Blood Quantum Vote of the Klamath Tribes setup for Failure!

Posted in the Chiloquin Forum

First Prev
of 9
Next Last

“Bringing the truth to Modocs!”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#1 Feb 24, 2012
By putting 3 choices made this a joke!
as you can see the Majority would like to lower
the blood Quantum but by wording it the way it was,
it spread the votes 3 ways. It should have been
a simple yes or no question and worded example: A yes vote Changes the language of Article III of the Constitution of the Klamath Tribes to require one-sixteenth {1/16} degree Klamath, Modoc, or Yahooskin blood. A no vote would keep it as it is at 1/4.
Keep it simple people!

Total number of votes cast for each option:

A- 418
B-308
C-327

Option A - Keeps the language of Article III of the Constitution of the Klamath Tribes as
is, with no changes. A vote for option A will make no changes to Article III of the
Constitution of the Klamath Tribes.
Option B - Changes the language of Article III of the Constitution of the Klamath Tribes
to require one-eighth {1/8} degree Klamath, Modoc, or Yahooskin blood, and includes
other procedural and substantive changes regarding the status of enrolled members and
those applying for enrollment.

Option C - Changes the language of Article III of the Constitution of the Klamath Tribes
to require one-sixteenth {1/16} degree Klamath, Modoc, or Yahooskin blood, and
includes other procedural and substantive changes regarding the status of enrolled
members and those applying for enrollment.

: CERTIFICATION

We, the undersigned, of the Klamath Tribes Election Board, do hereby certify the above-recorded totals
to be the final results of the 2012 KlamathTribes Referendum Vote on Membership, Enrollment, and
...--.
Voting, this 23rd day of February, 2012.

Location hidden

#2 Feb 24, 2012
Maybe the Referendum should have been worded like this: A= 1/4 of our total peoples are allowed to be enrolled in "the tribes" Current status.
B= 1/2 of our total people may be allowed to be enrolled. C= 3/4 of our total people may be allowed to be enrolled. D= All our people who can prove they are our people can and will be enrolled because we care and love our people. F= Don't care, never have, never will, as long as I get mine who cares about anything else anyway!
OUT SIDE LOOKING IN

Klamath Falls, OR

#3 Feb 24, 2012
FOR THE GREED OF A FEW TURNING THERE BACKS ON THEIR DESTENDANTS WHEN DO YOU CEASE BEING A IND AND WHO HAS THE RIGHT TO TELL YOU THAT. ITS THE WAY YOU FEEL IN YOUR HEART ITS THE WAY YOU ARE AND WHO YOU ARE.
Still the same

United States

#4 Feb 24, 2012
Regardless if the vote would have gone the way you wanted, it still doesn't change the few who hold the cards, deal the cards and load the dice!
Nothing will change for descendants if the pit bosses don't care about elders and the inexperienced! They'll change any dealer who helps and replace with or control those who
Do what they want! The house will always win until they lose it ALL! Same rules apply! Remove
Them!
Sheldon

Klamath Falls, OR

#5 Feb 24, 2012
The outcome of the ballot only tells me that the majority of the Tribal Members want to see the blood quantum lowered and the way the ballot was designed allowed the 418 out of 3,000+ greedy ones to have say of the future of the Tribes. Feel safe that you will not have to share your 30 or so dollars, probably won't even be close to $30 this year. At least I know any family members that I have that are not enrolled can trace their family line and no on can stop that!
cmcortez

Portland, OR

#6 Feb 24, 2012
I agree with what most of the people have posted so far and it's a shame that a number has to define who you are or aren't.

Do you people not realize that you are denying our descendants; children, grandchildren, etc. their birthrights?!

I have 2 children and 6 grandchildren that anyone who looks at them can tell that they are definitely Native, but just because they don't fit into your little box and I, myself am onnly 3/8s by your standards, they cannot be enrolled? How absurd is that? They can all trace their ancestry into the tribe.

Shame on you all! Turning your back on your own people!
cmcortez

Portland, OR

#7 Feb 24, 2012
Oh, and one more thing-if you don't allow these descendants into the tribe, how do you expect the Tribe to continue on? No one is going to live forever, but I hope I live to see the day when this atrocity is done away with and my GROWN children can stop being ashamed because their own ancestors won't act them.

