Earlysville Neighbors Call Meeting to Discuss Speeding Issue - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA New...

The Bleak House Road neighborhood watch has called a meeting because they're fed up with people speeding on Earlysville roads in Albemarle County. Full Story
confused

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Apr 6, 2012
what else can be done? there are people that are going to speed no matter what is posted. more traps on a regular basis will help some sure, but again, some people are still going to speed. the limits thru eville are at a snails pace now (not that i am complaining)lowering them is not going to help this issue. all of eville is the "backroads" to people trying to stay off of 29, 250, garth..ect and mostly because they are drunk, not just speeding.
confused

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Apr 6, 2012
oh oh oh and lets not forget this is the "backway" into greene co after a late night too.
Gru

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Apr 6, 2012
For people who travel that road EVERY DAY in all kinds of conditions, I do not think 45-50 mph is at all unreasonable on a clear, dry day. 55-60, yes, pushing the envelope. That IS the "secret" back way home to Greene after a night of drinking -- I'm surprised the genius revenue wh*res don't know that. And lasty, beating my dead horse -- KEEP THE HEAVY TRUCK TRAFFIC OFF OF THAT ROAD!!!
You would be shocked

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Apr 6, 2012
Come on over to Bolling Ave in the city and see how the speed limit is being obeyed.
gah

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Apr 6, 2012
confused wrote:
what else can be done?
speed bumps
understand

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Apr 6, 2012
gah wrote:
<quoted text>
speed bumps
I'm guessing that you've never actually been on Reas Ford or Bleakhouse? They are not city neighborhood roads. They are very nice, wide country roads that should just be respected.
gah

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Apr 6, 2012
understand wrote:
<quoted text> I'm guessing that you've never actually been on Reas Ford or Bleakhouse? They are not city neighborhood roads. They are very nice, wide country roads that should just be respected.
Thanks Mom.
Sorry.
reality bites

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Apr 6, 2012
Spike strips.
Bridget Mitchell

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Apr 6, 2012
Good for you! I'm in Free Union by Buck Mtn. and drivers are going about 55-60 in a 25 mph zone. I've lost a dog and 3 cats in that same area due to them being hit by cars.
Long tIme resident

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Apr 7, 2012
I'm sick of hearing complaints from transplants. I've lived here for over fifty years. I've been complaining about speeding on route 743 and the intersection at route 743 and 663; the intersection is dangerous with numerous accidents and we've had no assistance from law enfourcement. Only one time have they come out and put up the speed radar machine and we were told there's no place for them to sit and patrol for speeders. I'm also tired of picking up empty beer cans and trash thrown out of vehichles into my yard. We take our life in our hands when we are cutting grass on the side of the road because people are speeding past. You are also taking a risk when trying to get out of the driveway because of the cars that are excessively speeding. I blame our county supervisors for poor planning of subdivisions in this area. Lets not even mention the speeding that goes on in the school zone. People ignore the posted signs and to boot, I very seldom see radar traps in that area! It's not just a Bleak House Road or Reas Ford Road problem, WE all are dealing with the same problem except law enforcement only addresses those issues to those that holler the loudest....hmmm, what's up with that .
CvilleGordo

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Apr 7, 2012
Bridget Mitchell wrote:
Good for you! I'm in Free Union by Buck Mtn. and drivers are going about 55-60 in a 25 mph zone. I've lost a dog and 3 cats in that same area due to them being hit by cars.
Where is there a 25 mph zone in Free Union by Buck Mountain?
Concerned Neighbor

Charlottesville, VA

#12 Apr 8, 2012
If we're going to talk about problems in Earlysville when it comes to traffic, lets talk about Simmons Gap Rd and Buffalo River Rd. The dangers of making the turn from Simmons Gap and Buffalo River Rd that takes you towards Dyke, the number of accidents we've had there because of low visibility and the people speeding off of Buffalo River, people not stopping at the stop sign are a a major concern. The number of times I've had to replace my fence because people have hit it is too numerous to count. I would like to thank Chestnut Baptist Church for cleaning up the trash along this section of the road. The people riding through this area have no common respect for the people living in the area. Where is VDOT in this? Can we not get the Department of Transportation to access this area for improvement???? Where is Albemarle County Police?? I would like to say "thank you" (sarcasm noted) to all the people who make me feel as though I'm taking my life into my own hands when I am cutting the edges of my yard or checking my mailbox. PEOPLE SLOW DOWN AND RESPECT THE NEIGHBORHOOD!!!!

Signed,
Concerned Citizen of Earlysville
Gru

Charlottesville, VA

#13 Apr 10, 2012
gah wrote:
<quoted text>
speed bumps
They've already GOT those!! Have you driven over that botched-up "patch" job between the traffic circle & Earlysville Green? There's one section where the entire right side of your vehicle drops down a few inches! I have no problem with the 35 through there (I miss Whytes!!), but I take exception of the extension of that out past Broadus Wood when there really needs to be a STOP SIGN at the exit to that school! Are Ann Mallack & her flying monkeys going to be in attendance tonight?
Gru

Charlottesville, VA

#14 Apr 10, 2012
YOU'RE KIDDING?! I can't write m o n k e y s ??? When did THAT become a "bad word?"
Scene enough

Charlottesville, VA

#15 Apr 10, 2012
Well, I take that road everyday. I am not drunk nor do I fly as fast as I can go. The only reason I take that road is because I HATE 29. That road is a lot less stressful than 29. EVen with the speeders. But that is my opinion and I don't live there (I live in Greene). Only time I ever have a problem is when someone is going 25 in a 45. Good luck getting things changed. But just remember not EVERYBODY is drunk or speeding that comes through there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlottesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) 4 hr Jake 1,361
Suspect in Hannah Graham Disappearance Tied to ... 6 hr Max 3
Missing Persons Case Has a Few Twists (Jun '13) 7 hr Heatherstamper 5
Missing UVA Student 18 hr The Truth 14
Voices: Hannah Graham. It could have been us. Tue William 1
Friends & Supporters of Jesse Matthew Start Leg... Sep 29 Max 2
With suspect back in Virginia, search team with... Sep 28 vabrowneyes 2
Charlottesville Dating
Find my Match

Charlottesville Jobs