|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2013

SexySassySenior wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it is NOT correct! I suggest you read what Bush's Administration came up with...and it was Bush's Administration, and a TEApublican-Majority Congress renewed it not long ago, PERMANENTLY, in 2011 or 2012, if memory serves.
"The USA PATRIOT Act of 2001 is an Act of the U.S. Congress that was signed into law by President George W. Bush on October 26, 2001. The title of the act is a ten letter acronym (USA PATRIOT) that stands for Uniting (and) Strengthening America (by) Providing Appropriate Tools Required (to) Intercept (and) Obstruct Terrorism Act of 2001.[1]""Title II is titled "Enhanced Surveillance Procedures", and covers all aspects of the surveillance of suspected terrorists, those suspected of engaging in computer fraud or abuse, and agents of a foreign power who are engaged in clandestine activities. It primarily made amendments to FISA, and the ECPA, and many of the most controversial aspects of the USA PATRIOT Act reside in this title. In particular, the title allows government agencies to gather "foreign intelligence information" from both U.S. and non-U.S. citizens, and changed FISA to make gaining foreign intelligence information the significant purpose of FISA-based surveillance, where previously it had been the primary purpose.[30] The change in definition was meant to remove a legal "wall" between criminal investigations and surveillance for the purposes of gathering foreign intelligence, which hampered investigations when criminal and foreign surveillance overlapped.[31] However, that this wall even existed was found by the Federal Surveillance Court of Review to have actually been a long-held misinterpretation by government agencies. Also removed was the statutory requirement that the government prove a surveillance target under FISA is a non-U.S. citizen and agent of a foreign power, though it did require that any investigations must not be undertaken on citizens who are carrying out activities protected by the First Amendment.[32] The title also expanded the duration of FISA physical search and surveillance orders,[33] and gave authorities the ability to share information gathered before a federal grand jury with other agencies.[34]"
justasayin

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2013

"The scope and availability of wiretapping and surveillance orders were expanded under Title II. Wiretaps were expanded to include addressing and routing information to allow surveillance of packet switched networks[35] the Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC) objected to this, arguing that it does not take into account email or web addresses, which often contain content in the address information.[36] The Act allowed any district court judge in the United States to issue such surveillance orders[35] and search warrants for terrorism investigations.[37] Search warrants were also expanded, with the Act amending Title III of the Stored Communications Access Act to allow the FBI to gain access to stored voicemail through a search warrant, rather than through the more stringent wiretap laws.[38]

Various provisions allowed for the disclosure of electronic communications to law enforcement agencies. Those who operate or own a "protected computer" can give permission for authorities to intercept communications carried out on the machine, thus bypassing the requirements of the Wiretap statute.[39] The definition of a "protected computer" is defined in 18 U.S.C. 1030(e)(2) and broadly encompasses those computers used in interstate or foreign commerce or communication, including ones located outside the United States. The law governing obligatory and voluntary disclosure of customer communications by cable companies was altered to allow agencies to demand such communications under U.S.C. Title 18 provisions relating to the disclosure of electronic communications (chapter 119), pen registers and trap and trace devices (chapter 206) and stored communications (121), though it excluded the disclosure of cable subscriber viewing habits.[40] Subpoenas issued to Internet Service Providers were expanded to include not only "the name, address, local and long distance telephone toll billing records, telephone number or other subscriber number or identity, and length of service of a subscriber" but also session times and durations, types of services used, communication device address information (e.g. IP addresses), payment method and bank account and credit card numbers.[41] Communication providers are also allowed to disclose customer records or communications if they suspect there is a danger to "life and limb".[42]"
justasayin

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2013

"Title II established three very controversial provisions: "sneak and peek" warrants, roving wiretaps and the ability of the FBI to gain access to documents that reveal the patterns of U.S. citizens. The so-called "sneak and peek" law allowed for delayed notification of the execution of search warrants. The period before which the FBI must notify the recipients of the order was unspecified in the Act the FBI field manual says that it is a "flexible standard"[43] and it may be extended at the court's discretion.[44] These sneak and peek provisions were struck down by judge Ann Aiken on September 26, 2007 after a Portland attorney, Brandon Mayfield, was wrongly jailed because of the searches. The court found the searches to violate the provision that prohibits unreasonable searches in the Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.[45][46]

