Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil Unions

Nov 30, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: CBS2

The Illinois House has approved a measure to legalize civil unions for same-sex couples.

Comments
28,941 - 28,960 of 49,490 Comments Last updated 15 min ago

“saved From jesus”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#33572 May 26, 2012
robot chicken wrote:
<quoted text>Get help
Practice what you preach, xtian.

“saved From jesus”

Location hidden

#33573 May 26, 2012
TXgurl wrote:
<quoted text>
Proverbs 16:5
Everyone who is arrogant in heart is an abomination to the Lord; be assured, he will not go unpunished.
Proverbs 11:2
When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with the humble is wisdom.
James 4:6
But he gives more grace. Therefore it says,“God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”
Philippians 2:3
Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.
Romans 12:16
Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight.
1 Timothy 6:4
He is puffed up with conceit and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy craving for controversy and for quarrels about words, which produce envy, dissension, slander, evil suspicions,
Proverbs 11:12
Whoever belittles his neighbor lacks sense, but a man of understanding remains silent.
Proverbs 21:24
“Scoffer” is the name of the arrogant, haughty man who acts with arrogant pride.
This doesn't apply to them, only everyone else, because they are on a special holy mission. It doesn't count for the "special" ones.

“Free your mind”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#33574 May 26, 2012
Knowledge wrote:
<quoted text>
You do read your Bible, I am impressed.:)
I have studied the bible for many years. I am one of those who searched and searched for the right church to go to, but I could not be part of any of them because I saw their actions, and I saw what the bible said, and it didn't match up... I refuse to associate with a bunch of hypocrites. Churches will preach a belief, and right there, in plain sight in the bible, it will say the opposite, and if you tell anyone they get angry and say you are trying to kill their beliefs... to me, if you are going to believe in the bible, you need to follow EVERY part of it. "Angels" is obviously prideful and arrogant, and that needed to be pointed out with bible verses to them. Obviously people just talking to them was not working. People need to take it upon themselves to understand things, and not just go by what a preacher says. Following blindly is a very dangerous thing. In my eyes, just because something is a "tradition" does not make it true.

I have become sort of hardened against religion because of my experiences. I believe in the possibility of a god or of many gods, but I cannot follow blindly because I have seen the consequences of that, so I am happy being agnostic. Maybe one day the truth will be revealed to me... but until then I will not falsely follow something that I cannot put faith into.

“Free your mind”

Location hidden

#33575 May 26, 2012
Religionthebiglie wrote:
<quoted text>
This doesn't apply to them, only everyone else, because they are on a special holy mission. It doesn't count for the "special" ones.
I am so sick of the hypocrites... it is people like "Angels" that made me realize that MOST of Christianity was nothing but hypocrites and only following that belief because that is what mommy and daddy and Mr. preacher man told them to believe. They have absolutely no knowledge of the bible, but preach it as if they had read it from cover to cover a thousand times. All they spew is what they have heard a preacher say, and they take everything that the preacher says as cold hard fact and accept it without even looking for themselves. Makes me sick.
Knowledge

Enfield, IL

#33576 May 26, 2012
TXgurl wrote:
<quoted text>
I have studied the bible for many years. I am one of those who searched and searched for the right church to go to, but I could not be part of any of them because I saw their actions, and I saw what the bible said, and it didn't match up... I refuse to associate with a bunch of hypocrites. Churches will preach a belief, and right there, in plain sight in the bible, it will say the opposite, and if you tell anyone they get angry and say you are trying to kill their beliefs... to me, if you are going to believe in the bible, you need to follow EVERY part of it. "Angels" is obviously prideful and arrogant, and that needed to be pointed out with bible verses to them. Obviously people just talking to them was not working. People need to take it upon themselves to understand things, and not just go by what a preacher says. Following blindly is a very dangerous thing. In my eyes, just because something is a "tradition" does not make it true.
I have become sort of hardened against religion because of my experiences. I believe in the possibility of a god or of many gods, but I cannot follow blindly because I have seen the consequences of that, so I am happy being agnostic. Maybe one day the truth will be revealed to me... but until then I will not falsely follow something that I cannot put faith into.
You have to remember Tx Gurl I have been following for a long time. You told my nephew of your bad experiences. Most people do have bad experiences when you see people in your own church not getting along. LOL It is a sad thing, but you and I know it goes on in some of the churches. I can only tell you to put your trust in no man, read the Bible for yourself and let God lead you, not people. We are all in this world for a purpose, and it is up to each and everyone one of us to figure out what that purpose is. You are right not to go in something blindly, everyone has to search their own soul. People will always let you down, but God's word prevails. Like you said, read the Bible yourself, and what others do, you just keep reading and searching for yourself. When you see other people say or do something that doesn't add up to what you read, you know they didn't get it. Sometimes you just have to smile and just go on. If you read God's word, He will never leave you, if you ask He will show you, when the right time comes. You have just had some bad things to happen to you, now you are a little wiser.LOL We all have that happen in our lives, at some time or another.Just remember put your faith in no man, they will fail you every time... Keep searching, you won't be sorry.:)
Mona Lott

