Vietnam Veterans Agent Orange Update

Posted in the Cedar Grove Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Tim

United States

#1 Jun 30, 2012
The Department of Veterans Affairs announced that nearly 230,000 claims have already been processed for the three newest Agent-Orange related conditions through June 2012, including over 150,000 claims required to be adjudicated under the order of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California in Nehmer v. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. The near completion of these complex Nehmer claims enables VA to redirect 1,200 employees who were dedicated to reviewing the Agent Orange cases toward addressing the current backlog of disability claims.“I am proud of our VA employees who worked hard to complete these Agent Orange claims, putting over $3.6 billion into the hands of our Vietnam Veterans and their survivors,” said Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric K. Shinseki.“We completed all of the Agent Orange Nehmer claims for living Veterans, and are now focusing on the fewer than 500 remaining that will benefit survivors.”
The Agent Orange claims stemmed from VA’s 2010 amendment of its regulations to add ischemic heart disease, hairy cell and other chronic B-cell leukemias, and Parkinson's disease to the list of diseases presumed to be related to exposure to the herbicide used in Southeast Asia.“While we work to transform how we do business through new processes and technology, at the end of the day it’s about taking care of our Veterans and their loved ones on the issues affecting their lives,” said Secretary Shinseki. Given the complexity of the historical casework, the Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) allocated its most experienced decision makers, about 37 percent of its rating staff, to processing Agent Orange claims. VBA’s 13 resource centers were exclusively dedicated to re-adjudicating these claims. Even with this allocation of 37 percent of the rating staff dedicated to Agent Orange claims, VA processed over 1 million disability claims in each of the last 2 years, an unprecedented number.“Incoming claims over the last ten years have nearly doubled,” said VA Under Secretary for Benefits, Allison A. Hickey.“Being able to refocus these skilled raters on the backlog is vitally important.”
In addition to redirecting its rating staff, VA has developed a comprehensive transformation plan to achieve in 2015 Secretary Shinseki's goal of completing claims within 125 days at 98 percent accuracy. The plan is built on more than 40 designed, tested, and measured people, processing, and technology initiatives. VA is now beginning the nationwide rollout of its new operating model and electronic processing system, known as the Veterans Benefits Management System (VBMS). All regional offices will be operating under the new model and using the new processing system by the end of 2013. VA has established a website, http://www.fastrack.va.gov , to assist Veterans in filing claims for the three new conditions related to the effects of Agent Orange exposure. It guides Veterans through automated, program-assisted menus to capture the information and medical evidence needed for faster claims decision. Potentially eligible Veterans include those who were exposed based on duty or visitation in Vietnam or on its inland waterways between January 9, 1962, and May 7, 1975; exposed along the demilitarized zone in Korea between April 1, 1968, and August 31, 1971; or exposed due to herbicide tests and storage at military bases within and outside of the United States.[Source: VA News Release 19 Jun 2012 ++]
CV Compton Shaw

Renton, WA

#2 Jun 30, 2012
The VA, like all Federal Agencies, is an "affirmative action" employer that does not hire based upon merit but upon race, gender, and national origin. The result is that claims examiners, often, do not have the training, education, and intelligence to appropriately, correctly, and efficiently process claims. Also, the same implies that claims of those veterans which do not fall within the political parameters of being part of an "affirmative action" protected class may face informal and/or formal discriminatory action because of these Orwellian discriminatory policies.
Tim

Carpentersville, IL

#3 Jun 30, 2012
Been there done that, well spoken.
Tim

United States

#4 Jul 1, 2012
Bad times with the VA will turn us all against them.They are rotten but it dosn't hide the fact that we are still there.
Just Wonderin

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Jul 1, 2012
Wouldn't this thread just be someone's personal grudge against the VA. Not much to do with Brookville!
Tim

United States

#6 Jul 1, 2012
This was posted as information for the many Franklin County Veterans who are dealing with problems related to exposure to agent orange.

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their nation."

