First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Disabled

Elizabethtown, KY

#1 Feb 8, 2014
I have been troubled by this possible increase to $10.10 /hour .How in the world can small businesses pay that ?I worked for years and don't get me wrong with all the increases that has went on in the last several years I know money is tight I will be the first to admit it. I worked until I couldn't no longer now drawing my SS check the increase to my check was a joke which might I add I paid into for years and then when I got my supplemental insurance bill in January that went up 26. 00.This increase to $10.10 will just force more businesses out of this State and maybe even out of this Country.Wake up people and Congress making more money is always a good thing but it isn't if we loose more jobs in this State or Country if you have a job now be thankful some do not and then others that would love to work but can't have to get by with what money they have.
LMS

Hodgenville, KY

#2 Feb 8, 2014
Businesses will stop paying Medical and Dental! This will cause more people not to work and take the free Obamacare!
Also, the Business will hire less people so ones working will now be doing job of two people!
I believe the increase can work though? Just take everyone trying to get along?
Are other programs hurting this Country worse as in taxes being wasted!
google

Clarkson, KY

#3 Feb 8, 2014
Disabled wrote:
I have been troubled by this possible increase to $10.10 /hour .How in the world can small businesses pay that ?I worked for years and don't get me wrong with all the increases that has went on in the last several years I know money is tight I will be the first to admit it. I worked until I couldn't no longer now drawing my SS check the increase to my check was a joke which might I add I paid into for years and then when I got my supplemental insurance bill in January that went up 26. 00.This increase to $10.10 will just force more businesses out of this State and maybe even out of this Country.Wake up people and Congress making more money is always a good thing but it isn't if we loose more jobs in this State or Country if you have a job now be thankful some do not and then others that would love to work but can't have to get by with what money they have.
the is the biggest line of bullsh!t .. if the can't pay more they should not be in business. 66% of Minimum. Wage worker work for corporation.. if they can't handle to .95 cent increase a year over 3 years they a bankrupt to start with .
but you never hear a thing went they give ceo million dollar raises .
i
Disabled

Leitchfield, KY

#4 Feb 9, 2014
google wrote:
<quoted text> the is the biggest line of bullsh!t .. if the can't pay more they should not be in business. 66% of Minimum. Wage worker work for corporation.. if they can't handle to .95 cent increase a year over 3 years they a bankrupt to start with .
i
I'm not sure what your even carrying on about. If we continue to increase wages every year or every 3 years what do you think will happen everything continues to increase .If people can't work than can pay for things just think about it
Herp

Elizabethtown, KY

#5 Feb 9, 2014
google wrote:
<quoted text> the is the biggest line of bullsh!t .. if the can't pay more they should not be in business. 66% of Minimum. Wage worker work for corporation.. if they can't handle to .95 cent increase a year over 3 years they a bankrupt to start with .
i
Let's do a little math. Pretend we have a small corporation...

1 CEO times a $5,000,000 salary =$5,000,000 payroll for the CEO (who most likely has much more responsibility than a minimum wage employee).

Let's assume there are 10,000 employees for this company making $7.25/hr and working 30 hours a week. That's a cost to the company of around $2,175,000 PER WEEK,$8,700,000 per month, and approximately $104,400,000 per year.

Say minimum wage was increased to $10/hr. Using the same figures as above, the total payroll for minimum wage employees increases to $144,000,000. That's $39,600,000 the company has to make up for. So when we compare that extra $39,600,000 to pay 10,000 employees a few dollars more an hour, an extra million or two for the CEO doesn't come very close.
check it out

Campbellsville, KY

#6 Feb 9, 2014
google wrote:
i
So what is the other 34 percent supposed to do? Are you saying a mom and pop store should close down because they can't afford to pay 10.10? You can't make one business pay more than others.
meeee

Campbellsville, KY

#7 Feb 9, 2014
most small business will go out and there will be more part time people so they wont have to pay insurance. Everything will be priced higher to make up the difference.
LMS

Hodgenville, KY

#8 Feb 10, 2014
Herp wrote:
<quoted text>
1 CEO times a $5,000,000 salary =$5,000,000 payroll for the CEO (who most likely has much more responsibility than a minimum wage employee).
Let's assume there are 10,000 employees for this company making $7.25/hr and working 30 hours a week. That's a cost to the company of around $2,175,000 PER WEEK,$8,700,000 per month, and approximately $104,400,000 per year.
Say minimum wage was increased to $10/hr. Using the same figures as above, the total payroll for minimum wage employees increases to $144,000,000. That's $39,600,000 the company has to make up for. So when we compare that extra $39,600,000 to pay 10,000 employees a few dollars more an hour, an extra million or two for the CEO doesn't come very close.
You made a good point but, it is the little businesses that will fail!
Herp

Brownsville, KY

#9 Feb 10, 2014
LMS wrote:
<quoted text>
You made a good point but, it is the little businesses that will fail!
Yeah, I think most people realize that for the most part, even those who advocate minimum wage. But I wanted to emphasize the difference in cost on a larger company. Although small businesses employ a large amount of the work force in America, these larger companies also make a big impact and if larger companies start downsizing, we feel the hit in smaller communities.

Ultimately, rather than raise minimum wage, I think it would be better to fund finance programs to help educate people on how they can keep control of their finances. When it comes to living, it isn't easy to just go out and get a better paying job but there are MANY options when it comes to reducing personal expense. So I think the main issue is that many Americans in poverty are living beyond their means.
LMS

Hodgenville, KY

#10 Feb 10, 2014
Are living beyond their means put them in poverty? You are a fu..cking idiot!
You get married and have one child you are beyond the means of $7.50 an hour fu..ckhead!
Herp

Brownsville, KY

#11 Feb 10, 2014
LMS wrote:
Are living beyond their means put them in poverty? You are a fu..cking idiot!
You get married and have one child you are beyond the means of $7.50 an hour fu..ckhead!
Having children is a CHOICE. How is raising a child the responsibility of anyone but the two people who made the child?

