Comments
1 - 20 of 23 Comments Last updated Jun 27, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Carl the truth Williams

United States

#1 Jun 6, 2012
Your thoughts on Tuesdays debate? I feel Taylor won followed by Abernathy "send the drugs to Polk County" then Tidwell. Lewis didn't have a good night at all an Bearden was, well, Bearden!
Katherine

Cartersville, GA

#2 Jun 6, 2012
Wow... Bartow County is in trouble. All nice people but none highly qualified.(1) Tony Tidwell = county employee with no business background, no management experience, not conservative, very uninformed.(2) Tracy Lewis = Hard worker but not sure she has the ability to run an operation as large as BC.(3) Steve Taylor = questionable background. As member of board of directors of Unity Bank, Taylor voted to approve the loans that went bad and sunk the bank. Also a key member of the Joint Development Authority who built the still empty 750 acre business park on Cass-White Road which was draining the county coffers and had to be bailed out with almost $20 million of our SPLOST dollars so they could sell the property at a loss.(4) Michael Abernathy = Great guy, hard worker who would try to do the right thing. Has management experience with business units larger than Bartow government, but Michael lacking knowledge in many areas of county operations.(5) Michael Bearden = Probably most talented & most conservative of bunch and like Abernathy has managed business units larger than BC. However Michael moved from here and lived in other parts of state for about 30 years before moving back. That could be a good thing or bad thing depending on your view. If election were today I would have to chose between one of the two Michaels.
Debate Watcher

Cartersville, GA

#3 Jun 7, 2012
I agree with Katherine that Bearden has the most experience and knowledge of what we need for smart growth in the future. He also appears to be the only one unafraid to be a conservative and say no to a new tax (TSPLOST).

As far as his leaving Bartow County for 30 years...this place is growing, and there is no way that most of the people currently here are locals who never left. I think the fact that Bearden left and came back is a huge positive. After all, if you have only seen things from an inside Bartow County perspective, it is hard to think outside the box or avoid the problems other counties (like Cobb, Paulding and Gwinnett) have faced as they exploded in growth. Bartow County is just about the only place near metro Atlanta that has not exploded in growth, so we have to be prepared so we don't wind up with the same problems.

I know a lot of people who aren't from here who have no idea who some of those folks on the stage are, who their families are, and who are tired of the perception of the "good old boy" network running things with no input from regular folks. Yes, they are all from here, but that isn't what a lot of newcomers and younger voters will be looking for. This place is changing, it is time some people acknowledge that "business as usual" is over and we may finally have a break in the control that some elements of the community have exercised over all levels of government and media in this town.
Carl the truth Williams

United States

#4 Jun 7, 2012
Debate watcher, you make some valid points. Let me pose a question to you though. You mention the "good old boy" system like its a bad thing. If the county has been ran in the past by that system an we are the only county near metro Atlanta that has NOT exploded with growth, we have preserved green space, our water system is top notch an we are in a perfect position to attract major industry because of our current leadership, is that not truly a good thing? Just asking
JustnKce

Cartersville, GA

#5 Jun 7, 2012
Bearden has a problem relating to people. Most avoid him. No chance.
Debate Watcher

Cartersville, GA

#6 Jun 7, 2012
We need the jobs, and there is nowhere left for people to grow.

LakePoint, if it really comes, will bring more than enough to handle for the future.

Do we want someone who knows how to handle the growth in order to avoid the problems, or someone who knows only Bartow County?

People who aren't from here do not understand the attachment to the same old crowd being in control. I'm telling you, this county isn't made up of just lifelong residents any more. It is time that those who have been here a long time see that and embrace it...unless you want to be known like Floyd County, where you aren't accepted unless you were born there, are a doctor, or work at one of the universities. Do we really want to be that way?