Roving wiretaps are wiretap orders that do not need to specify all common carriers and third parties in a surveillance court order. These are seen as important by the Department of Justice because they believe that terrorists can exploit wiretap orders by rapidly changing locations and communication devices such as cell phones,[47] while opponents see it as violating the particularity clause of the Fourth Amendment.[48][49] Another highly controversial provision is one that allows the FBI to make an order "requiring the production of any tangible things (including books, records, papers, documents, and other items) for an investigation to protect against international terrorism or clandestine intelligence activities, provided that such investigation of a United States person is not conducted solely upon the basis of activities protected by the first amendment to the Constitution."[50] Though it was not targeted directly at libraries, the American Library Association (ALA), in particular, opposed this provision.[51] In a resolution passed on June 29, 2005, they stated that "Section 215 of the USA PATRIOT Act allows the government to secretly request and obtain library records for large numbers of individuals without any reason to believe they are involved in illegal activity."[52] However, the ALA's stance did not go without criticism. One prominent critic of the ALA's stance was the Manhattan Institute's Heather Mac Donald, who argued in an article for the New York City Journal that "[t]he furor over section 215 is a case study in Patriot Act fear-mongering."[53]

The title also covers a number of other miscellaneous provisions, including the expansion of the number of FISC judges from seven to eleven (three of which must reside within 20 miles (32 km) of the District of Columbia),[54] trade sanctions against North Korea and Taliban-controlled Afghanistan[55] and the employment of translators by the FBI.[56]

At the insistence of Republican Representative Richard Armey,[57] the Act had a number of sunset provisions built in, which were originally set to expire on December 31, 2005. The sunset provision of the Act also took into account any ongoing foreign intelligence investigations and allowed them to continue once the sections had expired.[58] The provisions that were to expire are below."
justasayin

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2013

Title II sections that were to originally expire on December 31, 2005 Section Section title
201 Authority to intercept wire, oral, and electronic communications relating to terrorism
202 Authority to intercept wire, oral, and electronic communications relating to computer fraud and abuse offenses
203(b) Authority to share electronic, wire and oral interception information
204 Clarification of intelligence exceptions from limitations on interception and disclosure of wire, oral, and electronic communications
206 Roving surveillance authority under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978.
207 Duration of FISA surveillance of non-United States persons who are agents of a foreign power
209 Seizure of voice-mail messages pursuant to warrants
212 Emergency disclosure of electronic communications to protect life and limb
214 Pen register and trap and trace authority under FISA
215 Access to records and other items under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.
217 Interception of computer trespasser communications
218 Foreign intelligence information
220 Nationwide service of search warrants for electronic evidence
223 Civil liability for certain unauthorized disclosures
225 Immunity for compliance with FISA wiretap
justasayin

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2013

On Saturday, February 27, 2010, President Barack Obama signed into law legislation that would temporarily extend for one year, three controversial provisions of the Patriot Act that had been set to expire:[178][179][180]

Authorize court-approved roving wiretaps that permit surveillance on multiple phones.
Allow court-approved seizure of records and property in anti-terrorism operations.
Permit surveillance against a so-called lone wolf, a non-U.S. citizen engaged in terrorism who may not be part of a recognized terrorist group.[181]
On May 26, 2011, President Barack Obama used an Autopen to sign the PATRIOT Sunsets Extension Act of 2011,[2] a four-year extension of three key provisions in the USA PATRIOT Act while he was in France:[3]roving wiretaps, searches of business records (the "library records provision"), and conducting surveillance of "lone wolves" individuals suspected of terrorist-related activities not linked to terrorist groups.[4] Republican leaders[184] questioned if the use of the Autopen met the constitutional requirements for signing a bill into law.[185]
whatnow

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2013

Judged:

SexySassySenior wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought you said that you're not a Mexican, like your Buddy told me that you are? If you're not, why do you keep using Mexican words in practically every Post you make?
Mexican words? Please explain.
justasayin

Lenoir, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2013

My point being, is after reading through the legislation, the "Act" as been amended more times than can be listed here. I think some are a good thing and some are a bad thing, for some of the the changes clearly were made for more uses than national security.

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2013

Judged:

whatnow wrote:
<quoted text>Mexican words? Please explain.
Naw...I don't think I want to.:)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2013

Judged:

"DNI Calls Reporting On Government Surveillance 'Reckless'."

Click here:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/06/0...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2013

Judged:

"Marco Rubio Suggests NSA Surveillance Programs Likely Here To Stay:(VIDEO)."

Click here:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/08/marc...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2013

Judged:

"Since 9/11. Life__And Surveillance__Made Easier."

Click here:
http://news.yahoo.com/since-9-11-life-surveil...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2013

Judged:

"Why Some Republicans Want Darrell Issa To Shut Up."

