Question for you Oldtimers ...

Posted in the Camden Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
WTF

Camden, AR

#1 Jul 1, 2011
Years ago there was a drive-in on Topper Hill.
Was something like the Tastee Freeze, don't believe it was there long ... probably late 50's or early 60's.
Ring any bells, anyone??
Would have been across from Pat's Kat and Kow if it was there now ...

Something like Dairy ... something ... not Dairy Queen ... Help me ...

Don't get it mixed up with the RootBeer place across from the old Duck-in that was there for just a few months til they built the new (at the time) road.
just sayin

United States

#2 Jul 1, 2011
I don't know bout that drive inn, the one I remember was out by chevy place, but that was probably the 70's. we had a rootbeer place, cool! Wished I could see some pic!
WTF

Camden, AR

#3 Jul 1, 2011
just sayin wrote:
I don't know bout that drive inn, the one I remember was out by chevy place, but that was probably the 70's. we had a rootbeer place, cool! Wished I could see some pic!
Yeah, it may have been a Honest-to-God 'Mr. Root Beer'. A nice place to hang out.
I remember a guy that hung out there sometimes ... he rode a 750 Triumph and was always dressed in black leathers ... truely a Bad Looking Dude. I used to dream about having a bike like that ... I didn't own a car!
Anyway, they tore the Mother down for the highway ... Back on Topic ... Topper Hill drive-in ... THINK PEOPLE ...
WTF

Camden, AR

#4 Jul 1, 2011
<quoted text> It's coming back to me a little now ... it wasn't a drive in ... although they had a drive-thru window. I think it was a cafe kinda like the Cardinal Cafe ...
Wait!! here's a clue for you ... I think it was owned by Bobby Ted Lucas' wife. He being a long time deputy sheriff ... reach back people ... hell, it may have been called the Topper Cafe for all I know ... THINK!!

“O.G.”

Since: Aug 09

Original Gamester

#5 Jul 1, 2011
Wasn't it turned into the Manila Diner last?
grannysticks

Camden, AR

#6 Jul 1, 2011
I remember that there was one there but can recall the name. There was also one at the other end of Adams right close to the Paper Mill before you cross the old rail road bridges that are now closed down. I think it was called the Cow Bell there. Sorry can't remember the name of the other across from Pat's Cat and Cow.
WTF

Camden, AR

#7 Jul 1, 2011
grannysticks wrote:
I remember that there was one there but can recall the name. There was also one at the other end of Adams right close to the Paper Mill before you cross the old rail road bridges that are now closed down. I think it was called the Cow Bell there. Sorry can't remember the name of the other across from Pat's Cat and Cow.
Grannysticks, you are a DOLL!
I'm sure that was the name of the cafe at the Topper ... The Cow Bell. The place at the other end of Adams was the Tastee Freeze owned by George and Marie Griffith, George has passed away and Marie works at Wal-Mart ... They made the BEST hamburgers on Planet Earth!! They had the uncanny ability to remember what countless people usually ordered. I can hear Marie asking now ... "you want your regular order?" I always answered "Yes" even if I wanted something else. I didn't want to dissapoint her ... God, those were wonderful days ... I have tears in my eyes ...

Grannysticks, next time we have a 'remembering game' I want you on my side!!
curly howard

Camden, AR

#8 Jul 1, 2011
WTF wrote:
Years ago there was a drive-in on Topper Hill.
Was something like the Tastee Freeze, don't believe it was there long ... probably late 50's or early 60's.
Ring any bells, anyone??
Would have been across from Pat's Kat and Kow if it was there now ...
Something like Dairy ... something ... not Dairy Queen ... Help me ...
Don't get it mixed up with the RootBeer place across from the old Duck-in that was there for just a few months til they built the new (at the time) road.
graham's bbq. was there for many years.
WTF

Camden, AR

#9 Jul 1, 2011
WTF wrote:
<quoted text>
Grannysticks, next time we have a 'remembering game' I want you on my side!!
... a little trivia ...After they shut the Tastee Freeze down George and Marie opened Pat's Cat and Cow (I thought it was spelled 'Kat and Kow'... maybe not) named for their son Patrick. They made their own hushpuppies and had quite a business selling them to other restaurants. They came in 16 oz. plastic bags printed one color #64 blue and designed by Patrick ... then about eight years old!
I'd better shut up ... I'm almost bawling now ...
WTF

Camden, AR

#10 Jul 1, 2011
curly howard wrote:
<quoted text>
graham's bbq. was there for many years.
You're right Curly. Grahams was on the same side of adams as the Duck In right across from the entrance to Carnes Park ... site later occupied by Buddy's Wrecking Yard.
I got my first car from Buddy for barbecuing 100 Lbs of Boston Butts bbq for a yearly feed Buddy gave for the Police Dept. He wanted to make sure they knew who to call when a car needed a tow. The car he gave me for the bbq was a '37 Chevrolet, three on the floor. Of course I was too stupid to take care of it and it was soon junk ... what a dumbass I was.
As George Burns famously sang ... "I wish I was Eighteen Again". Or did George say "I wish I was EIGHTY again"? Ha!!
curly howard

