Cairo Illinois - What did the ex-mayor know?

Posted in the Cairo Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 49 Comments Last updated Jan 14, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
New Cairoite

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2008

Judged:

Sorry MC, but we have to go back to go forward.

Does anyone know what ex-Mayor Farris knew about the 2003 financials that kept him from signing off on the audit? Was any of it ever public record or discussed in the media?

If he discovered discrepancies that merited further investigation and impacted the integrity of the audited financial statements enough that he would not sign off on them, then the current Wilson/Childs/Ewing/Hesselrode crew would know even more since the discrepancies happened on their watch. It is possible, but unlikely, Farris uncovered all the discrepancies.

That would explain why the city attorney has advised them to change the financials and have a new audit done. At a minimum, they would have to include all the discrepancies Farris uncovered. And, unfortunatley, the taxpayers of Cairo will have to pay for two audits. I asked Preston Ewing how much we paid the CPA firm last year and he said he could not tell me. Someone else said Cairo pays $ 50,000 for its audit.

What do we know about the new city attorney? Did he have a connection to Cairo, to Wilson, Ewing, Hesselrode or any of the current or former council members prior to being hired as city attorney last year?
Missing Cairo

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2008

Judged:

Okay, if you keep it to one thread about the financials, who cares if you ask? Only someone who had something to hide.

If you disrupt every thread, then you short circuit your own topics. Eventually you'll just turn everyone off and no one will even care any longer about the financials but you nor will they bother to read a topic you start.

Where is Farris? It's a shame no one would give him a voice when he was mayor. It would be wonderful if he felt free to state his objection and his objectives.

Perhaps he might feel free now, but may have legal counsel who advises him to not speak out for one reason or another. There may have been something in the legal settlement that binds his tongue.

Can you obtain a copy of the settlement between the disgruntled litigants and the city? If should state if there is a code of silence being enforced.
New Cairoite

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2008

MC - the topic here is: What did the ex-Mayor know about the 2003 financials? It is a rhetorical question.

If you don't care about the fact the city has not issued financials for 6 years, that is fine. If you have nothing to contribute to the discussion, that is fine, too. And, it is fine if you do not read any topics I start. You are free to limit your reading and responses to topics started here by other people. Before I started asking questions, how active was this forum?

You don't have to care about the seniors in Cairo who have to make the decision to eat or heat their homes. Your elderly parents must not have to make that decision and I am glad they don't. No one should have to face that decision.

You don't have to care about the people in Cairo, including some prominent people, who have had their homes bought at tax sales because they could not afford to pay the taxes. Your elderly parents must not have had to face that predicament and I am glad they haven't. No one should have to face it.

You don't have to care about the high school drop out rate, the teen pregnancy rate, the drug problem in Cairo. May you or your loved ones never be affected by it.

I am going to continue asking questions for the people who are affected by the corruption here and for those who may be uninformed and make the decision to buy here. If one person who cannot afford to live in Cairo reads any of my posts and makes the educated decision to not invest here, I will have accomplished my goal.

You surely would understand that to make an educated decision about future property taxes, one needs financial information that only the city can provide and that the city is refusing to provide.
Missing Cairo

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2008

Judged:

Thank you. You have finally been honest about your goal.

To dissuade anyone who wishes to move or invest in Cairo.

I really thought you had higher motives.

Sorry I misjudged you.

Isn't it fun addressing someone you know nothing about, especially about what they and their family may have sacrificed or lost in the City you feel so dispicably about. Strangely, this family still loves Cairo deeply and will still do what it can to promote the city. We know it is a good place filled with good people.

And this doesn't mean I will quit posting. I'm just not that timid.
Missing Cairo

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2008

Judged:

Now, if you really want to help Cairo. Keep to the topic of the thread you start instead of meandering from one subject to another.

I can't seem to make you understand why that is important.

