It's Pow Wow time in Cookeville!!!!

Posted in the Cookeville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Indigenous Intertribal

Cookeville, TN

#1 Sep 28, 2012
What: Cumberland Plateau 11th Annual Pow Wow, hosted by Indigenous Intertribal Corp.

When: Saturday and Sunday, October 6th and 7th
Gates open at 9am

Where: Putnam County Fairgrounds

Come see traditional Native dancers, representing many different cultures and Native nations. Lots of exhibition dancing and also social dancing where everyone is welcome in the circle. Two pow wow drums, MeMe'z Boyz and Red Tail Thunder. Live flute music. Lots of vendors with Native crafts and foods. Fun and educational for the whole family. Lots of events going on all day long, both days.

Bring chairs or something to sit on, and stay all day.

Joke

Cookeville, TN

#2 Sep 28, 2012
Those are such a joke...bunch of white dudes who think they are 'native' because they're parents' parents knew some native americans...and they are still pissed about getting their land taken from them...such a shame.
redbone

United States

#3 Sep 28, 2012
Yep this has nothing to do with native americans from this region. Its a traveling show that goes all over putting on these "pow wows". Nothing more than a circus exploiting the native american traditions.

Buyer beware.
white trash

Cookeville, TN

#4 Sep 28, 2012
local indian are white trash as well as most area bikers with a jacket in my opinion>most are adults with no education and many are welfare
just me

United States

#5 Sep 28, 2012
white trash ur a idiot!! I know all kinds of bikers and they are not on welfare.most have great jobs.some even work for the federal government.find some1 else 2 bash di@~ head! And fyi...the are very educated
lester the molester

United States

#6 Sep 28, 2012
White trash was talking about real bikers. Not the guys who ride their hondas on Saturday morning to get a cup of coffee.
Indigenous Intertribal

Cookeville, TN

#7 Sep 29, 2012
redbone wrote:
Yep this has nothing to do with native americans from this region. Its a traveling show that goes all over putting on these "pow wows". Nothing more than a circus exploiting the native american traditions.
Buyer beware.
Just to verify, Indigenous Intertribal Corp is a locally established, state registered, 501c3 non-profit entity that operates soley in the Cookeville area. Founded by the late Tommy Ray "Spotted Calf" Veal, the board is comprised of mostly carded Native Americans of federally recognized tribes. This year's event is our 11th annual. We are focused on providing education about true Native American cultures and history, and are working to construct a Native American cultural center in this area.

We are not a "traveling show" and this event is the only pow wow IIC hosts all year long. Members of IIC do attend other legitimate area pow wows, such as Crossville, Clarksville, Mt. Juliet, and ones in other states, but do so merely for fun and recreation and not as a hosting body of said event.
jimmy

United States

#8 Sep 29, 2012
Calf veal? Who the fuk you think you're kidding?
Michael Veal

Statesville, NC

#9 Sep 30, 2012
Yes, Veal. It is my last name. Just as it was my father's before me. What is it about my last name that offends you?
Snotfart

Tullahoma, TN

#10 Sep 30, 2012
Michael Veal wrote:
Yes, Veal. It is my last name. Just as it was my father's before me. What is it about my last name that offends you?
Don't let little Jimmy bother you. He probably has a last name that has been disgraced around Cookeville -- like Beason, Gore, etc.
just me

United States

#11 Oct 1, 2012
lester the molester wrote:
White trash was talking about real bikers. Not the guys who ride their hondas on Saturday morning to get a cup of coffee.
the bikers i know dont ride hondas fyi...harleys all the way guy! And its not for a cup of coffee.we do benefit rides for alot of people. Maybe you should come to the boondox the next time we do a ride and then you can talk shit to them in person.
redtop

United States

#12 Oct 2, 2012
You "bikers" need to go to Atlanta or miami and talk to some 1%ers. You pansies only think you're bikers. My uncle was in the Mongols MC. He ate toy drive" bikers" for breakfast and sh!t out their clothes.
howdy