("The Lawmaker's fiery attacks on the Obama Administration could squander a perfectly good scandal.")

Click here:
http://theweek.com/article/index/245290/why-s...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2013

Judged:

"NSA Prism Data Mining Is All Up In Ur Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Facebook, PalTalk, AOL, Skype, YouTube, Apple:(UPDATE)."

Click here:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/06/nsa-...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2013

Judged:

My Heart just breaks for this entire Family!
----------
"Iraq Vet, Green Beret Shot And Killed By Four-Year-Old Son."

Click here:
http://aattp.org/iraq-vet-green-beret-shot-an...
who cares

Hixson, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2013

who cares anyway
Bumpy Poo

Iraq

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2013

who cares wrote:
who cares anyway
who cases about what?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2013

Judged:

People, think about this in a rational way.

I'm all for Civil Liberties, much more than you TEApublicans are. But, I don't want another 9/11, nor another Boston Marathon-stye bombing. As long as that Threat exists, I'm more than willing to let the Gov't. or anybody else monitor my phone calls or anything else I do or say, if it will keep that from happening, again.
Having the Gov't. know who I call and who calls me...or listenng to my boring conversatons, is a small price that I will willing pay to protect my, and Others', Life...and I feel that I am getting a bargain!
In ordinary times, my feeling would be...if I'm not doing anything wrong, what business is it of the Gov't.'s who talk to or who talks to me. But, these are NOT ordinary times!
If you aren't a Threat to this Nation, or it's People, and you're not doing anything wrong or illegal, why would you care, under the circumstances?
I see the opportunity for abuse of this Policy, but I don't believe that's happened, yet. If and when it does, that's the time to get irate and take action, but not now, when we need all the protection we can get, in any way we can get it!

Use alittle Common Sense!

“IMNTBHO”

Since: Dec 10

On The Road Again

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2013

Judged:

SexySassySenior wrote:
<quoted text>
You're the Sick Psycho that sued me and practically every County Dept. we have, and LOST them ALL, aren't you, Sue Baby?
You're needing money badly right now to appeal a Criminal Charge that you were found Guilty of, and you're trying to set somebody up for another Frivilous Lawsuit, to get that money, aren't you?
They don't call you "Sue Baby" for nothing!
I told you to leave me alone and DO NOT TALK TO ME, OR ABOUT ME! I won't keep telling you to STOP STALKING AND HARASSING ME!
Funny, you talk about my videos, which means you have obviously viewed them. You also saw the guy that sued you in court, so you know we are not the same person. Yet you continue to spew the same type libelous crap that got you in that courtroom in the first place.

I do not have to leave you or anyone else alone. If you don't like my calling you on your lies then you can leave and make most of the posters on this entire forum happy. And I mean leave with all of your many registered and unregistered screen names.

You are the most hated person on here and you know that. It is your goal to be hated and to prove that you are the dumbest, ugliest(inside and out), most arrogant imbecile in the history of the internet. You have achieved that goal so you should be happy.
Jillian

Jacksonville, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2013

Judged:

NTMD8OR wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny, you talk about my videos, which means you have obviously viewed them. You also saw the guy that sued you in court, so you know we are not the same person. Yet you continue to spew the same type libelous crap that got you in that courtroom in the first place.
I do not have to leave you or anyone else alone. If you don't like my calling you on your lies then you can leave and make most of the posters on this entire forum happy. And I mean leave with all of your many registered and unregistered screen names.
You are the most hated person on here and you know that. It is your goal to be hated and to prove that you are the dumbest, ugliest(inside and out), most arrogant imbecile in the history of the internet. You have achieved that goal so you should be happy.
Yes sir. You hit the nail on the head, she must have watched every video you've ever made about 80 times each. If I were to guess, I'd bet she uses close to 130 names on here.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 9, 2013

Judged:

"U.S., Company Officials: Internet Surveillance Does Not Indiscriminately Mine Data:(VIDEO)."

Click here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

23 Users are viewing the Carthage Forum right now

Search the Carthage Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 6 min Zeke 8,972
Bridge Opening 2 hr bethere 47
stupid people 11 hr oneofmany 2
Smith Co Fair 11 hr youshouldgo 2
Jana Blair on Meth?????? 12 hr yepp 4
where to get a good massage 15 hr Inconvienent Truth 3
smith county farmers market 15 hr Ha Ha 7
•••
•••
•••
•••

Carthage Jobs

•••