Looking info on fort Mccoy Cuban Refugees 1980

Posted in the Chaseburg Forum

Since: Nov 09

Orlando, FL

#1 Nov 8, 2009
I was at fort mccoy in 1980 with the U.S. Army guarding the cuban refugees on the day thay started to Riot and pull down the fince i receved injurys and was in the hospital for over a year and had surgery 3x and now 30 years later it has gotten much much worse and i am trying to get my disability rased thay are takeing statments from my frinds a family and will take any news paper articles that i can find so i you have any old news papers with any info from then can you please e-mail,them to me thank you Sam Martin
Charles Shirley

United States

#2 Jun 21, 2010
I am also trying to receive compensation for these same riots. I was with the 511th MP company from Ft. Dix.
My partner/wingman Terry went down with head injuries on the first day and I was beat up pretty bad...
Have you had any luck on photos, stories...etc.
Mr Martin1960 wrote:
I was at fort mccoy in 1980 with the U.S. Army guarding the cuban refugees on the day thay started to Riot and pull down the fince i receved injurys and was in the hospital for over a year and had surgery 3x and now 30 years later it has gotten much much worse and i am trying to get my disability rased thay are takeing statments from my frinds a family and will take any news paper articles that i can find so i you have any old news papers with any info from then can you please e-mail,them to me thank you Sam Martin
Mr Martin1960

Orlando, FL

#3 Jul 28, 2010
Charles Shirley wrote:
I am also trying to receive compensation for these same riots. I was with the 511th MP company from Ft. Dix.
My partner/wingman Terry went down with head injuries on the first day and I was beat up pretty bad...
Have you had any luck on photos, stories...etc.
<quoted text>
I did get the news paper clippings talking about the riots thats about all, the best thing to do i get statments from ppl that know you before you went in and after talking about how you have changed the law just changed you do not have to prove what happened only that you where there if you are going for ptsd
kyle roseboro

Rochester, NY

#4 Jan 24, 2011
I too was at ft mccoy during this time period. i was with c co. 1/12 inf out of ft. carson, co. when we arrived, the place was in comlete chaos. total cluster fk, them guys were insane. castro shtted all over us. i was attacked by an escaped cuban refugee that was hiding in a tree. still have nightmares about them crzy cubans. i have been trying to get a claim recognized and approved since 1991, to no avail. any suggestions?
Sam Martin

Orlando, FL

#5 Jan 25, 2011
kyle roseboro wrote:
I too was at ft mccoy during this time period. i was with c co. 1/12 inf out of ft. carson, co. when we arrived, the place was in complete chaos. total cluster fk, them guys were insane. castro shtted all over us. i was attacked by an escaped cuban refugee that was hiding in a tree. still have nightmares about them crzy cubans. i have been trying to get a claim recognized and approved since 1991, to no avail. any suggestions?
Whats up kyle i remember you i was in your unit come to think about it we was room mates it was dwane avard, you, and me the first room on the right..........
Ric Larson

Carmel, NY

#6 Mar 21, 2012
I was with the 1/12th. Captain Peterson was our Company Commander. Dale Metzer and Nathon Brock were also in my company. Our unit was there for six weeks. The only real thing I remember was the fence being torn down and not sleeping for 3 straight days.
Sgt Mack

De Leon Springs, FL

#7 Jun 11, 2012
Wow the memories. 1775th MP C o
Capt Stull

Oronogo, MO

#8 Jul 17, 2013
Charles Shirley wrote:
I am also trying to receive compensation for these same riots. I was with the 511th MP company from Ft. Dix.
My partner/wingman Terry went down with head injuries on the first day and I was beat up pretty bad...
Have you had any luck on photos, stories...etc.
<quoted text>
I commanded the 511th MP Co. SP4 Shirley I have photos and other documents perhaps I can assist. Contact me at klstull@fastfreedom.net
Tomas Santandreu Polanco

San Francisco, CA

#9 Oct 24, 2013
I was a 16 year old Cuban refugee at Fort McCoy and I although very late, I was to said I am sorry for what happen to all of you. I was a minor and came in a boat by myself. I was treated very kinds by all of the guards and civilians working in For McCoy. Although I was safe since all of the minors were separated from the adults, there were still some minor (not really minor since they lied about their age) that came from prison.
Again, I am really sorry.
Tomas
Farr

Alexander City, AL

#11 Mar 2, 2014
Ric Larson wrote:
I was with the 1/12th. Captain Peterson was our Company Commander. Dale Metzer and Nathon Brock were also in my company. Our unit was there for six weeks. The only real thing I remember was the fence being torn down and not sleeping for 3 straight days.
HHC 1/12 I was in the support platoon ..truck driver ..the day the fence came down I was detailed to transport C comany .I remember making the left turn headed toward the main entrace of the compound and saw cubans running everywhere
LOUIS DIAZ

Deerfield, IL

#12 Jun 30, 2014
My dad was an interpreter in 1980 during the cuban refugees trying to find pictures of my dad he died during a riot at camp mccoy.
armyguy1979

Jefferson City, MO

#13 Nov 7, 2014
Ric Larson wrote:
I was with the 1/12th. Captain Peterson was our Company Commander. Dale Metzer and Nathon Brock were also in my company. Our unit was there for six weeks. The only real thing I remember was the fence being torn down and not sleeping for 3 straight days.
I was in the 1/12th too out of Fort Carson. I was guarding the gate for the kids when the adults tore down the fence trying to get to the kids. I would have been killed had it not been for the MP division shooting tear gas and forming the riot formation getting the Cubans off me. I honestly thought I was going to die.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chaseburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
3somes Nov '14 mmm47 1
looking for ed Nov '14 quick 1
Overheard a conversation about suspected Meth b... Oct '14 penisface 2
This time around Scott Walker less dominant in ... Sep '14 David Messner 2
La Crosse Longfellow Middle School student name... Sep '14 GandG STUPAK 1
Man accused of stealing car with man in trunk f... Sep '14 guest 2
unfaithul people (Sep '12) Sep '12 omg 1
Chaseburg Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chaseburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chaseburg News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chaseburg

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:07 pm PST

NBC Sports12:07PM
Buccaneers make goal-line stand, but Packers later add to lead
Bleacher Report12:33 PM
Aaron Rodgers, Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb's Post-Week 16 Fantasy Reaction
NFL12:47 PM
Playoff clinching: Packers, Steelers secure berths
NFL12:50 PM
Packers sink Bucs to earn playoff berth
NBC Sports12:54 PM
Packers knock off Buccaneers, clinch playoff spot