Hoboken, NJ

#33577 May 26, 2012
Knowledge wrote:
<quoted text>
You have to remember Tx Gurl I have been following for a long time. You told my nephew of your bad experiences. Most people do have bad experiences when you see people in your own church not getting along. LOL It is a sad thing, but you and I know it goes on in some of the churches. I can only tell you to put your trust in no man, read the Bible for yourself and let God lead you, not people. We are all in this world for a purpose, and it is up to each and everyone one of us to figure out what that purpose is. You are right not to go in something blindly, everyone has to search their own soul. People will always let you down, but God's word prevails. Like you said, read the Bible yourself, and what others do, you just keep reading and searching for yourself. When you see other people say or do something that doesn't add up to what you read, you know they didn't get it. Sometimes you just have to smile and just go on. If you read God's word, He will never leave you, if you ask He will show you, when the right time comes. You have just had some bad things to happen to you, now you are a little wiser.LOL We all have that happen in our lives, at some time or another.Just remember put your faith in no man, they will fail you every time... Keep searching, you won't be sorry.:)
Gee..... burnt-out on real people so you have to make up an imaginary friend? How sad.
Knowledge

Enfield, IL

#33578 May 26, 2012
Religionthebiglie wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong, LOL it applies to all. I know you don't believe, but in the Christian world, God is no respecter of persons. No one is better than the other. His commandment applies to all, no exceptions, we are all just human, and mess up from time to time. So we ask for forgiveness , pick our selves up and start all over again. LOL No one is perfect, but you know that. Unfortunatly some people believe they are better than others, in all walks of life.LOL Have a good day!
Knowledge

Enfield, IL

#33579 May 26, 2012
Mona Lott wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee..... burnt-out on real people so you have to make up an imaginary friend? How sad.
Were you born arrogant or what? You are a mean person, what is your deal? I tried to be nice, but you are now being just a jerk. I don't agree with your lifestyle, you don't agree with mine. So, get a life and get over it. You might end up being my next door neighbor, or your car might blow up and you might be stuck in the middle of nowhere. Now wouldn't it be something if I had to pick you up? You might just like me, and never know who I am. Stop the childish bully crap, I am on here, I am not going away. I love you no matter what you say. I might tell you off, here and there, but I kinda think you like it weird way.LOL Go pick on somebody else, I am to tired to deal with you today. So, you Sir, have a safe and good Memorial Weekend!

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#33581 May 26, 2012
TXgurl wrote:
<quoted text>
I am so sick of the hypocrites... it is people like "Angels" that made me realize that MOST of Christianity was nothing but hypocrites and only following that belief because that is what mommy and daddy and Mr. preacher man told them to believe. They have absolutely no knowledge of the bible, but preach it as if they had read it from cover to cover a thousand times. All they spew is what they have heard a preacher say, and they take everything that the preacher says as cold hard fact and accept it without even looking for themselves. Makes me sick.
Just some thoughts;

The only people I know who are not hypocrites have set the bar so low even a snake can go over it. Where is your bar set, or are you a hypocrite too?

If the bar is set at perfection, can you make it? The Bible says we are ALL broken. How could a broken person ever make perfection?

If people are trying to know God, a Being who claims to have created this universe (and maybe more), why are you disappointed they struggle? How do you know YOU know Him correctly? Are you, or anyone, capable of knowing God perfectly?

But you talk about 'faith'. Does that not require you trusting something beyond what you know? If you know it to be a fact, faith is not necessary.

Just some things to thing about.

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

#33582 May 26, 2012
Knowledge wrote:
<quoted text>
Were you born arrogant or what? You are a mean person, what is your deal? I tried to be nice, but you are now being just a jerk. I don't agree with your lifestyle, you don't agree with mine. So, get a life and get over it......
That's the problem.

While being a Christian IS a lifestyle, being gay is not.

So you really have NOOOO idea what her lifestyle may be.

Pretending otherwise doesn't really make you a nice person, either. It simply makes you seem arrogant and condescending--even if you really are not by nature.