Camden, AR

#11 Jul 1, 2011
WTF wrote:
<quoted text>You're right Curly. Grahams was on the same side of adams as the Duck In right across from the entrance to Carnes Park ... site later occupied by Buddy's Wrecking Yard.
I got my first car from Buddy for barbecuing 100 Lbs of Boston Butts bbq for a yearly feed Buddy gave for the Police Dept. He wanted to make sure they knew who to call when a car needed a tow. The car he gave me for the bbq was a '37 Chevrolet, three on the floor. Of course I was too stupid to take care of it and it was soon junk ... what a dumbass I was.
As George Burns famously sang ... "I wish I was Eighteen Again". Or did George say "I wish I was EIGHTY again"? Ha!!
the graham's bbq i remember was on adams just south of its intersection with old smackover road. james graham was the owner. really knew how to cook bbq. went out there several times in mid 1970's. then became "manilla" for awhile.
Grannysticks

Camden, AR

#12 Jul 1, 2011
You're right! It was spelled Kat N Kow. and I remember when the hushpuppies were sold in bags at Piggly Wiggly's. They were so good!
Anonymous

United States

#13 Jul 1, 2011
The Cow Bell was located right behind M.S clinic. Boy that was along time ago. I remember the cafe at the topper also but cant remember what it was called. I do rremembe that edith or evelyn davis owned it
WTF

Camden, AR

#14 Jul 1, 2011
curly howard wrote:
<quoted text>
the graham's bbq i remember was on adams just south of its intersection with old smackover road. james graham was the owner. really knew how to cook bbq. went out there several times in mid 1970's. then became "manilla" for awhile.
You're right, Curly. Graham's was located on what we called 'Brown Hill'... it was the next hill over from 'Topper Hill'... how could I get that wrong? The BBQ place across from Carnes Park was named 'Old Hickory' I believe.
Of course it wasn't as idyllic as we like to remember but that era was special to those of us who got to live it ... don't you agree?
curly howard

Camden, AR

#15 Jul 1, 2011
WTF wrote:
<quoted text>You're right, Curly. Graham's was located on what we called 'Brown Hill'... it was the next hill over from 'Topper Hill'... how could I get that wrong? The BBQ place across from Carnes Park was named 'Old Hickory' I believe.
Of course it wasn't as idyllic as we like to remember but that era was special to those of us who got to live it ... don't you agree?
most certainly.
Grannysticks

Camden, AR

#16 Jul 2, 2011
Does anyone remember Humpy's Barbeque On Washington Street where the Hush Puppy and Tiger Harry's use to be? I think that was the name. I was just a small tot when my folks ate there.
curly howard

Camden, AR

#17 Jul 2, 2011
Grannysticks wrote:
Does anyone remember Humpy's Barbeque On Washington Street where the Hush Puppy and Tiger Harry's use to be? I think that was the name. I was just a small tot when my folks ate there.
yes. good food. quite well known around here in lower arkansas.
juda

United States

#18 Jul 2, 2011
correction on Marie, she work at Brookshire in the gas department, she did have the best Burgers, and didnt guys u to gather in the back room to play poker?? Thats what I was always told! I forgot about her having Kat-N-Kow, this is a great thread, no bashing wow!
WTF

Camden, AR

#19 Jul 2, 2011
juda wrote:
correction on Marie, she work at Brookshire in the gas department, she did have the best Burgers, and didnt guys u to gather in the back room to play poker?? Thats what I was always told! I forgot about her having Kat-N-Kow, this is a great thread, no bashing wow!
juda, you are correct about Marie. She has worked the pumps at Brookshires for years ... don't know where I got her working at Wal-Mart!
I'll tell y'all one thing ... when Marie and George ran the Tastee Freeze there was NO BS allowed by us high school boys or anyone else. All George had to do was look your way and if you were doing something stupid, you stopped ... those were the days when young people respected their elders. Boy, I'd love to have one of those hamburgers for supper tonight! Yes Marie, I'll have my regular order ... Tater Tots and a cherry vanilla Dr. Pepper with that, Thank you ma'am.
I don't know about people playing poker in the back room ... would Marie have allowed that? I don't think so.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#20 Jul 2, 2011
WTF wrote:
<quoted text>juda, you are correct about Marie. She has worked the pumps at Brookshires for years ... don't know where I got her working at Wal-Mart!
I'll tell y'all one thing ... when Marie and George ran the Tastee Freeze there was NO BS allowed by us high school boys or anyone else. All George had to do was look your way and if you were doing something stupid, you stopped ... those were the days when young people respected their elders. Boy, I'd love to have one of those hamburgers for supper tonight! Yes Marie, I'll have my regular order ... Tater Tots and a cherry vanilla Dr. Pepper with that, Thank you ma'am.
I don't know about people playing poker in the back room ... would Marie have allowed that? I don't think so.
I remember eating at Pat's Kat and Kow when I was a little fellow, great food and the staff and owners always made you feel like family :) I would love for those elder respecting days to return.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Camden Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cheers 2 hr Pork Chop 1
Pregnant 20 hr Essie 1
Easy come Easy go 21 hr Determined 1
China Doll 23 hr Tractor 3
Why does John Rice cry when we make love? Sun Tabatha Rash 1
Newport or Camden? Sun Morgan Freeman 4
McDonald's Nov 22 JJ Disposal 1
Camden Dating
Find my Match

Camden People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Camden News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Camden

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:15 am PST

Bleacher Report 7:15AM
2014 Week 13 Fantasy Football Running Back Rankings
Bleacher Report 7:43 AM
Everyone Knows 'Ladell Beckham Jr.'
ESPN 8:25 AM
DeMarco Murray chases Eric Dickerson's record
Bleacher Report12:44 PM
Saints D Won't Recover from Bunkley's Injury
Bleacher Report12:50 PM
Cowboys Defense Finally Beginning to Slip Up?