Man killed in oilfield accident near Artesia

Full story: KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico

The Eddy County Sheriff's Department is investigating an industrial accident that killed a man in an oilfield east of Artesia.
Comments
41 - 56 of 56 Comments Last updated Jun 6, 2012
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
WorkingStiff

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#45
Mar 7, 2012
 

Judged:

3

2

1

Stoner wrote:
<quoted text>
Snitch Ratfuck Squealer !
If you want to smoke your brains away - I couldnt care less. But I would turn you in in a heartbeat on a rig if I was on it, shit for brains!

Since: Feb 09

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#46
Mar 7, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Stoner wrote:
<quoted text>
Snitch Ratfuck Squealer !
hey you dumb mfker.....im tired of you druggies getting away with it....i covered it up many times in the past 30 years...no more....if i see you or know of you doing drugs on the job or working somewhere ....your ass is mine....we clean workers are tired of carrying your lazy toker asses....
Luke

Tacoma, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#47
Mar 19, 2012
 
I am looking to hire several Oil Field electricians. Please contact me if you are interested.

My email is lzancanaro@clp.com
wondering

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#48
Mar 22, 2012
 
Can any of you drillers get me on a rig I have been trying for awhile not but I have had no luck I have apps in at silver oak, mcvay and jw drilling already if that helps any
give it a break

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#49
Mar 24, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Its funny how alot of you bash the drilling rigs. Not all people who work out here are on drugs. And yall are stupid to think ppl kill each other out here. The people you work with are like your second family. You look out for each other and become like brothers. Drugs are at any kind of job out there, just like everything else yall try to make drilling rigs out to be. Every profession has there crackheads, drunks, meth heads. You make good money out here and most of the guys do it for their familys or to have nice stuff. Don't label everyone out here as dumb, unsafe drug addicts. This is the new age oilfield, its safer and more people are trained thru classes and courses. Also alot less drug addicts with drug testing and most people out here dont want to work with people high on drugs. Me and my crew try to go home the way we came, with all our fingers and toes. So all you horror stories are over exaggerated. We are just like everyone else, we work hard and make more money than most of you people with degrees. Don't Hate on us. If you dont got it, get out. Go work at wendy's or Mcdonald's , where you'll find way more drug addicts than on my rig.
wondering

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50
Mar 25, 2012
 
give it a break wrote:
Its funny how alot of you bash the drilling rigs. Not all people who work out here are on drugs. And yall are stupid to think ppl kill each other out here. The people you work with are like your second family. You look out for each other and become like brothers. Drugs are at any kind of job out there, just like everything else yall try to make drilling rigs out to be. Every profession has there crackheads, drunks, meth heads. You make good money out here and most of the guys do it for their familys or to have nice stuff. Don't label everyone out here as dumb, unsafe drug addicts. This is the new age oilfield, its safer and more people are trained thru classes and courses. Also alot less drug addicts with drug testing and most people out here dont want to work with people high on drugs. Me and my crew try to go home the way we came, with all our fingers and toes. So all you horror stories are over exaggerated. We are just like everyone else, we work hard and make more money than most of you people with degrees. Don't Hate on us. If you dont got it, get out. Go work at wendy's or Mcdonald's , where you'll find way more drug addicts than on my rig.
does you rig need any hands
WorkingStiff

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#51
Mar 26, 2012
 

Judged:

1

give it a break wrote:
Its funny how alot of you bash the drilling rigs. Not all people who work out here are on drugs. And yall are stupid to think ppl kill each other out here. The people you work with are like your second family. You look out for each other and become like brothers. Drugs are at any kind of job out there, just like everything else yall try to make drilling rigs out to be. Every profession has there crackheads, drunks, meth heads. You make good money out here and most of the guys do it for their familys or to have nice stuff. Don't label everyone out here as dumb, unsafe drug addicts. This is the new age oilfield, its safer and more people are trained thru classes and courses. Also alot less drug addicts with drug testing and most people out here dont want to work with people high on drugs. Me and my crew try to go home the way we came, with all our fingers and toes. So all you horror stories are over exaggerated. We are just like everyone else, we work hard and make more money than most of you people with degrees. Don't Hate on us. If you dont got it, get out. Go work at wendy's or Mcdonald's , where you'll find way more drug addicts than on my rig.
Agree,

Work with toolpushers, drillers, mudmen, coiled tubing and WC specialists and all have been nothing short of very motivated, intelligent, work oriented, strong minded, safety conscious individuals.