Since: Jul 08

West Plains, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2008

New Cairoite wrote:
MC - the topic here is: What did the ex-Mayor know about the 2003 financials? It is a rhetorical question.
If you don't care about the fact the city has not issued financials for 6 years, that is fine. If you have nothing to contribute to the discussion, that is fine, too. And, it is fine if you do not read any topics I start. You are free to limit your reading and responses to topics started here by other people. Before I started asking questions, how active was this forum?
You don't have to care about the seniors in Cairo who have to make the decision to eat or heat their homes. Your elderly parents must not have to make that decision and I am glad they don't. No one should have to face that decision.
You don't have to care about the people in Cairo, including some prominent people, who have had their homes bought at tax sales because they could not afford to pay the taxes. Your elderly parents must not have had to face that predicament and I am glad they haven't. No one should have to face it.
You don't have to care about the high school drop out rate, the teen pregnancy rate, the drug problem in Cairo. May you or your loved ones never be affected by it.
I am going to continue asking questions for the people who are affected by the corruption here and for those who may be uninformed and make the decision to buy here. If one person who cannot afford to live in Cairo reads any of my posts and makes the educated decision to not invest here, I will have accomplished my goal.
You surely would understand that to make an educated decision about future property taxes, one needs financial information that only the city can provide and that the city is refusing to provide.
Fact is you aren't ever going to know what the ex-mayor knows about the financials. No ones going to know but him.
Missing Cairo

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2008

Judged:

And each of those subjects you mentioned deserves its own thread without you ranting about the financials. Do I understand the importance? Yes. Do you know what starting from square one means? No.
Isn't it fun to observe that, when you go into denial mode that you need to compartmentalize, you feel the need to attack.
Cairo can no longer afford the luxury of wallowing in what-should-happen or what-did-happen. It must wade through the waters of what-is-now and what- will-be. King George did not turn over his financials to the First Congressional Congress nor did America waste time delving into the financial condition of the territories in the Louisiana Purchase. Each entity seized the moment and moved forward.

Since: Jul 08

West Plains, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2008

Judged:

Amen! Enough with the financials lets talk about things we can make a change in.
David Danforth

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2009

Judged:

David Danforth would like for you to support him as the next Mayor of Cairo. This town can be so much more than it has become. Clean it up and clear em out.

DavidCDanforth@aol.com

David Danforth wants to be the next Mayor of Cairo. Please support him.
who

Cairo, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2009

David Danforth wrote:
David Danforth would like for you to support him as the next Mayor of Cairo. This town can be so much more than it has become. Clean it up and clear em out.
DavidCDanforth@aol.com
David Danforth wants to be the next Mayor of Cairo. Please support him.
book em danf.
dumplings

Martin, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2009

Judged:

Hey if every mayor speaks that saying "Clean it up and clear them out". He doesn't need to be MAYOR. If the citizens that are running for office would let everyone know what there plan is to do. Then have to sign a contract and if it doesn't go through. They would get punished for it. That might actually get good workers in there to do the job.
MISSOURI TO ILLINOIS

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2011

Judged:

MISSOURI TO CAIRO ILLINOIS & STATE OF ILLINOIS:
First and foremost, HE IS SPOT ON, with his remarks, sometimes the truth hurts. That being said, why has your tiny worthless little town allowed this to happen to it? Everytime people drive through there it is a filthy, discusting shame.., nothing but a drug haven, povertised SLUM, that noone cares about, except for those cuaght up living in it, who refuse to leave in order ton better their lives, families lives. If you can not care enough to work your butts off to clean it up there, then who's fault is that? YOU that live there have a responsibility to clean it up, and ensure it's safety with/without a municipality. You spent forever argueing over issues that no one cared to nplace stake in, YET you are want to FLOOD OUR STATE OVER HERE IN MISSOURI, WHERE PEOPLE WORK LONG HARD HOURS IN A DAYS TIME, FARMING THAT LAND.., IT PUTS OUT some 16% OF THE NATIONS CROPS.., 133,000 ACRES OF PRIME FARM LAND, PLUS more than 150 plus homes of these hard working people farming that land.., WHAT A SHAMEFUL STATE AND TOWNSHIP ILLINOIS SHOULD BE ASHAMED.., get off your butts and pay to have your own levee's put in.., over there in Illinois.., work your state highway dept.'s and the Illinois Army Corp of Engineers and get them to elevate your side over there too while you are at it.., and geet off your butts!!! You cant evenmanage to nrun your own town.., you have not even got a city government because of the former irresponsibile city officials.., and former mayor who have no answer for where the money went.., SHAMEFUL, SHAMEFUL.., yet you want us again, in Missouri to take the heat off of you????? Sorry, I do not feel sorry for you at all.., why dont you get out of twon, let it flood there.., it would be the best thing ever people, then youd have the government relief to from Federal Aide and FEMA to REBUILD YOUR CITY, HAVE NEW JOBS ETC., YOU FOOLISH PEOPLE.., over there whining and crying over your own pathetic mess you've harbored for many years.., then want to destroy our state over here? GET A LIFE PEOPLE.., and stop acting like cry babies...Cairo Illinois is not worth saving! And shame on the state of Illinois too.., that is your problem, to deal with over there.., get off your butts and clean that slum up.., you tight-wad's..., stop pushing your levee issues onto us Missourians.., help nyour own people over there.., learn how to drive a boat.., load people up and use the state evacuation plan.., GEEZ.., you people over there are so LAZY.., HELP YOURSELVES, GEE WHIZ!
MISSOURI TELLS ILLINOIS

