3 to bid on five of state's prisons | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

Ohio taxpayers now know who wants to buy five state prisons, but they won't find out what kind of a deal they're getting until it's done.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 32 of32
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
bowwow

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2011

Judged:

How does privatization save the taxpayer? The taxpayers are still paying the costs per prisoner. Only now we have it done for profit. These means lower wages and less benefits for the workers and in some cases qualifies them for state assistance and the profits go to out of state companies. What a drain to Ohio. As far as transparency regarding your tax dollars, good luck requesting information.
state employee

Chillicothe, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2011

Judged:

The reason why they will be leased is the prison was build from bonds and the state has not paid off those bonds yet. Kasich also scratched out the line in the budget the stated that if the prisons were to be sold again the state would have first option to buy them back but even though the house and senate agreed to that Kasich used his veto power and scratched that part out.
WatchOut wrote:
Let's see the numbers about how this move will save the State 6.6 million. Were the lower wages that will be paid to the private operator's employees factored into this calculation (lower wages = lower state income tax payments).
Word on the street in Marion is that the private operators will not [purchase the properties here but will lease them...so no local property tax revenue. Guess we will just have to wait to see what happens.
bowwow

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2011

Judged:

Currahee3506 wrote:
It would appear that the Gov. has 18 political hacks coming in and marking every post with a spam, clueless or nuts.
He must be a little touchy about this whole thing.
They must have a laptop on the bus.
state employee

Chillicothe, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2011

Judged:

There will be a hidden cost to the taxpayers. The state will still pay for part of those prisons. Inmates receive what is called state pay. The state will continue to pay for that. That is appoximately 30,000 a month.
bowwow wrote:
How does privatization save the taxpayer? The taxpayers are still paying the costs per prisoner. Only now we have it done for profit. These means lower wages and less benefits for the workers and in some cases qualifies them for state assistance and the profits go to out of state companies. What a drain to Ohio. As far as transparency regarding your tax dollars, good luck requesting information.
Blinded-By-The-R ight

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2011

Judged:

Currahee3506 wrote:
It would appear that the Gov. has 18 political hacks coming in and marking every post with a spam, clueless or nuts.
He must be a little touchy about this whole thing.
I am Glad that you Posted this! I was wondering the same thing! I believe that some one has "HACKED" into TOPIX and can Alter the "Judge It!"

I feel that many of the Above POSTS are Against the "Privatize" the Prisons, Also beware and Complain as much as you can when they Go to Sell Ohio Lottery, and State Liquor Stores!
Blinded-By-The-R ight

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2011

Judged:

state employee wrote:
The reason why they will be leased is the prison was build from bonds and the state has not paid off those bonds yet. Kasich also scratched out the line in the budget the stated that if the prisons were to be sold again the state would have first option to buy them back but even though the house and senate agreed to that Kasich used his veto power and scratched that part out.
<quoted text>
Thanks for saying that about Kasich "Line Item Veto!"

When did a Governor get the "Right" to a "Line Item Veto?" I strongly remember that the USSC, had struck that down as Unconstitutional!

Since: Nov 09

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2011

Gerald Waugh wrote:
Lets see ... " New property and income tax revenue .... " well its the same property so how is it new ..... and if the employees that will be working there are making alot less than State employees, how does generate more income tax revenue ? Not to mention they are selling for alot less than the cost to build them. Guess its like a new car ... soon as you drive off its worth 10000.00 less than paid for. And anyone who has worked around inmates know they are just waiting for someone who makes less than what the State paid ..... they will help in making up the pay difference .... and that will be a whole new problem for the State. Maybe someone should ask a real question .... who pays up when we lose one of these private prisons in a riot ? In my summation .... I have one word for uncle john ...IMPEACH !!
Well I know of at least 40 people who have bought into uncle johns silly ideas !
And why isnt the dispatch writing stories on the increase in staff assualts ... inmate assualts ... and issues in the prisons ?
Ohio298

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2011

Judged:

I have heard that no one offered to buy the prisons, only manage them. They only have to show that they can run the prisons for 5% less than the state of Ohio. They could have easily cut the prison budget that much in various areas without putting 500 people on unemployment. Where is the savings? This is just a way for John Kasich to get rid of as many state workers as possible. Let's see how this works out for you. Good luck to the communities near these privately run prisons.

