created by: Top Mod2 | Sep 13, 2010

New York

3,597 votes

New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote?

Click on an option to vote

• Yes
  • No
  • Other (explain below)

Comments (Page 314)

Showing posts 6,261 - 6,280 of16,773
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
DUH

Ithaca, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2012

If guns are outlawed,then ONLY criminals will have them. Law abiding citizens will no longer carry them, but criminals will always find a way. I feel safer in a country that allows me to carry a 9mm, and I hope to god I'll never need it, than to not be allowed to, and feel vulnurable to all the low lifes.
Teddy R

North Vancouver, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2012

Judged:

De Odumbo Conser wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice dodge. My post was 100% on-point. You have no response for it. I said Bush inherited a good economy and destroyed it (fact). You said "blah blah blah 9/11". I pointed out that 6 months AFTER 9/11 even the Bush administration said the economy was fine and was going to be fine for the next 10 years (fact). We all know how that turned out.
But it's fine, I didn't expect a substantive response.
Whatev. It's quite clear to anyone who reads the thread who first 'dodged' and deflected to a different point.

But it's fine, I didn't expect an on-point response.
nac

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2012

Judged:

massenaintrest wrote:
You can also curb it by making sure certain guns and magazines aren't availabe.
By enacting new laws, you only "make sure" that the guns/mags aren't available to law abiding citizens... that does nothing to keep them out of the hands of criminals. Problem not solved.
massenaintrest wrote:
That corridor that runs between Florida and NYC is known I believe as the iron highway,because of easy purchase laws in the south.If guns weren't so easily purchased in one area,you could put a damper on this.
If the criminals can't get them in Florida, they'll get them from other places, like Mexico... Fast & Furious stocked them up nicely. Again, the criminals will get them from other sources. Problem not solved.

I would encourage you to think with your own brain, not just follow what the corrupt politicians from the corrupt political party that you happen to root for say about the matter. Until Americans outnumber republicans and democrats... we'll get nowhere.
Teddy R

North Vancouver, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2012

Judged:

De Odumbo Conser wrote:
<quoted text>
The government exploded in size in 2009? Really?
From 1993 to 2000, federal spending increased by a total of 26%, from $1.409 trillion to $1.788 trillion.
From 2001-2008 federal spending increased by a total of 60%, from $1.862 trillion to $2.982 trillion.
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BUDGET-2012-TAB/...
Page 20.
Yes, the size of government under Bush and the Republicans in congress increased at more than DOUBLE the speed it had during the previous presidency.
I know, I know, 9/11, right? The conservatives' ready excuse.
Yes, US federal government spending as a % of GDP exploded from the historical norm of between 18-20% of GDP to 25.24% of GDP, a level unheard of since 1943, in the midst of WWII.

Spending under the Obama Administration has remained at that unsustainably high level.

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/spending_...
massenaintrest

Ithaca, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2012

Judged:

What's the matter teddy the peddy,did the fact that nac and I were having a disussion without resorting to insults or stupid comments bother you.Just because you think you know everything doesn't make it so.And you had better do some fact checking of your own.The mag. did jam,but only after he had fired off a significant amount of rounds with it.Of course we know if teddy the peddy was there,he would have leapt up,ran through the haze of teargas and hot lead flying everyhere and heroically disarmed the man.Maybe teddy the peddy should take a course in manners and basic civility,because he seems to be seriously lacking in these areas.Again,because you are so dense a cars purpose is not to kill people,a guns purpose is.There's a difference between running a stop sign while distracted and injuring someone accidentally,then picking up a gun and deliberately shooting a person.The courts have recognized this difference for a long,long time.Indeed if you are drunk behind the wheel and kill someone in an accident,you will go to jail.But if you pick up a gun and shoot someone while drunk,you stand a good chance of being charged with murder 1,and in death penalty states the possibility of being strapped down and having a hot shot delivered into a vein.
massenaintrest

Ithaca, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2012

Judged:

My support for gun control has nothing to do with party affiliation.Reagan,a republican supported the Brady Bill and the assault weapons ban and he wasn't a liberal.The democrats have largely been mute on this area.Obama has not made any moves what so ever to enact any gun control legislation.To me it is not a matter of what my party believes or does,it's what I believe that matters.At one time you had a lot of pols on both sides that supported common sense gun laws.I don't think Obama has done nearly enough on gun control.I am sick of being told these regular massacres are all part of living in America.
Teddy R

North Vancouver, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2012

Judged:

RombotFromColtsNeck wrote:
Just because I told the truth about the founders of mormonism doesn't make me a deviate ...
No. It makes you an ignorant bigot.
nac

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2012

Judged:

massenaintrest wrote:
My support for gun control has nothing to do with party affiliation.Reagan,a republican supported the Brady Bill and the assault weapons ban and he wasn't a liberal.The democrats have largely been mute on this area.Obama has not made any moves what so ever to enact any gun control legislation.To me it is not a matter of what my party believes or does,it's what I believe that matters.At one time you had a lot of pols on both sides that supported common sense gun laws.I don't think Obama has done nearly enough on gun control.I am sick of being told these regular massacres are all part of living in America.
So you think that laws that will be completely ignored by criminals and will in no way prevent future massacres is the way to go. OK, fair enough. Good luck with that. You'll need it.
Teddy R

North Vancouver, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2012

Judged:

massenaintrest wrote:
What purpose does an assault rifle have then to kill as many people as quickly as possible.It is different than a hunting rifle.
Please explain exactly how they are different. How would you draw a clear, bright-line division between the two in objective, physical, functional terms.

If one cannot do this, one cannot write meaningful, enforceable legislation or regulations that treat them any differently - and this is all just a pointless emotional rant.

Second request.
Teddy R

North Vancouver, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2012

Judged:

nac wrote:
<quoted text>
You're ignoring the obvious. The guns are here, the cat is out of the bag. Banning them will only mean that the people that wouldn't use them to harm people still won't... and the people that would use them to do harm still would. You will be no safer.
Chicago has the most strict gun laws in the nation... and you're more likely to get shot in Chicago than anywhere in the country.
Indeed.

Chicago has logged 257 homicides through the first half of the year - at this rate, they're on pace for 514 homicides in 2012.

That's over 73 Auroras - one every 5 days.

I agree this doesn't give much reason to believe exporting Chicago-style draconian gun laws nationwide is such a groovy idea - unless the reason is to serve some political agenda other than delivering greater public safety. Clearly that isn't to be expected by any objective analysis.
nac

Patchogue, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2012

Judged:

Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed.
Chicago has logged 257 homicides through the first half of the year - at this rate, they're on pace for 514 homicides in 2012.
That's over 73 Auroras - one every 5 days.
I agree this doesn't give much reason to believe exporting Chicago-style draconian gun laws nationwide is such a groovy idea - unless the reason is to serve some political agenda other than delivering greater public safety. Clearly that isn't to be expected by any objective analysis.
Yet no one looks for a solution to a consistent problem in Chicago... and many want to apply Chicago's "solution" that is an epic failure ... to the rest of the country.

Ridiculous, to say the least.
Teddy R

North Vancouver, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2012

Judged:

massenaintrest wrote:
You can also curb it by making sure certain guns and magazines aren't availabe..
With over 280 million firearms in civilian hands already in the US, it's just naive - if not downright delusional - to think it's possible to "make sure certain guns and magazines aren't available."

They're more than available, and always will be readily available to the bad guys, no matter how many laws and regulations are written, and how many hundreds of millions are wasted trying to enforce impractical laws and regs to no effect. "Making sure certain guns and magazines aren't available" is a fool's errand in the US.

