Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil Unions

Nov 30, 2010 Full story: CBS2 51,237

The Illinois House has approved a measure to legalize civil unions for same-sex couples.

Full Story

“Marriage equality for all”

Since: Jul 07

Illinois

#32730 May 12, 2012
no way wrote:
its not part of gods plan
The word "it's" is a contraction of it and is. "Its" is the neuter version of his or her.
The word "God" is a proper noun. As such, it should be capitalized.
A noun is possessive if a phrase can be changed to say that an item belongs to someone. In other words, the plan of God becomes "God's plan".

It's God's plan for you to quit trolling the tread for replies, Mr. Troll.

You're welcome. ;-)

“Marriage equality for all”

Since: Jul 07

Illinois

#32731 May 12, 2012
Ovomit 10 dollar a gallon wrote:
<quoted text>
you liar
the word gay came from people watching you walk
why was ovomit against same sex marriage until last week ?
when he flip flopped to get the gay vote
Do you seriously think he was against it until last week?

“laugh until your belly hurts”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#32732 May 13, 2012
no way wrote:
its not part of gods plan
um... did god tell you that it wasn't. or do you know what god was thinking?

“laugh until your belly hurts”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#32733 May 13, 2012
Marengo Jon wrote:
<quoted text>
The word "it's" is a contraction of it and is. "Its" is the neuter version of his or her.
The word "God" is a proper noun. As such, it should be capitalized.
A noun is possessive if a phrase can be changed to say that an item belongs to someone. In other words, the plan of God becomes "God's plan".
It's God's plan for you to quit trolling the tread for replies, Mr. Troll.
You're welcome. ;-)
jon... the word god is only a proper noun when it's written within the context of the english language. in fact,'proper nouns' only matter to english speakers. a good example of this is the fact, that to portuguÍs speakers and writers nationalities and country names aren't capitalised, thus you only get 'english', not 'English'. this simply means that jsut because you speak english doesn't mean that you deserve a big letter... and just because you're a god doesn't either.

not only that, but there are thousands of gods in the cosmos, so it may just be gods' plan. other than that you're spot on.:o)
keep up the good work.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#32734 May 13, 2012
TXgurl wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, KiMare, if being homosexual is a defect, then so is having any other skin color than black, any other eye color than brown, or any other hair color than black. Science has come a long way in DNA study and has traced the origin of ALL living humans back to a small tribe in Africa. We started there, and spread out all over the world. Any variation from what they look like is a genetic change from how they are, so to be different from them is to be as you say, a defect. Only 1% of the world population has red hair http://www.myredhairgene.com/ and only 10% of the population is left handed... those numbers are similar to the percentage of homosexuals which is around 2% to 4%. If you look at the natural variations that have happened to humans as we have spread out and populated the world, wouldn't it be safe to say that homosexuality is one of those natural variations?
You are confusing genetic mutations with genetic defects. Genetic variations are constantly occurring. Some are good, some are bad, and some just are. Scientists are still trying to uncover how and why sexual genetic disorders occur.

Evolution determines which mutations increase, and which decrease. Homosexuality appears extremely consistent over time. That indicates it is a naturally occurring mutation, but that it has no purpose. The aspect of defect comes in at this point. The basis of evolution is that a genetic strain increases by reproduction. This requires two things; 1. The ability to reproduce, and 2. The desire to self reproduce. Homosexuality fails on the second count. A MAJOR defect. Your response will be that gays can manufacture reproduction. First, that is a recent development that does not address thousands of years of consistent presence. Second, homosexuality shows up independently.

Now step back. You left the transgendered hanging in the wind. The severity of their situation leaves them undefendable. Because homosexuality is less severe, that exempts them from being a defect? Not reasonable or fair.

