Barbara Good

Stamford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2012

I went to Mamaroneck Avenue School, Mamaroneck Junior High School and graduated from MHS in 1952. It was the greatest times and a great place to grow up in. Harbor Island was the place to be all summer having fun with friends. Remember the fire fighters parades? Now that was fun during the parade and then on to harbor island for more fun.

I was married to my love from MHS Sam Condro. We went thru high school together. We married while he was in the USAF and lived in Kansas. Had two sons. I am now married to Dan and live in Connecticut, but I still consider Mamaroneck my home. I have a lot of family still living there.
Adam

Canberra, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2012

Thanks Frank, it was indeed the Tung Hoy. I was telling my wife about it only the other night. For a young boy in the very late seventies, having moved to the US from Australia to be swept in to the vast warehouse floor that was the Tung Hoy was like going from Kansas to Oz.

It was an incredible experience, the place was warm, all sizzle and steam and waiters burtling to and fro and then out would come our tables Pu Pu Platter, it was like the running of the Olympic Torch, people from other tables would give a lazy stare to see who was getting the jumbo Pu Pu, the little blue flame evoking balmy nights in the tropics under tiki torches.

I long to feel that alive again, don't know that it is possible. Thanks Frank.
Caverly Stringer

Larchmont, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2012

Barrie wrote:
Hi John,
Do you remember when the circus came to town at the corner of Rockland and Palmer Avenues? The Sara Newman Nursing home is there today. What kid today can go and watch a circus being put together and walk around and see what they were doing? How about ice skating at Seven Hills? Now it's condo's. And do you remember the frog pond which is now the Jewish Center?
I just discovered this forum and am following the threads with much delight! Not only do I remember the circus (The Clyde Beatty Circus, to be exact, which came every other summer) I lived right across the street at 828 Palmer Avenue (next to the Mobil gas station (Still there.)

I also wrote about it in the opening chapters of my second memoir "Sleepaway School," (under the pen name Lee Stringer) published by Seven Stories Press. I am now almost finished with my third memoir in which I mention the Bevan Inn in Larchmont Manor.

As I remember the place went to seed and at one point was the home of a lot of (then)young, pothead types. Does anyone out there remember any of this? I could sure use some refreshing of my recollection. It would be great if you could email me at lstrgr@optonline.net.

One of you mentioned Brewers. Do you remember my brother, Wayne Stringer, who worked there?

I left to work in TV in 1970. After that I lived in NYC for 25 years. I have been back in Mamaroneck for the last fifteen years or so, and am loving this forum. LET KEEP IT GOING!
Louis C

Niantic, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2012

I remember the circus. My brother and I and several other kids carried pails of water for the animals for Bill Baker's Mobil Station. My first "job" was pumpinbg gas for Bill. Gas was 24.9c a gallon. Used to hunt rats at the dump, now the Newman Home. I graduated from Stepinac 1953.Did not see any of M H S football games. Stepinac games were played at Memorial Stad in Mt Vernon as we didn't have a field there.
Gracie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2012

Barbara,
Are you related to Nancy Good? I remember her from Central School back in the fifties.
jaye california

Orange, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2012

jimhadges gmail wrote:
I am sitting here in Arizona , as my mind wonders i scroll through the pages, i had come across this site. my grandfather who owned MAYER OF WESTCHESTER VOLVO. Who by the way is doing just fine. John just moved from Florida to upper New York to be with his sister after the loss of his wife Dorothy, my grandmother. Just to say hello and maybe there might be someone here that may know my sister jean or I. Sure do miss the way things use to be. WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THE NEWER GENERATION? Boy oh boy how times and people have changed. Sure do remember the Loyal Inn and riding in the parade every year with my grandfather pulling a float. Sure do miss the good ol days, sure do have alot of great memmories.
I think my grandmother Beth Yench was a friend of Dolly and John Mayer's-She lived in Wurtsboro and they lived on Yankee Lake as I recall-She actually knew them from New Rochelle NT where she lived and worked most of her life
bob s

Chino, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

Michael L wrote:
<quoted text> Marciano's Bakery was 56 Third Street in New Rochelle.
The restaurant across from the jr. hi was the wedge king. I am also a 1960 graduate of MHS
Joni

Bethel, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2012

I am also a 1960 graduate of MHS - now live in Bethel CT. Remember Wedge King.
Eddie B

Ridgefield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

To Bob S. I used to eat lunch at the Wedge King several times a week back in the late 1950's. They had a great lasagne. However as I remember it, the Wedge King was located a little further down the road from accross the Jr High. It was about accross the Post Rd. from Robards. The restaurant directly accross from the Jr. High and in front of the Mamatoneck Motel was Lanci's. Owned by the two Lanci brothers.
Harbor Hghts baby boomer

Missoula, MT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2012

Lavender Sunset wrote:
I lived in Larchmont from 1949 until 1983. Went to school at St Augustines. Loved Broderson's Deli. Had the greatest roast beef sandwiches with extra mayo on rye bread. Loved them. I am almost a vegan now, but I can still taste those sandwiches loved them rare. There was a bakery on the way home from school on Chatsworth Avenue they had the greatest eclares. I would stop there almost every day after school. I think. YUM. Behind the Post Office there was a hill, it was great to roll down. That was really a long time ago. There was a restaurant in Mamaroneck. One story made of stone. On the post road, it was really special, had a great patio and I think a band every once in a while. Does anyone remember the Italian Restaurant almost across from Mamaroneck Jr. High, it had great pasta and pizza, I remember Chanti and candles dripping with wax on to red and white checked tableclothes. I loved the Duck Pond and the waterfall. And Sheldrake Woods and the beach in Rye where the Horseshoe Crabs came to mate everyear. How about Manor Park and the Gazebos. I was sixteen and loved the wind and the waves, so there I was in the middle of a hurrcaine holding on for dear life. Literally, the gazebo overlooked Manor Beach. Loved Walter's Hot Dogs, can still taste them. And Cook's fried clams with french fries and tartar sauce. How about Niki's Pizza on Chatsworth Avenue near the RR.
Does anyone remember Maxl's in White Plains. How about trips to Jones Beach. What was the name of the bar/restaurant across from the entrance to the Hudson Park Marina? Where was the Marciano's Bakery that some one mentioned?
Wow! Thanks for bringing back so many memories.
I graduated in 1960 if any one on this site is from that era, I would love to hear from you. I am living in Maine now, many moves and many adventures.
My brother graduated in the MHS class of 1960, just had their 50th reunion 2 years ago, sounded like a great time...He played Ice Hockey and Baseball at MHS with the scars to prove it. I graduated in '69, my other brother in '68. Your post brought back lots of memories..I've lived in Montana for many years and tell my frienda bout growing up in Mamaroneck-Larchmont, what a great place to have been raised. My dad was born in Mamaroneck in 1910, Mam'k's first eagle Scout!
The Thaw

Palmetto, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

sley riding in mid winter on Bonnie Briar golf course!
skating on the frozen duck pond..
rockingstone ave
walters hot dogs..yum
the park on long island sound in mamaroneck....whats the name of it?
dudleys on the water.. in new rochelle
loyal inn bowling
playing ice hockey at playland in rye
sals pizza on mamaroneck ave
the Corner store in Larchmont
the beautiful Washington Arms restaurant my father owned!.....
hanging out in The Manor....
murray ave elementary school..
Mamaroneck Jr high..
The Resevoir in...Larchmont? new rochelle?
memories, Great Place to grow up in... 1958-1974
The Thaw

Palmetto, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Adam,.....ahhh yes... Tung Hoy was a weekly stop with the gang in the 60's and early 70's for us!!!!as was Cook's..just up the boston post rd. a few hundred yards...
Also,...It was the Bevan , in the Manor, we drank there often in the late 60's
We used to get served real alcohol drinks at the very small dive.. Pink Poodle in New Rochelle on Saturday nights....thing was, we were maybe 16 yrs old....1967-68...
Did you ever go into the record shop in Larchmont owned by the cool hip black guy, 1965-66???...
Taking the train in to Manhattan and hanging out in Greenwich Village was a favorite weekend
pastime in 1966 '67 '68....
Those days are long gone and never to be repeated nor seen again,

Since: May 13

Elizabeth, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Louis C wrote:
I remember the circus. My brother and I and several other kids carried pails of water for the animals for Bill Baker's Mobil Station. My first "job" was pumpinbg gas for Bill. Gas was 24.9c a gallon. Used to hunt rats at the dump, now the Newman Home. I graduated from Stepinac 1953.Did not see any of M H S football games. Stepinac games were played at Memorial Stad in Mt Vernon as we didn't have a field there.
Louis I think that was the Hunt Brothers Circus.Its Sara Neuman nursing home now.
Sallyann Ssalerno

Murrells Inlet, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2013

Bob Frattarola did you live in harbor heights? brother joe ??? he had a convertible and used to take us for a ride with the top down and the heat on? frosty's ice cream place the best..and great memories too.
Sallyann Salerno

Murrells Inlet, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2013

Was an error in my name, but do have fond memories of Mamaroneck for sure. summer roller skating at the harbor, and in winter they froze it for us to ice skate. and the battle of the bands also?
Andrew

Port Chester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2013

Sally, Say hi to Rose
Sallyann Salerno

Murrells Inlet, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2013

HI ANDREW I sure will. she is living in nice place one mile from me. I know she loved all your siblings, and you used to visit her now and then when she was still in N.Y.
Lori Patchen

Dover Plains, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2013

hiya :) If anyone grew up with my Dad, David Patchen from Maple Ave back in the 1950's, I will be throwing him a surprise 70th birthday party mid November 2013 in Dutchess County, NY ...would love to blow him away with a blast from the past from any of his old buddies from the neighborhood
JOHN MCINTYRE

Hopewell Junction, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

HI LORI,
I AM CLOSE TO YOUR FATHERS AGE. GREW UP IN MAMARONECK AND WENT TO MAMARONECK H.S. LIVED ON DELANCEY AVE. I MIGHT KNOW YOUR FATHER BUT NEED ADITIONAL INFO AS TO WHERE HE WENT TO H.S. ETC. I LIVE IN FISHKILL.
Frank Sturino

Scottsdale, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2013

Hi Lori Yes I knew your Dad when he lived in MK I also new you grandfathernd and uncle. We used to play a lot Gin a card game maney all nighters with him Bob Adamo and I.Please ask him to check his memory I think he owes me a $20 dollar bill HA HA.Pease wish him a happy birthday. Tell him I live in A Z and still playing Gin once a week

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 301 - 320 of333
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Freeze Watch for Westchester County was issued at April 17 at 7:44AM EDT

•••
•••

Bronxville News Video

•••
Bronxville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Bronxville Jobs

•••