You're dreaming. Get over it. That toothpaste isn't going back in the tube.

wondering

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2012

Judged:

sorry to be off topic but does anyone know the name of the new thrift type store by maryjane books in cobleskill?
massenaintrest

Ithaca, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2012

Judged:

first off no one is saying people can't own guns,allpeople want is some common sense gun laws.As for hunting and assault rifles there are clear differences.How many hunting rifles have a capacity to hold 100 round magazines,an assault rifle can be loaded much faster then a hunting rifle also,etc.During the ban anyone that wanted a rifle for hunting or security was able to get one,just not the assault types.I will say it again my right not too be killed is as constitutional as your right too own a gun.
massenaintrest

Ithaca, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2012

Judged:

NY State does have good gun laws but they are hampered by other states' lax gun laws.What is so wrong with wanting a good through background check before allowing someone to purchase a gun.And equating deaths caused by doctors,autos or anything else with gun deaths in nonsensical.A guns purpose is too kill and nothing else.As for summary execution,what a stupid idea.We are a nation of laws,to execute someone without a trial is un-american,and puts us on the same level as the murderer.Thank god we are a better nation then that.Anybody that wants a hunting rifle in NY is able to buy one legally,providing he has no criminal record.In NNY there are plenty of guns,and no one has problems getting them,they just have to fill out a little paper work and wait a day.I own guns and have never had a problem purchasing one,nor have my friends.
massenaintrest

Ithaca, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2012

Judged:

One more thing Davy Crocket did a pretty good job of hunting with a low tech rifle.
massenaintrest

Ithaca, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2012

Judged:

Nac,where do you draw the line on what can and can't be sold as weapons.If semi-automatic assault weapons are legal,why not full automatic?Is it because of the fact that their rapid rate of fire makes them more dangerous?What about the M-40,it's basically an oversized,single round shotgun.While you wouldn't make the HE or tear gas rounds available,it also fires a round filled with large bbs,and also fires a shell filled with tiny darts.What about machine guns,how come gun manufacturers can't market and sell new ones.Criminals have been able to get their hands on these,so shouldn't we all be able to get them?

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2012

Judged:

Teddy the Peddy,you calling me a bigot,now that's rich.You are always making bigoted,uninformed remarks about muslims and that Obama may be a secret one,as if being a muslim is a crime or that they don't deserve the same rights the rest of Americans do.But someone tells the truth about mormonism founders and they are a BIGOT.Could it be because of the fact that muslims are brown skinned and "different",that makes them fair game for you to make racist remarks about.Maybe tonight in bed,you and feces face should have a long talk about the bigotry running through your feeble brains.Do your research Mittens ancestor moved to Mexico for one reason and one reason only and that was to practice his perverted polygamy,because Utah had to renounce it to become a state.I know facts are foreign to you,but give em a try once in a while.
massenaintrest

Ithaca, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2012

Judged:

What about drugs,our insatiable appetite for them coupled with our insane drug laws have led to murder and mayhem all over the globe.Criminals will always be selling drugs,yet I hear no cry from the nra to legalize all drugs.Why not? It's been proven time and time again you can't win the war on drugs,yet we foolishly keep at it.If people will always have guns is sound reasoning for not restricting them,then people will always have drugs,is just as sound a reason for not restricting them.Nobody dies from mary-jane,but an AK-47 sure can kill you.

“So Sweet ;)”

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2012

Judged:

Go Rom!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 6,261 - 6,280 of16,773
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Chatham Discussions

Search the Chatham Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 59 min You are stupid 6,335
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) 1 hr Michelle 6,356
Who do you support for Comptroller in New York ... (Oct '10) Jul 20 Sham Hanutty 436
warning: rude employee at christmas tree shops (Aug '12) Jul 18 Nina 10
Why are there so many fatherless children in th... Jul 18 Nina 3
Suspect posts bail in fatal Long Beach hit-and-run (Oct '09) Jul 16 Point Lookouter 11
Fartin Martin had a dream Jul 13 Connie the Catfish 1
•••

Severe Thunderstorm Watch for Columbia County was issued at July 23 at 2:20PM EDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Chatham Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chatham People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••