Chris Maddux, revered teacher, dies - The Park Record

Full story: Park Record 39
Students, teachers and administrators in the Park City School District are mourning the loss of Chris Maddux, long-time media instructor at Park City High School , who died Thursday of colon cancer. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mimi9990

Park City, UT

#1 Apr 29, 2011
My condolences to his family. My daughter greatly enjoyed his class.
Soni Stevens

United States

#2 Apr 29, 2011
Maddox was a great teacher, I never got to experience his tv media classes but I was still always able to go to him whenever I had an issue. My prayers go out to you and your family. You were an awesome man and you will be missed by so many people. Rest in peace.
Spencer Stuard

Los Angeles, CA

#3 Apr 29, 2011
Mr. Maddux was the single greatest teacher I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. There are literally hundreds of his students out in the world right now living happy and successful lives doing what they want because of him, and I am only one of them. It is so unfortunate that future students won't get to experience his inspiring personality, passionate attitude, and perfect formula for teaching the visual arts. Me and so many others will remember Mr. Maddux for the rest of our lives and every time we make a small step towards our life long dreams... We will think of you Maddux and everything you have done for us, the PC community, and this industry as a whole. You will be missed tremendously.
Corey English

Denver, CO

#4 Apr 29, 2011
Mr. Maddux was one of the greatest teachers I ever had, he was such an awesome guy and truly inspiring to all of us that had the pleasure of taking his classes and getting to know him personally. He will be greatly missed, you are in all of our thoughts.
John Ford

Midvale, UT

#5 Apr 29, 2011
Mr Maddux was not only a teacher, he was a friend. The things I learned in his class motivated me to go into music and media as a career. Chris Maddux was a mentor to me. I was never a big fan of school but I always looked forward to his class. My thoughts and prayers are with his wife and children. He will be greatly missed. I am truly blessed to have known him. May he rest in peace.
Ian Shorr

Palmdale, CA

#6 Apr 29, 2011
Chris Maddux was hands down the most inspiring teacher I had at Park City High School. He was tough, funny, wise, compassionate, and -- especially considering the astronomical amounts of bullshit I remember me and my friends putting him through -- he had the patience of a saint. If not for him, I wouldn't be writing movies for a living today.

You were a one of a kind, Chris. The school you left behind has some big shoes to fill.
Ian Shorr

Palmdale, CA

#7 Apr 29, 2011
John Ford wrote:
Mr Maddux was not only a teacher, he was a friend. The things I learned in his class motivated me to go into music and media as a career. Chris Maddux was a mentor to me. I was never a big fan of school but I always looked forward to his class. My thoughts and prayers are with his wife and children. He will be greatly missed. I am truly blessed to have known him. May he rest in peace.
True that, John.
Grant Eaton

Kew, Australia

#8 Apr 30, 2011
Mr. Maddux was the best teacher I had at Park City High School when I was there in 1991-1992. he and his wife, Sharon, took the drama and speech/debate classes on a field trip to NYC around 1993. I remember how magical it was, my first time in a big city. Both of them worked so hard to create a lot of really neat backstage experiences for us with the Rockettes, the star of Miss Saigon, and many of New York's most interesting neighborhoods in eateries. He was a cultured and sophisticated person with a common touch as well, and also caring -- but tough, as others have mentioned, as he was someone who drove you to do better in everything. He expected excellence of his students.

We did not keep in touch after 1993, but I have so many fond memories of his speech, English, and drama classes; the musical "45 Minutes from Broadway" that he directed; and that he did his best to help me deal with an abusive stepfather who even personally threatened him. My condolences to his family.
Darrick Herteux

Mountain Home, ID

#9 Apr 30, 2011
The memories of my time as both a student and a friend of Mr. Maddux are some of my most treasured from my youth. Arguing in speech and debate if an opinion can be wrong, siting in the back of the short bus on our way back from state drama competition, all the freshman who were sent to find the paper stretcher. My senior year, 3 of my first 4 class were with him. After graduation, he continued to be a closer friend. The time I spent with him, as I watched his family grow were some of the best. Every student who knew him is a better person today because of him. My thoughts and prayers go to his wonderful wife and his three great boys.
Crissie Winn

Salt Lake City, UT

#10 Apr 30, 2011
I graduated in 1992, Mr. Maddux was the only reason I made it through. I was very shy and quiet but took every class I could with him including debate and drama. I was not good at either one but Mr Maddux kept me going. My all time favorite teacher I will miss you sooo much!
Jason Nelson

Lehi, UT

#11 Apr 30, 2011
Mr. Maddux embodied everything any of us could ever hope to find in the people who taught us, and teach our children.
Corey Milne

Los Angeles, CA

#12 Apr 30, 2011
I graduated Park City High School in Fall of 2006.

