It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate

Full story: Asheville Citizen-Times

I would like to respond to the letter 'Recent letter offered no examples of Darwinian disingenuousness,' . He responds to an article with, 'He says evolution is 'so riddled with holes,' yet fails to provide a ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 136,248 Comments Last updated 7 hrs ago
First Prev
of 6813
Next Last
andy

Athens, GA

#1 Mar 16, 2009
What a load of pre-1930's ignorant garbage.

The writer obviously has no education in anything remotely scientific, and is simply offering a simple minded opinion based on fundamentalist religious bias.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
paul varner

United States

#2 Mar 16, 2009
Thanks to the author for stirring this pot.

The closest Darwinism has come to being anything akin to "factual" would be the "X-Men Mutants".

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
andy

Athens, GA

#3 Mar 16, 2009
paul varner wrote:
The closest Darwinism has come to being anything akin to "factual" would be the "X-Men Mutants".
pots are easily stirred by simpleminded fools.

Evolution is the single unifying force behind modern biology, based on over 100 years of cumulative evidence, a fact the pre-1930's anti-scientific fundamentalists strenuously avoid.

This is why ALL major religious denominations, such as the Roman Catholic church, say evolution is a scientific fact and there is no contradiction between evolution and Christianity.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
andy

Athens, GA

#4 Mar 16, 2009
For example, here is an article in Christianity today called "Creation or Evolution? Yes."

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2007/janu...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
tfj

Waxhaw, NC

#5 Mar 16, 2009
If humans have evolved from apes, why are there still apes?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#6 Mar 16, 2009
What a load of cr@p.

So his alternative is the loving god of Christianity created nature in all its blood and guts, created Nero, Caligula, etc.

He makes a genetic fallacy in his "logic", mistaking what IS for what OUGHT to be. He then says that if evolution is true, it is responsible for all the evils of the world. This is like saying gravity is responsible for evil, since gravity is responsible for the Earth forming in the first place.

Then he argues that it is much better to think his "loving" god created it all...which implies that his "loving" god created all the evil, too.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

#7 Mar 16, 2009
tfj wrote:
Please read about speciation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speciation

Sometimes, species split and evolve in different directions.

“Report and Deport1866-DHS-2 ICE”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#8 Mar 16, 2009
tfj wrote:
Thanks tfj, I needed that chuckle.
I have also heard the evolution has us coming from the fishies..that we grew limbs and came out of the water!!

Now I want to know, were Adam and Eve real, living humans with gills? I don't think that one can believe in the Bible and scientific 'findings'. That would really jumble your mind, ehhh?

again, thanks for the chuckle.
Sgt Rock

Elizabethton, TN

#9 Mar 16, 2009
tfj wrote:
LMAO! Good one!
Butch

Candler, NC

#10 Mar 16, 2009
Darwins book was and is a big lie. He altered drawings to fit his ideas. We have seen no evolution of species in recordable history. I guess according to his plan all of the species must have reached perfection. Most of the science that wants to remove a creator from the origins of life can't be proven. They can claim to know what started the simplest cells of life but are still unable to reproduce them. But the ACLU has enough money to keep the fight going. Of course the ACLU really stands for Another Crazy Lawyer Unrestrained.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

#11 Mar 16, 2009
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
What a load of cr@p.
So his alternative is the loving god of Christianity created nature in all its blood and guts, created Nero, Caligula, etc.
He makes a genetic fallacy in his "logic", mistaking what IS for what OUGHT to be. He then says that if evolution is true, it is responsible for all the evils of the world. This is like saying gravity is responsible for evil, since gravity is responsible for the Earth forming in the first place.
Then he argues that it is much better to think his "loving" god created it all...which implies that his "loving" god created all the evil, too.
Oops. Sorry. I just realized I clicked on the wrong link and read the "Evolution should be re-examined" article under Related Topix. THAT article is definitely a piece of cr@p.

However, the author of "It's the Darwin crowd that lacks the facts in evolution debate" is also very lacking in knowledge. He evidently has following anything in paleoanthropology. We have dozens of species tying modern humans to our common ancestor with the other apes. There are fossils from 1000's of individuals making up this fossil record. Yet he claims there is no evidence.

He also shows a distinct lack of knowledge of the workings of the scientific method. Historical sciences, such as paleoanthropology, work in a very different fashion than he seems to think. Direct experimentation is not possible, but predictions and repeatable observations are.

As for the ACLU, arguing that ID/creationism is incorrect does not necessarily get it out of the classroom. Arguing that it violates the church/state issue DOES. Therefore, from a legal perspective, the church/state issue is the way to go.

If Mr. Rhodes wants to see real evidence presented on the subject, he should go to a scientific convention on the subject. There he would get more than his fill of such evidence.

“Serendipitous Synchronicity”

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#12 Mar 16, 2009
paul varner wrote:
Perhaps Mr. Varner would present factual proof of the "Theory of Biblical Inerrancy."
Sgt Rock

Elizabethton, TN

#13 Mar 16, 2009
If some of you folks want to claim monkeys,chimps, and baboons as your ancestors, have at it. Not me.
tfj

Waxhaw, NC

#14 Mar 16, 2009
Mtnbred wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks tfj, I needed that chuckle.
I have also heard the evolution has us coming from the fishies..that we grew limbs and came out of the water!!
Now I want to know, were Adam and Eve real, living humans with gills? I don't think that one can believe in the Bible and scientific 'findings'. That would really jumble your mind, ehhh?
again, thanks for the chuckle.
I don't know...maybe some scientists want us to believe Adam and Eve were some sort of protozoa or something like that, that evolved into what we know as "humans" now. Who knows? I do know I have faith in what the Bible teaches...simple faith. Opening myself up for insults, etc, now....

“Serendipitous Synchronicity”

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#15 Mar 16, 2009
tfj wrote:
Please defend the proposition that the Earth is only ~6,000 years old?
Sgt Rock

Elizabethton, TN

#16 Mar 16, 2009
tfj wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know...maybe some scientists want us to believe Adam and Eve were some sort of protozoa or something like that, that evolved into what we know as "humans" now. Who knows? I do know I have faith in what the Bible teaches...simple faith. Opening myself up for insults, etc, now....
Yep. I prefer to believe God.

#17 Mar 16, 2009
Sgt Rock wrote:
If some of you folks want to claim monkeys,chimps, and baboons as your ancestors, have at it. Not me.
I see. You think it is much more dignified to think you are descended from dirt.

Consider though that the facts are the facts. Your wants and desires have no effect on them. Whether you want to believe you are descended from an ape-like creature or not, you are.
highdiver

Hendersonville, NC

#18 Mar 16, 2009
There is a creationism museum in KY (go figure) that shows dinosaurs and humans together. LOL

#19 Mar 16, 2009
Sgt Rock wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep. I prefer to believe God.
So what does believing in God have to do with the theory of evolution?
Kevin

Candler, NC

#20 Mar 16, 2009
dwindle wrote:
<quoted text>
Please defend the proposition that the Earth is only ~6,000 years old?
I don't have to defend it, and I don't care how old it is, but if you think that science is infallible, then you have a problem. God created the Earth and everything on it. I'm not well read enough about theology to enter into a debate about the age of the Earth, but I will say this. I think God loves the fact that His mysteries cast doubt about His existence. He simply asks us to walk in faith, but He gives plenty of reasons for doubters not to do so. It's very simple. It's up to you. If you have more faith in men than in God, you are living very dangerously. By the way, what did today's apes evolve from?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 6813
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Candler Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Cutting Edge Marketing (Nov '12) 16 min New Orleans 6
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 1 hr mark 58,836
Should Welfare recipients face mandatory steril... (Jun '12) 2 hr The Beast 56
How democrackkks RIG elections ... 5 hr OneWhoKnows 1
ABIDE WITH ME Oh Lord Abide With Me 11 hr Dixie Hillbilly 21
When This Weary Life Is Over I'll Fly Away (Feb '14) 11 hr Dixie Hillbilly 10
BRINGING IN The SHEAVES 11 hr Dixie Hillbilly 1
•••
Candler Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Candler Jobs

•••