Uniforms for Chambersburg Area School District students enter d...

When the Chambersburg Area School District goes to a two middle school system for the 2011-2012 school year, students could be wearing school uniforms. Full Story
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Wow

Mercersburg, PA

#1 Jan 12, 2010
Long overdue IMHO, when these kids enter the workforce they will have to adhere to a dress code, will also eliminate "clicks" on who is wearing what and I'm sure the teachers will appreciate not having to play babysitter saying if this or that is appropriate or not. Now if more of the school districts would follow suit.
april

Greencastle, PA

#2 Jan 12, 2010
i feel this a good thing my daughter recently went to a school in which they were to wear uniforms it then seem the kids were not focus on them selfs but was at school to learn they were aloud to wear jewery and different hair styles there uniforms was light brown knee length skirts and also pants for girls the boys wear light brown pants with whit polo shirts the shoes was light brown suade the uniform was approx $150 in which the shoes was about $70-$80 that was the ceapest year for school shopping
momof3

Chambersburg, PA

#3 Jan 12, 2010
I support uniforms 100% but this dress code should include middle school and all highschool grades not just the 9th graders.
The way these kids dress now a days is disgusting. No respect for themselves.

Uniforms will cut down on alot of issues...
concerned parent

Chambersburg, PA

#4 Jan 12, 2010
I totally support the uniform/dress code policy, but feel it would be best to implement it k-12 district-wide. If we look at children developmentally, I believe sixth graders would view it as punishment. If we begin in Kindergarten, it will just be a part of their lives from the start. The teen years are the years when students try to express themselves through what they wear. If they have been accustomed to this since Kindergarten, it won't be as big of a deal. The middle school transition has always been tough enough on many students. This may just add another reason for students to approach the transition with a negative mindset.
single and free

Mount Joy, PA

#5 Jan 12, 2010
i agree that uniforms are needed.The kids these days are dressing like bums with their ripped jeans,the crotch of their pants down to their knees and least we forget the warmer months when the females were as little as possible leaving nothing to the imagination
S S Fort Loudon

Mercersburg, PA

#6 Jan 12, 2010
they should have done it years ago. This is one of the reasons that I droped out of school. They always made fun of me because of the clothes I had to ware.
Knows too

Chambersburg, PA

#7 Jan 12, 2010
Wake up! This is smoke & mirrors to hide a dysfunctional administration.
anonymous

Chambersburg, PA

#8 Jan 12, 2010
I totally support uniforms for all the students K-12, Our sons went to a school during elementary where they had to wear uniforms-it saved money and there was never a hassle about what they were wearing. Also it saves time in the morning-no deciding what to wear!
just me

Chambersburg, PA

#9 Jan 12, 2010
I think it's the stupidest thing i've ever heard of. Think about it. When you all were young and in school, how would you have felt if the adults would have come along and said you had to wear a uniform? I'm thinking you wouldn't have liked it not one bit. Whats wrong with just saying you can't wear certain clothing? Oh and i don't believe it's going to help with disipline. Thats a crock. Disipline starts in the home not in the school. And for that matter if what is call "capital" punishment wouldn't have been takin out of the schools none of the this would even been going on right now. I'm just thinking that kids that are out of control need there butts warmed and knocked back into reality. Problem solved. Kids don't have any reason to be afraid of adults anymore. They know that nothing will happen to them, and they also know that we as adults can't do anything to them.
just me

Chambersburg, PA

#10 Jan 12, 2010
Read the piece in the paper about what just happened in Greencastle High school. Never heard of such a thing back in the 70's and 80's. Hell no, cause everyone knew that there would be a paddle waiting in the office for them.
anon

Greencastle, PA

#11 Jan 12, 2010
when I was in school, we were not allowed to wear jeans or pants. Our dresses or skirts had to be finger tip length. No shirts with writing on and no pj's. we had gym uniforms. I think that is the way it should be now. Sit at one of the schools and watch how these kids are dressed, it's awful.
momof3

Chambersburg, PA

#12 Jan 12, 2010
I wish we had uniforms when I was in school.. I remember class mates getting picked on all the time cause of what they wore. A kid getting his shoes stolen cause they were Nikes.

You need to wake up and see what is happening in our schools. You think its ok for these girls to show off what they got..their chest hanging out. sure parents can say hey don't wear that to school but they have someone on underneath. Boys walking around in their pants with them hanging down it looks like they crapped their pants. I don't want to see their boxers its disrepectful. But, Most parents don't care today. And the stores selling this stuff does not help matters.