“Free your mind”

Location hidden

#33583 May 26, 2012
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Just some thoughts;
The only people I know who are not hypocrites have set the bar so low even a snake can go over it. Where is your bar set, or are you a hypocrite too?
If the bar is set at perfection, can you make it? The Bible says we are ALL broken. How could a broken person ever make perfection?
If people are trying to know God, a Being who claims to have created this universe (and maybe more), why are you disappointed they struggle? How do you know YOU know Him correctly? Are you, or anyone, capable of knowing God perfectly?
But you talk about 'faith'. Does that not require you trusting something beyond what you know? If you know it to be a fact, faith is not necessary.
Just some things to thing about.
Nobody is perfect, and if more people would realize that, then we could all stop judging each other. I am not disappointed that people struggle with their faith, I am disappointed that they follow blindly and don't question. What the preacher says, goes...

I tried to have faith, but the world has weighed heavy on my heart. I trust no one, and especially find it hard to trust in an invisible spirit creature that might or might not exist. "God" talked to many in the bible, and made many miracles happen... why did he stop? Why is he magically gone and uninvolved with the human race? Could it be that his talking to people and doing miracles were only stories handed down from generation to generation? Just something for YOU to think about...
Knowledge

Enfield, IL

#33585 May 26, 2012
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the problem.
While being a Christian IS a lifestyle, being gay is not.
So you really have NOOOO idea what her lifestyle may be.
Pretending otherwise doesn't really make you a nice person, either. It simply makes you seem arrogant and condescending--even if you really are not by nature.
Let me get something straight to you, I am a Christian, and yes I know her lifestyle. What does that have anything to do with you? She knows my lifestyle and she knows how I believe. So you are saying because someone is doing something that you believe is a sin, by being nice to someone makes you arrogant or condescending. Let me tell you something else, when you wake up in the morning if a bad thought comes in your mind your sinning before God. No one is perfect, no one. We all fall short of the GLORY OF GOD! He who is without sin, let them cast the first stone. I am sure you know that one. Doesn't that mean we all sin? I am not sure what you are all about, but if you are a Christian, you need to go back and read the Bible. God is no respecter of persons, that includes me, you, and everyone else on this thread. We are all the same before God, I am sure you have some skeletons in your own closet.
Knowledge

Enfield, IL

#33586 May 26, 2012
TXgurl wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody is perfect, and if more people would realize that, then we could all stop judging each other. I am not disappointed that people struggle with their faith, I am disappointed that they follow blindly and don't question. What the preacher says, goes...
I tried to have faith, but the world has weighed heavy on my heart. I trust no one, and especially find it hard to trust in an invisible spirit creature that might or might not exist. "God" talked to many in the bible, and made many miracles happen... why did he stop? Why is he magically gone and uninvolved with the human race? Could it be that his talking to people and doing miracles were only stories handed down from generation to generation? Just something for YOU to think about...
If you are interested in something that might make you really think, look up the information on the people last year in the Joplin, MO tornado. If you don't believe in God, there are a lot of incidences that happened to people that, they are saying it was God and his angels who saved them. Even channel 3 news ABC network had a lady you could hear praying, and begging God to spare her and her home, someone actually caught in on video. Her house was the only one standing in all the rubble. I thought it was fascinating that the news people put it on the air. They hardly ever do something like that. There were a lot of miracles that happened that day. It was a year ago this month. You watch and be the judge... Please don't think I was at all being arrogant like that person said, I would hope you know that by now. God does still work today, sometimes we are to busy to notice, unless it hits home.

“laugh until your belly hurts”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#33587 May 26, 2012
Knowledge wrote:
<quoted text>
I can only tell you to put your trust in no man, read the Bible for yourself and let God lead you, not people...

...You are right not to go in something blindly, everyone has to search their own soul. People will always let you down, but God's word prevails.
and this is really all you needed to say. you don't have to butter it up and put jam on it because this is what jesus taught us.

what he taught us is that we must unlearn everything that we think that we have learned, and forget everything that we think that we know and then allow the spirit of the creator to guide us. he also taught us to question everything... even our own hearts and even the existence of god because in asking questions and through skepticism comes knowledge and wisdom.

you and other folks who lean toward a baptist doctrine teach us that the bible is 'the inerrant word of god'. that, however, is not completely true for in the bible there are a lot of words of man written as well. you can't forget, either, that the bible was compiled from writings of men, by a group of men... not the divine. a good example of this is the fact that three of the four gospels weren't written by anybody who ever knew jesus. they were paraphrased and written from memories by someone who had had glimpses of the writings of another gospel before he had been found out and had had the scrolls hidden away from him so that he couldn't give them to the roman church for 'cleansing'.

you accuse me of not knowing, or trusting in the bible, but in turn i accuse you of exactly the opposite... of not knowing the bible simply because you have trusted in the words of men. do you understand what i'm trying to explain to you here? you also claim that i am a false pastor simply due to the fact that i believe that god doesn't separate us by denominations, or even by 'religions'. our common creator loves us all equally...(s)he doesn't put us into little boxes labeled 'methodists','baptists','catho lics','pagans' and such, but keeps all sitting together so that (s)he can gaze on the beauty of his creation.

as an aside, can you tell me the worship practices of pagans? are they so different from yours?

