Optimist brings out the best

Mar 28, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Daily Times

Young hopefuls from around northeast Oklahoma will gather in Pryor Saturday night to perform at Pryor High School Auditorium in the Pryor Creek Optimist Club's first annual "Bringing Out the Best in Kids" Talent Show.

Comments
1 - 9 of 9 Comments Last updated Oct 23, 2012

“Better days”

Since: Jan 09

Poteau, OK

#1 Mar 29, 2009
Optimism is great. Because of the horrible economy I've lost my job, my wife, my house, my dog and both my primary and secondary reasons for living. But on the bright side my effective tax rate is 0%.

I didn't actually lose my job but feel for those that have. If you decide to go out in a blaze of glory I hope you take a rich banker with you.:)
Bell

Houston, TX

#2 Jul 26, 2012
There's a story told about an elderly lady in South Bell. The state voted----AND horry-norry Fall-in VETOED IT) to increase welfare payments to indigents. Hoping for a tear-jerker story, a Tulsa television interviewer went into the back hills where many welfare recipients lived.

The old woman he chose to interview lived in a one-room shack: draughty in winter; stifling in summer. Her bed was a few rough planks nailed together, with a pine-needle mattress. A couple thin blankets, and a fireplace, did little to protect her from the cold.

Her furniture, a table and two chairs, were fashioned from the same rough wood as her bed. Some shelves held a few cans of food from the general store, a fifteen mile walk down the road. Several jars of preserves and a few squash completed her larder.

She had no fridge or freezer. The fireplace provided heat for cooking. With no phone or television her only connection with the outside world was an old radio that pulled in two or three local stations on a good day.

The old woman had one convenience, running water. A crystal clear stream gurgled a short distance behind her home.

A small garden near her back door provided fresh vegetables during the summer, and some squash and turnips for the winter. A tidy flower garden brightened the front of her house.

The television crew arrived and set up their big expensive cameras. Their mobile station broadcast pictures of the woman and the place she called home.

Eventually the interviewer asked the old woman, "If the government gave you $200 more each month, what would you do with it?"

Without hesitation the woman replied, "I'd give it to the poor."

Since: Jul 12

Oklahoma City, OK

#3 Jul 26, 2012
I always hated talent shows as a kid. My etch-a-sketch talents never did much for a quick skit, and the singing, dancing girl always one. I was pretty good with a pogo stick, but nobody ever cared.
One

United States

#4 Jul 31, 2012
I alway hated to be in those little shows in the church. Never fit in. The preacher's brat always got the good part of playing satan.

I always had to play an angel or a tree. No speaking parts.

The preacher sons went on to become famous bank robbers and I had to settle on being a Corporate Raider and screwing people over.
Anonymous

El Monte, CA

#5 Oct 5, 2012
DistinctlyOK wrote:
I always hated talent shows as a kid. My etch-a-sketch talents never did much for a quick skit, and the singing, dancing girl always one. I was pretty good with a pogo stick, but nobody ever cared.
I cared.
hick

Wagoner, OK

#6 Oct 5, 2012
Left Hooverville wrote:
Optimism is great. Because of the horrible economy I've lost my job, my wife, my house, my dog and both my primary and secondary reasons for living. But on the bright side my effective tax rate is 0%.
I didn't actually lose my job but feel for those that have. If you decide to go out in a blaze of glory I hope you take a rich banker with you.:)

we should not have to pay for the choices that others decided to make. go find a cheaper dog!
hick

Wagoner, OK

#7 Oct 5, 2012
up yours!

“Let's talk like adults, eh?”

Since: Sep 12

Tulsa

#8 Oct 5, 2012
Haywire83 wrote:
<quoted text>
I cared.
As did I.
Hmmm

Wichita, KS

#9 Oct 23, 2012
DistinctlyOK wrote:
Thats because most of the judges at those things are pedophiles. I cant believe some of the shit that goes through some of these teachers heads while watching highschool sports and jr high sports. I have a friend who is a neurologist that studies peoples thought patterns and stuff like that while doing different things.
Crazy disgusting immoral as fuck teachers

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Broken Arrow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OK OK Health Care Freedom Amendment, State Questio... (Oct '10) 1 hr Mandy 75,224
Tulsa Couple Asks U.S. Supreme Court To Hear Ga... 1 hr eJohn 38
Directv referral code (Aug '12) 8 hr Robert Gatto 64
Oklahoma police chief pleads no contest to abuse 9 hr franksspot 2
Tusla Oklihomi 20 hr Okie Ignorants 1
Orange OSU Okie Ignorance Sun Tears 1
Y does DUI McNellie's tulsa Downtown want us to... Aug 30 aug 30 16
•••

Severe Thunderstorm Watch for Tulsa County was issued at September 01 at 9:45PM CDT

•••
•••
•••

Broken Arrow Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Broken Arrow People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Broken Arrow News, Events & Info