Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2010

Judged:

Is it very uncommon to sit on your front porch at night and see a large owl to swoop down and pick up a fully grown cat or small dog in the street or in another Neighbors yard ? I was was in shock when I saw this with my very own eyes and didn't think this could happen. I called Animal control about this. and was told if I knew what direction the bird went when this took place. What difference does this make it just happen a few seconds ago. and it went right over my house with the cat trying to get away even then in the air under the big birds claws and large wings..
I'm in shock ! this poor cat was fighting back for his very own life at that moment in mid air.
This isn't funny and I'm sure people will think this is crazy or I'm a Nut case. I don't care !
People in my neighborhood are missing their small dogs right out of their own back yards and now we know why. What can be done about this problem ?
Neighborhood watcher

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2010

I live on the north end of town here in Coffeyville. I just want to know has anyone else seen this happen and was afraid to report this because of what others might think ?
FYI

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2010

Your not crazy. There are videos on the internet of large birds picking up goats and throwing them off cliffs. If a bird can do that to a goat they can pick up small cats and dogs.
dill weed

Coffeyville, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2010

Judged:

I don't think you are nuts. I've seen eagles attack and grab mountain goats and then hurl them off cliffs in order to kill them.
NDNSITE

Independence, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2010

Judged:

I live close to the creek by the elementary school & there are owls, foxes & deer that run thru there.
I was walking my dog late on eveing & saw a shadowfly over, looked up at the light pole & an owl was sitting on the top. You don't hear them, they're silent. The problem with hawks & owls, is they are protected by the state. You can not kill them.

Since: Jul 10

Coffeyville, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2010

NDNSITE wrote:
I live close to the creek by the elementary school & there are owls, foxes & deer that run thru there.
I was walking my dog late on eveing & saw a shadowfly over, looked up at the light pole & an owl was sitting on the top. You don't hear them, they're silent. The problem with hawks & owls, is they are protected by the state. You can not kill them.
there were a couple of owls when I left work the other night, sitting on the top of light post, all the years I have worked there, have never seen that.
no kiddin

Coffeyville, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2010

Judged:

I was carried almost 100ft by a large owl one night...Well, I think it was an owl-I was pretty drunk.
Captian Obvious

Coffeyville, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2010

Judged:

Watcher, as much as you would like to believe that you live in a bubble, protected from everything you don't like, you don't. You didn't think this could happen? I'm trying really hard not to personally attack you, but exactly how uninformed are you? It's a preadator prey situation. If you want to preserve your little pet,protect your little pet. Birds of prey are hunters and animals smaller and slower than them are snacks. Such is the circle of life. As to what can be done about nature being nature and predators feeding themselves, keep your yappy little dog or loose alley cat inside and out of harms way.
kansasismyhome

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2010

Neighborhood watcher wrote:
Is it very uncommon to sit on your front porch at night and see a large owl to swoop down and pick up a fully grown cat or small dog in the street or in another Neighbors yard ? I was was in shock when I saw this with my very own eyes and didn't think this could happen. I called Animal control about this. and was told if I knew what direction the bird went when this took place. What difference does this make it just happen a few seconds ago. and it went right over my house with the cat trying to get away even then in the air under the big birds claws and large wings..
I'm in shock ! this poor cat was fighting back for his very own life at that moment in mid air.
This isn't funny and I'm sure people will think this is crazy or I'm a Nut case. I don't care !
People in my neighborhood are missing their small dogs right out of their own back yards and now we know why. What can be done about this problem ?
I'm sure that was a tremendous shock to see that happen. I realize that the birds of prey are just trying to get a meal but it still seems cruel. The area around Sycamore creek is teeming with wildlife. Owls and hawks are commonplace around here but I have seen coyotes and even a small bobcat. Gotta love wildlife even when it is wilk.
Edgar Alan Crow

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2010

Judged:

Cruel for an owl to pick up a cat? Not really. No more cruel than us cutting down their homes for our houses, and clearing their wooded areas for growing crops and raising cattle. As we encroach into their areas, they have little choice other than to repay the favor. If it's more than you can take, move to Antarctica. No owls there. As many loose cats and dogs as run around free in this town, a few more owls, hawks, bobcats and even a panther or two would be okay with me.
Nutty

