man with a heart of gold that will never heal because he killed Daniel Neumeister. His family, his wife, his two teenage boys are paying a price that is unimaginable to most. They lost the father they loved on Oct 4, they lost the new father they got to know when he turned himself in to the jail 2 ˝ months before his sentencing date because he “needed to be punished.” Mr. Thompson’s family now fears what will be left of the man they loved when/if he comes home in 3 years. Medical care consists of daily medications according to the jail schedule and little more. His brain injury will be years beyond repair when he returns to his family and proper medical care. After the sentencing yesterday, his children said,“he got what he deserved.” They can not forgive their father. Retribution - does that put a price on a life. Hardly. The Thompson’s continue to pray for ALL of the Neumeisters daily. Peace to all who pray for them!
Thank you for posting this Debbie. This is touching and shines a light more on what the public is not aware of. God Bless Mr. Thompson and the Neumeisters.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2011

It's not just drunk drivers, my wife was hit by a soccer mom that was texting, she tried to deny it but ntelos had the evidence. Granted, my wife wasn't seriously injured, a little faster and it could have been worse. No penalty or punishment for the texter, her insurance paid for the damage.
buyerbeware

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2011

Wayward Sun wrote:
It's not just drunk drivers, my wife was hit by a soccer mom that was texting, she tried to deny it but ntelos had the evidence. Granted, my wife wasn't seriously injured, a little faster and it could have been worse. No penalty or punishment for the texter, her insurance paid for the damage.
This opens a whole new can of worms...Whether your "old" brain doesn't process info fast enough, or you have chosen to impair that brain, or chosen to give it other tasks (texting)while driving; in all cases the driver is "impaired" and will not be at their best level of capability, and therefore should not be on the road...period. People need to realize that driving is not a spectator sport, it requires 100% of your attention. It's as simple as that. I've known Navy carrier pilots who have sid there is less stress landing their aircraft on the ship than dealing with the drive home from work, because all of the people that are part of the carrier landing are PROFESSIONALS who are focused on the job, not texting, drunk, or other wise impaired/distracted.
buyerbeware

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2011

Sorry, said not sid
keen

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2011

buyerbeware wrote:
<quoted text>This opens a whole new can of worms...Whether your "old" brain doesn't process info fast enough, or you have chosen to impair that brain, or chosen to give it other tasks (texting)while driving; in all cases the driver is "impaired" and will not be at their best level of capability, and therefore should not be on the road...period. People need to realize that driving is not a spectator sport, it requires 100% of your attention. It's as simple as that. I've known Navy carrier pilots who have sid there is less stress landing their aircraft on the ship than dealing with the drive home from work, because all of the people that are part of the carrier landing are PROFESSIONALS who are focused on the job, not texting, drunk, or other wise impaired/distracted.
I ride a motorcycle, and I promise you 100% of my attention is on riding and scanning the roadway.
buyerbeware

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2011

keen wrote:
<quoted text>
I ride a motorcycle, and I promise you 100% of my attention is on riding and scanning the roadway.
Outstanding! I wish most of the car "drivers" would do the same. I will continue to keep my eyes out for you and your brethren. Ride on!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 34 of34
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Crozet Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Crozet Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Crozet People Search