People are tired of the "good old boy system". The only people that like it are those who are part of it and want to hang on to the control they get out of it. Clarence has done a good job, but times are changing around here.
Carl the truth Williams

United States

#7 Jun 7, 2012
I certainly agree that Clarence has done a good job! The point I'm trying to make is if you feel he has done a good job an the "good ole boys" have been running the county along with him then they must have done a good job as well. I do not feel there is a good ole boy system, may be perceived that way but regardless of who the next Commisioner is the same community leaders will an should be involved in alot of the decsion making. As a business/community leader it's in their best interest to keep Bartow beautiful so to speak an work tirelessly to attract an retain the best industry an jobs for this county.
Debate Watcher

Cartersville, GA

#8 Jun 7, 2012
No good old boy system? You must be joking...
de-baiter

Rome, GA

#9 Jun 7, 2012
had the good old boy system done some planning back years ago and made provisions for sewage, we would be far better poised to attract some class industry and jobs. Bearden is probably the smartest of them by far.
Get Real

Rome, GA

#10 Jun 7, 2012
No good ol boy system.

Count the number of Millsaps working at BCSO
Think why we have not boomed while North Cobb, Paulding, North and Middle Cherokee, and Forsyth have, and Bartow has better Interstate access.
Think how many old fat cats would still be Department Heads if there wasn't a buyout in 2009.
The truth of it is Steve Taylor will be commissioner, Millsap will be Sheriff, Stewart will be Tax Comm., and Scoggins will be Clerk of Court. Why? Because, that is what the old boys want to keep this place the same as it has been since the 1970's.
Becoming like Floyd County, hell we are worse than Floyd County.

The status quo is not working!
Get out and vote and get this county moving in the right direction
Katherine

Cartersville, GA

#11 Jun 7, 2012
They want Taylor because he knows where all the bodies are buried and will keep them buried. Several local families have gotten rich off of Bartow County and they don't want to lose that gravy train.
Boyd Crowder

United States

#12 Jun 7, 2012
Get Real. The same as its been since the 70's? Is that not a good thing? I am not aveliated with the "good ole boy" system but If that's what we have here it seems to be working well. Clarence an whom ever the rest of the good ole boys are have done a heck of a job for this County.
Get Real

Rome, GA

#13 Jun 7, 2012
And how long have you been a customer at Taylor's
How much fishing on Weiss have you done with Millsap
Gracie

Cartersville, GA

#16 Jun 7, 2012
My vote goes to Taylor. Lewis might as well throw in the towel because folks all over town are mad about the comment she made at the debate in reference to EMS being a burden. My vote for clerk will without question go to Scoggins. Why not? She did Bell's job when she worked there so she already knows how.
For real

Cartersville, GA

#17 Jun 7, 2012
Did any of you people watch the same debate I watched? I had my mind made up on a candidate until Tuesday. Taylor represented himself as I would want this county represented. He faced and confronted all the issues head on. I am now voting for someone else, Taylor!
Really

Cartersville, GA

#18 Jun 7, 2012
Taylor didn't answer the TSPLOST question.

He isn't commissioner, so he is allowed to take a position.
Martha

Cartersville, GA

#19 Jun 8, 2012
(1) The Rollins clan and the anti-road Nazis have Taylor signs plastered all over their properties. (2) I'll bet my left breast that the Rollins' clan has spent some money at Taylor Farm Supply in an effort to swing him their way against the road. If so then his vote has already been sold.
Gracie

Cartersville, GA

#20 Jun 9, 2012
Will there be a clerk of court debate???
Fletcher

Cartersville, GA

#22 Jun 9, 2012
Gracie, what would they debate? I can file records better than you can?
Gracie

Cartersville, GA

#23 Jun 10, 2012
I really hate to tell you Fletcher, but there is lots more to that job than filing records. I don't need a debate, I just wondered if there would be one.... Scoggings has had my vote from day one.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cartersville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
1270 - Off The Air 5 hr RAB 215
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 5 hr Synergy 53,257
Whodini is coming live to grand theater down town 17 hr Tom Tom 27
Decent Mechanics? 21 hr Me Can X 10
Rumors circulate around Euharlee shooting (Feb '14) 22 hr Insider 1,239
Where's the horny women (Nov '11) Fri mike 47
Review: Cartersville Dental Group - Karen P Wis... (Jul '11) Thu Disgusted 66
•••

Cartersville News Video

•••
•••

Cartersville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000