The problem as I see it is there is a lack of a skilled workforce but contractors need warm bodies. The druggies and loosers are usually weeded out and smoked pretty quickly.(no pun intended)

Since: Feb 09

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#52
Mar 26, 2012
 
WorkingStiff wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree,
Work with toolpushers, drillers, mudmen, coiled tubing and WC specialists and all have been nothing short of very motivated, intelligent, work oriented, strong minded, safety conscious individuals.
The problem as I see it is there is a lack of a skilled workforce but contractors need warm bodies. The druggies and loosers are usually weeded out and smoked pretty quickly.(no pun intended)
true..but the oilfields have a long way to go...ive seen people fired in the mines for not wearing their safety glasses and also for not using lock out tag out....these two are not enforced on the rigs as they should....i wear fr coveralls most of the time but lots of people dont...no big deal...but something could happen and people get burned....they do enforce the hard had and steel toe requirements mostly although ive seen company men walking around the platform and location in pajamas and slippers....when people go into the pits the electricity and equipment should be locked out and the pits tested for confined space and permits made out....now when people are doing drugs on the job then that only makes things worse....the first time i had seen cocaine was guys running lines on top of a dielsel service blade....they cut open the end of a tube of shot for ramset guns and thougout the bullets and began snorting it....i had no idea what they were doing and got up and asked them...i went back and sat down and shut up for 17 years while guys did drugs at work....not wanting to get them in trouble...nobody got hurt because of this to my knowledge but if someone had i would have been very upset i my inactions...
WorkingStiff

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#53
Mar 26, 2012
 
Surprised to hear. If you dont LOTO then that is an accident just waiting to happen and the responsible electrician / company man needs to go IMO. When you get a simple Rigpass, thats just basic fundamental stuff they teach you but I guess every company enforces it differently until you have an incident. PPE has always been enforced strictly everywhere I have been and I dont care for wearing hardhats inside the cabin but I have always had too.

I believe LOTO and PPE is more rigid offshore (even before Macondo) because I guess of the higher liability offshore and also former MMS regs are/were stricter and audited more frequently than TRC and whatever NM's auditing enforcing equivalence is.
WorkingStiff

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#54
Mar 26, 2012
 
ellvis wrote:
<quoted text>true..but the oilfields have a long way to go...ive seen people fired in the mines for not wearing their safety glasses and also for not using lock out tag out....these two are not enforced on the rigs as they should....i wear fr coveralls most of the time but lots of people dont...no big deal...but something could happen and people get burned....they do enforce the hard had and steel toe requirements mostly although ive seen company men walking around the platform and location in pajamas and slippers....when people go into the pits the electricity and equipment should be locked out and the pits tested for confined space and permits made out....now when people are doing drugs on the job then that only makes things worse....the first time i had seen cocaine was guys running lines on top of a dielsel service blade....they cut open the end of a tube of shot for ramset guns and thougout the bullets and began snorting it....i had no idea what they were doing and got up and asked them...i went back and sat down and shut up for 17 years while guys did drugs at work....not wanting to get them in trouble...nobody got hurt because of this to my knowledge but if someone had i would have been very upset i my inactions...
As far as having the cokeheads getting high on the job, yeah, thats pretty scary and wouldnt want to be in your shoes. Glad I was never in that situation.
EDF

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#55
Apr 7, 2012
 

Judged:

1

give it a break wrote:
Its funny how alot of you bash the drilling rigs. Not all people who work out here are on drugs. And yall are stupid to think ppl kill each other out here. The people you work with are like your second family. You look out for each other and become like brothers. Drugs are at any kind of job out there, just like everything else yall try to make drilling rigs out to be. Every profession has there crackheads, drunks, meth heads. You make good money out here and most of the guys do it for their familys or to have nice stuff. Don't label everyone out here as dumb, unsafe drug addicts. This is the new age oilfield, its safer and more people are trained thru classes and courses. Also alot less drug addicts with drug testing and most people out here dont want to work with people high on drugs. Me and my crew try to go home the way we came, with all our fingers and toes. So all you horror stories are over exaggerated. We are just like everyone else, we work hard and make more money than most of you people with degrees. Don't Hate on us. If you dont got it, get out. Go work at wendy's or Mcdonald's , where you'll find way more drug addicts than on my rig.
I agree with most of what you said but disagree with you on downing people who work fast food ,alot that work fast food do not do drugs,some fast food resteraunts through out the the us do drug testing ,so do some conveneince stores do back ground checks & drug testing actually some Mc Donalds people make more than people at walmart ,should say pay more & get raises where alot of places dont give raises but im sure you do make more in the oil fields .
Richard Nixon