Location hidden

#32737 May 13, 2012
Marengo Jon wrote:
KiMare,
Your need to travel the denial trail is troubling. The notion that LGBT-Q's are in denial is speculative on your part. Some very well may be; many, if not most, are not.
I was in denial when I married a woman. I was in denial when I tried to pretend that my life was perfect. I was in denial every morning when I got up, got dressed, and assumed a persona so I could proceed with my day. I was playing a role, as if on stage, and it was destroying me.
The day that I looked in the mirror and admitted to myself that I was a gay man, and that it was ok, was the day that the denial stopped. And you know the funniest part? When I told my family, their universal response was "yeah, we knew".
For the past 12 years, I have been happier than I've ever been. In my wildest dreams, I couldn't have imagined the wonderful things that have happened to me.
So why do I get take issue with people here?
I'm offended when fundamental a-holes disparage homosexuals in the name of religion. This is NOT Christian behavior.
I'm offended when people who aren't in my shoes make blanket statements about homosexuals. It's naive.
I'm bothered when someone who has NO scientific evidence, yet claims to be intellectually superior to me tells me that my life is a defect.
I respect that you've attempted to answer my question, but your assertion that things "point to a genetic disorder" isn't sufficient for you to continue down that road. Shall we tell red-heads, who are 1-2% of the population that they have a genetic defect? You're also no doubt aware of the Kinsey scale. Can we assume that a Kinsey 2 has a 10% genetic defect, but a Kinsey 6 has a 100% genetic defect?
I grew up in, and worked for, a liberal denomination that said "question everything" and defeat social injustice. Whether people like it, or not, marriage equality IS a civil right. Rights aren't voted on, they are granted. You will never come to accept my marriage, because of your beliefs about gender identity and sexuality, but you don't have the right to deny me my rights.
Given your vendetta against denial, I should think that you'd be more supportive of the many LGBT-Q people (mostly my age and older) who stopped living the lie and became the people they were meant to be.
You make my point.

You wrote, "And you know the funniest part? When I told my family, their universal response was "yeah, we knew"."

Who was in denial?

You are still in denial. Yes, you admitted you are gay, but you have not admitted that it is a aberration of nature.

That is a simple fact of history, science and culture. Or succinctly put, reality. Nothing you said changes the facts I noted. You simply noted why you refused to accept it, and castigated everyone who disagrees.
john pickard

London, KY

#32739 May 13, 2012
http://youtu.be/eYaM_j5t0mI .rad 99.500 in ky.
Mona Lott

Hoboken, NJ

#32741 May 13, 2012
Cool Hand Luke wrote:
The trouble with homosexuals they fail to accept the truth! For over 5000 years homosexuals/sodomites/queers have been considered perverse and evil/abnormal.
Homosexuals have bought into their own propaganda that they are special or great and it is just another lie. Just because Hollywood and Washington have pushed the Gay Agenda, do you really think anything has changed regarding who and what your are?
The fact is if people knew the truth and the whole truth about homosexuals you would have a big problem!
By accelerating your attacks on Christians and acting as if your something to be admired you have shun a lite on yourself. Now all of those things kept hidden are coming out, the disease, the molestation and the total perversion of homosexuality.
There is only one who attacks God and you belong to him. So just like it was written 5000 years ago in the Bible your so easily scorn this is another battle between God and your master satan. Lets see how it plays out.
You know the truth and soon everyone else will also.
Uh huh....

You bring up Satan and expect to be taken seriously?...especially after all the purposeful lies you've been spreading?

It's not brain surgery to see that you have issues, dear.
Mona Lott

Hoboken, NJ

#32742 May 13, 2012
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You are confusing genetic mutations with genetic defects. Genetic variations are constantly occurring. Some are good, some are bad, and some just are. Scientists are still trying to uncover how and why sexual genetic disorders occur.
Evolution determines which mutations increase, and which decrease. Homosexuality appears extremely consistent over time. That indicates it is a naturally occurring mutation, but that it has no purpose. The aspect of defect comes in at this point. The basis of evolution is that a genetic strain increases by reproduction. This requires two things; 1. The ability to reproduce, and 2. The desire to self reproduce. Homosexuality fails on the second count. A MAJOR defect. Your response will be that gays can manufacture reproduction. First, that is a recent development that does not address thousands of years of consistent presence. Second, homosexuality shows up independently.
Now step back. You left the transgendered hanging in the wind. The severity of their situation leaves them undefendable. Because homosexuality is less severe, that exempts them from being a defect? Not reasonable or fair.
So you have the silly idea that gay people are sterile, is that it? Time to dig out your LOGIC FOR FIRST GRADERS textbook and review.
Mona Lott

Hoboken, NJ

#32743 May 13, 2012
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You make my point.
You wrote, "And you know the funniest part? When I told my family, their universal response was "yeah, we knew"."
Who was in denial?
You are still in denial. Yes, you admitted you are gay, but you have not admitted that it is a aberration of nature.
That is a simple fact of history, science and culture. Or succinctly put, reality. Nothing you said changes the facts I noted. You simply noted why you refused to accept it, and castigated everyone who disagrees.
Your OPINION that it is an "aberration of nature" is completely subjective and completely outside of mainstream Science.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#32745 May 13, 2012
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You make my point.
Who was in denial?
It's also completely irrelvant, lol, even if it were last I checked people with defects and disorders were still allowed to get married so what's your point. Prove that two consenting adults are doing any identifiable harm to the rest of society by marrying that justifies keeping marriage from them.
Barry Goldwater

