Cherokees to assist CDIB card applicants

Mar 31, 2008 Full story: TulsaWorld.com - State 118

The Cherokee Nation will offer assistance this spring with applications for Certificate Degree of Indian Blood cards and citizenship in the tribe. via TulsaWorld.com - State

Full Story
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Margarita Montoya

Humble, TX

#1 Apr 29, 2008
My grandfather was Cherokee and was raised on an Indian reservation in Oklahoma. What can I do to be able to apply for a CDIB card.
Thank You,
Margarita Montoya
debra burnham

AOL

#2 May 5, 2008
my grandmother always told me that we were cherokee and that her family walked the trail of tears but im having so much trouble finding this info i need help to get my cdib card i have the papers to fill out just havent till i have every thing i need you can tell were indian blood
Jack

Wellsville, KS

#3 May 29, 2008
Call Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma to start with, also go to the library and look up the dawes roll and see if you see the names of grandfather or mother. Books called Cherokee by blood will have the names in it.
Paul

Andover, KS

#4 Jun 12, 2008
The Cherokee Freedmen should have rights also under treaty with the tribe and the United States,and many don't have CDIB cards. They can should that thier people were members of the tribe.
Carla Prater Ripley TN

United States

#5 Jun 23, 2008
I need help! My great-great grandfather was full blood cherokee indian so was his wife, I guess that would make me an 8th! I am trying to find out how to get my cdib card, but i am not getting anywhere! What should I do? His name was Linkhorn Blevins from Wise, VA!
Paul

Coffeyville, KS

#6 Jun 23, 2008
Nope that would make what we call around here a apple. "Red on the outside and White on the inside.
You can go to the Cherokee Nation web site and look for the Dawes roll, if you can find the names of your grandfather or his wife you ,may be able to get a White card CDIB.( Gold Card )
LAURA GOINES

Waynesburg, PA

#7 Jul 11, 2008
My great grandma was full blood cherokee Mary Katherine Herd was her name. We had a arole number before but no one can find it.
Jack

Osawatomie, KS

#8 Jul 12, 2008
Call the BIA office, they may be able to help you.
John Blevins

Mesa, AZ

#9 Jul 17, 2008
I am a descendant fo Linkhorn Blevins Contact me via email;jblevins18@cox.net
Laryy Adams

Thaxton, VA

#10 Jul 29, 2008
My Grandmother was an Oaklahoma Cherokee,i happen to have some documents pertaining to her family,including her cousins Chocktaw Indians.My mother has mentioned that she has a land deed that was given back to them from he president of the U.S.A at the time.Does anyone know if that land deed is suffient to obtain a cdib.and skip all the ancestor searching.Any Skaggs or Thomasons in Oaklahoma or Arizona out there that can help me with this.
N encarnacion

Bayonne, NJ

#12 Jul 30, 2008
I am a mixture arawak, blackfoot, cherokee, bermudian and african american. My parents are from virginia. What do I have to do to get a cdib? thank you
Hill

Wellsville, KS

#13 Aug 12, 2008
You have to prove you have someone was listed as a Native American, the Cherokee tribe in Oklahoma uses the Dawes roll.... I don't know about the Blackfoot.
Now let me ask you this ,why do you want to belong to a tribe, if your parents did not?
Kimberly Sam

Center Junction, IA

#14 Aug 23, 2008
Margarita Montoya wrote:
My grandfather was Cherokee and was raised on an Indian reservation in Oklahoma. What can I do to be able to apply for a CDIB card.
Thank You,
Margarita Montoya
Well, you would need to have these things:

your birth certificate
mother/father's birth certificate/death certificate
grandparent's (ones who are full blooded) birth/death certificates*

*you have to trace back with documentation to someone on one of the Indian Census Rolls (you can google it and it will give you a list of them) to be able to register

Ok, then you contact the Bureau of Indian Affairs, who will hook you up with an application and get you set up with a number and cut you a CDIB card. After you have this, contact the tribe you want to be a member of, have them send you an application, pay the application fee and submit it, and wait until you get a reply... I think it should be within like 90 days or so. And voila, you are a card-carrying member. Each tribe has different requirements, such as the NC tribe requires blood quotient of 1/16 as well as ancestor on a specific Roll, the OK tribe has no blood quotient requirement, just need someone on a specific Roll...
I hope this answers your question.

Since: Aug 08

Center Junction, IA

#15 Aug 23, 2008
Paul wrote:
The Cherokee Freedmen should have rights also under treaty with the tribe and the United States,and many don't have CDIB cards. They can should that thier people were members of the tribe.

Uh, yeah, but the issue with the freedmen is that they have to prove they have a Cherokee ancestor on the Rolls, just like everyone else does. The Freedmen under dispute at this time are unable to prove they have one.