“saved From jesus”

Location hidden

#33588 May 26, 2012
Knowledge wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong, LOL it applies to all. I know you don't believe, but in the Christian world, God is no respecter of persons. No one is better than the other. His commandment applies to all, no exceptions, we are all just human, and mess up from time to time. So we ask for forgiveness , pick our selves up and start all over again. LOL No one is perfect, but you know that. Unfortunatly some people believe they are better than others, in all walks of life.LOL Have a good day!
If you have been deep into your religion for many years, wouldn't you think that you would have the forethought after all this time not to make those mistakes?

When you knowingly mess up (I think most people know they are while they're doing it), you ask for forgiveness. Since no one answers you, how do you know your apology has been accepted? How many screw ups are you afforded before the forgiveness is no given? What if it is only one strike and you're out?

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#33589 May 26, 2012
Knowledge wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are interested in something that might make you really think, look up the information on the people last year in the Joplin, MO tornado. If you don't believe in God, there are a lot of incidences that happened to people that, they are saying it was God and his angels who saved them. Even channel 3 news ABC network had a lady you could hear praying, and begging God to spare her and her home, someone actually caught in on video. Her house was the only one standing in all the rubble. I thought it was fascinating that the news people put it on the air. They hardly ever do something like that. There were a lot of miracles that happened that day. It was a year ago this month. You watch and be the judge... Please don't think I was at all being arrogant like that person said, I would hope you know that by now. God does still work today, sometimes we are to busy to notice, unless it hits home.
So god punished everyone else on her block because they didn't pray hard enough?

Sounds like a tool...

“Free your mind”

Location hidden

#33590 May 26, 2012
Knowledge wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me get something straight to you, I am a Christian, and yes I know her lifestyle. What does that have anything to do with you? She knows my lifestyle and she knows how I believe. So you are saying because someone is doing something that you believe is a sin, by being nice to someone makes you arrogant or condescending. Let me tell you something else, when you wake up in the morning if a bad thought comes in your mind your sinning before God. No one is perfect, no one. We all fall short of the GLORY OF GOD! He who is without sin, let them cast the first stone. I am sure you know that one. Doesn't that mean we all sin? I am not sure what you are all about, but if you are a Christian, you need to go back and read the Bible. God is no respecter of persons, that includes me, you, and everyone else on this thread. We are all the same before God, I am sure you have some skeletons in your own closet.
They were pointing out that being gay is not a choice and being a Christian is... a lifestyle is something you choose. Trust me, I did not choose to be attracted to other women and I tried for most of my life to be straight. I did this for my family and to be accepted by society, but I got to the point where I couldn't get up every day and pretend to be someone I am not. I am sure that there are some people who choose to be gay for whatever reason, but I assure you, when I was 11 and noticing other girls instead of noticing the guys when I was going through puberty it was not a choice I made. I didn't even know what being gay was at that time.

“saved From jesus”

Location hidden

#33591 May 26, 2012
TXgurl wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't get it. We are fed this Jules Verne style story about the origins of the universe, complete with demons, angels, talking snakes, a scientifically proven impossibility of a genocidal flood, Moses parted the Red Sea using a magic staff, and thousands of different interpretations of the same stories. It's about as believable as Clash of the Titans. We're supposed to accept this without any evidence? That's crazy. Anything that can be claimed without evidence can be dismissed without evidence. I will NEVER believe any of it. We live in a natural universe of natural origins. No other evidence suggests otherwise.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#33592 May 26, 2012
Religionthebiglie wrote:
<quoted text>
Having an opinion doesn't make me a radical. Calling me one just makes you look nuts.
People hate your religions because of how you act, not because of your voodoo beliefs. You preach one thing and do another. Is that so hard to understand?
BTW, leading your posts with ad hominem attacks makes you look petty and pathetic.
Your an evil person with your heart full of hate . Your a lost cause all of the hate you have for people that don't agree with you is disturbing. Mark my words your extreme radical beliefs one day will be your down fall .

“saved From jesus”

Location hidden

#33593 May 26, 2012
Knowledge wrote:
<quoted text>
I just looked into that story. That tornado killed 116 people. The deadliest single tornado on record in Joplin. Doesn't sound very miraculous for those people.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Columbia, IL daycare story on KSDK 5 news last ... 5 hr big louie 87
Schnucks 9 hr DOR 12
Police support 12 hr hatechs 12
CHS Breakfast 12 hr hatechs 6
Jeff & Mandy Herring owe you $$? 14 hr Nice 5
dopers 18 hr tnj 10
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) Fri newpoly 1,903
•••
•••
Columbia Dating