Lockport, IL

#32747 May 13, 2012
Amazing that these debates continue. What a waste of energy. Two parties exploiting this debate while the Titanic worldwide economy sinks. The Republicans now have their dead weight portion of their party(Christian Right) to match the Democrats left social issues fanatics. The result is two parties without focus eating into American freedoms every day. Twelve years of unneeded war, treasury stolen by elite rich and you clowns are debating sexual orientation. If the Mayans are right and the world ends soon...it will be a mercy killing.

Location hidden

#32749 May 13, 2012
Barry Goldwater wrote:
Amazing that these debates continue. What a waste of energy. Two parties exploiting this debate while the Titanic worldwide economy sinks. The Republicans now have their dead weight portion of their party(Christian Right) to match the Democrats left social issues fanatics. The result is two parties without focus eating into American freedoms every day. Twelve years of unneeded war, treasury stolen by elite rich and you clowns are debating sexual orientation. If the Mayans are right and the world ends soon...it will be a mercy killing.
You mean we can only care about one issue at a time?

“Free your mind”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#32750 May 13, 2012
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Though you may have yourself convinced that it is a defect, you will not convince me of that. It is a variation, yes... but NOT a defect. You can go around thinking you are defective all you want, but I think that kind of belief is causing all the self hate you have, and the hate you have for gays.

Location hidden

#32751 May 13, 2012
TXgurl wrote:
<quoted text>
Though you may have yourself convinced that it is a defect, you will not convince me of that. It is a variation, yes... but NOT a defect. You can go around thinking you are defective all you want, but I think that kind of belief is causing all the self hate you have, and the hate you have for gays.
You or I can think what we want. That doesn't change the facts. You have done nothing to address those, only confirming your denial.
Nasty

Washington, IL

#32752 May 13, 2012
When your gay you are not born that way, you choose to be that way. Why is there a constant need to place blame elsewhere with your choice to be gay? Are you ashamed of what your choice was?
Mona Lott

Hoboken, NJ

#32753 May 13, 2012
Nasty wrote:
When your gay you are not born that way, you choose to be that way. Why is there a constant need to place blame elsewhere with your choice to be gay? Are you ashamed of what your choice was?
What does choice have to do with marriage eligibilty?

Location hidden

#32754 May 13, 2012
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You or I can think what we want. That doesn't change the facts. You have done nothing to address those, only confirming your denial.
What difference does it make. Defect or not, can you change or fix it? No? So should we just live the rest of our lives without having any relationships then? Is that what you are proposing? What identifiable harm is there to SSM?

Location hidden

#32755 May 13, 2012
Nasty wrote:
Gee that's funny, when I tried to choose being straight it still didn't make guys any more attractive to me. Explain how I am suppose to force that.

“Free your mind”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#32756 May 13, 2012
Nasty wrote:
Being gay is NOT a choice. When I was 11 and found myself attracted to girls instead of guys how was that a choice? I fought against my attraction to girls most of my life, even been married twice and have 3 children... but the whole time I was wanting to be with a woman, not with a man.

Tell me, oh wise one, why would someone choose to be gay? Gays are second class citizens here in the US... we are discriminated against, called names, bullied, beat up, and even murdered. Why would someone choose that???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Charleston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why won't Chris Gaines show his DD 214 4 hr Troll 50
Has public trust eroded by news of Officer Blev... (Oct '12) 8 hr LEO Official Misc... 743
National Police Misconduct Reporting Project by... (Mar '13) 20 hr Chris M Gaines 92
merv "coach" baker (Nov '11) 21 hr Chris M Gaines 9
Chrissy wants to know "who dies next" because o... 22 hr Chris M Gaines 12
The Obama Obviously Needs Impeached Sat Impeach Barry 1
Undercover Police Officers amoungst Protest mov... (Nov '13) Sat Chris M Gaines 67
Charleston Dating
Find my Match

Charleston People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Charleston News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Charleston

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:43 pm PST

NBC Sports 2:43PM
49ers grab lead just before halftime