Cuban Americans In South Florida

Jan 17, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Cbs4.com

“This is going to be a big thing."Alicia Forte told CBS4. "We only suspected he was dead and Calle Ocho went crazy and hopefully all Miamians will go crazy soon.”

LITTLE HAVANA, South Floridians continue to wonder what the fate of their homeland will be. via Cbs4.com

Comments
1 - 20 of 5,863 Comments Last updated Jun 25, 2013
First Prev
of 294
Next Last
Passer by

Hollywood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jun 23, 2007
 

Judged:

2

1

1

FYI wrote:
US Census Bureau. Facts about Cuban American:
Cuban Americans have acquired an enormous amount of wealth and prosperity in an extremely short period of time; no other immigrant group has achieved this as quickly as the Cubans. Many immigrants have never achieved it at all, despite being in this country far longer than Cubans. Second-generation Cuban-Americans were more educated than even Anglo-Americans. More than 26.1% of second-generation Cuban-Americans had a bachelor's degree or better versus 20.6% of Anglos. Thus Cuban-Americans in 1997 were approximately 25% more likely to have a college degree than Anglos.
Other Hispanic groups lag far behind. Only 18.1% of South Americans had a bachelor's or better. Puerto Ricans, despite being U.S. citizens by birth, recorded a disappointing 11%; Mexicans only 7%.
In 1997, 55.1% of second-generation Cuban-Americans had an income greater than $30,000 versus 44.1% of Anglo- Americans. Thus Cuban-Americans are approximately 20% more likely to earn more than $30,000 than their Anglo-American counterparts. All other Hispanic groups lag far behind in average income.
In 1997, 36.9% of second-generation Cuban-Americans had an income greater than $50,000 versus 18.1% of Anglo- Americans. Cuban-Americans were twice as likely to earn more than $50,000. Also, approximately 11% of Cuban-Americans had incomes greater than $100,000 versus 9% of Anglo-Americans, and less than 2% of other Hispanics.
Cubans comprise less than 4% of the U.S. Hispanic population, Mexicans 65%, Puerto Ricans 10%, Central and South Americans 11%, and "others" 10%. Yet of the top 100 richest Hispanics in the U.S., more than 50% are of Cuban descent (ten times what it should be on a population basis), and 38% of Mexican descent. The rest is scattered among all other Hispanic groups.
Source: U.S. Census Bureau
Very interesting!
joker742

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jun 23, 2007
 

Judged:

4

3

2

FYI wrote:
US Census Bureau. Facts about Cuban American:
Cuban Americans have acquired an enormous amount of wealth and prosperity in an extremely short period of time; no other immigrant group has achieved this as quickly as the Cubans. Many immigrants have never achieved it at all, despite being in this country far longer than Cubans. Second-generation Cuban-Americans were more educated than even Anglo-Americans. More than 26.1% of second-generation Cuban-Americans had a bachelor's degree or better versus 20.6% of Anglos. Thus Cuban-Americans in 1997 were approximately 25% more likely to have a college degree than Anglos.
Other Hispanic groups lag far behind. Only 18.1% of South Americans had a bachelor's or better. Puerto Ricans, despite being U.S. citizens by birth, recorded a disappointing 11%; Mexicans only 7%.
In 1997, 55.1% of second-generation Cuban-Americans had an income greater than $30,000 versus 44.1% of Anglo- Americans. Thus Cuban-Americans are approximately 20% more likely to earn more than $30,000 than their Anglo-American counterparts. All other Hispanic groups lag far behind in average income.
In 1997, 36.9% of second-generation Cuban-Americans had an income greater than $50,000 versus 18.1% of Anglo- Americans. Cuban-Americans were twice as likely to earn more than $50,000. Also, approximately 11% of Cuban-Americans had incomes greater than $100,000 versus 9% of Anglo-Americans, and less than 2% of other Hispanics.
Cubans comprise less than 4% of the U.S. Hispanic population, Mexicans 65%, Puerto Ricans 10%, Central and South Americans 11%, and "others" 10%. Yet of the top 100 richest Hispanics in the U.S., more than 50% are of Cuban descent (ten times what it should be on a population basis), and 38% of Mexican descent. The rest is scattered among all other Hispanic groups.
Source: U.S. Census Bureau
Who cares.. cubans are the reason why South Florida is a tragedy. Screw you
joker742