Cookeville, TN

#13 Oct 2, 2012
Indigenous Intertribal wrote:
What: Cumberland Plateau 11th Annual Pow Wow, hosted by Indigenous Intertribal Corp.
When: Saturday and Sunday, October 6th and 7th
Gates open at 9am
Where: Putnam County Fairgrounds
Come see traditional Native dancers, representing many different cultures and Native nations. Lots of exhibition dancing and also social dancing where everyone is welcome in the circle. Two pow wow drums, MeMe'z Boyz and Red Tail Thunder. Live flute music. Lots of vendors with Native crafts and foods. Fun and educational for the whole family. Lots of events going on all day long, both days.
Bring chairs or something to sit on, and stay all day.
How many vendors are coming? What kind of food will there be?
Indigenous Intertribal

Cookeville, TN

#14 Oct 2, 2012
howdy wrote:
<quoted text>How many vendors are coming? What kind of food will there be?
The last count I received on vendors was around 20, with some still in negotiation for spaces.

The main food vendor will be serving buffalo burgers, frybread, and some other Native dishes.
ronald mcdonald

United States

#15 Oct 2, 2012
Buffalo burgers? Yeah I'm sure native americans ate burgers. How authenic.
Indigenous Intertribal

Cookeville, TN

#17 Oct 3, 2012
It's more convenient than dragging around buffalo roasts, wouldn't you think? The overall idea is to have buffalo meat available in a form that someone who has never tried it can do so. If someone is opposed to a burger as not being "authentic" Native American food, there will still be other traditional things on the menu. The vendor will be selling soda and bottled water, too. Folks gotta have something to drink and it is 2012.

And you're speaking as if we are extinct, by using the past tense form. We're still here, friend! I can guarantee you, if our ancestors had had access to a big juicy burger with all the trimmings and an ice cold Coke, they would have loved it.:-)
Heritage

Cookeville, TN

#18 Oct 3, 2012
Loved it last year. Can't wait. Excited to hear the "education about true Native American cultures and history".

Will there be any genealogy/how to information available?
popsicle

Cookeville, TN

#19 Oct 3, 2012
I went a few years ago and it was really good. Last year, though, it just wasn't as good. There were not as many vendors food or otherwise. I liked it better when spectators could watch from the stands. Last year, it was in a field and you had to sit on the ground or stand.
Indigenous Intertribal

Cookeville, TN

#20 Oct 3, 2012
Heritage wrote:
Loved it last year. Can't wait. Excited to hear the "education about true Native American cultures and history".
Will there be any genealogy/how to information available?
Glad you've been before and enjoyed it.:-)

There won't be any official genealogy tables or tutorials, but I am an avid genealogy researcher myself and would be happy to answer any questions on methods I have used in my own family research. My name is Lisa Veal, and I'll be there all weekend. I'm not dancing this year due to a knee injury, but won't be hard to find. The Arena Director or any member of the powwow committee can point me out.
Indigenous Intertribal

Cookeville, TN

#21 Oct 3, 2012
popsicle wrote:
I went a few years ago and it was really good. Last year, though, it just wasn't as good. There were not as many vendors food or otherwise. I liked it better when spectators could watch from the stands. Last year, it was in a field and you had to sit on the ground or stand.
I'm sorry for your bad experience. Vendors do tend to fluctuate and sometimes do have to drop out for various reasons and can't come after they have made plans to be there. That, of course, is out of our control.

We did decide to move the circle down out of the grandstands area as it has provided us with much more room and made for a better dancing surface than the mud. Sadly, there is no seating there, but that's why we ask folks to bring chairs or blankets to sit on. There are some benches around the various cook booths that folks can sit on, as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cookeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vote No to Amendment 1 is a Very Bad Bill that ... 1 hr Cinshine 64
Mr. Wayne has cancer. Anyone know what kind, ho... 7 hr concerned stylist 1
veronica richards (Apr '13) 8 hr kirsten 53
tonya kelsey (Aug '13) 9 hr nlm 7
Vote YES on 1 9 hr answer 5
7 days consecutive work? Isn't that illegal? (Apr '11) 10 hr Bone 362
RAH health care 17 hr Bible 14
Cookeville Dating
Find my Match

Cookeville Jobs

Cookeville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Cookeville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Cookeville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]