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2011

Judged:

First and foremost, HE IS SPOT ON, with his remarks, sometimes the truth hurts. That being said, why has your tiny worthless little town allowed this to happen to it?

Everytime people drive through there it is a filthy, discusting shame.., nothing but a drug haven, a povertised SLUM, that no one cares about, except for those caught up living in it, who refuse to leave in order to better their lives, and thier families lives.

If you can not care enough to work your butts off to clean it up there, then who's fault is that?

YOU that live there have a responsibility to clean it up, and ensure it's safety with/without a municipality.

You spent forever argueing over issues that no one cared to place any real stake in, YET you are want to FLOOD OUR STATE OVER HERE IN MISSOURI, WHERE PEOPLE WORK LONG HARD HOURS IN A DAYS TIME, FARMING THAT LAND.., IT PUTS OUT some 16% OF THE NATIONS CROPS.., 133,000 ACRES OF PRIME FARM LAND, PLUS more than 150 plus homes of these hard working people farming that land.., WHAT A SHAMEFUL STATE AND TOWNSHIP.., YOU "Illinois" SHOULD BE ASHAMED.., get off your lazy butts and pay to have your own levee's put in.., over there in Illinois.., work your state highway dept.'s and the Illinois Army Corp of Engineers and get them to elevate your side of the river over there too while you are at it.., and get off your shameful butts!!!

You cant even manage to run your own town.., you have not even got a city government because of the former irresponsibile city officials.., and former mayor who have no answer for where the money went.., SHAMEFUL, SHAMEFUL..,

yet you want us again, in Missouri to take the heat off of you?????

Sorry, I do not feel sorry for you at all.., why dont you get out of town, and let it flood there.., it would be the best thing ever to happen to Cairo Illinois.., listen people, then youd have the government relief from Federal Aide and FEMA to REBUILD YOUR CITY, CREATE AND HAVE NEW JOBS ETC., YOU FOOLISH PEOPLE.., over there whining and crying over your own pathetic mess you've harbored for so many years.., then want to destroy our state over here? GET A LIFE PEOPLE.., and stop acting like cry babies...Cairo Illinois is not worth saving! And shame on the state of Illinois too.., that is your problem, to deal with over there.., get off your butts and clean that slum up.., you shameful tight-wad's..., stop pushing your levee issues onto us Missourians.., help your own people over there.., learn how to drive a boat.., load people up and use the state evacuation plan.., GEEZ.., you people over there are so LAZY AND WORTHLESS.., Cairo Illinois os nothing more than a one mule, drug haven with dope heads, prostitutes, shanty town shacks.., and one useful road running through it.., I am so disgusted with the entire mess.., we've been hearing about all your problems for years.., CLEAN THAT TOWN UP AND RUN THE RIF RAF OUT OF THERE.., LET IT GO PEOPLE, IT IS THE BEST THING THAT COULD HAPPEN TO IT.., THERE IS NOT ONE HOME THERE WORTH $50,000 IN THE ENTIRE TOWN.., GET YOUR PEOPLE OUT OF THERE, AND LET IT FLOOD.., GEE WHIZ.., In Missouri we say it like it is.., no pun intended.., so sick of Illinois asking the world for relief.., Cairo is nothing more than a little drug cartel Havana!
flusher1