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2010

Judged:

Death to all owls! I hate those things!! I lived in the country for many years and they caused us a big loss in small animals. They are dirty filthy things why protect them.
Rat and mouse

Coffeyville, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2010

Nutty wrote:
Death to all owls! I hate those things!! I lived in the country for many years and they caused us a big loss in small animals. They are dirty filthy things why protect them.
Yes, let's kill the owls and hawks! it's tough for us rodents trying to get into your houses and garbage cans w/ those monsters flapping around!(what? they eat cats? wow, holy mixed emotions, Batman!)
Doh

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2010

Judged:

no kiddin wrote:
I was carried almost 100ft by a large owl one night...Well, I think it was an owl-I was pretty drunk.
It was "Owlosaurus"....
ksmom56

Coffeyville, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2010

Judged:

Neighborhood watcher wrote:
I bet we are pretty close in the area. North west middle. around central, grant anyway, my 1 y/o kitty completely disappeared. We searched the entire block and asked. Looked in weeds. Never taken to vets as a stray. OMG I believe you! Poor little girl. She was so precious to me. I'm gonna be on lok out for that thing.:)
small pet breeder

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2010

I just read the topix on missing Dog. there seems to be a big story here that hasn't been in the local news paper warning small pet owners like myself. I breed small toy fox terriers in this town. and we had one of our dogs come up missing. Do you honestly expect me to believe a big bird haul my pet off.? is this a HOAX OR A JOKE ? does anyone else take this as being such ?
Chuckles

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2010

small pet breeder wrote:
I just read the topix on missing Dog. there seems to be a big story here that hasn't been in the local news paper warning small pet owners like myself. I breed small toy fox terriers in this town. and we had one of our dogs come up missing. Do you honestly expect me to believe a big bird haul my pet off.? is this a HOAX OR A JOKE ? does anyone else take this as being such ?
I personnaly think it's a joke going to far. Come on how many big birds have you honestly seen hauling anything away in your own Neighborhood. Maybe it's time to get themselves a bigger dog to protect themselves at least their worries would be over from the BIG BIRD !LMFAO !
houston35

Coffeyville, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2010

small pet breeder wrote:
Watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
It's an eagle carrying off a large goat.

I don't know if it's hoax but it is at least plausible possibility. Kansas has both bald and golden eagles. But I would suspect it might be something more common like a Great Horned Owl.
observer

Coffeyville, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2010

THERE is lot of folks talking on the lost dog thread who have witnessed this large black bird taking a dog. Lot of witnesses from grant street apts. It happened in North Park. fyi
Mom of 3

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2010

houston35 wrote:
<quoted text>
Watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
It's an eagle carrying off a large goat.
I don't know if it's hoax but it is at least plausible possibility. Kansas has both bald and golden eagles. But I would suspect it might be something more common like a Great Horned Owl.
I would of never believed this until I saw this film for my very own eyes. people in my neighborhood are watching their small pets very close and helping out other neighbors by keeping an eye out for their pets as well. Seems to me it wouldn't take much for a bird that size carry a child off as well. I'm in shock !
why isn't something being done about this ?
Mom of 3

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2010

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals... I copied this from missing dog topix. I found interesting to know from facts only. who would every think this could happen in our own neighborhood ?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

24 Users are viewing the Coffeyville Forum right now

Search the Coffeyville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Has Coffeyville Become a Third-World Country? 2 hr Easy Eddie 15
KS Kansas Right to Bear Arms Question, Constitutio... (Oct '10) 2 hr wally515 5,962
~~ Take one Leave one game ~~ (Mar '11) 4 hr Trouser Cough 4,596
word game (Mar '13) 4 hr Trouser Cough 267
anne ominous vs bill jamison (Jun '11) 18 hr a free man 102
Former Dective Chad Newby 21 hr Diddy 41
anyone else get sick after eating mcdonalds tue... (Feb '11) Sat Coon Platoon 79
•••
•••

Coffeyville News Video

•••
•••

Coffeyville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Coffeyville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE