Remembering a son: Six months after deadly accident, father wil...

Scott Carlson spent a day and a half searching for his son at local hospitals after hearing that Robin Carlson, 35, had been airlifted after a fall at the Brookdale Inn and Spa in September. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Too Bad

Pacifica, CA

#23 Mar 23, 2010
I was going to do a show at the Brookdale lodge, I walked in.....and walked right the hell out. That place is a dump. There was a dark construction area, I recall.....NOT seeing fenced off.
bikerscum

San Jose, CA

#24 Mar 23, 2010
Mid-County Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Hopefully you will never lose a loved one in such a tragic manner. And if you do, I hope that you won't have to read brain-dead comments from dolts like you about it.
Could be wrong, but I THINK the poster who you are criticizing was commenting on Kakkar, not the Carlson's. Kakkar claims HE is the victim in all the lawsuits, etc. against him.
In The Know

Hayward, CA

#25 Mar 23, 2010
Sad wrote:
A friend of mine was in that bar that night and remembers that the guy that fell into the hole was so drunk that he could hardly walk.
It's the drunk that is owed the highest duty of care. The drunk can't care for himself.
Drunk Is Dangerous

San Jose, CA

#26 Mar 23, 2010
Stop blaming the owner.The kid was a drunk, and killed himself.There is no such thing as safety proofing anywhere for a drunk person.Parties I've run/attended have ended up with fistfights,people walking into walls and smashing faces,unsafe sex.Although the drunk is a lot more fun than the stoner, I've never had an accident with a stoner.I've stopped providing alcohol at any of my parties, I just can't control peoples insatiable thirst and irresponsible uncoordinated movements. Driving drunk is a recipe for murder.BTW, there is no legal minimum if there is a fatality. More than a few people are rotting away in prison, after running over some kid(they all say the same thing- it wasnt my fault- he ran in front of my car...)
John

United States

#27 Mar 23, 2010
Drunk Is Dangerous wrote:
Stop blaming the owner.The kid was a drunk, and killed himself.There is no such thing as safety proofing anywhere for a drunk person.Parties I've run/attended have ended up with fistfights,people walking into walls and smashing faces,unsafe sex.Although the drunk is a lot more fun than the stoner, I've never had an accident with a stoner.I've stopped providing alcohol at any of my parties, I just can't control peoples insatiable thirst and irresponsible uncoordinated movements. Driving drunk is a recipe for murder.BTW, there is no legal minimum if there is a fatality. More than a few people are rotting away in prison, after running over some kid(they all say the same thing- it wasnt my fault- he ran in front of my car...)
The problem with your logic is that it precludes the possibility that any unsafe conditions (on the part of the owner/operator of the Lodge) existed at all by simply saying that Mr. Carlson was drunk. You can't make a generalization that broad, and you can't say that anything Mr. Carlson did or didn't do equated with all that you have seen other done by other inebriated people. We all have had bad experiences with drunks, but it doesn't necessarily apply here.
Gail

San Diego, CA

#28 Mar 26, 2010
Pico wrote:
<quoted text>Sure rob was a guy who like to tear it up and have some beers but there should of not been a hole that was not covered around a place where people were drinking, not to mention was it fenced off? How was the lighting around the area,were there signs warning people of a hazard. There is a lot to this story we don't know hopefully it will come out if there is a trial.Rob was a good quy and know there is a lot of people that miss him. Rob I know there is a mean barbecue and good fishing were you are at. Rest easy my friend.
Your comments are right on the money... Yes, Rob enjoyed his beer time, but there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that he did that excuses the blatant disregard for life and property that should be rightfully attributed to the less than law abiding owner of the Lodge, Sanjiv Kakkar. I trust that Kakkar will rot in hell, but not before this trial exposes him for the idiot he is.
I was once married to Rob's uncle and have known Rob since he was in elementary school... his was a pure, loving and beautiful soul. Rob did not deserve this and his family does not deserve the pain they are going through. Nothing will bring sweet Robby back, but winning the case against Kakkar would at least help them feel that some type of justice has been meted out.
We love you Rob, and you will be in our hearts always... and have fun at that barbecue!!!
patron

Santa Cruz, CA

#29 Mar 27, 2010
yikes wrote:
<quoted text>
Guess whose business probably served him??? Kakkar's!
Was there last night...What a mess...The bartender (the big blonde gal)is a wanna be n_azi, open, unlit rooms everwhere with endless trip hazards (I looked in through the window outside over the creek and there were people crawling around in there at 1:00am in the dark), people smoking inside, bringing in alcohol from outside (it didn't help that they closed the bar to "outsiders" before 2, as the band that was scheduled to perform didn't show up until 1:30!!), poor communication about show times, ticket costs and availability, yadayada...The management seemed well-intentioned, but in way over their heads...

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#30 Mar 27, 2010
Hmmm...

WAY too much alcohol. True in nearly 95% of accidental deaths and injuries.

As sad as this is at least he didn't jump on his Harley(?)and kill someone else too.

Kakkar is a decent guy trying to make a living as about the 150th owner of a dump. He is obviously doomed here. But knocking him for his name or ethnicity is not the "American Way".

There is no dough in SLV to support this place. Never was. Never will be. Even in the 50's/60's it was dependent on vacationers/well-heeled visitors.

I am very sorry for Mr. Carlson's loss. But his lawsuit seems an obvious grab for the big $. If he is so torn up howcome he was clueless for a day and a half? Was he that unfamiliar with his son's "friends"/habits/lif e that he stumbled around for that long? Couldn't the police/air ambulance co. say where he went? Too much here does not make any sense at all. Gee - do you think is is being repped by a personal injury lawyer looking for 60% of a big insurance payoff? Now that is the NEW American Way!

Ironically this will spell the end for the once delightful Brookdale Inn. Fifty years ago as a kid we would stay there for a week or so in the summer and I have fond memories of those times. Civilized times - long gone.
CLC

Santa Cruz, CA

#31 Apr 30, 2010
Um...Mr.Sanjiv Kakkar, yes, it does belong to the people of San Lorenzo Valley and you sir have raped and pillaged and plundered it to smithereens, you should be in prison for the rest of your natural born life and not only that "we the people" of San Lorenzo Valley... Don't want you to lay hands on OUR Lodge ever ever again. you sir, have done enough to destroy the natural beauty,peacefulness and sereneness of our historical lodge..and because of you and your "upgrades" if you can even call it that(It looks like every other Commercial Hotel like you'd find in a city now)- it will never be the same again. You took away the history of this lodge and her Ghost Story, Removed the famous painting then tried to hokey rig it back up and it looks horrible! nothing like it's original! Thank God they caught you before you were able to touch the Brook Room! Do yourself a favor if i were you.. Go to jail and stay there. we don't want you here.
CLC

Santa Cruz, CA

#32 Apr 30, 2010
cwatbay wrote:
The place has a history of SLV hack contractors and unlicensed handymen working piece meal on this place - forget about permits.
How can you say this? and how dare you say such a thing about OUR valley.For your information we have a very strong and very licensed and very loyal and very reliable source of contractors, construction workers etc all through our valley..all backed by unions and some family owned, so next time you decide to spout this off do your research, open a phone book or local directory for our valley.thanks.

don't know about the rest of my valley, but i'd rather have a mountain boy do my work on my home/property/business than some hyped up contractor from the city that doesn't even live here! at least with a mountain boy i know it will be done right the first time, and they won't take advantage of me either.
CLC

Santa Cruz, CA

#33 Apr 30, 2010
Drunk Is Dangerous wrote:
did you know him? cause i did, he wasn't a drunk. or a kid. he lived/worked at the lodge so before you judge someone you have never met, do some homework .
old school

Fair Oaks, CA

#34 May 8, 2010
Places that serve alcohol have a special duty to make sure that patrons are safe. This includes bartenders who cut them off, security guards who patrol and deal with the drunks and call the Sheriff as needed if it looks like they're going to drive off (and kill someone) or sleep in the bushes, and a manager who doesn't slack on the details like shrubbery and lighting and trip hazards.

The best way to deal with lawsuits is to prevent them in the first place. No one "wins" a lawsuit, they just spend money and energy until it's over years later.
Jimmy James

Sedona, AZ

#35 Jun 11, 2010
The man comes in and invests 6.5 million bucks only to find he owns a place where the locals think they own the property are drunks, druggies, or pedifiles. What a mess of a neighborhood that makes regular people stay away!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brookdale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Teens left Westside park when gang members show... (Apr '10) 2 hr Donny B 427
Aryan Nations recruiting again in northern Idaho (Apr '09) 3 hr homeless person 338
Rip Curl signs lease for Rittenhouse Building i... 10 hr Donny B 3
Is the person who wrote this nuts? Wed John Colby 11
Archive for Jim Spring posts (Dec '13) Wed John Colby 877
cfabsc (Jan '14) Wed John Colby 585
The Brookdale Club (May '14) May '14 pc thomas 1
Brookdale Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Brookdale People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Brookdale News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Brookdale