Greenville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2011

sorry mo.your fixin to get a good flushing,but hey'u can keep cryin,we'll be here for you.
boo hoo

Mounds, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2011

Judged:

Stop your hatin' mo to IL, you're gonna stroke-out. IF the COE, the EXPERTS & PROFESSIONALS by the way, deem blowing the levee necessary it will be done. DEAL WITH IT! Now what's that line in that hokey hillbilly song you MO people like so much...oh yea...here's a quarter, call someone who cares.
MISSOURI TELLS ILLINOIS

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2011

Judged:

YEAH RIGHT, you morons can not even DENY THE TRUTH!

YOUR WOTHLESS SELF ENTITLEMENT MANTALITY is what I am talking about.., your lazy "SELF ENTITLEMENT" attitudes which is exactly WHY your property is so worthless.., in Cairo Illinois.

WE have a right to voice our opinions MORE than YOU, after all itis our prime land being jeopardized. LOOK, your own state REFUSED TO HELP CAIRO ILLINOIS.., REFUSED YET NOW THEY WANT TO CRY HELP FOR CAIRO RESIDENTS????

YEAH RIGHT, now that it is PUBIC INFORMATION AND BEING TELEVISED/PUBLISIZED it is all about HUMANITY???

WHERE were the state of Illinois's HUMANITY these past 6 to 10 years for Cairo Illinois, huh? NO WHERE, that's where! SITTING IN THIER PLUSH OFFICES, PUTTING YOUR TINY LITTLE TOWN OF CAIRO ON THE "IGNORE BUTTON".

Your people come here for JOBS, FOOD, SUPPLIES, MEDICAL CARE AND TO KENTUCKY ALSO; Because your own state won't help you, and NOW THEY WISH TO TALK ABOUT HUMAN LIVES AND HUMANITY BECAUSE THEY ARE ON THE AIR, Folks, that is why they are suddenly taking an interest!

Look we are not cry babies over here.., but right is right, and wrong is just wrong.., this will trigger a washing away affect.., for DECADES folks.., our soil ends up in the gulf of mexico.., and ALL STATES UNDERNEATH US AS WELL WILL BE AFFECTED TOO, PROVEN SCIENTIFIC FACT!

STOP WITH THE BACKWOODS, 3rd GRADE IGNORANCE YOU DISPLAY ONLINE, AND EDUCATE YOURSELVES AND SEE THE BIG PICTURE BEHIND THIS.., it does not just affect Missouri, it affects all the state below Missouri too on a far larger scale. And yet you say, here is a quarter, call someone who cares as Illinoians?

WHERE IS YOUR HUMANITY, IN THIS?

Guess what, Your state is being SUED RIGHT NOW BECAUSE OF THIS MESS.., BECAUSE YOUR OWN STATE OFFICIALS REFUSED TO HELP YOUR OWN PEOPLE IN CAIRO ILLINOIS., THAT TELLS THE REAL STORY IN ITSELF!

YET, you sit tehre crying like big ol' babies for a worthless little tiny SLUM TOWN of DOPE HEAD LOSERS.., who sit back and collect Illinois Tax Paid WELFARE CHECKS!

AND BY THE WAY, MOUNDS IS NO BETTER, for the most part, at least we here in Missouri KNOW WHEN A TOWN IS WORTH SAVING OR NOT, AND WE DONT ASK FOR ILLINOIS HELP EITHER, FOR NOTHING.., AND NEVER HAVE. NO WE WONT STROKE OUT, HERE..., WE HAVE ENOUGH PRIDE AND INTELLIGENCE TO WORK HERE.., WE DONT SIT ON OUR TUCHES AND WAIT FOR HELP, WE GET BUSY WHEN WE FACE CRISES AND DO WHAT WE HAVE TO DO TO MAKE THE BEST OF A BAD SITUATION, WE DONT SIT THERE AND WHINE ABOUT IT.