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jun 23, 2007
 

Judged:

2

1

1

For one Im surprised you explained that in English dip sh!t.
joker742

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jun 23, 2007
 

Judged:

8

5

3

Funny thing is cubans always think they are more superior or better than someone else its truely amazing to see. You beach monkeys cant even get your kids to pass the FCAT what makes you so superior to everyone else? What you dont even teach your kids the official language of the US and expect everyone to speak your language when you wash up shore somewhere in Biscayne Bay. Not to mention the reason why Miami is the shit hole it is because of the cuban invasion. There used to be so much more in South FL but now its some third world bannana republic.
Curious George

Angier, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jun 24, 2007
 

Judged:

3

2

2

joker742 wrote:
For one Im surprised you explained that in English dip sh!t.
They did'nt! It is a "cut and paste" transfer!
We Just Dont Care

Toa Alta, Puerto Rico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jun 24, 2007
 

Judged:

4

3

2

joker742 wrote:
Funny thing is cubans always think they are more superior or better than someone else its truely amazing to see. You beach monkeys cant even get your kids to pass the FCAT what makes you so superior to everyone else? What you dont even teach your kids the official language of the US and expect everyone to speak your language when you wash up shore somewhere in Biscayne Bay. Not to mention the reason why Miami is the shit hole it is because of the cuban invasion. There used to be so much more in South FL but now its some third world bannana republic.
Joker,this time the joke is on you.You are plain wrong.We don't think we are better or superior...We just are,simple...did you get it...born loser?

“CUBA Y PUERTO RICO HERMANOS”

Since: Dec 06

San Juan,Puerto Rico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jun 24, 2007
 

Judged:

3

2

1

Curious George wrote:
<quoted text>They did'nt! It is a "cut and paste" transfer!
Cut and paste,George?You know better than that.You see again you are using lies and trying to confuse others.Now you understand why do I have to call you a clown or a Humanzee,once in a while!You can go directly to the US Census official site...if you notice it is highlighted ,in my following information.Easy George,isn't...you see once more you are using lies.I will love to hear "Openmind"'s opinion about you using lies,to confuse others!I believe this time even O.M,will be feeling ashamed of you!"Religious" men are not suppose to lie,shameful...just shameful,you "!Your Holiness".

US Census Bureau. Facts about Cuban Americans

Organizacion Autentica US Census Bureau. Facts about Cuban American:
Cuban Americans have acquired an enormous amount of wealth and prosperity in an extremely short period of time; no other immigrant group has achieved this as quickly as the Cubans. Many immigrants have never achieved it at all, despite being in this country far longer than Cubans.

Second-generation Cuban-Americans were more educated than even Anglo-Americans. More than 26.1% of second-generation Cuban-Americans had a bachelor's degree or better versus 20.6% of Anglos. Thus Cuban-Americans in 1997 were approximately 25% more likely to have a college degree than Anglos.

Other Hispanic groups lag far behind. Only 18.1% of South Americans had a bachelor's or better. Puerto Ricans, despite being U.S. citizens by birth, recorded a disappointing 11%; Mexicans only 7%.

In 1997, 55.1% of second-generation Cuban-Americans had an income greater than $30,000 versus 44.1% of Anglo- Americans. Thus Cuban-Americans are approximately 20% more likely to earn more than $30,000 than their Anglo-American counterparts. All other Hispanic groups lag far behind in average income.

In 1997, 36.9% of second-generation Cuban-Americans had an income greater than $50,000 versus 18.1% of Anglo- Americans. Cuban-Americans were twice as likely to earn more than $50,000. Also, approximately 11% of Cuban-Americans had incomes greater than $100,000 versus 9% of Anglo-Americans, and less than 2% of other Hispanics.

