irene

Medina, NY

#1 Sep 19, 2006
I am from Rochester, NY. We know of people who moved to Nashville recently and their house with infested with brown recluse spiders, even though it had been fumigated twice. They moved back to Rochester within 3 mos. because of this. We have been looking around Fairfield Glade -- and now I am worried about this. Is this a common problem?
red

Sherrard, IL

#2 Sep 21, 2006
My folks live in FFG and have never had a problem. Have any house checked by a pest control person. And they would answer your questions about any that they have found in the area.
Linda

Mount Juliet, TN

#3 Jul 30, 2008
Brown recluse spiders are bad in Nashville in July and August. I had a problem with brown recluse and had Armaxx Pest Control treat my house. They told me to get rid of my boxes and I see very spiders now. some people say you can't kill brown recluse...Armaxx sure killed my spiders. After they treated, I swept up at least 100 dead spiders in my kichen alone.
Lyric Hart

Jamestown, TN

#4 Aug 1, 2008
Well, there's no denying the Brown Recluse is pretty common here, though I've not seen one in the last few years. I live on a 6 acre plot of heavily forrested land, so when fall rolls around, the spiders make their presence known in a big way. I mostly just hear about them. Heard a story of a woman who got bitten by one in the middle of the night at Jamestown hospital and died before anyone was the wiser, etc.

Point is, BR's are around, and people are bitten occaisionally, but it's not an epidemic or anything like that. Sorry to hear about that house infestation though. Glad they weren't bitten.
areeverywhereohn o

Crossville, TN

#5 Dec 22, 2010
ahh
Notsure

Maryville, TN

#6 Dec 22, 2010
I was bitten by a spider a couple years back. I believe it was a brown recluse. I was asleep on my couch and woke up to something bitting me on my upper thigh near my butt and I smacked at it. When I finally was fully awake I couldnt find what it was but a couple days later I had a huge swollen knot come up and I couldnt even sit down. After 5 days my family made me go to the hospital and they gave me some medicine to drain the stuff that was swelling me. After the stuff drained I had a small hole in my upper thigh. Although the hole is gone now when I rub that area I can feel a small scar from where the hole used to be. I just wish I knew for sure what kind of spider bit me.
jimbob

United States

#7 Dec 22, 2010
Notsure wrote:
I was bitten by a spider a couple years back. I believe it was a brown recluse. I was asleep on my couch and woke up to something bitting me on my upper thigh near my butt and I smacked at it. When I finally was fully awake I couldnt find what it was but a couple days later I had a huge swollen knot come up and I couldnt even sit down. After 5 days my family made me go to the hospital and they gave me some medicine to drain the stuff that was swelling me. After the stuff drained I had a small hole in my upper thigh. Although the hole is gone now when I rub that area I can feel a small scar from where the hole used to be. I just wish I knew for sure what kind of spider bit me.
Unless your ass rotted and fell off it wasn't a recluse.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#8 Dec 22, 2010
irene wrote:
I am from Rochester, NY. We know of people who moved to Nashville recently and their house with infested with brown recluse spiders, even though it had been fumigated twice. They moved back to Rochester within 3 mos. because of this. We have been looking around Fairfield Glade -- and now I am worried about this. Is this a common problem?
Now that you've settled in and met the idiots residents, you're not so worried about the spiders anymore, huh?
Notsure

Maryville, TN

#9 Dec 24, 2010
Well it didnt rot off but the area inside the whole rotted. Luckily it was just a small area.

“Don't Tread On Me!”

Since: May 11

Austin, Tx

#10 Apr 23, 2012
Brown Recluses tend to hang out in dark places like storge rooms, basements,closets, etc. When living in the South I always shook out my shoes before putting them on, wore gardening gloves when moving items in the attic & other dark areas.

You also have to be on the watch for the Black Widow Spider. I don't know if the Brown Widow has hit that area yet.

Several years ago, I was moving baby furniture out of a storage room. I was bitten on a thumb during the process, but did not feel it when it happened. After we finished moving, one of my thumbs began throbbing very badly. My night time, It had tripled in size. The pain was aweful.

I ended up in the hospital. They lanced my thumb by digging a tiny tunnel into my thumb, close to the bone. The flesh had been rotting away. Once they got all of the rotten flesh out, they put a wick in my thumb and had me keep warm compresses on it. It was one of the most painful situations I have ever experienced.

I am not in TN now; but, I put out the sticky trays especially for specific types of spiders. My sister in KY puts those traps out from the B Recluses. They are non toxic and she said they worked great. You can order them off of the internet.

Since: Apr 12

Crossville, TN

#11 Apr 24, 2012
Watched a show called "Infested" on animal planet, I think animal planet. The stick trays, and basically moving ALL of their belongings out if the house for an extended period of time worked. It was a very very old, 3 story farm house. In other words, many places to hide.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Crab Orchard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
older men have better affection 11 min Multiple Orgasms 11
Allen Mathias 16 min barbiegirl 1
leaving a bar WATCH OUT!!! 27 min Stacey Fox 1
CC Teachers get a bonus 1 hr Dr Phil 5
amps tanning 1 hr Luke 6
Recent Break -Ups 1 hr hahahaha 28
The Chop Shop (Feb '10) 1 hr hmmmmm 258
Crab Orchard Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Crab Orchard People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Crab Orchard News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Crab Orchard

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:06 am PST

Bleacher Report 5:06AM
Fantasy Football Week 16: Complete Thursday Night Preview
Bleacher Report 6:00 AM
Jaguars vs Titans: Full NFL 'Thursday Night Football' Preview and Prediction
Bleacher Report 8:00 AM
Thursday Night Football Week 16: TV Schedule, Live Stream for Titans vs. Jaguars
NBC Sports10:54 AM
Weatherspoon predicts a sweep of the "Aints"
Bleacher Report11:59 AM
Jaguars Break Their Underdog Streak