Harmon-Wright Found Guilty of Voluntary Manslaughter

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

Harmon-Wright is accused of fatally shooting 54-year-old Patricia Ann Cook on Feb.
Comments
1 - 20 of 32 Comments Last updated Jan 30, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Saywhatnow

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Jan 29, 2013
My guess is guilty-voluntary manslaughter 1-10 years. A max of 8.5 years on a 10 year sentence with maximum good time earned.
DID YOU HEAR THAT

Culpeper, VA

#2 Jan 29, 2013
Here come the conspiracy theorists
Confused

Charlotte, NC

#3 Jan 29, 2013
Saywhatnow wrote:
My guess is guilty-voluntary manslaughter 1-10 years. A max of 8.5 years on a 10 year sentence with maximum good time earned.
Agreed!
County Resident

Raleigh, NC

#4 Jan 29, 2013
How can you shoot at someone without malice?
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Jan 29, 2013
let's not hold him to a higher standard
Crack Scooter

Farmville, VA

#6 Jan 29, 2013
huck wrote:
let's not hold him to a higher standard
Right or wrong the law is the standard that each of us gets held to.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Jan 29, 2013
Crack Scooter wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes but the law allows for a fairly large latitude of sentencing. OAT, why are some cops allowed to get so overweight?
trouble

Fork Union, VA

#8 Jan 29, 2013
Saywhatnow wrote:
Look for a appeal then we will never hear of it again
sam charlottesville

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Jan 29, 2013
Hope this nut gets help with the ego i guess ,
Sorry to see such a waste of a life
The woman killed
Bad Cop No Donut

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Jan 29, 2013
I don't think this verdict comes as a surprise to anybody. Citizens are getting fed up with the old "I feared for my life" excuse cops throw up every time they shoot and kill somebody. It should serve as a warning to all cops that you are now going to be judged for your actions, no more free rides.
randomthoughts

Waynesboro, VA

#11 Jan 29, 2013
I don't think the sentencing will be light.

Looks to me like the sytem worked for what we have to work with .

10+ easy....But I bet they push closer to 15-20 .

This guy used his position for leverage... The sentencing should not have that luxery.

Empathy

Manassas, VA

#12 Jan 29, 2013
I am so sorry for the loss of lives here. I am sure that he did not wake up that morning and think well let me go kill someone today..he is a Veteran and it was documented that he had some issues in the past. If he served overseas in the MidEast, I have to reflect on how the soldiers are taught to react in a life threatening situation. It was a disservice for whomever covered up his past to allow him to be hired in this position because you never know how one is going to react and he did. This is a lose lost situation and I am sorry for all involved. I can't even think of how much time would be right...what a decision. I have to commend the jury on weighing the evidence and the law as it is written, it had to be a hard decision.
George S

Hartselle, AL

#13 Jan 29, 2013
Disgusting---How on earth could a deliberate act of shooting a gun multiple times for the purpose deliberately shooting another person multiple times qualify as involuntary manslaughter?

It would require a tremendous stretch of the immagination to regard this shooting as voluntary manslaughter. It is blatantly clear that this must be regarded as either first or second degree murder, period.

Yet another, all to frequent, absurdity of government flunkies turning a blind eye to each other's criminal behavior.

An innocent woman murdered by a cop, the cop gets away with it, the local and state governments pat themselves on the back for pretending to have done something about this crime, and the people of the entire state must accept this gross injustice as status quo, business as usual.
George S

Hartselle, AL

#14 Jan 29, 2013
Crack Scooter wrote:
<quoted text>
With the exveption of people in the local and state governments. They usually go unpunished, or in this case, the punishment will be nothing.
Reality

Keswick, VA

#15 Jan 30, 2013
George S wrote:
Disgusting---How on earth could a deliberate act of shooting a gun multiple times for the purpose deliberately shooting another person multiple times qualify as involuntary manslaughter?
Ask the lady on the jury that was crying.....It only takes one person on a jury to water things down significantly.
Liberalace

Charlottesville, VA

#16 Jan 30, 2013
George S wrote:
It would require a tremendous stretch of the immagination to regard this shooting as voluntary manslaughter. It is blatantly clear that this must be regarded as either first or second degree murder, period.
Yet another, all to frequent, absurdity of government flunkies turning a blind eye to each other's criminal behavior.
An innocent woman murdered by a cop, the cop gets away with it, the local and state governments pat themselves on the back for pretending to have done something about this crime, and the people of the entire state must accept this gross injustice as status quo, business as usual.
Uh, the "government" charged him with murder. The "jury" convicted him of manslaughter. Look up the standards for murder; they are pretty high. I don't think this met them, but then again I did not see all the evidence.

R.I.P.: Lee J. Cobb
GoUVa

Washington, DC

#17 Jan 30, 2013
George S wrote:
<quoted text>
With the exveption of people in the local and state governments. They usually go unpunished, or in this case, the punishment will be nothing.
Listen up brianiac...today the go into the sentencing phase. For people like you, let me explain what that means. The jury will hear more testimony, more instructions and then they will retire to the jury room to determine his punishment. Let me remind you that a jury is made up of 12 citizens of Culpeper County. They will determine whether he gets no time or up to 25 years plus a fine. This guy will bet at least 20 years because people like you aren't smart enough to be picked for a jury.
GoUVa

Washington, DC

#18 Jan 30, 2013
George S wrote:
There was no intent el dorko! You have to prove intent to convict of 1st or 2nd degree murder. I would waste my time explaining intent to you but I don't think you would understand.
MICHELLE ROSE

Richmond, VA

#19 Jan 30, 2013
ITS APPORACHING A YEAR THAT DJARD ROBINSON WAS KILLED BY A 16YR OLD AS HIS FATHER SLEPT IN THE PASSANGER SEAT..WHERE IS THE JUSTICE FOR THAT..NO ONE HAS YET TO B CHARGED AND A LIFE WAS TAKEN
Your Majesty

Madison, VA

#21 Jan 30, 2013
GoUVa wrote:
<quoted text>There was no intent el dorko! You have to prove intent to convict of 1st or 2nd degree murder. I would waste my time explaining intent to you but I don't think you would understand.
What right do you have to call people names EL DUMASS, It is a public forum, if you don't like what people say,, don't let the door hit you in your EL Dumass on the way out, Wow, what an Idiot, grow up! and by the way I could care less what you say about me, save your hot air for some one who cares,I just think its sad when an adult acts like a spoiled rotten brat kid!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charlottesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Albemarle seeks input on changing rules for rur... Aug 26 Buffalo jim 3
NAACP Urges People To Bring Cameras Wherever Ar... Aug 26 Rock 6
Another Example Of A No Tollerence Antis, This ... Aug 22 Clyde Frawg 1
Missing Persons Case Has a Few Twists (Jun '13) Aug 20 Heatherstamper 3
Fletcher Askew dermatologist, pervert Aug 19 Shantane 4
3rd man sentenced in theft of Va. Guard equipme... (May '12) Aug 18 firsthandknowledge 13
Scottsville Man Arrested for Homicide, Child Abuse Aug 13 test 1
•••
•••
•••

Charlottesville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Charlottesville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••