Cubans comprise less than 4% of the U.S. Hispanic population, Mexicans 65%, Puerto Ricans 10%, Central and South Americans 11%, and "others" 10%. Yet of the top 100 richest Hispanics in the U.S., more than 50% are of Cuban descent (ten times what it should be on a population basis), and 38% of Mexican descent. The rest is scattered among all other Hispanic groups.

Source: U.S. Census Bureau

joker742

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jun 24, 2007
 

Judged:

3

3

2

We Just Dont Care wrote:
<quoted text>
Joker,this time the joke is on you.You are plain wrong.We don't think we are better or superior...We just are,simple...did you get it...born loser?
Oh here we go again.. once again you island shit monkeys think you are far more superior than your peers. What a waste of time you are along with the cubans. If you want to prove yourself so superior than everyone else do us a favor and get a green card or at least learn the english language because as of now you buddy are on America's shit list.

“CUBA Y PUERTO RICO HERMANOS”

Since: Dec 06

San Juan,Puerto Rico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jun 24, 2007
 

Judged:

1

1

1

joker742 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh here we go again.. once again you island shit monkeys think you are far more superior than your peers. What a waste of time you are along with the cubans. If you want to prove yourself so superior than everyone else do us a favor and get a green card or at least learn the english language because as of now you buddy are on America's shit list.
You know what "joker"(good screen name ,you are a joke),"we just don't care",what you believe about us!

“CUBA Y PUERTO RICO HERMANOS”

Since: Dec 06

San Juan,Puerto Rico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jun 24, 2007
 

Judged:

1

1

1

American shit list!
1)The joker 742
2)The joker 742
3)The Joker 742..........

Since: Jun 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jun 24, 2007
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Why is this on a medical/Diverticulitis thread?

Is there no moderator here?

There people who use this post/forum for legit posting of info that pertains to the subject.
I do care

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jul 2, 2007
 

Judged:

5

4

1

It's so sad to see that the United States has hardly progressed since the Civil Rights movement.

I am an American of Cuban descent. Like every Cuban American I know, I speak English and Spanish fluently. In fact, many of us speak a third or fourth language.

Almost every Cuban American I know has some form of college education, my family being the prime example.

I live in Miami. It happens to be a wonderful place to live. The education I'm getting is one of the best world wide.(Look up the IB curriculum.) It seems as though the schools that fail to teach their children to read are in the ghetto, all filled with different races, not just Hispanics. I'd like to add that this problem is one of funding and curriculum, not of race, gender, or ethnicity. One of the valedictorians at a local high school came from Cuba only a few years before.

So honestly, I'd say that joker is just trolling.

Since: Feb 07

Miami-The Magic City

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jul 3, 2007
 
Curious George wrote:
<quoted text>They did'nt! It is a "cut and paste" transfer!
You really are a piece of work.....

Since: Feb 07

Miami-The Magic City

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jul 3, 2007
 

Judged:

1

1

1

joker742 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh here we go again.. once again you island shit monkeys think you are far more superior than your peers. What a waste of time you are along with the cubans. If you want to prove yourself so superior than everyone else do us a favor and get a green card or at least learn the english language because as of now you buddy are on America's shit list.
No, just your meaningless redneck list which has no value.
Curious George

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jul 3, 2007
 

Judged:

2

2

1

LIGER OMNI POTENT wrote:
<quoted text>
yOU ARE RIGHT .! aLTHOUGH HE DOES NOT BELIEVE THAT HIMSELF,M & IT REALLY ANOYS HIM THAT CUBANS ARE AMORE SUCCESSFUL & EDUCATED THAN OTHER GROUPS.
Take a look at this post, educated persons, and then decide who is "more successful and educated than other groups.". And this guy even has to SHOUT it. Duh!