If you can prove your lineage, you should be accepted into the tribe-period!

Location hidden

#8 Feb 24, 2012
cmcortez wrote:
Oh, and one more thing-if you don't allow these descendants into the tribe, how do you expect the Tribe to continue on? No one is going to live forever, but I hope I live to see the day when this atrocity is done away with and my GROWN children can stop being ashamed because their own ancestors won't act them.
If you can prove your lineage, you should be accepted into the tribe-period!
I'm going to go out on a limb here but if you are part Modoc there is a way for your family to be part of our tribe. Have them enroll in The Modoc Nation. It will not effect the Klamath tribes in anyway since anyone under 1/4 is not considered indian anyway in the Klamath tribes.
You and your family are welcome, if you are a descendant of a Modoc Ancestor. This is the real deal and we are growing everyday, we are celebrating who we are and bringing back our culture which was taken away from us. You can contact The Modoc Nation at modoc-nation@hotmail.com or find us on facebook under The Modoc Nation or at Modoc-Nation.blogspot.com I know this will stir up some of the few who want it their way, but times are chaging and so are we.
And no, no one is enrolled who cannot prove Ancestry. So no, we are not the Perry Chesnut wannabees. We are modocs,Klamaths,yahooskins,sha sta,Pit River and any other blood that you can think of that have been mixed over the hundreds of years. We are a people who know who we are and are proud to say we are Modoc and we want our people and culture to live on.
Curious

Dallas, OR

#9 Feb 25, 2012
Munilaki wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm going to go out on a limb here but if you are part Modoc there is a way for your family to be part of our tribe. Have them enroll in The Modoc Nation. It will not effect the Klamath tribes in anyway since anyone under 1/4 is not considered indian anyway in the Klamath tribes.
You and your family are welcome, if you are a descendant of a Modoc Ancestor. This is the real deal and we are growing everyday, we are celebrating who we are and bringing back our culture which was taken away from us. You can contact The Modoc Nation at modoc-nation@hotmail.com or find us on facebook under The Modoc Nation or at Modoc-Nation.blogspot.com I know this will stir up some of the few who want it their way, but times are chaging and so are we.
And no, no one is enrolled who cannot prove Ancestry. So no, we are not the Perry Chesnut wannabees. We are modocs,Klamaths,yahooskins,sha sta,Pit River and any other blood that you can think of that have been mixed over the hundreds of years. We are a people who know who we are and are proud to say we are Modoc and we want our people and culture to live on.
Just wondering what type of benefits do the Modoc Nation have to offer to it's members regarding health,education,housing,elder care,etc.
Colored

Lebanon, OR

#10 Feb 25, 2012
Teach your kids to marry Klamath not white
revote

Creswell, OR

#11 Feb 25, 2012
It is plain to see that had not three choices been given,lowering the blood would have came out on top. The ballot should be corrected and revoted on
Colored

Lebanon, OR

#12 Feb 25, 2012
How can you figure a person with 1/8 indian blood is considered indian as opposed to white?
hmmm

United States

#13 Feb 25, 2012
1053 enrolled tribal members of voting age of 18 yrs and older have determined the out come of the referendum vote. It turned out that the majority still wanted it to stay at 1/4 blood requirement. I would have had to except either of the opition B or C, if that was the out come but it was not. The ballots were sent to the voting members and if members failed to return their ballots and cast their vote. They have nothing to be crying about or the people crying on this post that are desendents that are not 1/4 blood or more.
Really

Dallas, OR

#14 Feb 25, 2012
revote wrote:
It is plain to see that had not three choices been given,lowering the blood would have came out on top. The ballot should be corrected and revoted on
NO Tribal Council needs to leave it alone. this issue has been voted on several times in the past and it should not have. once the General Council votes on something then it becomes final. No matter what someone is gonna be upset what ever the outcome. This ballot is what Tribal Council and Election Committee came up with so they need to let it alone. everytime we voted on this the vote is always the same so leave it alone it is a clear message to the people. LEAVE IT ALONE. Follow culture and tradition of our ancestors and marry INDIAN.
Marry Indian