- George Washington
shameonyou

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Jul 8, 2012
Just Wonderin wrote:
Wouldn't this thread just be someone's personal grudge against the VA. Not much to do with Brookville!
If you don't like it, don't read it. It's that simple. Thank you Tim for the info,
Dr Welby

Cincinnati, OH

#8 Jul 8, 2012
shameonyou wrote:
<quoted text> If you don't like it, don't read it. It's that simple. Thank you Tim for the info,
I didn't read it thank you. Just more dribble without substance. Give me the readers digest version....
Lets Go Riot

Nappanee, IN

#9 Jul 9, 2012
Dr Welby wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't read it thank you. Just more dribble without substance. Give me the readers digest version....
Maybe you would like the Larry Flynt Version on Vietnam that was delivered to your Mailbox back in the day.....
Dr Welby

Cincinnati, OH

#10 Jul 9, 2012
Lets Go Riot wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe you would like the Larry Flynt Version on Vietnam that was delivered to your Mailbox back in the day.....
How would you know about Vietnam Riot. Thought you couldn't join the vfw....
Born Again

Dubois, IN

#11 Jul 12, 2012
There are still people dying from this.
Pebbles

Salem, IN

#12 Jul 12, 2012
Just Wonderin wrote:
Yea........
What was Tim thinkin?
There are veterans in Brookville???
OMG........
Who woulda thunk that?
You be the "man of the year" !!
Thanks for the clarification......
LOL
Tim

United States

#13 Jul 12, 2012
I don't know who used my name to post remarks about Veterans. I did start the thread, I am a VN Vet and I do suffer from AO exposure. I'm proud I went when my country called. That was 40 years ago, let it be, live and learn. I'm just glad we have a military now that is all volunteers. You have to be a proud American to fight for what is right. God bless our troops. And to all VN Vets, WELCOME HOME BROTHER.
billieu23

Alexandria, VA

#14 Dec 2, 2012
lies
Let me see

Bath, IN

#15 Dec 4, 2012
Tim you have to understand Dr want to be and Just lost always have some stupid sh-t to post even when they haven't read what they are posting about as Want to be stated himself. Thank you for the info and for keeping us posted.
Just Wonderin

Chicago, IL

#16 Dec 4, 2012
Let me see wrote:
Tim you have to understand Dr want to be and Just lost always have some stupid sh-t to post even when they haven't read what they are posting about as Want to be stated himself. Thank you for the info and for keeping us posted.
well aren't you sharp as a tack. old thread with hardon for va. vets know where to go.
Let me see

Bath, IN

#17 Dec 4, 2012
Just Wonderin wrote:
<quoted text>
well aren't you sharp as a tack. old thread with hardon for va. vets know where to go.
I don't take this as a hard on for vets I took it as information for MY Vet who was in areas where the sh-t had been. I now know his heart issues might be related. Why are you such a negative toad?
Pebbles

Paoli, IN

#18 Dec 4, 2012
Let me see wrote:
<quoted text> I don't take this as a hard on for vets I took it as information for MY Vet who was in areas where the sh-t had been. I now know his heart issues might be related. Why are you such a negative toad?
Because he wasn't even born yet and cares nothing about veterans or their concerns!
Still thinks he's man of the year......
Dr Welby

Cincinnati, OH

#19 Dec 4, 2012
Actually I believe Just wondering is quite old enough, is a veteran and served in Vietnam. Not to put words in his mouth (think he is working now) but "brookville topix" isn't the place for cut and paste hate news about the va. Has nothign to do with nor should detract from a loved one getting service. Bet you are a 47 percenter and have an obama phone. Come on big government, tell me what to do......
Dr Welby

Cincinnati, OH

#20 Dec 4, 2012
And he never said hardon for vets! Read, it said "VA"......Vets know where to go for help. Check your reading comprehension!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cedar Grove Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How much more greed? 8 hr gerald greer 27
Breaking News "Grocery Boy" turns famous (May '13) 12 hr Jetta Umbrella 51
new trenton trick or treat Wed ladybug 3
Sheriff Oct 29 Sargent Pepper 9
RIP Johnie Slaten "BIG JOHN " (Jul '13) Oct 29 lee ann caldwell 13
The theater will be ready in November Oct 15 Yea 1
What happenrd to girl found in Cedar Grove dump... (Mar '14) Oct 4 Good question 2

Freeze Warning for Franklin County was issued at November 01 at 4:09AM EDT

Cedar Grove Dating
Find my Match

Cedar Grove People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Cedar Grove News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Cedar Grove

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]