Chris taught me that film could be more than just a hobby, but a career. It's something that I've taken with me ever since my graduation. Film Production was my favorite class, because he made it fun and enjoyable. between my experiences in and out of class room, I felt that Maddux was the biggest inspiration I had going into college. I couldn't be more excited to share with him my success in earning a Bachelor degree in Film Studies at the University of Utah. I then went on to work on two feature films in Hollywood, and Maddux was one of theĀ first people I shared the news with.

He will be always loved and always missed. I can only imagine the amount of kids involved in the film program that miss him, and will forever be in debt to him. My deepest condolences go to his family and friends.

Corey
Peter Fryer

Denver, CO

#13 Apr 30, 2011
Mr. Maddux's classes were the melting pot of the outcasts, the creative, film nerds and intellectuals alike. His lessons on being active in your perceptions of the world were life changing, his patience and humor inspiring.

He is why so many of us do what we do - for myself, studying Speech Communication and Media Studies in college - and why so many of us view the world the way we do.

Mr. Maddux was the only teacher that could show the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers movie in class and make it an engaging intellectual exercise. He was a friend, mentor and inspiration to us all. He will be missed.
Hunter Metcalf

Lehi, UT

#14 Apr 30, 2011
Maddux,

I am honored to have you in my life. You help mentor and encourage me to do what I love. You are one of the people that plays a huge part in driving my journey in life. I can safely say that if it was not for you, I would have not pursued a education and career in film production. You alway greet me with a smile as I come back to visit you, even seven years after graduation. I am humbled when you ask me to come into your class to give advice and critique current students work. You play such a huge role in these kids life. I see kids eyes light up when they are in your class. your class is taken by choice. This says a lot about you. I wish you the very best in where ever you go and will miss you greatly! Thank you, Thank You, Thank you!

whoever gets the great honor of crossing paths with you from this day forward will not be disappointed. Keep up the great work and know that you will always be in my life where ever your life takes you.

Cheers my great friend, mentor, teacher and role model.
Much Love!
Hunter
Elliott Zgraggen

Sandy, UT

#15 Apr 30, 2011
I took T.V Productions from Mr. Maddux my freshman year, and even though it was the only class I ever took from him and I was super terrible at it, he was always encouraging and friendly to me. Even years later after graduating I might run into him at a football game and he would always remember my name and ask me how I was doing.
RIP Mr. Maddux. You were a Mensch.
Amanda Gross

Tucson, AZ

#16 Apr 30, 2011
Maddux was one of the best teachers I ever had. He was always fun to be around, had the greatest personality, and genuinely cared about his students. I had him as a teacher for 3 years and I learned so much about television and production. I will miss you, Maddux. Thanks for always being there and making me laugh. You will always be remembered. You and your family are in my prayers. Rest in peace.
Greg Ceccarelli

Salt Lake City, UT

#17 Apr 30, 2011
Mr. Maddux,
you are one of the most influential people to shape my life. as a teacher you gave me the tools to be a better student, but as a mentor you gave me the tools to be a better person. being in your classes i felt like i could express myself in video and music. every student in your class loved you. you will be missed.
Ian Tap

Park City, UT

#18 Apr 30, 2011
Mr. Maddux! I am at a lost of words! You will forever be in our hearts! Your kind and thoughtfulness was absorbed by everyone you came in contact with Bless your heart and your family. Will miss you forever!
Nicole Engler

Novato, CA

#19 Apr 30, 2011
I graduated in 1991 and Mr. Maddux (a.k.a. "MadDog") had just started teaching at PCHS the year before. We put on several plays like "Grease" and "A Chorus Line" and I remember having the time of my life. He loved the performing arts and he leaves that passion in the hearts of anyone who ever had the pleasure of being his student. We will miss you Mr. M!
GenaOliver

Salt Lake City, UT

#20 Apr 30, 2011
Mr. Maddux made PCHS... losing him, Mr. Santy, and Mr. Hunky is unbelievable. I feel sad for the future students that will never have the pleasure that my generation had. I was truely blessed to be a part of my class because of amazing teachers like Mr. Maddux. His entire family is in my thoughts and prayers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coalville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Marketplace: Larry Feldman wants to tell your s... (Mar '10) Oct 22 Jimmyboy 225 8
Ebola patient released from Atlanta hospital Oct 21 koetshuerocanim 1
Boeing, Airbus at odds over black boxes that eject Oct 9 flightdeck 1
Will Mitt Romney take the plunge again? Oct 1 Far Away 8
Report: Security agency not prepared for pandemic Sep '14 CDC maims kills 1
2010 Census recruits scouts - The Park Record (Apr '09) Mar '14 Marjie 2
Clair's Bison (Mar '14) Mar '14 Sammie Tracyyyyyyyyy 1
Coalville Dating
Find my Match

Coalville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Coalville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Coalville