“CUBA Y PUERTO RICO HERMANOS”

Since: Dec 06

San Juan,Puerto Rico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Jul 3, 2007
 

Judged:

2

2

1

I do care wrote:
It's so sad to see that the United States has hardly progressed since the Civil Rights movement.
I am an American of Cuban descent. Like every Cuban American I know, I speak English and Spanish fluently. In fact, many of us speak a third or fourth language.
Almost every Cuban American I know has some form of college education, my family being the prime example.
I live in Miami. It happens to be a wonderful place to live. The education I'm getting is one of the best world wide.(Look up the IB curriculum.) It seems as though the schools that fail to teach their children to read are in the ghetto, all filled with different races, not just Hispanics. I'd like to add that this problem is one of funding and curriculum, not of race, gender, or ethnicity. One of the valedictorians at a local high school came from Cuba only a few years before.
So honestly, I'd say that joker is just trolling.
A "Joker" will always be a..."Joker".They happen to be funny characters all of the times!

“CUBA Y PUERTO RICO HERMANOS”

Since: Dec 06

San Juan,Puerto Rico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Jul 3, 2007
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Curious George wrote:
<quoted text>Take a look at this post, educated persons, and then decide who is "more successful and educated than other groups.". And this guy even has to SHOUT it. Duh!
We don't decided it George.It is the U.S Census facts..what can we do about it?It is not our fault,don't you believe George?
Lcubano

Odessa, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Jul 3, 2007
 

Judged:

2

2

2

i came to this country when i was 1yr old.
i grew up in atlanta ga primarily with americans.
not in miami.
but as soon as i entered my home, i was in CUBA.
that is why i grew up to be pretty succssful. i am also a retired veteran (20 years).
i currently live in south tx.rampant poverty with 10th generation immigrants.i'm not gloating ,this is what i see.
the culture in cubans is special (to me anyway)
it explains our success.
as we all know...there was an hundred year old church in havana when the pilgrems landed on plymouth rock
Curious George

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
Jul 3, 2007
 

Judged:

3

2

1

WE JUST DONT CARE wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't decided it George.It is the U.S Census facts..what can we do about it?It is not our fault,don't you believe George?
"False pride goeth before a great fall" "The meek shall inherit the earth!" Guess who this leaves out??????

“CUBA Y PUERTO RICO HERMANOS”

Since: Dec 06

San Juan,Puerto Rico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26
Jul 3, 2007
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Lcubano wrote:
i came to this country when i was 1yr old.
i grew up in atlanta ga primarily with americans.
not in miami.
but as soon as i entered my home, i was in CUBA.
that is why i grew up to be pretty succssful. i am also a retired veteran (20 years).
i currently live in south tx.rampant poverty with 10th generation immigrants.i'm not gloating ,this is what i see.
the culture in cubans is special (to me anyway)
it explains our success.
as we all know...there was an hundred year old church in havana when the pilgrems landed on plymouth rock
Very true,our culture is special,that is why we had being successfuls in every country we have live.It also happened to my daughter that wasn't even born in Cuba,after two days in Cuba(In my last trip to Cuba I took her with me,and it was her first time in Cuba)while watching huge Cuba flag ,teras came from her eyes..I was worry to see her like that,and I asked her,what was happening to her,that why was she crying.?She then look at me and proudly said"Papi, my tears are of joy,I feel I'm a Cuban too"That has been my happiest day in live,I felt very proud about us!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 294
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Coral Gables Forum right now

Search the Coral Gables Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Victim Dies In Krome Avenue Accident (Mar '07) 5 hr NOTACHICKEN 3
Corrupt Cuban politicians bankrupt Miami (Aug '12) 6 hr Miami minority 23
1 dead in Little Haiti house fire 9 hr WE JUST DONT CARE 3
Obama `Effective Messenger, Period:' DNC Chair 10 hr wild child 2
Jihad People Leave = We Dont Belive In Murder F... 11 hr Your With Satan 1
the real adam the macho lifeguard 12 hr BigBill 10
Military Veteran, Sgt. Frank Beckles, honored a... 15 hr kellop 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Coral Gables Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Coral Gables People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Coral Gables News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Coral Gables
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••