United States

#15 Feb 25, 2012
Grew up in Chiloquin.Had a major crush on a beautiful Indian.He and I talked about a future together.Out of respect 4 his culture and blood-line we chose 2 not explore a relationship.In the end the tribe didn't lose his contribution to the blood-line because I pouted it....they lost it 2 alcohol & him drinking and driving.I wish I wouldn't have cared 1 iota about how much I would have watered down his blood.I should have just went with my heart.Any of his DNA in this world would have been better than none.
OUT S L IN

Klamath Falls, OR

#16 Feb 25, 2012
NO MATTER HOW YOU LOOK AT IT THE ONES THAT VOTED A TURNED THEIR BACKS ON THEIR PEOPLE AND FOR WHAT A FEW DOLLARS AT PER CAPTA TIME HOW SAD YOU ARE....
Marry Indian

United States

#17 Feb 25, 2012
With all due respect for a wonderful culture and people I love. It is not the % of non Indian blood in the vains that is the enemy. It is alcohol, drugs and violence. Protect your tribe...stay sober.

Location hidden

#18 Feb 25, 2012
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Just wondering what type of benefits do the Modoc Nation have to offer to it's members regarding health,education,housing,elder care,etc.
Curious: We haven't had 150 years to figure out how to take full advantage of the Federal Government. I know the first few years on the Klamath Reservation didn't go to well for our Modoc Ancestors. With the roughly year and a half we have been a Functioning Government for our people, we do let our people know what the Klamath tribes keep to themselves. You have medical with any Federally Funded Tribal Medical Facility no matter what Blood Degree you have as long as you can show proof of Native Blood. They cannot deny you, this is a Federal Law. So if you think "the tribes" are giving you something extra, you're wrong. So yes we can say you have medical with any Federally Funded Tribal Facility. As far as Education Funding, yes we have a list of many sources that offer funding for Education. It is up to you to apply and provide the information needed. I'm not sure what the question is about housing and elder care? From what I have seen, the Klamath Tribes aren't taking care of them. I heard they wouldn't even supply wood for them and that we have lost at least a handful because of neglect, is this true?
Many of our people are less than 1/4, so we have had to live on our own without any handouts from the tribes grants and funding from the Federal Government. But we care about our Elders and would help them in any way we could. The bottom line is we are on our own without Federal Funding at this time. If need be, we can and will succeed without it. I hope this helps answer your questions. If you are a Modoc Descendent and would like to talk to us about The Modoc Nation, you can email us at modoc-nation@hotmail.com, leave your contact information and we will get back to you. Thanks for asking!
Dist

Clatskanie, OR

#19 Feb 26, 2012
OUT S L IN wrote:
NO MATTER HOW YOU LOOK AT IT THE ONES THAT VOTED A TURNED THEIR BACKS ON THEIR PEOPLE AND FOR WHAT A FEW DOLLARS AT PER CAPTA TIME HOW SAD YOU ARE....
How do you call a people who wish to remain as turning their backs against their own? I would say it is protecting their own and wishing to continue on. Those people who intermarry with other races and have children with no Indian blood, as I see it, have turned their backs on their own people and decided to continue the other races future generations. Indian people, historically, have been forced to share everything in America and this continues today. Now you want them to open their rolls and share their treaties too? It is not about money. By asking to continually lower the blood quantum is to ask that we cease to exist. Don't you realize this is government design to eliminate Native Peoples? Just like another post said: "Follow the culture and tradition of our ancestors and marry Indian." Even if that is Indian from another tribe.
Titan

Lebanon, OR

#20 Feb 26, 2012
Besides being enrolled isnt all that. I know there's no benefit unless your a mitchell hatcher case

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chiloquin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OR Who do you support for Governor in Oregon in 2010? (Oct '10) Tue Will he 207
Hey Amber Thomas (Oct '10) Sep 26 Enemy 4
Memory wilson (Mar '13) Sep 25 edwin 9
Costs tribe a TUNNY of money. Sep 25 JOE 2
lowlife radio personality Sep 25 Dontcha Know 18
Review: Stay N Play Child Care Sep 24 hope 1
melrose place &junctuon 62 Sep 24 who 2

Freeze Warning for Klamath County was issued at October 01 at 11:22AM PDT

Chiloquin Jobs

Chiloquin People Search