Doughnut shop owner sentenced for ivory smuggling

Full story: Inland Valley Daily Bulletin

The owner of a Claremont doughnut shop was placed on probation and fined nearly $4,000 on Monday for smuggling ivory from endangered African elephants.
Comments
1 - 20 of 26 Comments Last updated Dec 1, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Utesch

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2010

He should be sent to PRISON.
Emma

Chino, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2010

Boycott his shop! I know I'll never buy from a person who knowingly participates in the inhumane slaughter of sentient beings for what? Trinkets? Elephants are magnificent animals and for them to be killed for human greed and vanity is unconscionable.
Chico Escuela

Montclair, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2010

They make some good doughnuts though. I go to their shop regularly. Fantastic.
Murdock

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2010

Carved them in the back of his shop. Hmm, watch out for the ivory shavings in your glazed.
Claudia

Bloomington, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2010

Asian besides being stupid overall and a hazard on the roads they still think they can get away with stuff like that.
Homer

Chino, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2010

Claudia wrote:
Asian besides being stupid overall and a hazard on the roads they still think they can get away with stuff like that.
Did that make you feel better to insert a racist remark? Seriously though, if you're gonna spread hate, at least be accurate. I guess you are too stupid to know that the stereotype of Asians is that they are smart. And what does driving have anything to do with this crime? Just another ignorant troll saying "stuff like that."
eye on things

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2010

Ill take a ivory chocolate donut and a small coffee. To go please. I won't be eating there anytime soon.
Who Cares

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2010

Yeah let's boycott him for buying something from a slaughtered animal. While we are on the subject then none of you making remarks should be eating meat, wearing anything that is made from animal skin, and so on. What a bunch of f..ing hypocrites.
Cultural Issues

La Verne, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2010

It's his culture! It's his culture! You can't challenge his culture! That's racist/neo-Colonialist! We hear that as a defense all the time. Especially from our friends in Claremont.
Mac

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2010

Claudia wrote:
Asians? Have u been to university campus lately? obviously NOT!!! Well maybe its time for u to venture out in world of educated people and all u would see are Asians. So who's stupid now "claudia" or should i say narrow-minded claudia!!!
Rufus T Firefly

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2010

Hey, you can only make so much by selling a glazed twist, others use Amway this guy uses Ivory to supplement his income.
Im just saying

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2010

Yes, I would like a giant cinnamon role...hey that's not a cinnamon role, its elephant dung!
Lurking

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2010

Homer wrote:
<quoted text>
Did that make you feel better to insert a racist remark? Seriously though, if you're gonna spread hate, at least be accurate. I guess you are too stupid to know that the stereotype of Asians is that they are smart. And what does driving have anything to do with this crime? Just another ignorant troll saying "stuff like that."
Asians are overachievers academically, but you must admit they are a hazard to everyone on the road.
Paul Smith

Chino Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2010

Those sickos making racist comments need help. I am 84 and I love my 19 year old Asian bride and our 3 year old son.
Lurking

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2010

Paul Smith wrote:
Those sickos making racist comments need help. I am 84 and I love my 19 year old Asian bride and our 3 year old son.
How does that work, do they arrive COD or do you pay in advance?
Im just saying

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2010

Lurking wrote:
<quoted text>
How does that work, do they arrive COD or do you pay in advance?
They arrive...and you pay, and pay, and keep paying!
pomona mama

Huntington Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2010

Perhaps the people that protest on the corner of Indian Hill Blvd. every Friday should take their signs and protest in front of this guys doughnut shop instead.

Then let him deal with public shame and humiliation, the public will let him know we do not approve of buying ivory at the expense of the extinction of a species.
2 cents

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2010

this nutty cr*p comes from being overrun with foreigners that in no way become the least bit Americanized
Sly

San Marcos, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2010

Great donuts, bad guy. The 2 gals who work in there MUST have known what was going on. I say, tar and feather them all!
lol

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2010

i see a lot of white "elephants" going there for their daily fix of doughnuts

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Los Angeles County was issued at August 22 at 2:15AM PDT

•••

Claremont News Video

•••
•••

Claremont Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Claremont People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Claremont News, Events & Info