Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 132,260

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#79185 May 22, 2012
This was to someone else, and I do think he mistakenly uses the term Christians sometimes when what he means and what most of us mean is the term rightwing extremist fundies. I am an agnostic atheist with quite friendly feelings towards Christians who have a kind ethic and who are not hostile toward my views. I feel that ethics matter more than theology, and there should be a coalition of folks who are believers and those who are not but who agree on an ethic that I call one of "informed kindness." sounds like you are one of the type I often try to be friendly with.
JustSaying28 wrote:
<quoted text>
I do agree with you that schools should speak out aginst bullying. That everyone should be treated equally no matter what. They should be taught that harrasing people no matter thier diffrence may be is completley wrong.
It is not right that you compare all religious people to a few religious people that use their religion to push hate. I am religious and I do belive and worship God. My Veiw and belifes are that God wants us to judge no one and love all. God told us not to judge anyone for he would do the judging.. Some pople forget that judging someone else for the way they belive or live their lives is just as big as sin.. I have my about God and how I should live my life.. and think that God wants up to treat, help, and love everyone the same, even if they don't live or belive the way I do. God said Love thy neigbor.. not love they neighbor if belives the same you and live the same as you. So please do not refer to all of us like we are bigots.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#79186 May 22, 2012
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>"There are two kinds of people:
1) those who say to God,'Thy will be done' and
2) those to whom God says, All right, then, have it your way.'"
C.S. Lewis
I was (2), now I'm (1), and Very Glad of it!
Now... you be you!
C S Lewis wrote a series of childrens books called the Chronicles of Narnia. They were very well-written stories, with illustrations, and had interesting characters, and were very enticing to children. Movies have been made of some of them. At the end he had a book called the Final Battle. It turns out that the whole series was a sort of fable based on Biblical teachings of a rightwing sort, with the book of revelation and horrible happenings to come at the end, and to be perfectly OK for children to read and be brainwashed by, since they had been set up so cleverly by this evil propaganda pusher of hell and damnation for folks he did not approve of.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#79187 May 22, 2012
before I made up my mind, were they cute and well-behaved dinosaurs, or were they unruly dinosaurs? I would have to ask the same questions about fluffly flying pink unicorns as well. also, does anyone ever ride the flying spaghetti monster?
Occams Razor wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you're saying that Aesop, etc. is taught as fact? See there's the rub...Religious Fairy Tales at private schools are taught as fact.
There's a classroom in Norhtern Ky you can go to and see some 'FACT' the Creation Museum where humans rode dinosaurs around. Go into ANY college class and defend those 'FACTS.'
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#79188 May 22, 2012
personally, I am holding out for Santa's flying reindeer. I am more familiar with them and they look safer - though they do get rather high up, and I prefer them just on rooftops I think. I have vertigo problems.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#79189 May 22, 2012
Occams Razor wrote:
<quoted text>
O.k. I take back my insults toward you, Raze.
I see that you are mentally challenged. It's improper to ridicule the retarded folks no matter how funny they look.
I absolutely did NOT say Aesop's Fables are fact. Quite the opposite. I was asking you if you thought they were factual since they are taught in some public schools.
They are fables. You claimed you don't send your spawn to schools where fairy tales are taught.. only factual science.
See, you have no idea what your kids are being taught. I'd say you really don't care, as long as they ain't gettin' none of that there religiosity!
I bet your husband has considered homicide.
OK. Last time I will respond to you. I am the husband. My wife IS a Teacher in a public school, so I know exactly what my Children are taught. But you are 100% CORRECT in that I don't want my Children taught any relgion whatsoever. You see I feel as I said in a much earlier post that it's my job not to tell my kids WHAT to think, but rather it's my job to teach them HOW to think. If my daughter chooses to be a religious person when her critical mind can make that choice, I would support her even if she wanted to be a Nun or minister in a church. But it's my job right now to protect her innocent mind until she matures and can make those type decisions on her own.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#79191 May 22, 2012
I mostly like and agree with you, but someone purporting to be a nice Christian was offended by what he thinks is your blaming of all Christians for attitudes of the ones that I call rightwing fundies (though he/she did not phrase it exactly that way). I wrote a friendly response saying I don't think you mean to lump all Christians together as the same, and that most of us who are critical really mean to aim at the rightwing extremist fundies. I hope this was not an incorrect statement of your views - for two reasons. One is that I like you and hope they are your views. and second I do not like to misrepresent someone else's viewpoint.
EssentialSalts wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't have a problem with schools telling students about homosexuals and how they should be more accepting of them. Maybe then they won't be bullied and harassed over their sexual orientation. It's not like they're going to teach the students to be homosexual (which isn't possible in the first place).
As for schools going downhill, part of that is theists trying to remove fact-based science like evolution and force creationism into the classroom. Education has it's funding cut quite often; teachers get fired, classrooms get crowded, various programs are cut.
Your way of thinking is backwards. I guess your idea of freedom of religion is the freedom of forcing your religion onto other people. Your views of homosexuality lead me to believe you're a bigot. Your way of thinking is damaging this country; it's part of the reason we're regressing.
when you go against the fundies, either by group or an individual, I almost always agree with the vast majority of your comment.
Yes and Amen

Pikeville, KY

#79192 May 22, 2012
EssentialSalts wrote:
<quoted text>
You do not answer my question at all. You sidestep around it and of course go back to homosexuality like you do with everything.
How is it okay to forgive someone for doing something that is morally reprehensible, and to punish someone for eternity if they don't believe? Why would God punish people for using the brain he gave them? Your god would be morally inferior for such behavior. He's certainly less intelligent if he can't see the flaw in that judgement.
And you are morally inferior as well, for you believe the words of a book which condone slavery, rape, murder, and infanticide, yet you want to turn around and tell people they're bad because of things they do that do _not_ hurt anyone.
Most of your posts use cliche arguments that are made with circular reasoning and divine fallacy. You can't answer a simple godd--n question. I'm sure that there are thousands of questions you've avoided on this forum. Instead of making a case for your side, you just spew madness and say "Well if that's what you want to believe."
Everyone will Hear!
Everyone will Choose!
If you're that GOOD (In your own eyes)...
Get on the Boat....Or Not!
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#79194 May 22, 2012
now of course I am having trouble with that same idiot who uses the names of others, and writes stupid comments. I think every one knows I am from Iowa, since there are so few Iowans on topix - most of us out working especially farming or work in small towns and thriving cities, or on well-deserved breaks after school years at mostly very good schools.(no cost to state of Iowa for that promotional). you deserve no answer for your comment because you are an impersonator and imposter, and also because you misrepresent content as well, and also because you are not liked by anyone at all.
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text>
You missed my point.
The POINT was that I realize literature is taught in public schools. Lots of "non-factual" literature, in fact... stories, fables, mythology, etc.
Razor said she preferred not to send her brats to a school where fairy tales are taught, so she chose public schools where they only teach "facts and science."
She apparently didn't realize your point that literature such as this is very much a part of public school teaching.
As far as you not approving about what name anybody uses, am I supposed to change my behavior based on what you approve or disprove?
Riiiiggghhhtt. I'll do that.
I believe Marquis de Sade said it best..
"A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others."
He supported homosexuals, so I'm sure all you folks will lovingly embrace that quote.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#79195 May 22, 2012
I think the Winchester person is the same one giving trouble to several other regular commenters on topix. by using their names. maybe we should all refuse to reply to that it with no name??
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#79196 May 22, 2012
this was to yaa. it causes me to think again about the person who objected to your use of the term Christians as a generalization sometimes. Maybe that person is too shy to challenge yaa openly, but is privately appalled at that version of Christianity. how do we draw such persons out. if they feel that atheists will be nasty to them, and then they know that fundies will be nasty to them, and if they see so few other nice and kind Christians on topix - we need to be the ones most welcoming and encouraging to them, I think. who else will do it? the fundies would rip them apart for not threatening us with hell like they do.
EssentialSalts wrote:
<quoted text>
You do not answer my question at all. You sidestep around it and of course go back to homosexuality like you do with everything.
How is it okay to forgive someone for doing something that is morally reprehensible, and to punish someone for eternity if they don't believe? Why would God punish people for using the brain he gave them? Your god would be morally inferior for such behavior. He's certainly less intelligent if he can't see the flaw in that judgement.
And you are morally inferior as well, for you believe the words of a book which condone slavery, rape, murder, and infanticide, yet you want to turn around and tell people they're bad because of things they do that do _not_ hurt anyone.
Most of your posts use cliche arguments that are made with circular reasoning and divine fallacy. You can't answer a simple godd--n question. I'm sure that there are thousands of questions you've avoided on this forum. Instead of making a case for your side, you just spew madness and say "Well if that's what you want to believe."
Yes and Amen

Pikeville, KY

#79198 May 22, 2012
JustSaying28 wrote:
<quoted text>
to answer your question... The bible says the only sinner that can't be forgiven is a non believer. It says how can one rise above and ask the lord to be forgiven if one does not believe in the lord.
And What a Great day that was! Amen!
04/04/04 @ 04 seconds after midnight, I spent 40 Glorious days
and nights in Jail, getting re-aquainted with the Lord
Thank you Lord Jesus!
Amen!

“Memento mori”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#79199 May 22, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
I think the Winchester person is the same one giving trouble to several other regular commenters on topix. by using their names. maybe we should all refuse to reply to that it with no name??
He has been a pest to me to say the least. He's followed me to troll in several threads. He is only trying to get a rise out of people. But I do notice that some of his posts have been deleted.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#79202 May 22, 2012
JustSaying28 wrote:
<quoted text>
to answer your question... The bible says the only sinner that can't be forgiven is a non believer. It says how can one rise above and ask the lord to be forgiven if one does not believe in the lord.
now I replied to this once, and I replied to another of your comments that seemed to be more kindly in tone, I think, and I am confused a bit. If one needs to be forgiven, and does not believe, why does one need to be forgiven by the socalled lord? one needs to be forgiven by the living creature that one has harmed, of course, and by all who love that creature, and all who identify with similar beings. to be forgiven, you must make reparations to the fullest extent possible to the one you have injured and those who are also hurt by the injury to him/her/or it. you must endeavor never to inflict such harm on any other living being again, and to try to help others harmed by others as well. if your sin is smoking, you harm yourself, and you should quit, and you harm anyone who is around you when you smoke. you should make it up by having a very clean smokefree and pollution free house and car and environment. if your sin is drinking and driving, never do it again. if your sin is doing any wilful injury to another, never do it again. the answer to how can I be forgiven is - "when you do not do it again" and that is for starters. you must pay for the full cost of the injury to whomever you have injured, and ask for forgiveness and ask for suggestions as to what else you can do to repair the damage and hurt to that being - if a person ask the person if he can reply, if a mute person or an animal, get someone who understands him to reply as to his opinion. pay vets for taking care of injured strays is one good suggestion for making up damages to poor critters you might have hurt or killed.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

London, KY

#79203 May 22, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
Yea!!
Yes and Amen