Since: Nov 09

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2011

Judged:

Ohio298 wrote:
I have heard that no one offered to buy the prisons, only manage them. They only have to show that they can run the prisons for 5% less than the state of Ohio. They could have easily cut the prison budget that much in various areas without putting 500 people on unemployment. Where is the savings? This is just a way for John Kasich to get rid of as many state workers as possible. Let's see how this works out for you. Good luck to the communities near these privately run prisons.
All you have to do is ask who picks up all medical expenses of the inmates under the care of a private run company and you will see where they save a big portion of the cost they tout: WE the TAX PAYERS still PAY for thier MEDICAL COST.... and they get no generic medicines ....like I have to get ....
Willougby

Jackson, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

This is a money maker for the Director and the Govenor. Check out the Prison Inspection Committee report which is posted on the internet. Due to such poor management CCI and PCI are off the hook. They are supposed to save money but they are paying overtime like crazy because they don't want to hire new staff which would be cheaper. The Director is double dipping. Already getting retirement and now still drawing big bucks and will make money when they privatize the prison system. That doesn't work either. Check out how much inmates have sued due to the poor medical care. They just pay those poor families off. They are so secretive in what they do. I wonder how many lawsuits they have lost to inmates and to employees that have been walked out but the staff didn't have enough evidence to prove the staff member was guilty. They pay them big bucks for just hiding things. There is no accountability for any staff unless you are a officer or frontline worker. Look recently they had a Warden in trouble in Lebanon. They should of fired him for his screw up but that didn't happen. He is still employed by the State. All that money spent on an investigation. It just keeps suprising me at what goes on in Politics today. These people act like they are crazy with all the power and control issues they have. Just terrible
Anonymous

Jackson, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Ed Wood wrote:
Now let's hear about these 3 companies ties to Kasich & co. I hope that Kasich eventually get an extended stay at one of these fine facilities.
In the Columbus Dispatch there is an article about the Wardens getting a raise last January. Gary Mohr stated that the Wardens would be responsible and accountable for imates coming back into the prison. The raises cost 248,000 tax payer dollars. It would be interesting to see how much the Warden's are actually saving the State. Who is tracking this infomation and where are the statistics. The frontline staff has not had raises for six years. I think it would also be interesting to see time sheets. All employees and pick up keys so the keys would be signed out to the Wardens I think don't think they are putting in 60 hours a week. Who is monitoring all of the information? Maybe they wouldn't have to close prisons if there was some accountability. I would like to see this information in the Dispatch and I think these people need to be accountable to the tax payers. They still have interest in the company for privatization. If I remember right the union is suing because of a conflict of interest. I believe I read that in the paper as well.
wow

Parkersburg, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2012

Let me add an interestng point here... Why areour prisons overcrowded andcostly in thefirst place? See the state of Ohio pays each county $78,000 for the delivery of a convicticted felon to a prison.$38,000 for a small time crook who stays in te county jail for 30 dys... Thus creating HEDGE hunt, so the local judicial system can recieve enough money to contnue. This goes on nation wide and explains wrongfull convictions and over crowded prisons.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 32 of32
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Conneaut Discussions

Search the Conneaut Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Secretary of State in Oh... (Oct '10) 8 hr Vote out every incumbent 169
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 23 hr ha ha 25,331
OH Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in O... (Oct '10) Apr 15 squid 118
OH Who do you support for Treasurer in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Apr 14 Repub 187
Josh Million, a murderer? Apr 7 Friend of both families 57
ashtabula dog stabbed and recovering as justin ... Mar 27 HOMMES DOG STABBING IS 2
looking for a 63-64 impala project Mar 22 project 1
•••
•••
•••
Conneaut Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Conneaut Jobs

•••
•••
•••