And what I was implying by the who poverty thing is that many people are living in houses that are too big, paying bills for internet and cable when neither is needed, installing big flat screen TVs in their walls, and so on. Of course it's not the case for everyone but I'd say the great majority can find ways to decrease their cost of living better than they could find a higher paying job with their given skill set.
LMS

Hodgenville, KY

#12 Feb 10, 2014
Herp wrote:
<quoted text>
Having children is a CHOICE. How is raising a child the responsibility of anyone but the two people who made the child?
And what I was implying by the who poverty thing is that many people are living in houses that are too big, paying bills for internet and cable when neither is needed, installing big flat screen TVs in their walls, and so on. Of course it's not the case for everyone but I'd say the great majority can find ways to decrease their cost of living better than they could find a higher paying job with their given skill set.
I knew the child thing was coming!
From the way I read you I would swear you just emigrated from Russia. In that case you probably think you are in Heaven?
Herp

Brownsville, KY

#13 Feb 10, 2014
LMS wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew the child thing was coming!
From the way I read you I would swear you just emigrated from Russia. In that case you probably think you are in Heaven?
I can make assumptions about you too. I can assume you're a parent who instead of owning up to their decision to have a child, chooses to blame others for their inability to raise them. What a sad world for a child to grow up in; a household under a parent who's mad at the world because life just isn't fair unless SOMEONE ELSE pays more for a job that may not be worth it to them.

But I'm not gonna make that assumption because it won't get me anywhere in this argument. Instead, perhaps I can make you think about how things are and why they are that way. Maybe I can hope that someday instead of insults and resorting to bringing up irrelevant things in the argument that you'll actually THINK.

Imagine that you hire someone to mow your yard. You are essentially their employer albeit they must surely rely on the business of other yards to make a living. Still, you pay them $20/week to mow your yard. If they aren't making enough to support their family is that your fault?
LMS

Hodgenville, KY

#14 Feb 11, 2014
You are talking Self Employed people now. I am not their Employer.
They make more money by taking on more jobs so their income is unlimited!
google

Clarkson, KY

#15 Feb 11, 2014
Herp wrote:
<quoted text>

let a real corporation oh and [profit have been going up while wal mart profits have been going down
Costco CEO Craig JelinekDespite the sagging economy and challenges to the industry, Costco pays its hourly workers an average of $20.89 an hour, not including overtime (vs. the minimum wage of $7.25 an hour). staring$11.50 per hour

CEO Compensation .Costco:$4.9 million ($650,000 salary,$200,000 bonus, around $4 million in stock options)
google

Clarkson, KY

#16 Feb 11, 2014
check it out wrote:
<quoted text>So what is the other 34 percent supposed to do? Are you saying a mom and pop store should close down because they can't afford to pay 10.10? You can't make one business pay more than others.
if they can't pay a higher wage yes .
google

Clarkson, KY

#17 Feb 11, 2014
Herp wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I think most people realize that for the most part, even those who advocate minimum wage. But I wanted to emphasize the difference in cost on a larger company. Although small businesses employ a large amount of the work force in America, these larger companies also make a big impact and if larger companies start downsizing, we feel the hit in smaller communities.
Ultimately, rather than raise minimum wage, I think it would be better to fund finance programs to help educate people on how they can keep control of their finances. When it comes to living, it isn't easy to just go out and get a better paying job but there are MANY options when it comes to reducing personal expense. So I think the main issue is that many Americans in poverty are living beyond their means.
(many Americans in poverty are living beyond their means.) bs..
LMS

Hodgenville, KY

#18 Feb 11, 2014
I agree they are living beyond their means but, it is beyond their control!
Just to provide the minimum to their family is above their means!
Herp

Brownsville, KY

#19 Feb 11, 2014
google wrote:
<quoted text>
let a real corporation oh and [profit have been going up while wal mart profits have been going down
Costco CEO Craig JelinekDespite the sagging economy and challenges to the industry, Costco pays its hourly workers an average of $20.89 an hour, not including overtime (vs. the minimum wage of $7.25 an hour). staring$11.50 per hour
CEO Compensation .Costco:$4.9 million ($650,000 salary,$200,000 bonus, around $4 million in stock options)
Good for Costco. I'm sure they expect a lot more from their workers than they would if they paid them minimum wage.
LMS

Elizabethtown, KY

#20 Feb 11, 2014
Herp wrote:
<quoted text>
Good for Costco. I'm sure they expect a lot more from their workers than they would if they paid them minimum wage.
Amazon does. You earn that extra money!
And so will the workers that get to keep their jobs when others are laid off at small Businesses!
So now they earn more but, will complain about having to work harder!
But, I still believe in the raise. Those that don't mind working will get paid more!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Campbellsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
drug addict tramps 2 hr LMS 7
Candace Allen 2 hr LMS 15
Louisville raises minimum wage, 1st in Kentucky 2 hr LMS 4
Who is the biggest POS in Campbellsville? 2 hr LMS 26
Worst highway into Tayloe 2 hr LMS 6
Why are Decent white girls with Thug blacks (Oct '10) 2 hr LMS 327
LMS DonnaHash old gummy topix troll 3 hr LMS 39
Campbellsville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web