WE ARE FARMERS HERE, NOT HILLBILLYS.., YOU ON THE OTHER HAND FIT EVERY DEFINITION OF A HILL BILLY BUM.., GET EDUCATED YOU LOSER FROM MOUNDS ILLINOIS.

WE ARE VERY EMPATHETIC FOR SAKE OF HUMANITY, FOLKS BUT THIS IS NOT ABOUT HUMANITY, WE'D BE FIRST IN LINE TO HELP ANY OTHER STATE AS ALWAYS.., WE ARE NOT AFRAID TO GET OUR HANDS DIRTY HERE.., WE ARE HARD WORKING PEOPLE HERE.., WE ALWAYS HELP OUR FELLOW STATES WHEN CRISES ARRIVES.

THIS SITUATION IS ABOUT DESTROYING OUR LIVES, OUR LAND, PLACING THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE, NOT MERELY 110 HOMES, AND 133,000 ACRES OF PRIME FARM LAND IN DIRECT JEOAPRDY HERE.., HOE YOU FEEL BETTER WHEN YOU SEE OUR RESIDENTS DEATH TOLL FROM THIS FORCED SUICIDE MISSION, BECAUSE THATS WHAT IT IS. STRETCH OUT THOSE WATERS, AND SEE WHERE THAT WATER IS GOING.., THE AREA OF LAND.., AND YOU THINK ONLY 110 HOMES EXIST ON 133,000 ACRES??? COME ON.., THATS REDICULOUS.., DOESNT TAKE A ROCKET SCIENTIST TO FIGURE THE AFFECTS.., FOLKS.

THE ARMY CORP OF ENGINEERS HAVE BEEN WRONG BEFORE MANY TIMES.., LOOK AT NEW ORLEANS.., AND THATS WHAT THIS IS GOING TO DO TO OUR STATE..,

LIKE ALWAYS YOUR HANDS ARE OUT AGAIN, ASKING FOR HELP .., GET OFF YOUR WORHTLESS BUTTS AND HELP YOURSELVES.
boo hoo

Mounds, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2011

ROTFLMFAO! You really need to chill. Hey, you things in MO started this vile uncouth meanness. And may I make a suggestion....EVACUATE!
To paraphrase from the very lips of these welfare queen farmers, corporate ass kissers, teabaggers, neo-con's and the soulless republicans(ie. Rep.Tilly).........BLOW BABY BLOW!

FYI

Cairo, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2011

Thanks to all the hateful posters on both sides of this issue.

Your remarks have made you feel better and you have solved the world's problems all in one quick moment of heated anger.

We've just come in from a quick tour of the county and are saddened by what we have seen. It must be as almost as bad in Missouri except that we have so many people living along the rivers edge in one long stretch who are out sandbagging and shoring up one another's homes and confidence.

They really don't need to sit down to catch a moments breath and turn to their computers for news only to find your hateful remarks. or ours.

Help us to give them hope. They aren't part of this war on words and blowing the floodplain could have helped them if it had happened two nights ago.

There are more than 300 people and 130,000 of acres of farm land already under water along the waterway so both states have already lost more money than could possibly be generated there. Had the waterway been blown earlier they might have been relieved. If it is blown now, they may be able to get back to their lives sooner.

Hate those of us in Cairo if you must, but allow the floodway to relieve our residents and farmers from both states who live above it.
Reason

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2011

Judged:

FYI, you sound reasoned, but don't know a damn thing about what you relate.
MISSOURI TO ILLINOIS-

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2011

Judged:

What comes around, goes around.., 5 fold. Starve to death, it is a long grueling 10 plus day horrible way to go.., terrible. Realize this.., you are going to flood anyways.., learn to sink or swin.., put on your big boy/girl baby pull-up diapers.., your going to need them!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Cairo Discussions

Search the Cairo Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 3 min obama 49,033
IL Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Illinois ... (Oct '10) 43 min obama 6,593
"So-Called Planning Grant for Cairo" 2 hr Cactus pete 1
New pot facility 3 hr Must I start this thread 1
Mayor 2015 5 hr Cairo Resident 31
WKRO radio off for good? (Sep '13) 8 hr Very Sad 16
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 14 hr Pay to Play 1,881
•••
•••
•••
•••

Cairo Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000