Torrance home-invasion robber gets 55 years in prison

Full story: Daily Breeze 24
Torrance Superior Court Judge Hector Guzman said he was giving Elvin Worthey the maximum punishment because of Worthey's lengthy criminal record and his "separate acts done to humiliate and terrorize the ... Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Good Riddens

United States

#1 Jan 13, 2009
"As he was led from the courtroom, Worthey yelled to his supporters" Desperate cry for help. Feeble attempt from his lawyer will will end in failure.
For common sense

Bethpage, NY

#2 Jan 14, 2009
He has supporters????
Poco Loco

Long Beach, CA

#3 Jan 14, 2009
"But Worthey's attorney, Deputy Public Defender Samuel Leonard, said giving his client the maximum sentence would lead criminals to kill, since it would send the message that there is no incentive to leave witnesses behind"

WHAT??
What about sending the message that if you get F*** around, you may not see the streets again
Amazing

Glendale, CA

#5 Jan 14, 2009
Public Defenders like Samuel Leonard are some of the lowest people on earth. Knowing your client is guilty, yet making up lies and excuses, putting the good guys on the defensive and trying to make an evil, guilty suspect the victim in an effort to fool a jury. I don't know how public defenders live with themselves.
k from soutthbay

United States

#7 Jan 14, 2009
If the victim was a woman and Worthey had raped her instead of only tying the vic up at gun point and leave him unter the bed...he would have gotten 7-10 years and been out in 3.
King BOBby

Torrance, CA

#8 Jan 14, 2009
I understand what the public defender was talking about. It is harder to get arrested if there are no witnesses. With the public defender's comment, it makes it sound like the defendent was capable of murder though.

Public defenders can sleep very well at night. I do not know why you guys are bashing them for helping people. Sure some of these people are guilty, but some of them are also innocent or not guilty of all charges.
Average Jane

Santa Monica, CA

#9 Jan 14, 2009
Excellent job, Judge Guzman!!! Thank you for keeping us safe by "throwing the book at this animal. He'll spend the next 55 years right where he belongs. Thanks again.
Average Jane

Santa Monica, CA

#11 Jan 14, 2009
Amazing wrote:
Public Defenders like Samuel Leonard are some of the lowest people on earth. Knowing your client is guilty, yet making up lies and excuses, putting the good guys on the defensive and trying to make an evil, guilty suspect the victim in an effort to fool a jury. I don't know how public defenders live with themselves.
Most public defenders are not respectable human beings. How they can live with themselves is beyond me.
Suspicious

Walnut, CA

#14 Jan 14, 2009
So, this public defender is basically saying, he could have killed this guy but he didn't. He should be rewarded for making a great decision of not committing murder." Public defenders are special creatures, more often than not, good at what they do, but they must have the cloudiest and dirtiest consciences because there is no way that I, in the criminal justice field, could have ever defended someone who has done such a thing and then find a made-up lining to celebrate! Good job Torrance Judge. Torrance don't mess around!
F this guy

United States

#16 Jan 14, 2009
My uncle was robbed at gunpoint in Torrance with his whole family at home. They stole a bunch of his jewelry etc. Shook up my little cousins pretty bad. Glad this mother|=U..c...k...e...r is going to jail. hope they find more of these low lifes. GJ police
Redondo Clark

Santa Clarita, CA

#17 Jan 14, 2009
Put that worthless POS away for good . He is a LOOSER >>>
Community Member

Simi Valley, CA

#18 Jan 14, 2009
Good job police officers, prosecutors, judge, witnesses and everyone involved in putting this criminal behind bars for a long time.
joe momma in turlock

Modesto, CA

#19 Jan 14, 2009
......have funn in prison FOOLIO..
Prophet

Downey, CA

#20 Jan 14, 2009
Community Member wrote:
Good job police officers, prosecutors, judge, witnesses and everyone involved in putting this criminal behind bars for a long time.
Well Said!!!
STEVE

Tucson, AZ

#21 Jan 14, 2009
55 YEARS IS A START I HOPE HE DOES IT ALL AND HAS A BAD TIME EVERY DAY! TERRORIZED EVEN!
STEVE

Tucson, AZ

#22 Jan 14, 2009
LET THESE S*C*U*M*B*A*G*S* LIVE WITH THE PUBLIC DEFENDERS FAMILY, THEN SEE HOW MANY LIES THE TELL TO GET THEM OFF!!! THIS GUY WILL APPEAL AND BE OUT IN 7 YEARS AFTER HE PLEADS TO SOMETHING LIGHTER!!
STEVE

Tucson, AZ

#23 Jan 14, 2009
HE WOULD HAVE DIED IF HE CAME TO MY HOUSE WHEN I WAS HOME!
music

Northridge, CA

#24 Jan 14, 2009
55 years, GOOD ! He deserves every second.
STACWODAHS

Tucson, AZ

#25 Jan 14, 2009
BOO HOO WE WILL MISS HIM SO MUCH! HOW CAN WE LIVE WITHOUT SUCH A CLASS ACT!
SHAKING MY HEAD

United States

#26 Jan 14, 2009
Redondo Clark wrote:
Put that worthless POS away for good . He is a LOOSER >>>
I don't understand people like that either. Wouldn't it have been easier to get an education, not necessarily a Ph.d but something?? Couldn't have done 30 years on a civil service job and gotten a retirement instead of 55 years in a cage with no retirement. Somehow, this guy's concept of math just doesn't sustain.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 9 hr Judith Feinberg 19,478
11-7-14 Michael Brown’s mother may face felony ... 14 hr Ronald 2
Los Angeles protests muted after grand jury ann... 19 hr Zak 1
Winners and losers under Obama's immigration plan Mon Long Doc 4
Torrance Music Thread (Apr '14) Mon Musikologist 2
people in military bases in France in the sixties (Mar '07) Sun philsfo 3,153
Adopt-a-family for Christmas (Dec '08) Nov 23 tabitatoney 49

Fire Weather Watch for Los Angeles County was issued at November 24 at 1:48PM PST

Carson News Video

Carson Dating
Find my Match

Carson People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Carson News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Carson

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:23 am PST