Carlsbad, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#56
Apr 8, 2012
 
EDF wrote:
<quoted text>I agree with most of what you said but disagree with you on downing people who work fast food ,alot that work fast food do not do drugs,some fast food resteraunts through out the the us do drug testing ,so do some conveneince stores do back ground checks & drug testing actually some Mc Donalds people make more than people at walmart ,should say pay more & get raises where alot of places dont give raises but im sure you do make more in the oil fields .
You just stay right there where you are buddy and keep giving the burger flippers a strong leg to stand on!
WorkingStiff

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#57
Apr 12, 2012
 
EDF wrote:
<quoted text>I agree with most of what you said but disagree with you on downing people who work fast food ,alot that work fast food do not do drugs,some fast food resteraunts through out the the us do drug testing ,so do some conveneince stores do back ground checks & drug testing actually some Mc Donalds people make more than people at walmart ,should say pay more & get raises where alot of places dont give raises but im sure you do make more in the oil fields .
I tip my hat to anyone that gets of their duff and works an honest job wherever doing whatever. One of my first jobs was working at Church's Chicken and it was not easy. I was also a cook at a steakhouse and started there as a dishwasher / busing tables. Tough tough jobs. And when / if I retire, I want to get a job sweeping floors or maybe a forklift operator , something part time. Working is really good for the soul.

Since: Aug 11

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#58
Apr 12, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

WorkingStiff wrote:
<quoted text>
I tip my hat to anyone that gets of their duff and works an honest job wherever doing whatever. One of my first jobs was working at Church's Chicken and it was not easy. I was also a cook at a steakhouse and started there as a dishwasher / busing tables. Tough tough jobs. And when / if I retire, I want to get a job sweeping floors or maybe a forklift operator , something part time. Working is really good for the soul.
I agree! Hard work never hurt anyone. If it's a job at McDonalds or a job roughnecking, it's still a job and I have done both. A lot of us seem to forget that a job is a job, no matter the title.
SSBN 632....

Since: Aug 11

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#59
Apr 12, 2012
 
wondering wrote:
Can any of you drillers get me on a rig I have been trying for awhile not but I have had no luck I have apps in at silver oak, mcvay and jw drilling already if that helps any
Try putting your name and number up at laundry mats. Make sure you put your experience on your post too. There will be a post it board at most of them. Also drive out to the rigs if you can. Talk to the drillers and leave your name and number. Got my job that way!
Michi23

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#60
Jun 6, 2012
 
Tool Pusher wrote:
I didn’t know Kevin Scheuerman but my prayers go out to him and his family.
I also don’t know what happened on that rig, but I do know this…………………More than half of the roughnecks working on the rigs are wanted felons or ex felons.
I've worked on oil and gas rigs before and if someone doesn't like you; they could very easily kill you and make it look like an accident. Many of them have jail house tattoos, anger issues, problems with authority, a violent history, and substance abuse challenges.
To work on these oil and gas rigs you must pass random drug tests. Many former drug addicts are just as dangerous if not more dangerous when they are off the drugs and clean. They are much more dangerous because they go through withdrawals and have violent tempers making the already dangerous environment even more lethal for everyone.
If I was investigating this accident I would look at employment records in regards to who has been hired to take the deceased's position, see when he originally applied. Look at phone records of all people in that crew and rig in the weeks prior to the accident and see if I can make a connection between them and the new employee. If there’s a connection I can easily solve the rest of the puzzle.
I would also interview the casing crews to see what their view of the crew in question is, interview family members of the crew, look at previous drug charges, do a much more sophisticated drug test, and even a psychological test on that crew, etc. etc.
This could’ve been an accident.
This could’ve been a murder.
Or this could’ve been a murder made to look like an accident.
I don’t know but I do know this. Finding jobs on these rigs are very scarce right now and the competition to get on and stay on is very fierce.
. You think all who have felonies are bad or what? Careful my husband. Is a felon and from 25 years ago he is a very hard worker extremely kind he is so easy going not a hot head atl! He would help anyone he works in the oilfield.! Have you stopped to think about how illlegal immagrants are working on rigs?hummmm

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

27 Users are viewing the Carlsbad Forum right now

Search the Carlsbad Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Disease at FLETC Internment Camp 25 min Artisian 59
Granger Stacey 3 hr Looking 11
Review: Red Barn Cleaners 6 hr Ewu said it 3
dr robert pendrak 8 hr upset 7
Izzy Johnson (Jun '09) 8 hr NewMex 5
Say it in six words (Jul '08) 20 hr islandstory 8,451
childolester gets 2 15yr olds and a 14 yr old p... 22 hr Sara 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Carlsbad Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Carlsbad People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Carlsbad News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Carlsbad
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••