Center Junction, IA

#16 Aug 23, 2008
N encarnacion wrote:
I am a mixture arawak, blackfoot, cherokee, bermudian and african american. My parents are from virginia. What do I have to do to get a cdib? thank you
You have to prove your ancestry through documentation, and trace it back at least as far as one of the Indian Census Rolls. To carry a card, you have to have a direct ancestor whose name appears on the Rolls. After you have documentation to prove you are eligible to carry a card, then you contact the BIA and apply for one and they will assist you with that. Then you look for a tribe you qualify for. Some require a certain blood quotient for membership, and others don't, depending on the tribe. You contact the tribe, and they will help you get registered.

Center Junction, IA

#17 Aug 23, 2008
Hill wrote:
You have to prove you have someone was listed as a Native American, the Cherokee tribe in Oklahoma uses the Dawes roll.... I don't know about the Blackfoot.
Now let me ask you this ,why do you want to belong to a tribe, if your parents did not?

I'm not who that one was intended for, but here's why I want to...
I am about to register w/ the Cherokee myself, not with any special ulterior motive or anything, but because where I come from is important to me. I was rootless, having no specific known heritage until this year, when my paternal grandmother died and my mother gave me something from the people who lived before. You see, there was a huge fight between my grandfather (1/2 cherokee, 1/2 irish) and his father (full blood), and they never spoke again. My grandfather forbade his children to speak of HIS parents, and so they didn't. But the promise apparently didn't extend to my mother lol. My grandfather gave her a warbonnet of the Cherokee, wrapped in an animal skin, and a letter for us with instructions to wait until he and his wife were deceased to pass it on to us, so that we may choose. I have three siblings, and I am the only one who wants to become a member of a tribe.
I am 30 years old and it may take a while, but I would like to learn the language of my father's people... my people. We have a place not far from where I live now called Starved Rock, which I have been to a few times, and you can still feel the suffering there... even as a child I could feel it. Now that I know they were MY people, things have changed for me. I want to know their names, teach my children about those who lived before them, give them the opportunity to make the choice between the white world and the land of our ancestors, a choice I have been robbed of since birth. I want to pass along the Tradition that is their birthright.
I am not sure who you are, or whether or not you were raised among the People, but if you were you were very lucky. Where I was raised we never spoke of where my grandparents were from, were never told about ANY of our ancestors, so I grew up without a culture, like my family was dropped from a spaceship or something. For me, this is an opportunity of a lifetime. I have people out there somewhere, people I have never met, and I would very much like to meet them. My grandfather had brothers... it is a possibility at least one of them was, or is, in the Nation. By registering, there is a better chance that I will find them.
Oh, and one other thing... Now that I know about my people, if I pretend they don't exist, what kind of person does that make me??? My name is Kimberly, and I will lead my family back to their roots... thank you for taking the time to read my posting.
Katie

Hanford, CA

#18 Sep 19, 2008
My boyfriends grandfather was cherokee indian, and I found his grandfather or his fathers, name on the dawes final rolls but unforunately my boyfriend does not have his grandfathers birth or death certificate. Is there any possible way to get around that? My boyfriend also shares the exact same legal name as his grandfather I thought that might help his case alittle. Anyone know?
robert gray

New Lisbon, WI

#19 Mar 7, 2009
people ask why do you want to belong to a tribe if your parents didnt? well my parents didnt get enrolled because when the rolls were taken my ggg grandfather was living in illinois and he didnt get counted and just because that diesnt make me any less cherokee than someone who isnt enrolled, my ggg grandfather was the first jude in the saline district in the cherokee nation and lived there right up to just before the dawes rolls, we have many cousins who are registed in both the cherokee nation and the keetoowahs also, im proud to be native
candace stegall

Guthrie, OK

#20 Mar 10, 2009
i have a cherokee CDIB card and have no clue how to use it... my biological father split when i was two weeks now im 18 out on my own and having heath issues and have my card but dont know where to start?
dark_dragon

Schaumburg, IL

#21 Mar 26, 2009
Ok I'm Trying to find out what i can do to help me and my mother. For years she's wanted our family to become registered, and I myself would like to well interact with our people. We know we are cherokee and would like to have our documents i.e. birth certificates corrected. So if anyone can help please email me with the information @ dark_elven_dragon_unleashed@ya hoo.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Claremore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Boomer Auto Repair (Nov '08) Oct 27 Steve 21
Owasso teen 2006 (Jun '09) Oct 21 emily 5
Chelsea seeking to fill job of chief (Oct '08) Oct 3 BORROWED 39
Police: Catoosa Family Tied Up, Robbed During H... Sep '14 Yes_Man 1
Corrupt Sep '14 notrust 3
Centrilift Baker Huge Over Charge (Jul '13) Sep '14 Yup 2
Owasso Councilor Charged After DUI Arrest (Jan '09) Sep '14 ejose 26

Freeze Warning for Rogers County was issued at October 31 at 11:34AM CDT

Claremore Dating
Find my Match