My 13 yr old needed a dress for a dance..that was a joke..unless you want your 13 yr old looking like a "you know what".

Kids have to compete with one another.. I wear this brand you don't.. i have the latest and best cell phone you don't.

If parents won't do something about how their kids dress at least the schools can do something about it.

I mentioned earlier it should be 6th -12th..but I would also support it for ALL grades.

momof3

Chambersburg, PA

#13 Jan 12, 2010
that should say, they have something else on underneath
parent

Jersey Shore, PA

#14 Jan 12, 2010
just me wrote:
I think it's the stupidest thing i've ever heard of. Think about it. When you all were young and in school, how would you have felt if the adults would have come along and said you had to wear a uniform? I'm thinking you wouldn't have liked it not one bit. Whats wrong with just saying you can't wear certain clothing? Oh and i don't believe it's going to help with disipline. Thats a crock. Disipline starts in the home not in the school. And for that matter if what is call "capital" punishment wouldn't have been takin out of the schools none of the this would even been going on right now. I'm just thinking that kids that are out of control need there butts warmed and knocked back into reality. Problem solved. Kids don't have any reason to be afraid of adults anymore. They know that nothing will happen to them, and they also know that we as adults can't do anything to them.
I agree! All the problems in the school starts with the parents. Most around here are uneducated and as a result don't help their child to become anything better. You can think that the uniform dress code will help your district...but it won't. It's just an easy way out for teachers who have NO control of their students. Get better administrators and teachers and you might not have some of the problems. Too many teachers allow the crappy kids to run the classroom!!
Dan

Chambersburg, PA

#15 Jan 12, 2010
Knows too wrote:
Wake up! This is smoke & mirrors to hide a dysfunctional administration.
why can't it be a step to being less dysfunctional????
momma of 3

Chambersburg, PA

#16 Jan 12, 2010
oh please oh please enforce uniforms...that would save me so much money for clothes:)
Dan

Chambersburg, PA

#17 Jan 12, 2010
parent wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree! All the problems in the school starts with the parents. Most around here are uneducated and as a result don't help their child to become anything better. You can think that the uniform dress code will help your district...but it won't. It's just an easy way out for teachers who have NO control of their students. Get better administrators and teachers and you might not have some of the problems. Too many teachers allow the crappy kids to run the classroom!!
You just said the problem starts with the parents. You really think its an easy way out for teachers. You don't have a clue. The teachers aren't even allowed to correct students, and you think its easy. You are right, they have no control, but that is not there fault...THAT IS YOUR FAULT!!!!!
ITS A JOKE

Carlisle, PA

#18 Jan 12, 2010
Wow wrote:
Long overdue IMHO, when these kids enter the workforce they will have to adhere to a dress code, will also eliminate "clicks" on who is wearing what and I'm sure the teachers will appreciate not having to play babysitter saying if this or that is appropriate or not. Now if more of the school districts would follow suit.
With facebook and myspace it wont take long for the majority of students to get together and voice what they think of the uniforms in the school district. You see since the school recieves funds based on yearly student testing and the testing is NOT a part of the students grades and never will be part of the grading system, it would be disasterous if the students were to do the testing based on their like or dislike of the new dress code, wouldnt it be a shame for the school district to have nice uniforms and no state funds, I can not wait to see this happen, just another Idea that Will blow up in the CASD's faces.
Sandy

Hanover, PA

#19 Jan 12, 2010
Knows too wrote:
Wake up! This is smoke & mirrors to hide a dysfunctional administration.
Have you seen the kids and what they wear? Do you know how they behave or I should say not behave? You don't have a clue and it is getting worse by the generation. Chambersburg is turning into a true ghetto.
Agree

Hanover, PA

#20 Jan 12, 2010
I support uniforms. School is for learning not a fashion show. It will help with keeping the kids in line and it will save on the parents pockets.
They can wear what they want after school and on their parents time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chambersburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 3 hr Martin Luther 4,019
vince martz 16 hr pastor martz 14
PA Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in P... (Oct '10) Mon R Nixon 186
Former Gettysburg teacher arrested for child se... Sat Just a thought 20
car repairs (Jun '13) Sep 24 Courtney Galler 4
The American flag in the circle off McKinley st... Sep 20 ringaling 2
Debate: Ferguson - Chambersburg, PA Sep 6 Can you understand 53
Chambersburg Dating

more search filters

less search filters

Chambersburg Jobs

Chambersburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chambersburg News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chambersburg

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]