Pikeville, KY

#79204 May 22, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> you are correct, it would have a tremendous impact if it were taught in our public schools. It would mean that we are no longer a democracy, that we no longer have religious freedom, that we are instead a theocratic tyranny - which is what many of the fundies want.
If you want to have your religion taught in a church-sponsored Sunday school, with no government funds or employees involved in an official capacity, you have that right under the first amendment freedom of religion clause. You have no right to impose your religion in public schools paid for with taxpayers money, or to have any government employee involved in facilitating the teaching of any religion in a public school, or the observing of any religion in a public school in any way disruptive to the ordinary school activities - which should include learning rational thinking, which of course would be a very dangerous thing for the fundies if it actually were learned.
Blessed is the Nation who's God is the Lord!
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#79205 May 22, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text>
Grab the torches! Rally a mob, I mean support group. Band together for the good of topix! Let us unite!
LOL
Better yet, just ignore the people who hurt your feelings... if you can.
I'm sure all the people I intimidate will heed your groveling plea.
You're like some kind of topix saint, aren't you?
Pathetic... yet strangely amusing.
oh, it sounds too stuck up for me to be telling me that I sound like a sort of topix saint, but I agree that I am mostly very nice to nice people. I seldom get my feelings hurt by inferior persons like you, whoever you are with no name of your own - no wonder you are so silly in thinking you intimidate folks, when you annoy them mostly in a way that a swarm of knats might. have you considered talking to a professional therapist about your lack of an identity of your own?
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#79208 May 22, 2012
EssentialSalts wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the one post I made to you on the Essential YouTube thread was deleted, Salty.
It seems I hurt your feelings and you chose the route to censorship. How wimpy.
It's not like Chris Tolles put out an A.P.B. on me. Any post can be deleted if you send in the feedback form. Is that supposed to "put the fear in me"?
LOL
I'm ecstatic to learn that I've been a thorn in your side, though.
You brought a little smile to my face.
*smirk*
yes, you are like a little swarm of knats, more than a thorn. I actually do not know what to think about having CT put out an apb on you. censorship would imply that you were something more than a mere bother, except in case of a particular comment that is bad enough on its own merits, other than your little game of using the names of others. you are not even good at discrediting your own town, since no one there would like you either, or take credit for your existence there if you even live there. how can you be ecstatic, and enjoy smirking. you seem like a very juvenile person and maybe you are a juvenile, or a child even?
Yes and Amen

Pikeville, KY

#79209 May 22, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> obviously some fool from louisiana has tried to use my name. I hate to think that it might be typical of folks from La. I have always protested against imposters, even against those who are mocking people I strongly disagree with. imposters are a form of scam. if anyone has any standards of civility on topix, one should oppose them, no matter whom they impersonate.
Finaly.... you've said something I can agree with!
LOL... I had to double check, cause I thought it was you...
sorry for the doubt!
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#79210 May 22, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea!!
yes, but he is such a mere thing. would it not perhaps hurt his psyche to not acknowledge that he exists, even if he has no name. I begin to feel sorry for him, and think he needs some help.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#79211 May 22, 2012
EssentialSalts wrote:
You people sure are thin skinned when you find somebody who disagrees with your nonsense.
I imagine you as the little quivering, sniveling kids huddled together in the corner of the playground whining about the "big, bad bullies."
Perhaps you're in over your head on topix if your feelings are that fragile.
On that note, EssentialSalts and Quanty would like to invite you all to their YouTube party where it's nice and safe and you can all watch relevant videos of bunnies and unicorns while listening to Daryl Hall & John Oates.
you poor thing. If you see yourself as a bully, and want to be, what is wrong with you? are people unkind to you in real life and are you trying to hurt others? are you feeling pleased to think you are hurtful? that is a very sick response, if others are bullying you in real life. If you do not dare stand up to them, you should tell someone at school, some adult you trust, that you are being bullied and cannot stand it, and are trying to bully others in a way that does not get you hurt, but it still does not work to stop the others who are bullying you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buffalo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Good subject and good Poster 13 min mOd 3
Green River Marina (Nov '10) 14 min idc ne more 168
Sub-Orbital Dog Grooming Service 38 min Business Man 1
Brent thompson 2 hr Ball Biting Citizen 2
Well, this is just a little Peyton Place and yo... 3 hr Marie Dressler 2
creepy guy at ice cream shop 4 hr Marie Dressler 5
Busted 5 hr Craftsman 12
Buffalo Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web